Jakob Poeltl

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Jakob Poeltl 

Post#1 » by reignfire » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:10 am

He has insane per minute production. Even better than Joel Embiid is some areas. He's only 19, too. Not some senior playing amongst boys.

His per 40: 18.3 pts, 15 rbs, 4.7 blk, 72% shooting

His freshman per40 is comparable to guys like Embiid, Oden, Hakeem, etc.

And it's not like he's averaging 10 mpg. He's playing 25 mpg. Embiid averaged 23 mpg.

I've seen some of his footage and he's not a stiff. He's not strong yet but he moves pretty well for a 19 year old 7 footer.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Jakob Poeltl 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:18 am

viewtopic.php?p=41839940#p41839940
covered a little bit here.
he looks like a very good activity, PnR big with great hands and defensive instincts.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#3 » by Winglish » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:22 am

Jakob's game is to play smart and play hard. He has a superb mentor in Larry Krystkowiak. It's nice to have a coach who had a long NBA career at your position. Krystko got by on excellent footwork and smarts, and it seems that Jakob is soaking up everything he can learn from Coach K.

I don't see Poeltl as a future superstar. I see him as a smart, tough, big man with a good motor who does enough things right to be one of those guys who hangs around for years in the NBA.

I think he's a no-brainer for a team looking for a backup defensive-type big.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:10 am

if he gets stronger i can see him easily being a starter. he looks like a no maintenance guy who's not a liability on either end. splitter type maybe.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reignfire
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by reignfire » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:10 am

Winglish wrote:Jakob's game is to play smart and play hard. He has a superb mentor in Larry Krystkowiak. It's nice to have a coach who had a long NBA career at your position. Krystko got by on excellent footwork and smarts, and it seems that Jakob is soaking up everything he can learn from Coach K.

I don't see Poeltl as a future superstar. I see him as a smart, tough, big man with a good motor who does enough things right to be one of those guys who hangs around for years in the NBA.

I think he's a no-brainer for a team looking for a backup defensive-type big.

He's easily NBA starter material.

His production is too off the charts to not be. Sam Hinkie would jizz in his pants.

Unless someone can come up with a reason why these stats don't mean what they mean...

He plays in the PAC-12, still a solid conference. If he was doing these things at 22 I wouldn't bother. But he's doing it as a freshman 19 year old.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#6 » by ManualRam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:50 am

forget his stats. look at his attributes. if he tails off production wise during conference play, that wouldnt make him any less intriguing of a prospect.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Need to see him during conference play, but he looks similar to Len, and he was a top5 pick, albeit in terrible draft, but still, the guy is 1st round material hands down.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Fischella wrote:Need to see him during conference play, but he looks similar to Len, and he was a top5 pick, albeit in terrible draft, but still, the guy is 1st round material hands down.

His college stats are much better than Len's. Len was actually very average at Maryland - partly because they had no point guard and partly because he was absolutely terrible at catching the ball anywhere near the post. He also had an ankle injury that slowed him down a lot of his last college season. The best thing he did at Maryland was off the court - gaining a lot of weight - mostly muscle.

Gortat perhaps?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM

Post#9 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Gortat is much stronger than this kid and not as long, I dont see it.
reignfire
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by reignfire » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Fischella wrote:Need to see him during conference play, but he looks similar to Len, and he was a top5 pick, albeit in terrible draft, but still, the guy is 1st round material hands down.

Yeah he needs to maintain it. That's the biggest issue.

If he does he has to be a elite big man prospect, at least on the defensive end.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#11 » by Winglish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:24 pm

reignfire, Brandan Wright currently leads the NBA in fg% at 74.6%. DeAndre Jordan is shooting 74.3%. Tyson Chandler shoots 68.9%. These guys make great percentages because they take only smart, easy baskets and leave the scoring to other players. This is Jakob Poeltl's game.

I'm not saying he'll never be an NBA starter. He might. Jakob needs to beef up first, though. Right now he doesn't have the strength to play starter's minutes in the NBA. The upside is that strength is something that is easy to improve if a player is willing to put in the time and effort.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#12 » by Talent Chaser » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:35 pm

His game reminds me of Omer Asik.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#13 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Right now I'd say he is probably the 4th best Center prospect in this class, ahead of WCS, Dakari or Kaminsky (due to potential).

And I personally will rate Frank as a PF going forward probably.
reignfire
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by reignfire » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Winglish wrote:reignfire, Brandan Wright currently leads the NBA in fg% at 74.6%. DeAndre Jordan is shooting 74.3%. Tyson Chandler shoots 68.9%. These guys make great percentages because they take only smart, easy baskets and leave the scoring to other players. This is Jakob Poeltl's game.

I'm not saying he'll never be an NBA starter. He might. Jakob needs to beef up first, though. Right now he doesn't have the strength to play starter's minutes in the NBA. The upside is that strength is something that is easy to improve if a player is willing to put in the time and effort.

I'm more concerned about his rebounding and block rate, not his shooting percentage.

BTW, how much points do those guys you listed average per36? Probably not very high. This guy is scoring at a decent volume.

But the fact that he's very good at the PnR and has a soft touch means he has potential on the offensive end.
reignfire
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by reignfire » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:23 pm

He went 8 pts, 11rbs, 3 blks, 1 stl against Kansas. He also played 34 minutes because he didn't foul a lot.

He's looking like the real deal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Fischella wrote:Gortat is much stronger than this kid and not as long, I dont see it.

You're confusing me. You compared Poeltl to Len, and Len is bigger and stronger than Gortat - even ignoring the fact that Len will probably continue to get stronger.

Anyway, the issue is how Poeltl projects in the future - not how strong he is now.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Brovva Blaqq
Banned User
And1: 67

Post#17 » by Brovva Blaqq » Sun Apr 5, 2015 1:07 pm

I am pretty surprised he gets no coverage over herre in Austria. I hope he can become our own Nowitzki - Basketball needs to get more popular.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#18 » by princeofpalace » Sun Apr 5, 2015 1:56 pm

I expect him to rise leading up to the draft after the combine
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 6:05 am

From my perspective, a bit overrated. I watched him twice against Kaleb Tarczewski and they played pretty evenly once, and Tarc outplayed him big time the second time around. He may have done well against Okafor, but Okafor still shot 50% and passed out...Okafor will allow other guys to do stuff and be just as effective if need be. He is probably like a Meyers Leonard type of guy.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#20 » by Notanoob » Tue Apr 7, 2015 6:34 am

He doesn't really blow me away much. On offense he's great on the glass and at finishing, but can't shoot at all and has a god-awful A/TO. He doesn't do a lot of scoring anyways, he's close to WCS in terms of points scored. Defensively he's a decent shot-blocker but nothing special, pretty low steal rate though. Mediocre defensive rebounder. Basically looks like a borderline starting center, a solid pick but nothing amazing.

Return to NBA Draft