The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#1 » by CPT » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm

I thought we already had one of these, but I don't see it, so we can't be losing much by starting a new one.

From now on, please post anything about BJJ/grappling including events like Metamoris and ADCC in here.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#2 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Sorry for cluttering the other thread, I made one of these before and I was the only one who posted in it. I thought people may be interested in Sonnen and Barnett results.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,256

Post#3 » by Shaazzam » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Heh, I read it all. I just don' have much in the way of insight into these sports so I post very little.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Post#4 » by Jasen777 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 pm

How much larger was Barnett, was it really "only" 35 pounds? I know size can be overcome if there's enough difference is skill (like Sonnen's match), but kinda felt sorry for Lister there.

Also how good is that Cornelius guy? Pretty impressive performance against Vinny.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#5 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Jasen777 wrote:How much larger was Barnett, was it really "only" 35 pounds? I know size can be overcome if there's enough difference is skill (like Sonnen's match), but kinda felt sorry for Lister there.

Also how good is that Cornelius guy? Pretty impressive performance against Vinny.

At 22, the best American competitor at the moment, as well as the best chance for the U.S. to gain another black belt World champion in bjj. Kind of ironic since he is connected to BJ Penn in that his father iirc is actually the one who introduced BJ to jiu jitsu. He probably would have gotten the world title this year if not for a questionable DQ in which a lot of people claimed he was the victim of a bias against non-Brazilian grapplers. No idea if that's really a thing or not. Also had a bad decision go against him in ADCC that eliminated him from contention for that title. He's probably even better in the gi than without it, although awesome at both. He used to have mma aspirations but has since gone back on that a little, claims he learned more about brain damage, etc. and isn't interested anymore.

Also a super cool kid, despite being one of the most famous grapplers in the world, actually came out to do a tournament in which I competed in Madison, WI earlier this year. I had a chance to chat with him some, super down to earth guy with a good sense of humor.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by CPT » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm

REDDzone wrote:Sorry for cluttering the other thread, I made one of these before and I was the only one who posted in it. I thought people may be interested in Sonnen and Barnett results.

Oh it's not about clutter, just more about avoiding spoilers and stuff. I was going to move the other posts over, but I still haven't read them since I'm planning to watch the event, but haven't had time yet.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#7 » by Susan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Redd Zone, do you train with Danilo? I met him at Comprido's a few weeks back and could just tell he's a freaking beast. Everybody there had good things to say about the dude.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#8 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Susan wrote:Redd Zone, do you train with Danilo? I met him at Comprido's a few weeks back and could just tell he's a freaking beast. Everybody there had good things to say about the dude.

Yea man I'm really close with him, trained together for over two years now. He just moved down your way in the last month or two, I think he's at Comprido's although there are so many Brasas down there that I could be wrong. Such a beast, his triangles and guard are insane. He won double gold this weekend.

There is a vid of him competing against Keenan at the tourney I mentioned. He does pretty well for himself for a purple, you can see me watching in the background in the entire video, getting animated lol.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#9 » by Susan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 am

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:Redd Zone, do you train with Danilo? I met him at Comprido's a few weeks back and could just tell he's a freaking beast. Everybody there had good things to say about the dude.

Yea man I'm really close with him, trained together for over two years now. He just moved down your way in the last month or two, I think he's at Comprido's although there are so many Brasas down there that I could be wrong. Such a beast, his triangles and guard are insane. He won double gold this weekend.

There is a vid of him competing against Keenan at the tourney I mentioned. He does pretty well for himself for a purple, you can see me watching in the background in the entire video, getting animated lol.

Post a link to the video?

Yeah I saw him on a Saturday and it would make sense that he's training with Comprido. Unless he's dead set on living in the city and trains with Mota or the other guy in the city, Bloomingdale only makes sense.

I need to get back ASAP.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGDuCaXlaiM[/youtube]

BTW you can see me in the background at ~1:57ish looking like this with my hands over my head lulz:

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#11 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:55 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Also a super cool kid, despite being one of the most famous grapplers in the world, actually came out to do a tournament in which I competed in Madison, WI earlier this year. I had a chance to chat with him some, super down to earth guy with a good sense of humor.

You've gotten accomplished pretty quick!
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#12 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 pm

I also watch all the Metamoris events and follow the comments on here but got nothing to contribute. I've really grown to dislike Barnett, that was too bad to see...esp since the huge weight advantage lends itself to that particular submission.

Barnett is forever offering life-advice and comments about how to become "well-accomplished" that's really just shallow self-aggrandizing. Incessant bragging and narcissism. He even pulled out Kant and Heidegger during the Matamoris preview. "Everyday I want to come into [a home] that represents who I am...and is a creation of my own design."
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:16 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I also watch all the Metamoris events and follow the comments on here but got nothing to contribute. I've really grown to dislike Barnett, that was too bad to see...esp since the huge weight advantage lends itself to that particular submission.

Barnett is forever offering life-advice and comments about how to become "well-accomplished" that's really just shallow self-aggrandizing. Incessant bragging and narcissism. He even pulled out Kant and Heidegger during the Matamoris preview. "Everyday I want to come into [a home] that represents who I am...and is a creation of my own design."

I have a similar love/hate thing with Barnett that I have with Schaub. I just think he's an emo guy. I think he likes to be the outcast who is doing something different. If most grapplers in the US were playing catch, dude would be touting the merits of BJJ and I really believe that. I still remember a story he told on Ariel's podcast about how he went to a whiskey bar and guys were there talking about different whiskeys, etc. He talked about how he went up to them and told them off, something about are you going to drink it or talk about it all day? And then went in a corner and drank by himself. Cool story bro.

cowboyronnie wrote:You've gotten accomplished pretty quick!

Pshh. I'm blue now, but still terrible in the grand scheme. Crazy that its already pushing 2.5 years since I started, in large part motivated by a traneing thread from this board.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Ultimately I think metamoris will be held back by the usual Gracie BS. There has yet to be an event not marred by their shenanigans.

Ryron lays flat on his back and defends for 20 minutes against Galvao in the first one, letting him pass his guard while touting self defense / surviving. Bro, Galvao was a high level mma fighter, fighting in dream/strikeforce for years, you let that dude pass your guard and he would have broken your face. Later on he criticized Eddie for playing deep half, saying it didn't pass the "Helio Filter of self defense". So playing deep half is unacceptable, but playing bottom side control isn't? Lol. In the ultimate of ironies, like a week later Travis Browne dropped Werdum with a punch and Werdum swung to deep half long enough to off balance Browne and defend until he recovered. I'm sure Ryron could teach Werdum how to defend himself. lulzers.

Second one was the great Schawb Gracie performance and the intro of judges to a submission only event.

Third one was Eddie dominating Royler. Metamoris is literally posting videos about how great Royler was in that match due to his ability to survive, while not saying a word about Eddie lol. Also mentioned how a roided up Kevin Casey's jiu jitsu was better than Keenan's a day after Keenan heel hooked Casey.

This last one, I guess they refused to let media in? Seems like a weird thing for an upcoming promotion to do. Also, Ralek was clearly upset that Barnett won. IDK why, because of the catch thing? If he wanted to make sure Barnett lost, then putting him in there against Dean Lister was idiotic. Dean is a beast but tbh he got beaten up by Xande in the first one and hell I thought Babalu took it to him in the last one. Dean doesn't get submitted but IDK what the dude has shown in the last 2-3 years that would make them think he stood a chance against the likes of Barnett.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#15 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:46 pm

I wish metamoris would make an effort to bring in older mma guys. Mir, Maynard, GSP, BJ Penn. Babalu was a good choice.

There are lots of guys I don't want to see get punched in the face anymore.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#16 » by REDDzone » Sat Sep 6, 2014 5:28 am

Chael is purple now. Someone said he plans on competing in bjj (implication: in the gi) now.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#17 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRu_5aHZjk8[/youtube]

Kind of an interesting roll between Rousey/Gil. A sequence where Gil is fighting off the armbar for awhile. A nice little technique when Gil lifted Rousey off the ground with a double leg when Rousey had the guillotine, Gil switched one hand to inside her leg to avoid landing in closed guard and could have slammed. Finally, Rousey with a nice little Marcelo style butterfly sweep. All of those happen pretty close together in the video.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#18 » by AussieBuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am

Got too distracted by the guy in red attempting pushups. :lol:
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Its funny how Melendez and Rousey start at literally 20% and then all the sudden Rousey explodes into 100%.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by CPT » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:17 pm

I know they were just rolling at various levels of intensity, but if that was scored, Rousey would have won, right?

Not making a comment on the result, just kind of checking to see if I know WTF is going on, haha.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts