ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors looking to place future NBDL team in Rochester?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Re: Raptors looking to place future NBDL team in Rochester? 

Post#41 » by trick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:23 pm

whatamoron wrote:
IceIceBelly wrote:The Rochester Drakes :) ???

Isn't a "Drake" a male duck?
Wouldn't that be an infringement on the Anaheim Ducks copyright.

From the words of God (google):
Drakes are smaller than dragons, but still fly and breath fire but have no magical abilities. Basically, Drakes are evil.

:o
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#42 » by suntzuballin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Nice masai can nao try obtain multiple 2nd picks and stash them close by.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,169

Post#43 » by niQ » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Do it.
whatamoron
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#44 » by whatamoron » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 pm

IceIceBelly wrote:
whatamoron wrote:
IceIceBelly wrote:The Rochester Drakes :) ???

Isn't a "Drake" a male duck?

You're mistaken.

A "Drake" is a black and gold owl.

I stand by my definition, please refer to a dictionary. (i.e. Oxford)
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#45 » by CrookedJ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:37 am

More details on the Rochester meetings:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sto ... /14010607/

"We would have to reach an agreement with Toronto to join the NBA D-League," Hwrynak said. "It would be an affiliation. They would send us the players and pay for the players. We would pay for all the other expenses."

The affiliation wouldn't begin until the 2015-16 season.

Hwrynak said that officials from the Raptors toured the Blue Cross Arena, interviewed team employees, and looked at the team's financial records.

"The meeting went great. It was about four hours. They didn't just stop in for a cup of coffee. It was serious," Hwrynak said. "They took a tour of the arena, interviewed all of our staff. They saw it was our 10-year anniversary. They looked at our financials. When somebody does that, I think they're pretty serious."

Sounds like this is pretty serious. The guy quoted is the owner of the Razorsharks.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,158

Post#46 » by GooniesNeverDie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:06 am

if Bruno & Bebe are going to spend some time down there, id definitely make a plan to go see a game or 2.. love this!!
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,305

Post#47 » by Ganjamayne » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:29 am

Bring the RazorSharks home..
IceIceBelly
Junior
And1: 659

Post#48 » by IceIceBelly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:06 am

whatamoron wrote:
IceIceBelly wrote:
whatamoron wrote:Isn't a "Drake" a male duck?

You're mistaken.

A "Drake" is a black and gold owl.

I stand by my definition, please refer to a dictionary. (i.e. Oxford)

Not sure if serious
nahom1319
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#49 » by nahom1319 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:52 am

Blast Tyrant wrote:
nahom1319 wrote:
Waylon Mercy wrote:They should put the D-League teams in NBA 2K15

They had them in an older version. My first time playing 2k maybe 2k12 i went undrafted and played for the d league then became a starter for the magic on a callup.

How on earth do you go undrafted? I've tried as hard as I can to sabotage myself in the interviews and the pre-draft game and I still go in the 20s.

On 2k12? with an athletic pg? Easy don't read your players profile (i didn't realize my dude's shot was like 50's) and shoot like your steph curry.

Mind you I had just gotten my ps3 back like 2 days before and played my player before exhibition. Oh and I played after my shift so I started atlike 1 -2 am....

Basically crappy skills + exhausted = d-league

oh yeah there was no draft back then too....you we're a walk on trying to make it through training camp and i think summer league. Iff you couldn't crack the roster then you went to the d league.
Dr Mufasa wrote: I wouldn't bet any of my personal money on Valanciunas being in the NBA after his rookie contract.
<--- May 22 2012
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... -THG-1.gif
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#50 » by godkingleonidas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:33 am

Rochester: Every week is Shark Week

Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#51 » by Blast Tyrant » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:39 pm

nahom1319 wrote:
Blast Tyrant wrote:
nahom1319 wrote:They had them in an older version. My first time playing 2k maybe 2k12 i went undrafted and played for the d league then became a starter for the magic on a callup.

How on earth do you go undrafted? I've tried as hard as I can to sabotage myself in the interviews and the pre-draft game and I still go in the 20s.

On 2k12? with an athletic pg? Easy don't read your players profile (i didn't realize my dude's shot was like 50's) and shoot like your steph curry.

Mind you I had just gotten my ps3 back like 2 days before and played my player before exhibition. Oh and I played after my shift so I started atlike 1 -2 am....

Basically crappy skills + exhausted = d-league

oh yeah there was no draft back then too....you we're a walk on trying to make it through training camp and i think summer league. Iff you couldn't crack the roster then you went to the d league.

Ahhh right. I forgot there was no draft back then.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#52 » by JN » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 pm

CrymeTime wrote:
dhackett1565 wrote:Easy fix to the prospects in the D-League concern - expand NBA rosters to include more "inactive" slots. Say, 20 roster slots, with 8 inactive slots. Then a team could carry as many as 5 additional prospects signed to minimum salary deals. Any player who didn't play a game in the NBA would (in my theoretical scenario here) remain on the 0-year-experience salary, so those prospects would add up to only about $3M total. And for the first 3 off-seasons, they would be restricted free agents, allowing their team to match any offers for them.

Another interesting thing would be to:

1) Expand the draft, to say 5 Rounds
2) Allow HS players back into the draft

1) Expanding the draft allows teams to hold onto more player rights. There are a ton of prospects, that go undrafted. This would allow a team to draft them, and hold onto their NBA rights. The team would be able to draft a player in rounds 3-5, that would normally go undrafted, and is allowed to sign with any team.

This also gives prospects more chances of being drafted, even if they don't ever end up in the NBA.

The NBA teams, have 3 more assets, that they can use in trades.
Trading for a 3rd-5th round pick might not sound exciting, but if your team has good scouting, you might find a diamond in the rough.

Why would the player's union accept any of this?

Is in the best interests of the union to have as few rounds in the draft as possible. It allows more players to audition for 30 teams rather than being stuck on 1 team.

Why would a player want to be picked in the 3rd and 4th round and buried in one franchise with little chance to make the league with that team... when instead they could audition for all 30 teams under the current format or pick the team / system that is best for their development.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#53 » by MEDIC » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 pm

^ It would create some certainty for both 2nd round picks & any players that go undated. They get to continue their careers under the development of an NBA club. Many of these kids would rather not go overseas.

The CBA would have to include it in some way, but I don't think adding more rounds would be a negative thing for the NBPA. It would just create more revenue for them. (If NBDL contracts were under the NBA CBA)
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#54 » by CrookedJ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:08 pm

MEDIC wrote:^ It would create some certainty for both 2nd round picks & any players that go undated. They get to continue their careers under the development of an NBA club. Many of these kids would rather not go overseas.

The CBA would have to include it in some way, but I don't think adding more rounds would be a negative thing for the NBPA. It would just create more revenue for them. (If NBDL contracts were under the NBA CBA)

Not to mention that the draft itself by definition is filled with people who are not yet players association members. The union has managed to balance its own indifference to current non-members with the reality that the union will always need new members in the future.

And I think that the union would manage at worst some kind of affiliation with the minor leaguers that would bring in some revenue.

The strong arming move that OKC pulled this draft with Huestis is gonna be something that the union will be wary of. I think current rules would allow OKC to keep him in a holding pattern as long as they want to. If they want to keep him down there, and he disagrees, he basically has to sit out of competitive ball for a year to go back into the draft. At least with a structured minor league system they would have x number of seasons before he has to go on the NBA roster (think MLB 40 man roster / rule 5 draft)

Wow major tangent...oh well. Go razorsharks?
godkingleonidas
Banned User

Post#55 » by godkingleonidas » Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:17 pm

Does this mean it's official? I can't find any news about it. Anyone?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/rocrazorsharks/status/509036536181297152[/tweet]
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,477

Post#56 » by Bankai » Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:22 pm

Looks legit, I don't think they would randomly put the nbdl logo there without fear of getting sued.
godkingleonidas
Banned User

Post#57 » by godkingleonidas » Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:14 pm

Bankai wrote:Looks legit, I don't think they would randomly put the nbdl logo there without fear of getting sued.

Hmm ... The PBL and NBDL websites [http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/] don't say anything though. Perhaps it's a premature leak. :lol:
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#58 » by theycallmeZZ » Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:15 pm

godkingleonidas wrote:Does this mean it's official? I can't find any news about it. Anyone?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/rocrazorsharks/status/509036536181297152[/tweet]

Damn, all they needed to change was the main color to red... the letters of both logos are nearly identical.
godkingleonidas
Banned User

Post#59 » by godkingleonidas » Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:20 pm

theycallmeZZ wrote:Damn, all they needed to change was the main color to red... the letters of both logos are nearly identical.

I think you're right. The shark is blue in the original logo but, appears to be red in the tweet. :D
YoungG
Head Coach
And1: 4,505

Post#60 » by YoungG » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:28 pm

This is so cool if this was a premature leak. Toronto is finally putting themselves in a category to be taken seriously. I'm not sure when was the last time I was this excited about the Raptors/NBA in general. I guess the new era has begun.

Return to Toronto Raptors