ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Don Newman Being Named Interim Head Coach

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Countdown to Don Newman Being Named Interim Head Coach 

Post#1 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Mike Budenholzer has turned the Atlanta Hawks into a force in the span of two seasons. Mike Budeholzer is a disciple of Gregg Popovich and so is Don Newman. For better or worse I'm ready to see Newman handed the reins to find out what he's about. Not this season of course, but in the near future.

The team will do enough to make the playoffs but Randy Wittman still isn't the answer at head coach.

(After 37 games) Record vs. Opp. with win percentage of 60% or better:

Atlanta Hawks ---- 9-3

Washington Wizards ---- 3-7

I'll take and appreciate each win that the guys gut out but I've had enough of Wittman's "system".

It can take the Wizards but so far.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Countdown to Don Newman Being Named Interim Head Coach 

Post#2 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 am

Don Newman isn't Mike Budenholzer, though. He might make a good head coach, but having worked for Gregg Popovich isn't necessarily proof.

I would not have hired Randy Wittman in the first place -- not even as interim. He wouldn't have been my choice when they removed the interim tag. I think he's in the lower echelon of NBA coaches. But, I think it would be tough to fire him partway through the best season in the past 30+ years for this franchise. It's not going to happen this season -- not unless they go on a 10-game losing streak. Even then, probably not.

Only real chance of Wittman getting fired in the near future would be if they underwhelm next season.

That said, my hope is that Wittman retires as Washington's coach when he's 70 years old, the team has just won it's 15th title with him at the helm, and he's being hailed as the greatest coach ever in any sport.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#3 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 am

Nivek wrote:Don Newman isn't Mike Budenholzer, though. He might make a good head coach, but having worked for Gregg Popovich isn't necessarily proof.

I would not have hired Randy Wittman in the first place -- not even as interim. He wouldn't have been my choice when they removed the interim tag. I think he's in the lower echelon of NBA coaches. But, I think it would be tough to fire him partway through the best season in the past 30+ years for this franchise. It's not going to happen this season -- not unless they go on a 10-game losing streak. Even then, probably not.

Only real chance of Wittman getting fired in the near future would be if they underwhelm next season.

That said, my hope is that Wittman retires as Washington's coach when he's 70 years old, the team has just won it's 15th title with him at the helm, and he's being hailed as the greatest coach ever in any sport.

I'm not suggesting the Wizards make a move this season, but if the team gets bounced again in the playoffs and they look mediocre around this time next season...maybe then.

You're right, working for Popovich isn't proof that a guy automatically makes a successful head coach but I want to see what difference a guy who's played under Popovich could make. I remember when Wittman was ejected during a home game some time ago and Newman took over for the remainder of the game, it was noted by guys in this forum how he immediately made adjustments to the lineup that sparked somewhat of a run to reduce a large deficit to a degree. Things like that have me wondering what type of impact he could have on the Wizards. I mean Wittman's made his impact after being named interim head coach, don't get me wrong, but I think he's hit his coaching ceiling.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#4 » by queridiculo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:50 am

If Grunfeld managed to parlay his terrible tenure as Wizards GM into a contract extension, there's absolutely zero chance that Wittman will get fired following post-season disappointed.

Leonsis was fine with seeing the prime of Ovechkins career wasted before he finally pulled the plug on the incumbents, don't expect a radical change in the teams FO and coaching makeup anytime soon.

Washington had its chance in the offseason, but chose to let the sugar high of postseason success in the historically bad Eastern Conference cloud its judgement.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#5 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:50 am

Lol...as one of Randy's biggest critics, no.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#6 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 am

JWizmentality wrote:Lol...as one of Randy's biggest critics, no.

Tick tock...

Nice follow up to beating the Spurs. Least the Wiz won't have to wait long for redemption against the Nets...not like the team had any incentive to beat them back-to-back. Not like they ought to be trying to keep pace with the Hawks and stay ahead of the Raptors in the standings or anything.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#7 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:06 am

queridiculo wrote:If Grunfeld managed to parlay his terrible tenure as Wizards GM into a contract extension, there's absolutely zero chance that Wittman will get fired following post-season disappointed.

Leonsis was fine with seeing the prime of Ovechkins career wasted before he finally pulled the plug on the incumbents, don't expect a radical change in the teams FO and coaching makeup anytime soon.

Washington had its chance in the offseason, but chose to let the sugar high of postseason success in the historically bad Eastern Conference cloud its judgement.

If Mark Jackson can get canned on a winning season, hopefully Wittman can as well. I don't hate him, but the team either needs to seriously upgrade the players or up grade the staff. You can't have both be just "ok" and expect to go far in the off season.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#8 » by verbal8 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:39 am

gambitx777 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:If Grunfeld managed to parlay his terrible tenure as Wizards GM into a contract extension, there's absolutely zero chance that Wittman will get fired following post-season disappointed.

If Mark Jackson can get canned on a winning season, hopefully Wittman can as well. I don't hate him, but the team either needs to seriously upgrade the players or up grade the staff. You can't have both be just "ok" and expect to go far in the off season.

Mark Jackson's personality got him fired, not his on-court results. There isn't any indication that Wittman has any serious personality conflicts with ownership or players. HIs history with the team would seem to indicate the opposite - that he is well regarded by ownership/management.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#9 » by queridiculo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:29 pm

Washington is on pace for their best season record in 36 years, so unless Wittman smuggles a gun into the locker room, solicits a prostitute and **** in Leonsis shoes, he will be back next year.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Speaking of Newman, has anyone wondered what happened to his eye?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#11 » by Higga » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:56 pm

Wittman won't get fired until we actually underachieve in the playoffs repeatedly. In other words, we'll have to be a legit championship contender(don't think we're there yet)and for 2-3 years in a row fall short. Then you have legit justification for firing Witt and going after a bigger name coach that can put you over the hump.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 pm

This thread feels like bad karma.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:00 pm

This thread feels like bad karma.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#14 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

queridiculo wrote:Washington is on pace for their best season record in 36 years, so unless Wittman smuggles a gun into the locker room, solicits a prostitute and **** in Leonsis shoes, he will be back next year.

HOF IMO.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#15 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Nivek wrote:This thread feels like bad karma.

What do you think this thread will cause Wittman to develop a career-ending heart ailment?

What about the numerous past "bad karma" posts about John Wall and how his "knee would explode"? Or about how he would never amount to much and should be traded?

Those are what I call bad karma posts/threads.

The Wizards will continue to win games with or without this thread because the team has enough talent and veteran leadership to do so, I just don't see Wittman as having a system in place that allows the Wizards to beat certain teams or at least compete with them consistently . The Wizards have already lost a few games to bad teams just as in seasons past and still lose more than they win against really good teams due to the same stuff Wittman would harp on repeatedly two seasons ago when he was first trying to get the Wizards to take off.

I'm hopeful that Leonsis would pull the plug on Wittman if he saw the same pattern playing out going into next season; my guess is Newman would be next in line if Leonsis decided to stay in-house.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#16 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 11:20 am

Rafael122 wrote:Speaking of Newman, has anyone wondered what happened to his eye?

I wonder about that every time I watch you guys play.

The internet seemingly has no answers for this.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#17 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 5, 2015 1:04 pm

fishercob wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Washington is on pace for their best season record in 36 years, so unless Wittman smuggles a gun into the locker room, solicits a prostitute and **** in Leonsis shoes, he will be back next year.

HOF IMO.

Agreed. Done. On three tries.
Here
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#18 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:47 am

Could Newman implement what Budenholzer is doing????
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#19 » by Wizardspride » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:53 am

Forget that.

Get me Mike D'Antoni.

I can't stand this anemic offense. :nonono:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#20 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Feb 6, 2015 5:32 am

Wizardspride wrote:Forget that.

Get me Mike D'Antoni.

I can't stand this anemic offense. :nonono:

HELLLLLLLL NO!!! I dont wanna see the Wiz score 120ppg while giving up 130ppg

MDA's defense is atrocious and he barely practices defense in practice which was on record face. Thats okay give me Gentry same fast paced offense with a slight emphasis on D as well or maybe Mike Malone. He was pretty competent in SAC and didnt deserve to get fired. Anyone but Skiles, MDA or Mark Jackson

Return to Washington Wizards