2014 World cup of basketball - rosters

Moderator: THE J0KER

jolbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 196

2014 World cup of basketball - rosters 

Post#1 » by jolbin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:25 am

What is the 12 man roster of your national team - who is playing and who is absent?
Strengths, weaknesses?

Slovenija:

G.Dragić - Jaka Klobučar
Z.Dragić - Jaka Blažič - Klemen Prepelič
Edo Murić - Domen Lorbek
Jure Balažič - Miha Zupan
Erazem Lorbek - Uroš Slokar - Alen Omić

A very versatile team - all players except Omić can play multiple positions and knock down the 3 pointer. Most players are consistent shooters when shooting an open shot.
Dragič bros, Blažič, Muri and Klobučar are pushing the tempo and playing the transition game well..
The biggest weakness of this team is surely the big man play - rebounding and post defence - the only true center in this team is ALen Omić who is quite terrible, but he brings size to the team..

The biggest absentees are Beno Udrih (not invited), Gasper Vidmar (injury), Mirza Begic (rejected the invitation), Boki Nachbar and Jaka Lakovic (international retirenment) and of course The Machine Vujacic..
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Re: 2014 World cup of basketball - rosters 

Post#2 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm

The 12 man roster hasn't even been announced yet, that's YOUR roster. And that team is mediocre at best.
jolbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 196

Post#3 » by jolbin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:The 12 man roster hasn't even been announced yet, that's YOUR roster. And that team is mediocre at best.

Yea, but barring an injury (E.Lorbek) or a sudden change of mind (G.Dragič) this roster is next to a sure thing. The three players that are on the cusp are Prepelič, Zupan and Omič. Zupan and Omič are needed because of the lack of big men (Zdovc said Zupan will play a lot of minutes on WC) and i think the federation dont want to risk losing Prepelič for the future - he really doesnt want to be the odd man out like he was last year.
It would be nice to give a chance to one of the young guns (Rebec, Nikolič), but i highly highly doubt that happens when you factor everything in. And for Omič - there is no player who could replace him.
I agree, this team has a limited ceiling (id argue QF) but i think it will be a fun team to watch. Big men rotation is what will be costing us a lot of games...
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,225

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 pm

That Slovenian team doesn't look that impressive to me. But to be fair, I am not familiar with few players, maybe they are a sure thing.

Lithuania hasn't announced the final cut yet. Javtokas, Jasikevicius and Kleiza are not playing though. Our strength however should be bigs and depth.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#5 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:38 pm

France announced their 12-man roster:
http://www.magicbasketballonline.com/20 ... up-roster/

They still have Nando as being with the Raptors (and not in Russia) and Fournier with the Nuggets (not with the Magic).
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#6 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Hey guys, could you tell me if this list is correct/complete: NBA players at the WC

A
Spain: Pau Gasol – Marc Gasol – Serge Ibaka – Ricky Rubio - Victor Claver – Jose Calderon
France: Nicolas Batum – Evan Fournier – Boris Diaw – Ian Mahinmi - Rudy Gobert
Brazil: Anderson Varejao - Nene Hilario – Tiago Splitter
Serbia: Nemanja Nedovic – Miroslav Raduljica

B
Argentina: Pablo Prigioni - Andrés Nocioni - Luis Scola
Greece: Giannis Antetokounmpo – Nick Calathes
Croatia: Bojan Bogdanovic - Damjan Rudez
Philippines: Andray Blatche
Puerto Rico: JJ Barea

C
USA: - - -
Finland: Drew Gooden (unclear?)
Turkey: Omer Asik

D
Australia: Matthew Dellavedova – Dante Exum - Cameron Bairstow - Aron Baynes
Lithunia: Jonas Valanciunas - Donatas Motiejunas
Mexico: Jorge Gutierrez
Slovenia: Goran Dragic

None: Iran, Egypt, Senegal, Dominican Republic, New Zealand, Ukraine, Angola, South Korea
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,225

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Pan Jia Yuan wrote:Hey guys, could you tell me if this list is correct/complete: NBA players at the WC

A
Spain: Pau Gasol – Marc Gasol – Serge Ibaka – Ricky Rubio - Victor Claver – Jose Calderon
France: Nicolas Batum – Evan Fournier – Boris Diaw – Ian Mahinmi - Rudy Gobert
Brazil: Anderson Varejao - Nene Hilario – Tiago Splitter
Serbia: Nemanja Nedovic – Miroslav Raduljica

B
Argentina: Pablo Prigioni - Andrés Nocioni - Luis Scola
Greece: Giannis Antetokounmpo – Nick Calathes
Croatia: Bojan Bogdanovic - Damjan Rudez
Philippines: Andray Blatche
Puerto Rico: JJ Barea

C
USA: - - -
Finland: Drew Gooden (unclear?)
Turkey: Omer Asik

D
Australia: Matthew Dellavedova – Dante Exum - Cameron Bairstow - Aron Baynes
Lithunia: Jonas Valanciunas - Donatas Motiejunas
Mexico: Jorge Gutierrez
Slovenia: Goran Dragic

None: Iran, Egypt, Senegal, Dominican Republic, New Zealand, Ukraine, Angola, South Korea

I believe Houston Rocket Francisco Garcia is playing for Dominican Republic this year. Also, Andres Nocioni is no longer an NBA player.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#8 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Yeah, why the hell did I include Nocioni? Can't even tell, just assumed he's still around.
As for Francisco Garcia, yes it's very likely that Houston will re-sign him, but as of now he doesn't have an NBA contract...
Thx!
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#9 » by Chalk1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:00 am

Erik Murphy for Finland is listed as a Cav.

Senegal- Gorgui Dieng- Wolves
Ukraine- Viacheslav Kravtsov- Suns (per FIBA but not sure if he's still with them)

Nedovic is out for Serbia
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#10 » by Chalk1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:02 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:France announced their 12-man roster:
http://www.magicbasketballonline.com/20 ... up-roster/

They still have Nando as being with the Raptors (and not in Russia) and Fournier with the Nuggets (not with the Magic).

De Colo is out.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#11 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Yep, broke his hand. Kahudi is now the 12th guy.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
donkki
Analyst
And1: 539

Post#12 » by donkki » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Drew Gooden won't be playing for Team Finland but Erik Murphy (Cavs) will play.

I posted this on the other thread but here is Team Finland:

- Petteri Koponen (PG) is the star of the Finnish team. He plays professionally for Khimki Moscow. Koponen is a 6'4 pg with great shooting skills and ability to attack the rim. Absolutely should be in the NBA.
- Sasu Salin (SG) is a shooting guard who has range, quickness and is a terrific man-to-man defender. Can attack the rim. A bit undersized. Plays for Ljubljana in Slovenia. Great energy player.
- Shawn Huff (SF) is a athletic small forward who can also shoot it from long range. Plays professionally in Germany. Sometimes tends to disappear a bit.
- Gerald Lee Jr. (PF) might be the best low post player in the Finnish team. He has showed a wide array of different low post moves and has nice touch close to the basket. Plays pro ball in Romania.
- Erik Murphy (C) just joined the team this summer and has been a welcome addition. He also can shoot it from outside and has decent post game. Currently with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Tuukka Kotti (PF) is another big in the Finnish team. He has some limitations to his offensive game but still can surprise many with his athletism.
- Teemu Rannikko (PG) and Mikko Koivisto (SG) are both lethal three point shooters. Teemu Rannikko is an experienced point guard with great passing skills, but he is lacking athletism. Koivisto is an undersized SG that is basically just a three point shooter - but a great one.
- Hanno Möttölä (PF) is the grand old man of the team. Played two seasons for the Hawks a long time ago. At 37 years of age, he doesn't have some much left but still can give you a few good minutes on the court. Can shoot the three.
- Kimmo Muurinen (PF) is your typical hustle player, a skinnier Finnish version of Faried. Can hit the jump shot and goes after every rebound. Energy player.
- Antero Lehto (PG) was voted player of the year in Finnish league last season. Probably won't play much but usually when he is on the court, he tends to deliver. He is a scoring point guard.
- Matti Nuutinen (SF) won't be playing much. Average SF.

Return to International Basketball