is Emmanuel Mudiay overrated?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

is Emmanuel Mudiay overrated? 

Post#1 » by nickforthreee » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I have tried to watch a lot of his film, & I just don't see superstar potential like people are saying. I've heard him compared to john wall a lot, but I don't see the elite athleticism. he's a good athlete & a good player but I see nothing spectacular about him. I would comfortable take towns, Russell, okafor, Winslow, & hezonja over him at this point.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: is Emmanuel Mudiay overrated? 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:53 pm

:oops:
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#3 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Yes he's overrated I don't think he will be better than Jrue Holiday or Micheal Carter Williams . His athleticism and quickness is very overrated . His shot looks worst than Micheal Carter a Williams . He will never shoot as well as Jrue Holiday .

He is not in the same planet as prospects like Wall, Rose and Westbrook.

He reminds me of a smaller Tyreke Evans with slightly better passing skill. Not sold on him . He will not get to the rim at will or kill teams with his jump shot . He isn't elite quick or athletic like advertised he is just big and strong.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#4 » by reanimator » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Only if you are blind
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:14 pm

reanimator wrote:Only if you are blind

Hype .

Grant, Russell and Dunn are all better.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,730

Post#6 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:16 pm

I don't think most people have seen enough at this point to rate him at all
#NeverGonnaBeGood
No-Man
RealGM

Post#7 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Mudiay is as big as Evans and is a real PG unlike Evans whos BBIQ is downright negative for his team.

Mudiay is 19yo, and is freak physically, the strength he carries and his level of explosiveness is going to be a factor, he is just that big and strong, plus the IQ.

He is a mini LeBron James.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#8 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:18 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:

Hype .

Grant is 4 years older, Dunn is 2, by the time Manny is 23 like Grant will be when the NBA season starts
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#9 » by Cammo101 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I think Mudiay is rated exactly where he should be. He's a top 4 talent in this draft, and most seem to have him as the 4th of the big 4.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#10 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I think he's underrated. Dude has a chance to be a franchise player.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#11 » by Zombiesonics » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:48 pm

dunn or grant don't sniff mudiays upside ( i love grant). his end to end speed and frame is a game changer, and his scoring upside. reminds me alot of d rose. if I was the GM i would take a hard look at him as my first overall selection, if a team is desperate for okafor i would trade out of the number1/2 slot, say if youre the knicks, and your starting pg is shane larkin.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#12 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Mik317 wrote:I don't think most people have seen enough at this point to rate him at all

I think this is most accurate. Chinese competition is not like playing in the ACB league. It might be below top tier Division 1. He's not Wall or Rose - doesn't have that athleticism. He's not CP3 - not cerebral. He's not Curry or Lilliard - deadly shooters. He's not Irving - ball on a string scorer. He's more Deron Williams too me. Big guard with some handles and decent vision. That's not bad.

But to really judge him against Dunn, Wright he needs to play against them or their equivalents and he does not. So it's hard to assess when we already seen what everyone has done against good competition. Even the Euros are playing against good competition.

Edit: I see a more polished George Lucas at this point.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#13 » by rumdiary » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:02 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:

Hype .

If stupid-claims came back to haunt people you'd be scared to death daily, haha.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#14 » by rumdiary » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 pm

It's very difficult to evaluate Mudiay's impact because the Chinese league is so different, but based entirely on what video-scouting (and highlight reels) show us he's capable of - he's a Top 4 talent, even if defence is a foreign concept to the Chinese league.

I think his skill, mentality and athleticism could make him an All Star but I don't think he will be as good as his contemporaries, who I would say are John Wall, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, since he's in that mold as a player. His shooting and vertical let him down, but his aggression, pass-first-mentality, tough upbringing and natural ability make him a solid pick.

Poor shooting is his biggest drawback. He shot 51% FG and 34% 3PT, but that's because China doesn't play defence - he's not a good shooter and that's betrayed by the fact he averages 57% from the free throw line.

He has a superb attacking mentality and gets to the basket nicely, he's pulled off a few highlight reel moves that remind me of Michael Jordan, but he's not Jordan obviously.

One thing to note is that, as a point guard, he averaged 6.3rpg, which was 4th best on Guangdong Tigers behind three seven-footers (Yi Jianlian, Jeff Adrien and Chris Daniels), but you don't draft point guards on their rebounding potential.

I think his heavy frame will see him operate below the level of Wall/Rose/Westbrook but that he will excel anyway.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,411

Post#15 » by JXL » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Underrated.

There's not much film on him outside of his 10 games with Guandong and the CBA Playoffs. Lots of international scouts had a look at him at an extensive scope, and they came with the feeling he can be a Westbrook type play with his mentality, Wall's speed and Jrue Hoilday's body of work.

While his jumper is partially broken, his defense is pretty darn good in spurts. He's a dark horse for the #1 pick.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 pm

Deron Williams? Mini Lebron James and Jordanesque moves to the rim. Yeah... He is definitely overrated.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#17 » by teerfour+40LG » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:07 am

Doesn't look quick enough to be an elite prospect, but still a high pick because he's a strong guard who can make plays for others and uses his long arms to get rebounds and steals. Too many turnovers to play point, but he can be part of a good passing team.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#18 » by AQuintus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:31 am

rumdiary wrote: behind three seven-footers (Yi Jianlian, Jeff Adrien and Chris Daniels)

Jeff Adrien is 6'7".
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#19 » by MinneOOPalis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:37 am

I basically ignore his time in China. He will be a great player simply on his physical tools and instincts for the game. Looking back at his high school all-star game highlights he was so explosive and fluid.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#20 » by tmorgan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:01 am

I get the hype, but I still think Mudiay is every bit as risky as Hezonja or Porzingis. If you don't get to see the guy play against other guys about to enter the league (at least recently), it's really hard to be sure.

Despite his shot, he could be awesome, because he can clearly pass and has a NBA body. That said, he could also be a guy that defenses sag off of so badly that he won't be able to run a decent offense. You need to be young Rondo quick to get away with a weak J in the NBA, and Mudiay isn't. He's also a lot bigger, though, so things might be different.

I'm naturally risk-averse in these types of choices, but I'd definitely take all of KAT, Okafor, Russell, and WInslow before Mudiay. Once those guys are gone, the potential is high enough to take the risk.

Return to NBA Draft