Okafor or Towns? Which center is the better pick?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 11:52 am

Okafor has been getting a lot of hype for his offensive skill and rebounding, but his arms are shorter, he isn't too athletic and he has issues on defense. Karl Anthony-Towns, on the other hand, is a defensive force inside the paint with his long arms. Offensively he compares to DeMarcus Cousins. While Okafor is tearing it up for Duke, I think Towns is the better overall prospect as he fits the need of more teams, but he clearly will need some growing and adjusting.

What are your thoughts? Who is the better prospect and who will get drafted first?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Re: Okafor or Towns? Which center is the better pick? 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 1:25 pm

i don't think anybody should worry about Okafor's "short" arms. 7'5" wingspan!!!!

I think Okafor is the safest pick. He is already an elite offensive C and will be able to step into the league and be your starting Center and contribute. Even if his Defense never materializes he be an Allstar.
Towns to me does have a higher ceiling, is a better athlete, shows more two way potential and could definitely be a better NBA player than Okafor, but I also think there is a higher likely hood that he does not become a star center in the league.

simply put Towns has a higher ceiling but lower floor.
I would have no problem if a team picked Towns over Okafor...but given the opportunity I would hope my team picked Okafor.
Sign here
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#3 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 1:58 pm

Okafor is the better center. Towns is the better defender. I would choose Okafor.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Thu Feb 5, 2015 2:30 pm

Okafor is longer than Towns, he has a longer wingspan and a higher reach.
Towns is not even in the conversation, Mudiay and Russell are ahead of him, so if you are talking about prospects, those two, or even Stanley Johnson and Porzingis, might be in the convo, before Towns.
I have Towns 5-6th in my Board right now.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#5 » by E-Balla » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:17 pm

Fischella wrote:Okafor is longer than Towns, he has a longer wingspan and a higher reach.
Towns is not even in the conversation, Mudiay and Russell are ahead of him, so if you are talking about prospects, those two, or even Stanley Johnson and Porzingis, might be in the convo, before Towns.
I have Towns 5-6th in my Board right now.

Towns has still been super impressive outside of his foul troubles (*cough* Demarcus Cousins *cough*). He's clearly produced more than Stanley per minute and I wouldn't say his stock should have fallen this year. To me he's the same guy I expected him to be coming out of high school when I had him ranked first. Fortunately Russell and Jahlil have blown expectations out the water and took the top 2 spots to me. I'd still pick Towns 3rd even though I love Mudiay and Stan the Man.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#6 » by LloydFree » Thu Feb 5, 2015 7:39 pm

For potential NBA impact, I like Karl Towns better than Okafor. Karl Towns is better in the high post offensively and more importantly a much better defender. Both are great passers, but I think Towns is more creative and has more awareness. Okafor outclasses Karl Towns in the low post, but because neither are exceptionally explosive, I think Karl Towns' High post game will be nearly as effective as Okafors' low post game at the pro level. Regarding defense: I'll always select the defensive center over the offensive center unless the defensive guy is a pure zero on offense (like Caulie-Stein).

Recently, it seems the offensive centers that do not protect the rim, also don't produce wins in the NBA. (Pekovic, Vucevic, Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez). I don't want to build my team around a center that doesn't defend the basket.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
No-Man
RealGM

Post#7 » by No-Man » Thu Feb 5, 2015 7:46 pm

Towns cant defend Centers in the post, he has length and can block shots, but thats far from been a rim protector.
The best 2 Center defenders in the league are Bogut and Gasol, both of them are basically smart and have quick feet, while they are strong and big.

Towns is not a strong guy, his lower body especially is going to be an issue going forward.
I do not really see were this defensive potential hype from Towns comes.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#8 » by Justwar » Fri Feb 6, 2015 12:06 am

Towns is a very good run jump athlete not a freak but very good. He's currently being forced to learn the post first which will benefit him later. In March expect more jumpers to show more of his game.
PICKnPOP
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#9 » by PICKnPOP » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:31 am

Calapari didn't let randle show his jumper at UK. I think we're seeing all we're going to see from Towns until he gets into the NBA. Personally, I see him as a 4 in the NBA because of his weak base. At least for the first few years.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Fri Feb 6, 2015 10:05 pm

PICKnPOP wrote:Calapari didn't let randle show his jumper at UK. I think we're seeing all we're going to see from Towns until he gets into the NBA. Personally, I see him as a 4 in the NBA because of his weak base. At least for the first few years.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

randle couldnt shoot.

also, i'd be just as worried about towns' ability to defend in space as a i would him holding position in the post.
he's a C through and through to me.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#11 » by 2hard2guard » Fri Feb 6, 2015 10:46 pm

Call me crazy but okafor is not a #1 for me ! Guy is not to athletic,towns is my guy,If the Knicks get a crack at either perhaps they go for towns ! mudiay is a special talent and the Knicks could use a point leader real bad ! Sleeper in the draft may be the kid from ND
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#12 » by ManualRam » Fri Feb 6, 2015 10:49 pm

2hard2guard wrote:Call me crazy but okafor is not a #1 for me ! Guy is not to athletic,towns is my guy,If the Knicks get a crack at either perhaps they go for towns ! mudiay is a special talent and the Knicks could use a point leader real bad ! Sleeper in the draft may be the kid from ND

okafor isnt athletic...but towns is? pls
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#13 » by MinneOOPalis » Sat Feb 7, 2015 8:01 am

ManualRam wrote:
2hard2guard wrote:Call me crazy but okafor is not a #1 for me ! Guy is not to athletic,towns is my guy,If the Knicks get a crack at either perhaps they go for towns ! mudiay is a special talent and the Knicks could use a point leader real bad ! Sleeper in the draft may be the kid from ND

In your opinion, Who is the best prospect in the draft ?
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#14 » by Dcebucks11 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 9:27 am

Okafor imo but Towns has high upside and won't be a liability on the defensive end like Okafor probably will be. I just think it'll take more time for Towns to adjust to the NBA.

I still feel like Okafor is close to Lopez type of player, I'd draft Towns over him, I want to find out what the upside is.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Sat Feb 7, 2015 9:50 am

MinneOOPalis wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

okafor
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM

Post#16 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 7, 2015 3:14 pm

Can someone here explain to me why in all the boards Towns is been pictured as a defensive minded, shotblocking, stretch PF in the mold of Ibaka, or dare I say, Sheed? seriously, I dont get it, he is nothing like that, like at all.
Eh Oh Canada
Senior
And1: 39

Post#17 » by Eh Oh Canada » Sat Feb 7, 2015 9:33 pm

I'll have to say Okafor.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#18 » by Marcus » Sun Feb 8, 2015 1:15 am

Fischella wrote:Can someone here explain to me why in all the boards Towns is been pictured as a defensive minded, shotblocking, stretch PF in the mold of Ibaka, or dare I say, Sheed? seriously, I dont get it, he is nothing like that, like at all.

per 40 block numbers, lack of post game, and the jumper he's expected to showcase in the league.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Feb 8, 2015 3:33 am

ManualRam wrote:
MinneOOPalis wrote:
ManualRam wrote:okafor isnt athletic...but towns is? pls

okafor

how good of player do you think he'll be? how good on defense in particular?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Sun Feb 8, 2015 4:03 am

ManualRam wrote:

Towns is more athletic than Okafor, that shouldn't be under debate.

Return to NBA Draft