ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born)

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,681
And1: 2,300
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1081 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:35 pm

No such thing as a modest time when you are running 50 miles. Wow

I quit running this summer because my knee started acting up. I was getting tired of it anyway. I was only doing 3 miles but it got to the point that i was dreading it. I think part of the problem was comparing myself to what i used to do 15 years ago.

Swimming isn't an option for me with my shoulder problems. Looking online i saw several articles saying the stepmill is very effective. That is the machine that has actual stairs that rotate. I like it. It doesn't bother my knee and i don't feel so beat up afterwards. I can easily monitor my heart rate to get into the range i want.

You have to be a little careful getting started. Pushing too hard right away can lead to foot problems since the ball of your foot hits first as opposed to your heel when you run.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
User avatar
Kanyewest
General Manager
Posts: 7,739
And1: 1,284
Joined: Jul 05, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1082 » by Kanyewest » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 am

Right now, I've built up my runs to around a little over 6 miles once a week, which I do once a week after weight lifts at a moderate slow pace. It's weird because my mile run times get a little faster in the 2 to 5 mile range than from 0-2. My current 10K time is 1 hour and 7 minutes. After a couple of rest days I either do a short run (1 to 2 miles) or do interval training.

While I'm able to run longer, my 1 mile time has declined I believe I'm anywhere from 1 minute to 90 seconds slower per mile from 3 years ago. Then again, it could just because I've put on some weight since then.

I've switched to a 5 meal a day diet - lower carb intakes during the week, some proteins in meals no matter what, and cheat days on Saturday and Sunday. Ideally I want to keep my current weight level and lower my fat intake for now. I still need to get better at planning meals and healthy snacks. I see the most progress when meals are homecooked - I try to eat half portion size when I go out.

Goals are to lose fat and try to keep my current weight more or less.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1083 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm

I just signed up for a 5k. First time in a long time I've run a race that short.
My sister has been struggling with weight for the last 12-14 year since her
son was born but has recently (last year or so) begun running 5ks. When
my nephew heard I was going to run (he runs these races too) he started talking smack
then realized he would have to actually train to have any chance of beating me. He's 14.
His PR for 5k is 27 minutes. Once my legs recover from the 50, I expect I can
run no worse than about 24 minutes.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
badinage
Senior
Posts: 676
And1: 18
Joined: May 09, 2002

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1084 » by badinage » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Anyone do kettlebells?

I've had good results using them as my primary workout. Hourlong session once a week with a trainer, and then a few 20 minute maintenance workouts during the week.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,901
And1: 1,729
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1085 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:35 pm

badinage wrote:Anyone do kettlebells?

I've had good results using them as my primary workout. Hourlong session once a week with a trainer, and then a few 20 minute maintenance workouts during the week.


Tried a kettlebell workout a week or so ago and ended up with bruises on my forearms all week. Blech.
Comparing Rose to Wall is like asking which is a more impressive cat: A cheetah or a wolf? Dude, Wall ain’t no damn cat!
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1086 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:03 pm

tontoz wrote:No such thing as a modest time when you are running 50 miles. Wow



Actually I'd argue that there is such a thing. I think a lot of what makes ultra runners
'special' is simply that they like to do ultras. These are people with a stubborn streak.
But they are not necessarily that athletically gifted. I will still argue that a truly
hard run marathon is probably harder than a 50 done more for participation than
competition. My 12 hour time is just marginally above a brisk walk wrt pace. You just gotta
be stubborn as hell to keep going when you're only halfway, everything is hurting
and you still have ~ 20 miles to go. I call it relentless foward progress (RFP).
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,681
And1: 2,300
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1087 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:46 pm

dobrojim wrote:
tontoz wrote:No such thing as a modest time when you are running 50 miles. Wow



Actually I'd argue that there is such a thing. I think a lot of what makes ultra runners
'special' is simply that they like to do ultras. These are people with a stubborn streak.
But they are not necessarily that athletically gifted. I will still argue that a truly
hard run marathon is probably harder than a 50 done more for participation than
competition. My 12 hour time is just marginally above a brisk walk wrt pace. You just gotta
be stubborn as hell to keep going when you're only halfway, everything is hurting
and you still have ~ 20 miles to go. I call it relentless foward progress (RFP).



I know what you mean. I never had the patience to run long distances. In my early 30s i could run 3 miles around 20 minutes but i never had the urge to run farther. Never was interested in entering races either.

Then my times gradually deteriorated, mainly due to laziness/skipping days over the years. Last summer i tried doing intervals on a track just to change things up and try to get my speed back. That is how i messed up my knee. I'm too old to be doing interval training and not interested enough to run longer/slower.

Glad i found something i can do for endurance other than running.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,901
And1: 1,729
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1088 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 pm

tontoz wrote:
dobrojim wrote:
tontoz wrote:No such thing as a modest time when you are running 50 miles. Wow



Actually I'd argue that there is such a thing. I think a lot of what makes ultra runners
'special' is simply that they like to do ultras. These are people with a stubborn streak.
But they are not necessarily that athletically gifted. I will still argue that a truly
hard run marathon is probably harder than a 50 done more for participation than
competition. My 12 hour time is just marginally above a brisk walk wrt pace. You just gotta
be stubborn as hell to keep going when you're only halfway, everything is hurting
and you still have ~ 20 miles to go. I call it relentless foward progress (RFP).



I know what you mean. I never had the patience to run long distances. In my early 30s i could run 3 miles around 20 minutes but i never had the urge to run farther. Never was interested in entering races either.

Then my times gradually deteriorated, mainly due to laziness/skipping days over the years. Last summer i tried doing intervals on a track just to change things up and try to get my speed back. That is how i messed up my knee. I'm too old to be doing interval training and not interested enough to run longer/slower.

Glad i found something i can do for endurance other than running.


Which is?????????
Comparing Rose to Wall is like asking which is a more impressive cat: A cheetah or a wolf? Dude, Wall ain’t no damn cat!
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,681
And1: 2,300
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1089 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Which is?????????



The Stepmill that i posted about at the top of the page.

http://www.fitforthesoul.com/home/2013/ ... e-stepmill

When i started researching alternatives i saw this machine repeatedly getting mention as being very underrated. You can get your heart rate up and keep it up while not moving faster than a normal walking pace. You just have to avoid pushing too hard when you start because there will be some stress on the legs and feet.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1090 » by dobrojim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:48 pm

If you prefer indoor type things, I kinda like an elliptical. I used one regularly during my rehab.
But I found I really needed to tweak it to simulate a running interval workout and also increase the
resistance a fair bit.

BTW - I don't think you get too old to do interval training. I'm 57 and do intervals.
You may have other issues that would preclude doing them but age shouldn't be one.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,681
And1: 2,300
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1091 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:30 pm

dobrojim wrote:If you prefer indoor type things, I kinda like an elliptical. I used one regularly during my rehab.
But I found I really needed to tweak it to simulate a running interval workout and also increase the
resistance a fair bit.

BTW - I don't think you get too old to do interval training. I'm 57 and do intervals.
You may have other issues that would preclude doing them but age shouldn't be one.



I like to run fast and doing that on a track is what messed up my knee. My idea of intervals is running a lap or two fast and then walking for a bit, repeat. The pounding was too much.

From what i have read the elliptical isn't that effective. you really have to push yourself hard to get your heart rate up and keep it up. Machines that work against gravity are better.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,901
And1: 1,729
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1092 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:18 pm

So it's February. The guy I'm training with at the gym did his job - I didn't gain any weight over the holidays. For the first time in a long time I'm able to close my belt a little tighter so that's awesome.

Dude has me focused mainly on gaining muscle mass and doing it in a way that doesn't put stress on my rotator cuff or lower back, all body workouts with kettlebells. Then as a reward he lets me spend the second half of the workout throwing kicks and punches.

Turns out throwing kicks is a great dynamic stretch for my lower back. I feel better than I have in years.

Oh and I did a trapeze class last Sunday with my daughter. I think my abs just today fully recovered.
Comparing Rose to Wall is like asking which is a more impressive cat: A cheetah or a wolf? Dude, Wall ain’t no damn cat!
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1093 » by dobrojim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Page 10 really?

bump

Did the Reston Bike Club Century ride yesterday. Long day and lots of calories burned.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,329
And1: 8,510
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1094 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 am

Good bump, dobrojim.

I'm currently healthy and in good shape these days. After taking about 2 years off of any serious distance running, I've decided to get back out on the road and put in some miles. I'm up to 15-20 miles a week. I ran 12 miles on Sunday, holding an 8:18 pace.

It's amazing how those long runs really kickstart your metabolism. I was a reasonably trim 172 pounds 3 months ago but now I'm down to 164 with almost no bodyfat and a pretty decent 6-pack showing. Not bad for a 43-year-old.

I'm contemplating a half marathon or maybe a full in October but I'm not sure yet. I know I'm not in as good condition as I was 5 years ago and I feel like it's a waste to run a race when I have no possibility for a best time.

I had to drop swimming and cut back on lifting to find the time to run. I figure I'll stick with running while the weather is nice and then go back to swimming when it turns cold.

I still play basketball once a week. My offensive game is still there but I'm finding it harder and harder to stay in front of younger guys. It's weird. I'm still pretty quick and have good endurance, I just don't have the reaction time I used to. It sucks.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1095 » by dobrojim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 pm

I am signed up for the Steamtown marathon in early Oct. I'm woefully under-trained although
in fair condition otherwise. I've had a recurring issue with my foot that I'm not sure what to make of.

Riding 100 miles is a helluva lot easier than running/walking 100 miles. I felt pretty normal yesterday
and today in the aftermath of the century ride. This is in huge contrast to how I would be feeling
after running that far.

For the record, the century ride included nearly 5400 ft of ascent and 5400 ft of descent. Not even
close to a flat course.

ps - I'll be doing my once a year triathlon in a couple weeks (olympic distance).
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
Kanyewest
General Manager
Posts: 7,739
And1: 1,284
Joined: Jul 05, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1096 » by Kanyewest » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:38 pm

After doing an 8 week training program (which took me 10 weeks to finish), I improved my 10K time from about 1 hour 6 minutes to 1 hour. My goal lately has been to try to beat my friend's 10K time which used to be 52 minutes but is now 48 minutes.

I've also shed about 20 pounds since last year. I still lift about the same weight as I used plus I recently got a pull-up bar. While I could probably put on some more muscle, I could still stand to use some belly fat so I'll try to bulk up when I feel that I have a stronger core.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1097 » by dobrojim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Good job Kanye. I have maintained for some time that the 10K distance is one
of the most challenging and difficult to do well. Short enough to require speed
yet long enough to make that speed really painful.

I got to the Y last night and managed to swim for a while. I was planning to do some
elliptical but when I got there I realized I was wearing sandals and didn't have any shoes.
Had what I needed to swim so I did that. Swimming is probably more important for me
right now since I have a triathlon coming up.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
fishercob
RealGM
Posts: 13,919
And1: 1,567
Joined: Apr 25, 2002
Location: Tenleytown, DC

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1098 » by fishercob » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 pm

I've been getting back into yoga. Doing a few different kinds at local studios. Loving it.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,372
And1: 1,231
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1099 » by dobrojim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:43 pm

yoga, painful.

:)
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
gambitx777
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,118
And1: 413
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1100 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 am

Blairs main work out is how many reps he can do to and from the buffet line.

Return to Washington Wizards