Willie Cauley-Stein

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Willie Cauley-Stein 

Post#1 » by Joseph17 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Why isn't this guy projected to be a top 5 pick? He runs the floor so well and he's ridiculously mobile for a 7 footer. He doesn't have much of a post game, but there are only a handful of bigs in the NBA that actually have a post game in today's game. He seems like he has a lot of potential and a small chance of becoming a bust. He looks like he'll have a pretty easy time of transitioning to the NBA unless he has some glaring weaknesses that I don't know about.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Re: Willie Cauley-Stein 

Post#2 » by noobcake » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Junior who failed to develop an offensive game in 3 years of time/college. Sure if you want to draft a really good garbage man, defender with your top 5 pick go ahead. Superstar offensive talent wins you championships. You sure as hell won't win if you can't put the ball in the hoop during crunch time.

He is already being projected really high, top 10 in most drafts, based on defensive potential alone.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:32 pm

He's got some DeAndre Jordan to him IMO. A guy who can become a very good NBA player without really being a scorer.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#4 » by teerfour+40LG » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Reggie Evans offense. Questionable rebounder. Most likely lacks the leadership qualities and BBIQ of a Tyson Chandler/David Robinson type.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 pm

He's not a go to guy but his length, athleticism and hands should be enough to generate 10-12 high efficiency points per game. Add that to a high level versatile defender and you have a pretty good player.
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#6 » by djphan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:40 pm

he is what he is.... he's tried to expand his game but it's usually resulted into something ugly... he knows his limitations...

he's not a bad center and there are plenty of limited offense/boards and blocks type of centers in the league and he fits that mold to a T... that has value...

he's not an elite rim protector.. he's not as bad as okafor but he falls short of what is considered elite since he never really got over that 4 blocks per 40 rate in any of his years that would put him in that category... but can he be tyson chandler? yes absolutely and that has value...

top 5? in this draft? i would say no but you can make a case for him ...
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#7 » by ColdBlooded » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 pm

No. I still have weird feelings about him in the top-10.

He's nothing on offense and his toughness gets questioned on the glass. His athleticism is sweet and he should be able to defend Pick N Rolls with ease. I just don't see a great rim protector. More of a weak side shot blocker.
Sam Hinkie crew.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#8 » by dorkestra » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:36 am

ColdBlooded wrote:No. I still have weird feelings about him in the top-10.

He's nothing on offense and his toughness gets questioned on the glass. His athleticism is sweet and he should be able to defend Pick N Rolls with ease. I just don't see a great rim protector. More of a weak side shot blocker.

I know what you mean. I wasn't big on him last year at all. Definitely missing the it factor. Complimentary player mind set. Next to a guy like Cousins though, he could find an opportunity to be an elite role player.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#9 » by Justwar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:00 am

Just because he doesn't block tons of shots it doesn't mean he doesn't protect the rim.
ColdBlooded
Rookie

Post#10 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:05 am

Justwar wrote:Just because he doesn't block tons of shots it doesn't mean he doesn't protect the rim.

Thats not why i feel that way. I get why his blocks dipped.

My concern is with his awareness/Instincts/toughness. I doubt he can anchor an NBA defense.

Also, why is his length consistently overrated? People label him long or compare him to players who're really long. His wingspan is 7"2". Not bad, but nothing great.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#11 » by Gilles » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:05 am

WCS doesn't have wide shoulders, so his relatively shorter wingspan doesn't mean he has shorter arms. His reach was measured at 9'2" at Kentucky Pro Day. Interestingly, Towns was at 9'5" long at Hoops Summit and shrunk to 9'1" by Pro Day :lol:, probably to register higher jump.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#12 » by Justwar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't get the question about instincts and toughness, what brings you to that?
ColdBlooded
Rookie

Post#13 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Justwar wrote:I don't get the question about instincts and toughness, what brings you to that?

His instincts are alright. I just feel they aren't elite, or as good as people think.

Its pretty easy to see the toughness questions. He doesn't like to get physical and shies away from contact. Thats evident on the glass and in the post when he's trying to create down there.

I see a 3rd big off the bench.
Sam Hinkie crew.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#14 » by reignfire » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

No heart.

To compare this guy to Tyson Chandler is hilarious. Tyson is tougher mentally and physically. And actually likes the game of basketball.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#15 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 12:53 pm

cedric76 wrote:The book on Willie Cauley-Stein remains the same: phenomenal defender, severely limited scorer.

Kentucky's hyper-athletic big man spent at least some time guarding literally every position on the floor during the tournament. His footwork, instincts and explosiveness have all noticeably improved since his freshman year.

In a league where pick-and-roll guards and athletic forwards are the greatest offensive forces, Cauley-Stein could be the NBA's kryptonite. His defensive value alone makes him a lottery pick.

On the flip side, his offense continued to disappoint as the tourney progressed. That partially influences the comparisons to Tyson Chandler, although I believe he'll do more than Chandler in his prime.

bleacher

i couldnt agree more
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#16 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 8, 2015 1:04 pm

I liken him to Tyson Chandler more than Jordan. He has much better Defensive BBIQ than Jordan ever had. Offensive BBIQ can be an issue. Tyson has good offensive BBIQ and I haven't seen that from WCS but then again, the NBA is a lot more favorable to athletic bigs with tools than college Basketball is.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#17 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 8, 2015 1:09 pm

reignfire wrote:No heart.

To compare this guy to Tyson Chandler is hilarious. Tyson is tougher mentally and physically. And actually likes the game of basketball.

I remember Chicago Tyson, that wasn't pretty. It's unfair to expect a 21 to perform at another comparable player's prime. I've heard Tyson is soft and doesn't play hard all last year for the Knicks. I personally have no issues with WCS effort. I think it's a hater type of statement unless it's obvious like Austin Rivers can't score at the rim.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#18 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 8, 2015 1:55 pm

It really is shocking to me that people really think Willie Caulie-Stein is worth a top 5-6 pick. He has little to no offensive skill, he doesn't rebound and he is a slightly above average shot blocker. The team that drafts Willie Caulie-Stein in the top 6, to be a good pick-and-roll defender, is really wasting a rare and valuable asset. You don't throw away top lottery picks on that.

Everything that Willie Caulie-Stein is good at, you probably could get from Jordan Mickey, with a late 20's pick. Except for height, Caulie-Stein is not like Deandre Jordan at all.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,536

Post#19 » by jpengland » Wed Apr 8, 2015 2:26 pm

Floor - Brandon Wright
Ceiling - Larry Sanders

It just doesn't excite as a top 5 pick, I guess. But he could be vary valuable to pretty much any team IMO.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#20 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 8, 2015 2:52 pm

jpengland wrote:Floor - Brandon Wright
Ceiling - Larry Sanders

It just doesn't excite as a top 5 pick, I guess. But he could be vary valuable to pretty much any team IMO.

Brandan Wright was a better player as a Freshman than Caulie-Stein was as a Junior. I don't see how the better prospect could be his "Floor".
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to NBA Draft