Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Toronto FC Discussion Thread II 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:45 am

The Official Toronto FC Thread II

Schedule: Link
Roster: Link
News: Link

It looks like the original Toronto FC thread I started way back in 2008 has finally run it's course. Time for a new beginning here.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,363

Re: Toronto FC Discussion Thread II 

Post#2 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:58 am

TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#3 » by TheSamMitchell » Sun Mar 8, 2015 7:22 am

ForeverTFC wrote:Image

Lol...scored two in his Premier League career. I hope we won't see a repeat of that at TFC lol.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#4 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Mar 8, 2015 1:48 pm

TheSamMitchell wrote:
Lol...scored two in his Premier League career. I hope we won't see a repeat of that at TFC lol.

Giovinco, Bradley, Cheyrou, and Morrow are, in my opinion, better than pretty much anyone he played with in Sunderland. These are the guys sending him, so I think he'll score more. Now I'm sure he'll go through some droughts, but I'm fine with that. We have fire power.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:17 pm

I was honestly shocked by how good Morrow looked yesterday.

I expected it from the others, but not him.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#6 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:11 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:I was honestly shocked by how good Morrow looked yesterday.

I expected it from the others, but not him.

He's consistently ranked a top 3 LB in this league. He was an all-star with SJ. We didn't really see his full potential under Nelsen who likes his backline to stay put. Morrow does really well moving forward - which was saw yesterday - and has enough pace to cover a ton of space.

He is everything I hoped Ashtone Morgan could become.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,097

Post#7 » by magik9113 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 4:33 am

so.....what's the deal with no home games until May? am I reading the schedule correctly?
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#8 » by MaliBrah » Mon Mar 9, 2015 5:20 am

magik9113 wrote:so.....what's the deal with no home games until May? am I reading the schedule correctly?

BMO stadium is undergoing an expansion/renovation and its not completed yet. 7 games away from home to start the season isn't ideal but if they make it through that in a good position then that would be fantastic.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Mar 9, 2015 12:47 pm

MaliBrah wrote:
magik9113 wrote:so.....what's the deal with no home games until May? am I reading the schedule correctly?

BMO stadium is undergoing an expansion/renovation and its not completed yet. 7 games away from home to start the season isn't ideal but if they make it through that in a good position then that would be fantastic.

Exactly, even if we go .500 on the road to start the season, that will leave us in a great position for the remainder of the season.

Lots of home games in the last few weeks.

Of course, I'm hoping for a lot better than .500, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#10 » by ForeverTFC » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:33 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
MaliBrah wrote:

Exactly, even if we go .500 on the road to start the season, that will leave us in a great position for the remainder of the season.

Lots of home games in the last few weeks.

Of course, I'm hoping for a lot better than .500, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

Gold cup in July as well, with only 1 game at BMO the whole month. Some of our more important guys will be gone during what is essentially a 1 month road schedule. We play the Galaxy, NYCFC, Union, and Columbus in that stretch. We need to do well leading up to June or we may be in trouble.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,097

Post#11 » by magik9113 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 8:52 pm

I see. thanks for the info guys. It can definitely be a huge advantage toward the end of the season if TFC pull off some more early results.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:09 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/575311166269952000[/tweet]

Great start to the season for Jozy, hopefully he keeps going and gets player of the month too.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#13 » by Brew666 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:31 pm

A lot to like out of Saturday's match.

After Caldwell and Creavalle were getting burned on long balls for the 1st half, nice adjustment by Vanney. Something we wouldn't have seen out of Nelson.

Obviously Altidore and Seba had good games but Cheyrou and Perquis impressed me too. Neither are going to do anything spectacular but both play a very sound game. W/ Bradley, Seba, and Cheyrou in the middle, TFC should be able to control the middle in most games.

Next game, I'd like to see Bloom start at right back. W/ the quality TFC has up the middle, I'm thinking the best tactic for opposing teams will be using the wings to their advantage and I would rather have a more experienced defender on the pitch. The adjustment at half helped but still not confident in Caldwell and Creavalle. Hopefully Caldwell get his legs under him w/ a few more games b/c he's supposed to be a fairly important piece defensively.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:20 am

Toronto FC left gushing over Sebastian Giovinco after impressive season-opening performance

Sebastian Giovinco got his first taste of life in Major League Soccer, playing a big role in Toronto FC’s 3-1 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps last Saturday.

The performance left Giovinco’s teammates with nothing but praise for the Italian international, who spent Thursday's training session testing Joe Bendik with rocket penalties and set pieces from the corner flag. Each penalty he buried past Bendik saw Giovinco flash a wide grin and a laugh, something Michael Bradley says has become a common sight in training.

“Giovinco comes in with a smile every day,” Bradley said. “He’s enjoying every part of this new experience and everything that entails. People forget, for a guy like Seba, he’s played his entire career in Italy. He’s soaking all of this in. He’s come in with no preconceived notions of what something should be like.”

On the field, Steven Caldwell and Jozy Altidore say Giovinco offers more than just an attacking threat up top. Caldwell pointed out Giovinco’s low center of gravity and nimble footwork as being key in holding up the play, while Altidore said Giovinco provides everyone on the team with an outlet in the middle to pass into.

“When we are playing well, we’re going to be getting the ball to him more often than not to cause damage,” Caldwell said.

Added Altidore: “How he fits into the team is more important than how he fits with one guy. We saw in Vancouver, he connects well with everybody.”

Another person impressed with Giovinco is head coach Greg Vanney, who believes Giovinco will get better the more he adjusts to the travel and physicality of MLS. But, even in the early stages, Giovinco has left a strong impression on his new manager, who is now working on optimizing his tactical approach to get the most out of the Atomic Ant.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... eason-open
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:52 pm

COLUMBUS CREW SC vs TORONTO FC
MAPFRE STADIUM, Columbus, Ohio
March 14, 2015 (WEEK 2, MLS Game #15)
7:30 p.m. ET (TWC-OH; TSN2)

Game day Toronto!
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#16 » by Truthrising » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:06 pm

First game was nice with the altodore and giovonco combo, looking forward to this game to see if the altidore hype is legit.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Demario wrote:First game was nice with the altodore and giovonco combo, looking forward to this game to see if the altidore hype is legit.

Six buses full of Toronto fans have driven down to Columbus.

Hopefully TFC puts on a good show for them.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#18 » by Truthrising » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:19 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Demario wrote:First game was nice with the altodore and giovonco combo, looking forward to this game to see if the altidore hype is legit.

Six buses full of Toronto fans have driven down to Columbus.

Hopefully TFC puts on a good show for them.

TFC fans are pretty hardcore! That's more buses than raptor fans going to Detroit.. Lol

I love that we have fans that support them. I actually think we have a better core of players than we did last year. I'm liking the new additions (gio and altidore) moreso than Defoe and I'm expecting well do better this year, pretty hype for this season that's for sure.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#19 » by TheSamMitchell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:10 pm

I can't wait to see who shows up this game. Hopefully Giovinco scores.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:57 pm

TheSamMitchell wrote:I can't wait to see who shows up this game. Hopefully Giovinco scores.

I have a feeling he'll score two for some reason.

I think he'll like the pitch in Columbus.

Return to Major League Soccer