Tyus Jones

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

Tyus Jones 

Post#1 » by lakeshow22 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 9:40 pm

Is Tyus Jones really the best point guard since Kyrie Irving? Is his potential anywhere near that high? What's his potential and upside? Comparison? Will he be a 1 and done? Is Jones really a better prospect than guys like Trey Burke, Damian Lillard, MCW, Kemba Walker when they were coming out? Will his 1 season at Duke make him a better prospect than those guys?
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: Tyus Jones 

Post#2 » by EMG518 » Sun Feb 2, 2014 12:59 am

Is he ranked higher than Emmanuel Mudiay? I didnt think he was. Granted I have seen very little of each but I would take Mudiay over him from what I saw.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Sun Feb 2, 2014 8:36 am

he's the most polished pg prospect i've seen at the HS level since kyrie. he's more of a distributor than kyrie was though. he's still got all the skills and makes the game look like he sees it in slow motion. kid is a basketball genius. physically he's not on the level of some of the other PGs mentioned in the OP,so that might lower his potential, but in terms of skills, maturity, running a team, running PnR, he's more advanced at this age than all of them. i think he has a chance to be better than all of those PGs mentioned except kyrie.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#4 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Feb 3, 2014 1:36 pm

He is the most overrated prospect in a while. The dudes strength are his "intangibles". He's a poor shooter and has limited athleticism.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Mon Feb 3, 2014 2:21 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:He is the most overrated prospect in a while. The dudes strength are his "intangibles". He's a poor shooter and has limited athleticism.

no, his strengths are his actual skills and his mind for the game. he can handle, pass, he anticipates extremely well on both ends and he can score from all levels of the floor.

he was among the leading scorers in the eybl circuit this past season (leader in total points) AND he was the top assist guy too all while being extremely efficient in an environment where inefficiency is much more prevalent, even among the elite guards and wings of that level. had a shooting line of 55/87/41. again the leader in assists, 3 steals a game with a 2.7 to A/TO ratio.

the kid already plays well beyond his years. this ain't marcus smart we're talking about. he has legit PG skills. he can run an offense. he's already well-versed in the PnR game, showing more patience in the halfcourt than some established NBA vets. he can shoot and score too from all levels of the floor. calling him a poor shooter is an outright lie. he can hit the 3, has a pull up game, a floater game with both hands and he has tremendous body control with a number of different releases around the rim with both hands. he really knows how to use english off the glass a la kyrie too. he doesn't need to go 100 miles an hour to be effective but he does have sneaky burst. his physical limitations have more so to do with his size than his athleticism. he's only about a buck 70 with average length. the former he can improve on, the latter he can't.

you pretty much don't know what you're talking about when it comes to tyus.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#6 » by reanimator » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:03 pm

Coach K will turn him into Chris Duhon.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#7 » by EMG518 » Tue Feb 4, 2014 8:14 am

Just judging from some highlights I watched I actually really like him. His comp is Kyrie Irving for me. Kyrie is a bit more physically gifted but I dont think it will make too much of a difference. The kid is going to be a very good NBA point guard.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#8 » by Marcus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:51 pm

watched some clips of kiddo and the full game against Whitney Young on utube. He looks like the real deal. I've always been impressed with PGs that control the floor and he has that in him. The size and athleticism thing i think won't be as huge of a deal as folks make it out to be. He knows how to play and his shooting stroke looks pretty legit. I'm curious to see how he does at Duke this coming year playing with Okafor.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,847

Post#9 » by Zeitgeister » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:44 am

I wish he was playing for Minnesota. :( I can understand wanting to play for Coach K though. lol
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Talent Chaser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:51 pm

He looked impressive in the 2nd half vs MSU, really took over the game. His shot already looks improved and hes better at finishing at the rim than I thought. Could wind up being a lottery pick this year. He looks a lot like what everyone thought Tyler Ennis could be.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Marcus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:He looked impressive in the 2nd half vs MSU, really took over the game. His shot already looks improved and hes better at finishing at the rim than I thought. Could wind up being a lottery pick this year. He looks a lot like what everyone thought Tyler Ennis could be.

that was the best thing about that. when he took over in the 2nd half you got the feeling that he could have done this whenever he wanted to. but he did it during the time they needed it and when Jah was off the court if the ball movement got stagnant or they needed a bucket late in the clock. I can't see how his IQ and pace alone isn't impressive to people.

He's not the biggest or most athletic but he KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE GAME and just sees things differently. Its a long limb and i like the Mike Conley comparison that ManRam has given him in other threads but I see some CP3 in Tyus as well. he just plays at a different pace, commands the floor, never rushed, ridiculously smart on the court, and has more edge and emotion now than i remember seeing from him in high school.

You put Tyus' IQ and game in ANY of the physical specimens in last years or this coming year's draft class and its a sure fire number one.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#12 » by noobcake » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:He looked impressive in the 2nd half vs MSU, really took over the game. His shot already looks improved and hes better at finishing at the rim than I thought. Could wind up being a lottery pick this year. He looks a lot like what everyone thought Tyler Ennis could be.

This is the right comparison.

He is a rich man's Tyler Ennis.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Talent Chaser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Marcus wrote:

that was the best thing about that. when he took over in the 2nd half you got the feeling that he could have done this whenever he wanted to. but he did it during the time they needed it and when Jah was off the court if the ball movement got stagnant or they needed a bucket late in the clock. I can't see how his IQ and pace alone isn't impressive to people.

He's not the biggest or most athletic but he KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE GAME and just sees things differently. Its a long limb and i like the Mike Conley comparison that ManRam has given him in other threads but I see some CP3 in Tyus as well. he just plays at a different pace, commands the floor, never rushed, ridiculously smart on the court, and has more edge and emotion now than i remember seeing from him in high school.

You put Tyus' IQ and game in ANY of the physical specimens in last years or this coming year's draft class and its a sure fire number one.

CP3 comparison is probably a little overboard, but I can see what you're getting at. He certainly looks like he is capable of being a good starter in the NBA. His bball IQ is off the charts, always makes the right play. I just don't see Tyus being an explosive scorer, but he doesn't need to be. My guess is he is the first PG off of the board in the upcoming draft.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Marcus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:CP3 comparison is probably a little overboard, but I can see what you're getting at. He certainly looks like he is capable of being a good starter in the NBA. His bball IQ is off the charts, always makes the right play. I just don't see Tyus being an explosive scorer, but he doesn't need to be. My guess is he is the first PG off of the board in the upcoming draft.

not CP3 as an overall talent because thats calling this kid the best pure PG in the league 2 games into his college career. I just meant in terms of how smart he plays and controls the game, does a good job of picking his spots, getting to where he wants on the floor, and giving his team whatever it is that they need in that moment. That's more of what I meant. more of a mental comparison than a physical.
Watch More Basketball

WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#15 » by WolvesGuy14 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 8:56 pm

Seriously, why is Tyus Jones so underrated? I know he isn't the most athletic or strongest player, but his court vision and BBIQ are crazy. He has scored very efficiently so far.

He just looks like he has it. I don't get it. NBADraft.net has him at 24th in 2016. That is terrible.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#16 » by reanimator » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:00 pm

WolvesGuy14 wrote:Seriously, why is Tyus Jones so underrated? I know he isn't the most athletic or strongest player, but his court vision and BBIQ are crazy. He has scored very efficiently so far.

He just looks like he has it. I don't get it. NBADraft.net has him at 24th in 2016. That is terrible.

Lack of physical tools and explosiveness scares people away in a game where big explosive lead guards are all the rage.
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#17 » by WolvesGuy14 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:06 pm

reanimator wrote:
WolvesGuy14 wrote:Seriously, why is Tyus Jones so underrated? I know he isn't the most athletic or strongest player, but his court vision and BBIQ are crazy. He has scored very efficiently so far.

Lack of physical tools and explosiveness scares people away in a game where big explosive lead guards are all the rage.

Just seems like a really dumb reason. There have been countless of examples of people making it in the NBA without the most gifted physical tools.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:09 pm

See Stockton, John.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jon33km
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#19 » by jon33km » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:20 pm

From Burnsville, MN! the suburb is right next to mine
reanimator
Analyst

Post#20 » by reanimator » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:25 pm

WolvesGuy14 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Just seems like a really dumb reason. There have been countless of examples of people making it in the NBA without the most gifted physical tools.

I don't disagree

Return to NBA Draft