DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS & BASKETBALL SKILLS

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Re: DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS 

Post#41 » by W. Unseld » Wed Jul 6, 2011 7:50 pm

I'll add one from my game last night: If you're next to a great rebounder on the other team while waiting for free throws and you've had trouble getting around him, just step on his foot and hold it Lambeer style. It's probably not worth doing unless you're stopping their version of Rodman b/c you are probably aren't going to get the board either, but it's well worth it if you're taking their best rebounder out of the play at a critical time.
arterimal
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: 

Post#42 » by arterimal » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:21 am

Wizards2Lottery wrote:Just put on a LeBron jersey and travel everytime.

hahaha. i was expecting that. hahahahha and its still funny
clockwork
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#43 » by clockwork » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 pm

How has this not been said yet??

The Reggie Evans - tightly clamps on the offensive players testicles whereby suffocating them the offensive player either turns the ball over by being legitimately scared for his life or gets the technical foul because he pushes/smacks the defender back.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by W. Unseld » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 pm

This thread is a classic. Since I'm still playing and getting slower and slower these tactics continue to be helpful. Got a teammate driving while you're down low? You could to the Big Z and simply push the defender into your teammate but it might not get called and could result in injury. Instead get close to the most likely shot blocker and either get a hold of some jersey or an arm, before faux spinning into a box out off the lay up. You're guy gets a clearer shot and once the shot has gone up you just look like you're fighting for position.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#45 » by pancakes3 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:58 pm

W. Unseld wrote:This thread is a classic. Since I'm still playing and getting slower and slower these tactics continue to be helpful. Got a teammate driving while you're down low? You could to the Big Z and simply push the defender into your teammate but it might not get called and could result in injury. Instead get close to the most likely shot blocker and either get a hold of some jersey or an arm, before faux spinning into a box out off the lay up. You're guy gets a clearer shot and once the shot has gone up you just look like you're fighting for position.

I like this one, and variants of it. You can use post-ups as guises for picks too.

I also saw on an episode of bballbreakdown on youtube that if you're a big man with the ball in the high post, you can use the dribble-handoff as a de-facto moving screen that's perfectly legal.

In a video I posted in the not-so-random thread shows a guy in Hawaii that preaches boxing out by angling your body perpendicular to the guy you're trying to box out - leg going into/in between the other guy's leg and boxing out with your shoulder than with your butt.
Bullets -> Wizards
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#46 » by crackhed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:31 pm

avoid deodorants and mouthwash as much as possible. when guarding ur opponent, get your hands up and stick ur pits in his face early and often
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#47 » by keynote » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:44 pm

^ Ugh. When I was in grad school, I used to play with a guy who clearly practiced that art. And he evidently didn't believe in laundering his clothes, either. Every article of gym clothing he wore was a dingy beige or gray. Man, he stunk to high heaven. And every time he moved, he'd release new particles of funk that would somehow get in your mouth, settle at the pit of your stomach and fester.

And he liked to play down low, too. Oof. I'm getting ill just from the memory of it. I *hated* playing against that guy.

But yeah, he probably got a least 1-2 free boards per game just from mustiness alone.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS & BASKETBALL SKILLS 

Post#48 » by W. Unseld » Thu Oct 2, 2014 3:44 pm

Reviving this thread with a twist--now adding basketball skills instead of just dirty tactics. I have come to the conclusion that everything I learned about "fundamental" basketball in the 80's through early 90's was incorrect.

"Never fade away and go hard to the basket": This is good in some situations but it was preached as gospel. The new reality is "get space to create your shot" and it leads to shots such as the step back which is nearly unguardable but would have given any of my coaches, including the legendary coach, fits.

"Left hand, right foot" for layups: Again, it's okay generally but sometimes you can shield the defender a lot better by doing wrong handed lay ups.

Square up and jump straight up on your shot--not so much. It's amazing now when I go back and look at some of the old shooters they shoot off of a two footed hop, with their feet slightly tilted (not square) which points their hip and their shoulder at the bucket. Some guys, like S. Curry can and do shoot it either way depending on the situation, when Curry has time he squares up traditionally some times, when he doesn't he does the hop/tilt I just described. I messed around with this and now my shot is stuck in some horrible in between stage that I have zero confidence in. My personal experience is the two footed hop/tilt shot makes it easier to create space but I'm currently much more accurate with the traditional square up. Check out the hop/tilt, if you click on the pro shooting link under this, you'll be shocked to see guys like Bird doing something closer to the hop/tilt than the traditional square up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ZZ7nuFTkE
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Re: DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS & BASKETBALL SKILLS 

Post#49 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:11 pm

I can't find the combat sorts thread. Israel Adesanya is the most entertaining fighter I've seen in forever. He's fun to watch.

Return to Washington Wizards