Image ImageImage Image

In Today's NBA, You Need to be able to Make Trades

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

In Today's NBA, You Need to be able to Make Trades 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:26 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/484869828071530497[/tweet]

It's becoming increasingly clear that a lack of money is going to be key in acquiring Anthony. Even if we had the ability to offer the max, we still would be offering quite a bit less than what NY could offer, so we'd be at an immediate disadvantage.

Now we're hearing that we can't even secure a meeting with James' agent for that very same reason. I know we all hate James, but it's a problem when the NBA's best player isn't interested in meeting with you but is interested in the Suns.

I've been extremely vocal over the years about the Bulls inability to make trades. They are downright terrible at them. I know some of you are dying to point out the McDermott trade, or the Eddy Curry trade that happened nearly a decade ago now, but let's be more nuanced than that. The Bulls aren't able to trade for established talents.

They're great at making trades for picks or ones that help them out financially, but they're probably worst in the league at actually acquiring established talent.

Hopefully this offseason has been eye opening. In today's NBA, it's becoming really advantageous to be skilled at making trades.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
patagonia
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Re: In Today's NBA, You Need to be able to Make Trades 

Post#2 » by patagonia » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:28 pm

Maybe they reached out through back channels and heard Lebron wasn't interested so why have a meeting?

People always assume the worst about the Bulls and it's getting really old.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#3 » by Evil_Headband » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:31 pm

What are all these great trades other teams are making that ranks the Bulls last?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#4 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:32 pm

patagonia wrote:Maybe they reached out through back channels and heard Lebron wasn't interested so why have a meeting?

Why is this your assumption? KC straight up said there was no meeting because the Bulls couldn't offer enough money.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#5 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:32 pm

Let's see if the reengage the Wolves on KLove.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
patagonia
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#6 » by patagonia » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:33 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
patagonia wrote:Maybe they reached out through back channels and heard Lebron wasn't interested so why have a meeting?

Why is this your assumption? KC straight up said there was no meeting because the Bulls couldn't offer enough money.

That's his assumption.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#7 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:33 pm

Evil_Headband wrote:What are all these great trades other teams are making that ranks the Bulls last?

Well we haven't made any trades for established talent, so by default we are last. It's not very hard to argue.

And to be clear, I'm not talking about trades for super stars. Just guys who can immediately help you.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:34 pm

patagonia wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

That's his assumption.

Uh ... well then.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,332

Post#9 » by fleet » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:41 pm

I've long had the theory that The Chairman would rather eat rotton eggs than go after Lebron after the charade in 2010 where Lebron conned the Bulls. Some people just don't forget getting swindled. I admire him for keeping his pride intact. Don't give it up. Not for anybody.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:45 pm

fleet wrote:I've long had the theory that The Chairman would rather eat rotton eggs than go after Lebron after the charade in 2010 where Lebron conned the Bulls. Some people just don't forget getting swindled. I admire him for keeping his pride intact. Don't give it up. Not for anybody.

Forget about James then. It doesn't change the point of my opening post.

Even if the Bulls are able to offer the max, they are at an immediate disadvantage when compared to the Free-Agent's current team. The new rules are designed to keep top talent at their current teams.

If we really want to get top talent, then we need to change our approach. We have to be aggressive on the trade front (i.e. Love), otherwise we are really unlikely to land that top FA.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#11 » by Evil_Headband » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:51 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Evil_Headband wrote:What are all these great trades other teams are making that ranks the Bulls last?

Well we haven't made any trades for established talent, so by default we are last. It's not very hard to argue.

And to be clear, I'm not talking about trades for super stars. Just guys who can immediately help you.

Ok, what are these smaller trades that other teams are making? We hardly ever see true basketball trades. It's almost always financial or trading the future for the present.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#12 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:53 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
fleet wrote:I've long had the theory that The Chairman would rather eat rotton eggs than go after Lebron after the charade in 2010 where Lebron conned the Bulls. Some people just don't forget getting swindled. I admire him for keeping his pride intact. Don't give it up. Not for anybody.

Forget about James then. It doesn't change the point of my opening post.

Even if the Bulls are able to offer the max, they are at an immediate disadvantage when compared to the Free-Agent's current team. The new rules are designed to keep top talent at their current teams.

If we really want to get top talent, then we need to change our approach. We have to be aggressive on the trade front (i.e. Love), otherwise we are really unlikely to land that top FA.

I agree that Bulls will have to make a real impact full trade now if they really are out of the Melo sweepstakes.

Let see what happens on the Love front though. Bulls already made an offer and it was rejected. It has been reported that the Wolves want to wait till after the Lebron and Melo dust settles and then they will start engaging teams again.

At that point is when Bulls have a shot again.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#13 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:57 pm

In Todays NBA you need to draft really well.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Zartan
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#14 » by Zartan » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:59 pm

How did the Bulls get swindled? Because he didn't choose to play with them?

Someone said it earlier in the Melo thread.....if you're a free agent and you're leaning toward signing with a certain team wouldn't it behoove you to explore all of your options before signing on the dotted line? Even if you might already know what you think you'd like?

This is the process of today's NBA free agency. Players want to be stroked and coddled. If you feel "swindled" by the process than you're being entirely to emotional about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need someone to set a pick for me at the free throw line of life....
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#15 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:59 pm

The only way the Bulls could dump enough money is to have a team with Rose, Noah, butler, Dougie and no one else - why the hell would he leave Miami for that?

We know it, the Bulls know it, and Lebron knows it.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,332

Post#16 » by fleet » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:01 pm

Zartan wrote:

How did the Bulls get swindled? Because he didn't choose to play with them?

Someone said it earlier in the Melo thread.....if you're a free agent and you're leaning toward signing with a certain team wouldn't it behoove you to explore all of your options before signing on the dotted line? Even if you might already know what you think you'd like?

This is the process of today's NBA free agency. Players want to be stroked and coddled. If you feel "swindled" by the process than you're being entirely to emotional about it.

yeah I know you Zartan. 2010 was on the up and up. Gahead.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Zartan
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#17 » by Zartan » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:02 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:The only way the Bulls could dump enough money is to have a team with Rose, Noah, butler, Dougie and no one else - why the hell would he leave Miami for that?

You don't think that's a better supporting cast than Wade, Bosh and ring chasers?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need someone to set a pick for me at the free throw line of life....
r1terrell23
Bench Warmer
And1: 540

Post#18 » by r1terrell23 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:03 pm

We will continue to bring in washed up vets and no stars until GarPax leaves.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#19 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:05 pm

Zartan wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:The only way the Bulls could dump enough money is to have a team with Rose, Noah, butler, Dougie and no one else - why the hell would he leave Miami for that?

You don't think that's a better supporting cast than Wade, Bosh and ring chasers?

With Rose having not played in two years? I think that's a tough sell.

I don't think Lebron is looking to leave Miami for 'maybe better'.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#20 » by TheStig » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:07 pm

If they traded away Rose and the spare parts they could offer Melo and Bron near max with Noah, Gibson, Butler and Dougie. Then they can resign DJ for the room exception.

Return to Chicago Bulls