Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#1 » by LoyalKing » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Am I the only one that sees it this way ?

2013 FIFA u19 stats
18.2ppg/3.8apg 33% from 3p 60% FT

Sold the idea of a big PG, but he is really a SG with a huge scoring mentality that has shooting as his biggest weakness. Prefers to create for himself instead of creating for other. His stats clearly show it. Low amount of assists, very poor % from deep and very bad FT shooter for his position. His slashing is obviously great for his age, but he will be playing against men in the NBA.

To me he looks no different than Brandon Knight coming out of college. Am I missing something here ?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#2 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:53 pm

I think you are missing his speed combined with his size and length.

it isn't like he's a senior at 22 years and 4 years of college. He is barely 19. (or is he still 18 for a couple days, not terribly sure)

next time you watch him play look how fast he gets up the floor. He is like a 6'6" Ty Lawson.

could he be a bust? Sure. All of these kids have some bust potential. For my money Embiid is the highest risk due to his foot/back/knee.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#3 » by yitur » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:25 pm

I don't think calling injury riddled players a bust is right though. Nobody gets injured on purpose. Anyway, he will struggle at first so don't start calling him bust around december please. I also think he is the most likely to bust if we don't count Aaron Gordon because everyone was down on him before the draft even though he got selected 4th.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#4 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Honor goes to Aaron Gordon, by a significant amount.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:42 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Honor goes to Aaron Gordon, by a significant amount.

Yup, picked fourth, will produce like he was picked fourteenth.

I'm noticing a trend. Every year the fourth picks ends up being a major reach.

2014: Gordon
2013: Zeller
2012: Waiters
2011: Thompson
2010: Johnson

Weird.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#6 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 pm

yitur wrote:I don't think calling injury riddled players a bust is right though. Nobody gets injured on purpose. Anyway, he will struggle at first so don't start calling him bust around december please. I also think he is the most likely to bust if we don't count Aaron Gordon because everyone was down on him before the draft even though he got selected 4th.

I think if you know of the injury or injuries before you select you can call it a bust. If a guy gets injured after you pick him, well, that's a little different.

I have no problem labeling Embiid a bust if he can't play due to his foot or back.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#7 » by Fat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 pm

i dont get the feeling he'll be a bust but i dont think he'll jump into the NBA right away and make a big splash like some people are anticipating
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#8 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 pm

What's wrong with those stats you posted? (other than the FT shooting which can be improved).. looks like he was able to dominate against the best players his age.

He's got great size and athleticism, and he isn't a pure PG but by all accounts doesn't have tunnel vision. There are plenty of natural combo guards who learn to rack up assists.. Lillard, Rose, Westbrook, etc

A 6'6 Brandon Knight with passing skills, would be a matchup problem for opposing NBA teams. And remember Exum is coming into the league at 18
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#9 » by Winglish » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Dante Exum will be one of the fastest on-the-ball players in the league on day one. Good court vision, gives effort on defense, incredible length for his position...How the hell is that guy gonna bust?

Exum is MCW right now.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#10 » by Arsenal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:17 am

Winglish wrote:Dante Exum will be one of the fastest on-the-ball players in the league on day one. Good court vision, gives effort on defense, incredible length for his position...How the hell is that guy gonna bust?

Exum is MCW right now.

I like Exum a lot, but he's more of a SG while MCW is more of a pure PG. Exum should end up scoring more and assisting less than MCW.

Don't see him busting at all. Exum has everything it takes to be a star player, both the physical tools and the right stuff above the neck also. Something guys like Zach Lavine don't have.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,575

Post#11 » by basketballRob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:23 am

Winglish wrote:Dante Exum will be one of the fastest on-the-ball players in the league on day one. Good court vision, gives effort on defense, incredible length for his position...How the hell is that guy gonna bust?

Exum is MCW right now.

He might be top 50 fastest in NBA next season.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#12 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Anyone picked anywhere in the draft can be a "bust" by somebody's definition.

Is Exum's bust potential higher than anyone else? I don't think so. Like a lot of players taken in the top ten, he has tremendous athletic talent and needs to continue to improve at being an all around basketball player. And, that statement can just as easily be applied to Wiggins, Gordon, Vonleh, Smart and Payton.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#13 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Feels like he could be a bust to the average fan just because he has the fewest games against elite competition to get a reading on his skills. Hopefully the jazz have accounted for this in some manner. Personally I love what I've seen of him. He was a beast at the hoop summit. Stood out as being on par with Parker, Wiggins and Randle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#14 » by erudite23 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:53 pm

I think he does have the highest bust potential just because we don't know very much about him. Its the uncertainty that makes him both so intriguing and so risky. There are unanswered questions about him, like his shooting, just how much of a PG he is, etc....but if he had answered those questions in a full season of college bball, he would have been the consensus #1 pick in the draft. He has a tremendous package of skills and he's extremely young. There is massive upside there (MVP caliber) that you don't usually get at the #5 pick in the draft. Its the bust potential that drove him that far down.

Btw, its very telling that all the statistical models used to evaluate him are coming up with comparables to other PGs and not SGs. From what I've seen, he does have a scorers mentality, but he's also very unselfish and has very good vision and ball control. I think he can be as much of a PG as Manu has been, which will be enough to run him in 2 guard lineups (starting now with Trey Burke) and allow him to share the ball handling duties without having the full burden of running the team right out of the gate.

There's a lot of uncertainty there, but the potential is what makes it worth it.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm

All I can say is this.. Two teams who are high on him, sixers and the Magic, passed up on him. And it's not like they have an issue that he is raw and would take some time to develop and all that.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#16 » by Tave » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:18 pm

I think the fact that everyone is evaluating him based on his performance in a single tournament/game is extremely troubling, even more so when you consider that the Nike Hoop Summit is just a glorified exhibition game with a bunch of dudes who have never played with one another and don't play any sort of team defense or even that good of man-to-man.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#17 » by bigboi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:

Exum is MCW right now.

He might be top 50 fastest in NBA next season.

Is that really impressive? I think his speed is overrated, people act like he has a Westbrook like first step just because of that Hoop Summit
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
slc24
Junior
And1: 65

Post#18 » by slc24 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 pm

His speed is underrated if anything. His first step is ridiculous and that will be apparent early in his career.

People act like he was drafted high based solely off of the Hoop Summit. Just because that's the only game most American fans have seen of him, doesn't mean that the NBA front offices haven't seen him a ton more times.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#19 » by Marcus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 pm

what that left hand like though?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#20 » by Winglish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Is that really impressive? I think his speed is overrated, people act like he has a Westbrook like first step just because of that Hoop Summit

You're right. He tested a full tenth of a second slower than Westbrook. He also tested a tenth faster than Chris Paul, faster than Steph Curry, faster than Damian Lillard...Exum will be fine. 8-)

Return to NBA Draft