Post#1 » by aad » Fri Mar 6, 2015 1:28 am

Where do he land in the lottery and which teams will he fit best on

I would love him on the pistons
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#2 » by sweetcity » Fri Mar 6, 2015 1:29 am

Trevor Ariza 2.0 great value in between 10-15 if you can get him.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#3 » by rumdiary » Sat Mar 7, 2015 4:28 pm

Oubre is like a spectacularly good-looking version of Tayshaun Prince :)
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#4 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 8, 2015 5:49 am

Nice 3/D wing. Does remind me of Trevor Ariza, could have some Paul George-like upside. Very smooth offensively.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
PaperLantern
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#5 » by PaperLantern » Mon Mar 9, 2015 1:21 am

I think he'd be a good fit for the Suns, but he'll probably go top 10.

Bledsoe
Knight
Oubre/Tucker
Morris
Len
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 pm

I freaking LOVE Oubre. He finishes like Jamal Crawford with his long arms around the rim. Doesn't have a good handle, but he can put the ball down. Really fast first step, he can be a good defender (looks like Caron Butler on-ball), but he's a better team-defender (gets in lanes and great transition). He should be able to get pick and roll defense down. His shot will be fine. I just wish he had a post game and attacked the basket more. He's going to be a very good player down the road.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by sweetcity » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Im not sold, reminds me a bit of James Young, the Caron Butler comparison is interesting. Butler was waaaaaay better coming into the league though
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#8 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:00 pm

sweetcity wrote:Im not sold, reminds me a bit of James Young, the Caron Butler comparison is interesting. Butler was waaaaaay better coming into the league though

He is a much better athlete than Young. His lateral quickness and speed is elite. He actually elite tools for his position. Like Young, he lacks handles and has low awareness. He has really good BBIQ. He is what you call low floor- high ceiling. Giannis and Dennis S. fit that mold as well.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by sweetcity » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:16 pm

King Ken wrote:
sweetcity wrote:Im not sold, reminds me a bit of James Young, the Caron Butler comparison is interesting. Butler was waaaaaay better coming into the league though

He is a much better athlete than Young. His lateral quickness and speed is elite. He actually elite tools for his position. Like Young, he lacks handles and has low awareness. He has really good BBIQ. He is what you call low floor- high ceiling. Giannis and Dennis S. fit that mold as well.

umm putting Kelly Oubre in the same sentence as Giannis A. is pretty wild. Giannis is 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan. Kelly Oubre has average size for a small forward 6'7 but does have a good wing span at 7"1.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#10 » by Upperclass » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Looks like Rudy Gay to me
Powe-Fessional
Junior
And1: 490

Post#11 » by Powe-Fessional » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Kelly Oubre is an enigma. He's so tantalizing because he'll put together some holy $#!t games and then sandwich them between two duds. I've spent a lot of time watching him (you can go find "The Great Debate" thread somewhere if you want more in-depth detail with my scouting report and clips of him).

Oubre is a "has to be drafted into the right situation" type of guy. I look at Utah, Boston, Phoenix, Atlanta (Nets pick) as a perfect fit for him given where those teams will draft. Quinn Snyder is doing a phenomenal job developing that Jazz team into something really special. Ditto for Brad Stevens and Boston. Budenholzer is a brilliant mind and the veterans in play there would help him (plus him and Schroeder would be a lot of fun on the break). I happen to really like Hornacek too, but he'd be 4th on my "ideal landing spot" for Oubre.

At his best, Oubre is a knockdown shooter that can be deadly in an open floor. He's lightening quick, great first step, but his handle needs to catch up to his legs (big problem for kids that age). Defensively he's long and quick, but gets lazy. Pretty bad team defender IMO because he loafs and loses his assignment. That can be taught so I would be too concerned.

My fear is some team high in the lottery falls in love with his athleticism, drafts him, and doesn't let him develop (Sacramento come on down). He's a little bit of a mutt in terms of a comp. He's definitely got some Prince in him though. But he's not there defensively yet.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#12 » by King Ken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 am

Powe-Fessional wrote:Kelly Oubre is an enigma. He's so tantalizing because he'll put together some holy $#!t games and then sandwich them between two duds. I've spent a lot of time watching him (you can go find "The Great Debate" thread somewhere if you want more in-depth detail with my scouting report and clips of him).

Oubre is a "has to be drafted into the right situation" type of guy. I look at Utah, Boston, Phoenix, Atlanta (Nets pick) as a perfect fit for him given where those teams will draft. Quinn Snyder is doing a phenomenal job developing that Jazz team into something really special. Ditto for Brad Stevens and Boston. Budenholzer is a brilliant mind and the veterans in play there would help him (plus him and Schroeder would be a lot of fun on the break). I happen to really like Hornacek too, but he'd be 4th on my "ideal landing spot" for Oubre.

At his best, Oubre is a knockdown shooter that can be deadly in an open floor. He's lightening quick, great first step, but his handle needs to catch up to his legs (big problem for kids that age). Defensively he's long and quick, but gets lazy. Pretty bad team defender IMO because he loafs and loses his assignment. That can be taught so I would be too concerned.

My fear is some team high in the lottery falls in love with his athleticism, drafts him, and doesn't let him develop (Sacramento come on down). He's a little bit of a mutt in terms of a comp. He's definitely got some Prince in him though. But he's not there defensively yet.

I see him as a SG/SF in the NBA. I don't see Rudy either. Rudy was more talented and skilled but Oubre is much smarter than Gay was in college. A lot more.

I see him as a blend of McLemore, J. Young and A. Bradley. Bradley measurables for position, defensive potential and overall/lateral quickness, McLemore off ball ability and lack of feel for the game out of college and Young's shooting abilities and shot selection. He's a blend of those players to me.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#13 » by snoopdogg88 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:48 pm

I think the Trevor Ariza comparison in terms of impact is dead on.

I see almost identical impact and numbers through his NBA career. Not a star, but a very valuable role player
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:58 pm

PaperLantern wrote:I think he'd be a good fit for the Suns, but he'll probably go top 10.

Bledsoe
Knight
Oubre/Tucker
Morris
Len

I think they have pretty high hopes for TJ Warren who looks really good in his limited minutes.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by sweetcity » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Looks like a ghost against Wichita St
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#16 » by Old Man Game » Mon May 4, 2015 2:14 am

Hoping this dude falls to the Thunder at 14. Looks like a guy with solid 3 and D potential.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 4, 2015 3:27 am

bwgood77 wrote:
PaperLantern wrote:I think he'd be a good fit for the Suns, but he'll probably go top 10.

Bledsoe
Knight
Oubre/Tucker
Morris
Len

I think they have pretty high hopes for TJ Warren who looks really good in his limited minutes.

Yeah, I don't even think they keep the pick. The Suns want to compete right now. I think they package the number one with some other assets and look to trade for a star rather than picking one up on the free agent market because none of the bigger names available will want to go there. I actually think this is an interesting destination to pick up Brook Lopez.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#18 » by MCtripDub » Tue May 5, 2015 3:52 pm

Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#19 » by guille_4 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:59 pm

What's going on with Kelly Oubre?

He has fallen quite a bit over the past few weeks. Draftexpress has him at #15, NBADraft.net at #25, Sports Illustrated at #20...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:20 pm

guille_4 wrote:What's going on with Kelly Oubre?

He has fallen quite a bit over the past few weeks. Draftexpress has him at #15, NBADraft.net at #25, Sports Illustrated at #20...

It's more that other players are rising. He hasn't been doing good in interviews though. Teams think he's not interested in basketball and thinks he thinks better than he actually is.
Someone earlier said he has average size, but that's wrong. He has the prototypical body for the wing meaning he has the perfect body to become a great player, but teams are worried about if he actually cares to make something out of it. Reminds me of DeRozan when he came in the league.
I have a lot of faith in him though. He's still really young and doesn't understand how the world works, but I think when he's in his prime, he's going to be really good.
I saw a lot of potential nearing the end of the season and I'm not giving up on him. I think he can do a lot more than what we've seen. I feel the same way about him as I did with LaVine last year. When a player has a great first step I think they make it in the league no matter what and if they can stick to their man on defense. I think he has both. He's a tough kid on defense. I really believe in him.

Return to NBA Draft