Justise Winslow

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Justise Winslow 

Post#1 » by crazy_me_87 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 pm

What do you guys think of Justise Winslow?

according to draftexpress he is a terriffic athlete and an extremly Hard Worker/Competitor
very versitaile and already a good allrounder
DE has him currently at 4 so Top 5 Pick
do you agree with this?

He is no all world scorer but his jumper seems better than advertised( 39% on over 3 attemps) he seems to have few holes in his game.

Could he be a Paul George type of Player? a great all arounder and defender from day one and steadily improving scorer?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Justise Winslow 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Best case scenario is more athletic Kawhi Leonard

But I dont know, Justise is way better than Kawhi was at this stage, but he is that type of guy.
JFarfan18
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#3 » by JFarfan18 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 pm

I think he can be Iguodala-esque but with a better jumpshot.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#4 » by 23-7 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:20 pm

he looks like his handle need work
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:14 pm

JFarfan18 wrote:I think he can be Iguodala-esque but with a better jumpshot.

Yeah, I could see that as the best case. He's not Leonard. Leonard's not an alpha-male and he was a late-bloomer, but he's a freak that can do things physically that nobody with the possible exceptions of Lebron and Durant can do - and his skills are catching up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#6 » by reanimator » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

I doubt he will be as inconsistent, erratic and prone to bad shots like Iggy either.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:10 pm

he picks his spots better than a young iggy. iggy's game has always been multi-faceted but he was a bit of a spazz. justise plays with a cool, unflappable demeanor. rarely do you see him get outside of himself and you cant speed him up. very similar demeanor as players like kawhi or jimmy butler.
im not seeing the kawhi comparison from a physical and skill standpoint. winslow already has a better handle, more pnr potential and he's not nearly as long as kawhi is. one of the things that makes kawhi special is that he's a SF with the length of a PF and he exploits all the perks that come with having extreme length at the wing: extension at the cup, disruptive on ball defense, high release, etc.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#8 » by noobcake » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Justice jumped over a 6'2" player's head a few days ago in the process of blocking a shot.

Athletic as ****.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#9 » by Zombiesonics » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 am

Iggy was basically a point guard until (throughtout hs and at zona) he got to the sixers. winslow doesn't bring that skill set at all. I cant say he is anything like KL, mainly because kawhi's hands are uniquely massive as is his frame. Don't think winslow will ever be that kind of rebounder.

His all around game reminds me a bit of paul george, just smaller and less skilled and lefty i guess. Honestly there are aton of prospects that are cut from the same cloth really; stanley johnson and jaylen brown come to mind.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#10 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:54 am

Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, I could see that as the best case. He's not Leonard. Leonard's not an alpha-male and he was a late-bloomer, but he's a freak that can do things physically that nobody with the possible exceptions of Lebron and Durant can do - and his skills are catching up.

Leonard is longer than Justise, but thats about it, Winslow is the better athlete and stronger palyer, and he is much more mature at the same stage of his career, note ven close.

Iggy was more of a dynamo aggressive fella, Jus lets the game flow and come to him, in that he is more like Kawhi.

I think his ceiling is higher than being Iggy honestly.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#11 » by B-Ball Freak » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:10 am

Havent really seen Justise play...he's more athletic than Leonard?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#12 » by ManualRam » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:28 am

kawhi's strong and has rangy strides, but he's really not that great of an athlete.
yes, winslow's a better athlete.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#13 » by ezmac2 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Is Winslow really only only 6'6-ish?
But he has really impressed me this year. Jumper is better then I originally thought as well.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#14 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:07 pm

What's crazy is hire San Antonio knew that Leonard would be what he is based on what they saw in college. Those shots are great at what that do. It's tough job.

Cory Brewer
Ronnie Brewer
Kauai Leonard
Michael Kidd Gilchrist

All guys that in college weren't top options but we're those "good at every stat and all over the floor guys", in fact Leonard was probably the weakest even out of those types of players in college, yet gets to the nbs and I'd the best.

Im just thinking aloud but now this draft has guys like Winslow or Stanley Johnson. You know one will be the next Artest while the other becomes the next MKG. I guys is a crapshoot really.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:22 pm

ezmac2 wrote:Is Winslow really only only 6'6-ish?
But he has really impressed me this year. Jumper is better then I originally thought as well.

He is 6'7 in shoes.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#16 » by noobcake » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 pm

ManualRam wrote:kawhi's strong and has rangy strides, but he's really not that great of an athlete.
yes, winslow's a better athlete.

Leonard's leaping ability might even be below average among NBA guards and wings.

Leonard: 25 no step, 32 max vert. The dude just happens to have a 7'3" wingspan and amazingly large hands. Spurs development obviously also helped him. His wingspan is 5 inches longer at about the same height.

Winslow is a Wiggins, Iggy type athlete type athlete. He has a 6'10" winspan with probably a 39+ inch vertical
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Leonard is longer than Justise, but thats about it, Winslow is the better athlete and stronger palyer, and he is much more mature at the same stage of his career, note ven close.

Iggy was more of a dynamo aggressive fella, Jus lets the game flow and come to him, in that he is more like Kawhi.

I think his ceiling is higher than being Iggy honestly.

Which is why I said Leonard is a late-bloomer. You can't evaluate individual players like they're machines off an assembly line. If you do, you f up in evaluating Leonard - still - after he's been in the NBA proving himself as one of the top players in the game. You can't just keep blinders on how well this guy has developed just because he wasn't that good in college. He has developed into a legitimately great player - who IS an elite athlete. When you've been in the NBA for several years, what you did or what you were in college becomes irrelevant in evaluating the player you are now. It's amazing how people still don't get how good Leonard is.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#18 » by SlowPaced » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:22 pm

I rated him quite low in my latest mock but he has grown on me drastically since. I think he goes Top 5 if he keeps his play up.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#19 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:48 pm

OT: Has Kawhi's 2014 Finals performance created this overvaluing of glue wings or is it more about the way the League is trending?

Gordon Hayward
Jimmie Butler
Kawhi Leonard
MKG
Chandler Parsons

Are these guys really worthy of the hype they're getting or is it that the value of spacing in todays game makes them worth their current hype?

Looking at the draft it's become obvious Stanley Johnson and Justice Winslow are going to benefit the most from this trend of wings who kind of do it all and play within the flow of the offense.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:You can't evaluate individual players like they're machines off an assembly line. If you do, you f up in evaluating Leonard You can't just keep blinders on how well this guy has developed just because he wasn't that good in college.

Pretty true, but I am not doing that.

after he's been in the NBA proving himself as one of the top players in the game.

He has developed into a legitimately great player - who IS an elite athlete.

none of this it true though, unless by top players in the game, or great player, you are talking about top50 players in the game.

Return to NBA Draft