ImageImageImage

SAVE TONY MITCHELL: Let him play 3 in the d-league

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

SAVE TONY MITCHELL: Let him play 3 in the d-league 

Post#1 » by vic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't want to see a level of talent like Tony Mitchell go to waste.

In the first 2014 Orlando summer league game I remember Isiah Thomas commentating, saying that Tony Mitchell was playing out of position, that he was never a back to the basket player, just a big and strong perimeter player. Isaiah Thomas is often disrespected for his failures, but he has a good track record for talent identification and is a hall of fame basketball mind.

I think people saw Tony Mitchell blocking shots and thought "post player," but he never really was. I looked through some of his youtube highlights and I have to agree with Isaiah Thomas. He seems to be most comfortable facing, shooting, and running towards the basket. His highlights are transition and faceup jumpshots and drives.

Honestly, he has to have the inner drive to succeed if he wants to be a star. But also honestly, not everyone comes from a culture where they learn how to "manage up." (Telling their authorities what to do for them in a nice way).

Instead of letting someone else get the benefits of his immense talent, why not have him develop his NBA faceup game in the d-league? The Pistons should make him the starting SF for the GR Drive. He has the skills, he just needs to develop his confidence and decision making.

He's not a post player. Let him play live minutes as a 3 or a face up 4. He might end up being the supertalented small forward that is missing from the roster, that they probably won't be bad enough to draft anymore now that they have a strong coach and system of play. #savetonymitchell

JTjarks scouting his sophomore year decline vs his potential:
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/26/4 ... 013-pacers

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZGKZA5ges[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzSdXjAh9U[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaQQSaaSTE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6tNGmh3ieE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW80uuzNg6E[/youtube]
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
ParrottK
Bench Warmer
And1: 17

Re: SAVE TONY MITCHELL: Let him play 3 in the d-league 

Post#2 » by ParrottK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:50 pm

He's an athletic face-up 4 who's not very good, not a 3. He's so lost out there most the time that it's painful to watch. There's always a chance he develops, but I'd be perfectly fine dropping him.

I don't agree with all of Stan's signings, but it's clear he's bringing in players that are mature and professional. I'm not sure Tony Mitchell matches what he's trying to do.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#3 » by DBC10 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I remember IT saying that Tony's favorite player and who he models his game over was McGrady which was interesting to hear.

I wonder if we should let him play out toward the perimeter instead. He doesn't look like he's ready for a post game at all. Maybe a classic "tweener" problems?
vic
Veteran

Post#4 » by vic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:11 pm

I think the benefit of letting him play the 3 is that it gets him more comfortable operating with the ball, and makes him a better face/stretch 4.

Kind of like playing pg makes you a better 3 and 2. That's why Orlando had Oladipo playing the 1. "Development."

I like what Stan is doing as far as going for a winning record. You gotta coach for your record. But at the same time a fully developed Tony Mitchell is a borderline all-star, and is likely to be loyal as well, to whoever believed in him and purposefully developed him. Isn't this what the "d" league is for? "Developmental league"
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#5 » by Billl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:18 pm

If he wasn't on a contract already, there is about zero chance SVG would sign him. He can't shoot. He doesn't compete. His work ethic is suspect. He's an amazing athlete that doesn't seem all that passionate about basketball.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#6 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 pm

He's a face-up 4 who has seemingly peaked three years ago while at UNT.

We all knew he was raw when we drafted him. But he's seemed to digress instead of maturing as a player.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,348

Post#7 » by hoophabit » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:43 pm

It's as good a suggestion as any in my book, although I'm not hopeful that Tony Mitchell will be saved. His college stats indicated he can shoot some, but the points about work ethic and passion for the game are well taken. It was his knucklehead second season in college that put him into the 2nd round. A wonderful object lesson as to why athletic potential isn't a guarantee of success.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,702

Post#8 » by theBigLip » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:04 pm

2nd rounders are long shots. A good 2nd round pick becomes a rotation player. I don't think Mitchell makes the cut. He was a good pick at #37, but the odds of them making a contribution are not great. Time to move on.
vic
Veteran

Post#9 » by vic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

i say at least give him a chance to play on the perimeter like he naturally plays before you discard him
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#10 » by Q00 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 pm

I think he's like the Terrico White of big men. He's only intriguing because he's a freak athlete who can make exciting dunks. He provides nothing else of actual basketball value though and seems to have a poor feel/understanding of the game.

If we weren't so loaded up front, I'd say keep him as a project, but if he can't ever get minutess because we have so many bigs in front of him, he won't ever develop here and probably better to use that roster spot on someone else.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#11 » by Phenomenonsense » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:25 pm

He still counts against the 15 roster slots, so this probably won't save him.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,179

Post#12 » by Notanoob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:47 pm

I personally hope that we keep him on the roster. He has some natural talent, but I don't want him to wash out. Stan is a guy who might be able to get through to him if he spends the season on the roster.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#13 » by dVs33 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Get Siva and Mitchell on the Drive in grand rapids and give them minutes.
When SVG manages to trade Bynum and the other dead weight contracts, get them back on the team.
I like Siva. and i think Mitchell could eventually "get it".
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#14 » by Ghost » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Hope Siva goes to the drive so we can pull him up eventually or maybe next year, I think he has a far better chace at being a rotation player. Mitchell is just an athletic beast who doesn't get it... And if you're his size and you're a 3, you better know how to post people up and defend the post up if you want to be a star type player. So regardless of the position change, I dont think he'd be that successful. I never though of him as having a great shot either.. It's not like we have Kevin Durant here and we're forcing him to play PF...
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#15 » by Finn McCool » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Let the man go to another team that will use him correctly.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#16 » by The Penguin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm

His best chance of sticking in the league is going to the Bruce Bowen school of "shut down D + corner 3s". He's never going to have the ball handling skills to be a true 3, but if he worked very hard on his defense and was able to hit the corner shot at a high rate there's a spot for him on most any team. Right now I think he's just happy being the guy who can do some cool dunks.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#17 » by jakebernat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:29 pm

I think he should learn how to play basketball, let alone a specific position

Sent from my SPH-L720 using RealGM Forums mobile app
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#18 » by epheisey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Why? He's an awful basketball player. He can jump high. That's about the extent of his basketball skills. He doesn't put in the time to get better. SVG even called him out on it. He will be lucky to remain in the league beyond training camp.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#19 » by Spider156 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Listen. Tony is brain dead. He's always lost on the floor and with all that athleticism, you'd think he can keep up. I'd take him out of the roster lineup.
Defense wins championships
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#20 » by need4detroit » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Dude always looks high as **** out there.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.

Return to Detroit Pistons