Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#761 » by Icness » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm

treiz wrote:
Icness wrote:
treiz wrote:Hey Jeff,

Any chance for some post-combine news on the Jets?

Thanks

Sadly not a lot. I have speculation but it would be just that.

That's a shame, mind sharing that speculation? :D

Thanks a bunch again

My Jets speculation:
Brian Hoyer will be the starting QB
If Brandon Marshall gets cut--and he might--he winds up in New York
Antonio Cromartie will be back
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#762 » by Worm Guts » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I assumed DGB had to sit because he was a transfer. If he was eligible and they didn't play him that is a huge red flag.

To answer my own question, according to Wikipedia DGB was required by the NCAA to sit out the season.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#763 » by Icness » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I assumed DGB had to sit because he was a transfer. If he was eligible and they didn't play him that is a huge red flag.

He was eligible because his old school expelled him before the school year started. Wonky rule.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#764 » by Worm Guts » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Icness wrote:

He was eligible because his old school expelled him before the school year started. Wonky rule.

Wikipedia says he wasn't eligible and that NCAA wouldn't grant him a waiver.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#765 » by Icness » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Icness wrote:

Wikipedia says he wasn't eligible and that NCAA wouldn't grant him a waiver.

That's not the info given at the Combine. I'll dig a little on that.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#766 » by treiz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Icness wrote:
treiz wrote:
Icness wrote:Sadly not a lot. I have speculation but it would be just that.

That's a shame, mind sharing that speculation? :D

Thanks a bunch again

My Jets speculation:
Brian Hoyer will be the starting QB
If Brandon Marshall gets cut--and he might--he winds up in New York
Antonio Cromartie will be back

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate it

God I hope we don't get Hoyer, would find it a bit odd if Maccagnan/Bowles target him
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#767 » by CJ_18 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Icness wrote:
hermes wrote:jeff,

who had the best and worst combine in terms of improving/hurting their stock?

Worst:
Paul Dawson. Unquestionably the worst.

This was interesting to me. I kinda appreciate guys with the confidence/swagger who can walk into the combine like it doesn't really mean anything to them and the workouts dont really matter, and they can do that because its backed up by the film/production on the field. Almost like "I don't need this... I've proven I can play and I'm the best at my position (which is pretty much what Dawson tweeted after everyone got on him for his combine performance)." I think its much more respectable than guys who are the opposite, who show up like the combine is the be-all and end-all and think their crazy testing numbers are more important than the film/how they actually play the game. Because you watch Dawson run his 40 and his demeanor/attitude appeared exactly that... it almost looked like he pulled up before his 40 was even done.

There are some guys who have track/testing speed and run 4.5 and jump out of the gym while Dawson runs a 4.9 and jumps 28", but they don't play as fast and explosive as Dawson because he clearly has better instincts, natural feel for the game (recognizing/ tracking where the ball is going, shedding blocks, etc), and that "it" factor that makes him able to elevate his play to be the best on Saturdays under the lights.

I see it over and over, coaches and scouts fall in lust with measurables, but the bottom line is, you can't really tell how someone plays the game of football until you see them under the gun in the heat of battle.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#768 » by SpeedyG » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:14 am

Jeff, any FA buzz at the combine?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#769 » by Icness » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:00 pm

CJ_18 wrote:
Icness wrote:
hermes wrote:jeff,

who had the best and worst combine in terms of improving/hurting their stock?

Worst:
Paul Dawson. Unquestionably the worst.

This was interesting to me. I kinda appreciate guys with the confidence/swagger who can walk into the combine like it doesn't really mean anything to them and the workouts dont really matter, and they can do that because its backed up by the film/production on the field. Almost like "I don't need this... I've proven I can play and I'm the best at my position (which is pretty much what Dawson tweeted after everyone got on him for his combine performance)." I think its much more respectable than guys who are the opposite, who show up like the combine is the be-all and end-all and think their crazy testing numbers are more important than the film/how they actually play the game. Because you watch Dawson run his 40 and his demeanor/attitude appeared exactly that... it almost looked like he pulled up before his 40 was even done.

There are some guys who have track/testing speed and run 4.5 and jump out of the gym while Dawson runs a 4.9 and jumps 28", but they don't play as fast and explosive as Dawson because he clearly has better instincts, natural feel for the game (recognizing/ tracking where the ball is going, shedding blocks, etc), and that "it" factor that makes him able to elevate his play to be the best on Saturdays under the lights.

I see it over and over, coaches and scouts fall in lust with measurables, but the bottom line is, you can't really tell how someone plays the game of football until you see them under the gun in the heat of battle.

Dawson is not an athlete, he's a football player. Those guys can be effective NFL players but they have lower ceilings. He wasn't even close to being an "average" athlete for his position and that's a problem no matter how much skill he exudes on the field. NFL guys he will be facing are bigger/stronger/faster than what he saw in the Big 12. Pair that with the fact he admits he's lazy and chronically tardy and I don't see much reason to look at him before about the 5th round.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#770 » by Icness » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:11 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Jeff, any FA buzz at the combine?

Suh will be back in DET, period.

If the Eagles can't land Maclin expect him to wind up in Kansas City and reunite with Andy Reid

The Colts are chasing Nick Fairley hard. He will not be back in DET barring him opting to take less $$ to return. A lot less $$.

Randall Cobb is going to command more than the Packers expected and I don't see them keeping him. Best guess is he winds up in Tampa Bay, which desperately needs a slot guy to go with VJax and Evans and are aware of it, plus they've got beau coup $$ to spend. With Jameis at the controls that's a pretty solid passing game. The numbers I heard from an agent on Cobb were 4 yr/$35M and I was told the Packers expected $10M less than that to lock him up.

Jake Locker to the Bills had some traction, not sure where that is anymore though

Lots of folks were connecting the dots with Antonio Cromartie back to the Jets. I don't know anything beyond that.

You will see Jacksonville linked to pretty much every FA RB. I can't tell you which one they sign, but they're signing at least one.

Nobody expects Julius Thomas back in Denver. Cleveland will have major interest because they are losing Jordan Cameron, who wants nothing to do with going back to the Browns
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#771 » by SpeedyG » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:54 pm

Icness wrote:

If the Eagles can't land Maclin expect him to wind up in Kansas City and reunite with Andy Reid

The Colts are chasing Nick Fairley hard. He will not be back in DET barring him opting to take less $$ to return. A lot less $$.

Randall Cobb is going to command more than the Packers expected and I don't see them keeping him. Best guess is he winds up in Tampa Bay, which desperately needs a slot guy to go with VJax and Evans and are aware of it, plus they've got beau coup $$ to spend. With Jameis at the controls that's a pretty solid passing game. The numbers I heard from an agent on Cobb were 4 yr/$35M and I was told the Packers expected $10M less than that to lock him up.

Jake Locker to the Bills had some traction, not sure where that is anymore though

Lots of folks were connecting the dots with Antonio Cromartie back to the Jets. I don't know anything beyond that.

You will see Jacksonville linked to pretty much every FA RB. I can't tell you which one they sign, but they're signing at least one.

Nobody expects Julius Thomas back in Denver. Cleveland will have major interest because they are losing Jordan Cameron, who wants nothing to do with going back to the Browns

Thanks Jeff!

Cobb in TB would be nice with those two big WRs. If they can protect Winston, it will be a nice little offense.

A bit disappointed if the Jags go RB again, mainly due to the depth at RB in this year's draft.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#772 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:56 pm

Any Adrian Peterson news?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#773 » by Icness » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:04 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Any Adrian Peterson news?

Trust in my man Arif Hasan of several Vikings sites. I get a lot on MIN from him.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#774 » by Da Schwab » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:19 pm

So, after the Combine you had the Giants taking Ereck Flowers. Just about every other mock has them in a coinflip between Scherff and Peat. The Giants could use young talent in just about every slot on the OL, so taking any of the three would make sense.

Anyway, I guess my question is: who has the biggest con/drawback of the three to make the Giants avoid taking them?

Oh, and could you see them moving down in the first to stockpile picks since OGs/OTs seems decently deep this year?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#775 » by Icness » Sat Mar 7, 2015 12:16 am

Da Schwab wrote:So, after the Combine you had the Giants taking Ereck Flowers. Just about every other mock has them in a coinflip between Scherff and Peat. The Giants could use young talent in just about every slot on the OL, so taking any of the three would make sense.

Anyway, I guess my question is: who has the biggest con/drawback of the three to make the Giants avoid taking them?

Oh, and could you see them moving down in the first to stockpile picks since OGs/OTs seems decently deep this year?

Good question!

Scherff is a guard and a guard only, I don't care what others say. That's too damn high to take a guard, even if he winds up being a very good one and I think he will.

Peat is wildly inconsistent. Some games he looks legit top 10, others he's slow and plays with zero passion. Nate Orchard wiped the field with Peat and that's a pretty ordinary athlete who gets by on being smarter and higher motor than the guy blocking him. I gave Peat (and Orchard) a 3rd round grade.

Flowers doesn't play with much strength. He's got it in his body but poor technique ruins it. He's a lunger and doesn't always move his feet in sync. Has some injury history too, nothing serious but one of those guys always battling one thing or another.

IMO both Peat and Flowers (and D.J. Humphries, not a fan) will all be available at 15 but probably not by 25 if they are looking to move back. The problem will be finding someone willing to move up for a specific player in a class where there is no real separation between the 15th best player and the 50th best player.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#776 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 7, 2015 12:38 am

I'm glad you said that. I know it's a deep running back class, as we talked about earlier, but this seems one of the weakest overall classes in a good while too. Even the top 10 picks guys are meh... to me. Except for Shaq Thompson and Leonard Williams. :)
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#777 » by El Turco » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:01 pm

Icness wrote:

:)
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#778 » by Icness » Sun Mar 8, 2015 11:10 pm

I know, right? MIA ponied up the guaranteed $$. Lions wouldn't go above $58M.

Going to be fun to see how the Lions spend their money. Sure looks like Fairley will be a Colt. Are they going full 3-4? Odrick? CB help? Spiller sure sounds likely now.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#779 » by Da Schwab » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:34 am

Icness wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:So, after the Combine you had the Giants taking Ereck Flowers. Just about every other mock has them in a coinflip between Scherff and Peat. The Giants could use young talent in just about every slot on the OL, so taking any of the three would make sense.

Good question!

Scherff is a guard and a guard only, I don't care what others say. That's too damn high to take a guard, even if he winds up being a very good one and I think he will.

Peat is wildly inconsistent. Some games he looks legit top 10, others he's slow and plays with zero passion. Nate Orchard wiped the field with Peat and that's a pretty ordinary athlete who gets by on being smarter and higher motor than the guy blocking him. I gave Peat (and Orchard) a 3rd round grade.

Flowers doesn't play with much strength. He's got it in his body but poor technique ruins it. He's a lunger and doesn't always move his feet in sync. Has some injury history too, nothing serious but one of those guys always battling one thing or another.

IMO both Peat and Flowers (and D.J. Humphries, not a fan) will all be available at 15 but probably not by 25 if they are looking to move back. The problem will be finding someone willing to move up for a specific player in a class where there is no real separation between the 15th best player and the 50th best player.

Thanks, man. Here's another one:

So, with Chip Kelly making all of these moves to save cap space and get weaker at skill positions, can we just assume that he's going full speed ahead with trading up and getting Mariota as his QB of the future?

If so, what kind of market is there for Nick Foles?
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#780 » by Twolf16 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:10 am

Will Vikings still seriously consider a wide receiver in the first round with Wallace now on the team? I would bet so, but they desperately need a LG or LT. Linebacker too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to NFL Draft