2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#781 » by Icness » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Twolf16 wrote:Will Vikings still seriously consider a wide receiver in the first round with Wallace now on the team? I would bet so, but they desperately need a LG or LT. Linebacker too.

They've got Wallace and Charles Johnson and still have Jennings. I don't see first round but maybe 3rd-5th, maybe a slot guy like Jamison Crowder or a reliable outside guy like Austin Hill or Tre McBride
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#782 » by Grover » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Icness wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:So, after the Combine you had the Giants taking Ereck Flowers. Just about every other mock has them in a coinflip between Scherff and Peat. The Giants could use young talent in just about every slot on the OL, so taking any of the three would make sense.

Anyway, I guess my question is: who has the biggest con/drawback of the three to make the Giants avoid taking them?

Oh, and could you see them moving down in the first to stockpile picks since OGs/OTs seems decently deep this year?

Good question!

Scherff is a guard and a guard only, I don't care what others say. That's too damn high to take a guard, even if he winds up being a very good one and I think he will.

Peat is wildly inconsistent. Some games he looks legit top 10, others he's slow and plays with zero passion. Nate Orchard wiped the field with Peat and that's a pretty ordinary athlete who gets by on being smarter and higher motor than the guy blocking him. I gave Peat (and Orchard) a 3rd round grade.

Flowers doesn't play with much strength. He's got it in his body but poor technique ruins it. He's a lunger and doesn't always move his feet in sync. Has some injury history too, nothing serious but one of those guys always battling one thing or another.

IMO both Peat and Flowers (and D.J. Humphries, not a fan) will all be available at 15 but probably not by 25 if they are looking to move back. The problem will be finding someone willing to move up for a specific player in a class where there is no real separation between the 15th best player and the 50th best player.

Jeff, in your St. Patrick's day draft you identified La'el Collins as a left tackle/guard. As you have previously identified Scherff as a left guard and Marpet appears to also be destined to the left side, who would you rate as the top road grading right guards even if they are tackles who need to move inside? I cringed when the Jets resigned Colon while Aboushi and Winters appear to have low ceilings and Dakota Dozier has yet to play a down. Thanks.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#783 » by Icness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Right guards:
1. Laken Tomlinson, Duke
2. Quinton Spain, West Virginia
3. John Miller, Louisville
4. Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech
5. Adam Shead, Oklahoma. Would be higher but he's got back issues

Don't give up on Dozier yet either.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#784 » by SpeedyG » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Jeff, with the lack of top FS in this class, do you hear any buzz (or perhaps you think yourself) of any CB prospects who could make that switch to play the role of a single-high FS?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Grover
Rookie

Post#785 » by Grover » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Icness wrote:Right guards:
1. Laken Tomlinson, Duke
2. Quinton Spain, West Virginia
3. John Miller, Louisville
4. Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech
5. Adam Shead, Oklahoma. Would be higher but he's got back issues

Don't give up on Dozier yet either.

Thanks Jeff. In addition to Amaro, I liked the Dozier pick and hope he can become a starter as soon as this season. I thought Gabe Watson was the obvious choice in the third over McDougle who might have been available much later. I'm not giving up on him either. Thanks again.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#786 » by Icness » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 am

SpeedyG wrote:Jeff, with the lack of top FS in this class, do you hear any buzz (or perhaps you think yourself) of any CB prospects who could make that switch to play the role of a single-high FS?

Lots of folks think Ifo Ekpre-Olomu will play safety, though he's small. I still love him as a nickel corner as long as his knee is fine.

I recently got onto Damarious Randall from Arizona State, who played both in college. Better safety than corner. Could be a very good safety, I gave him a 2nd round grade.

Eric Rowe is another guy who played safety but moved to corner as a senior. He's a top 30 talent for me and a personal favorite. Probably better at safety early on but he has the tools to be an elite corner.

Anthony Jefferson of UCLA is a good candidate.

There was a guy from Navy at the Shrine Game, Parrish Gaines, who has great size and has played both

Jacorey Shepherd from Kansas, more because he's lousy at CB
Justin Cox from Miss. St.
I haven't seen him yet but I know someone who is quite bullish on a thick corner from West Chester named Shabazz.
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#787 » by Shemy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:25 am

hello jeff

what can we expect from jets the first two days in the draft?? if mariota falls do the jets actually keep him or do they call Philly/CLE?

theirs been small rumblings of Hundley, second/third round would be too high for him surely?
"They scared now"
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#788 » by Icness » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Shemy wrote:hello jeff

what can we expect from jets the first two days in the draft?? if mariota falls do the jets actually keep him or do they call Philly/CLE?

theirs been small rumblings of Hundley, second/third round would be too high for him surely?

If the Jets want Hundley they'll have to use their 2nd on him, he's not lasting long unfortunately.

The owner was 100% correct when he said Mariota won't be any better than Geno in the near future. I won't try to read into his motivation in saying that, but he's right and most NFL people will nod their heads in agreement.

I do believe there could be a trade market. Bradford, #20 and a third rounder to move up?

I put a trade of Brees to the Jets in my last mock. What's funny is a Saints insider told me that while it's not something they have discussed he didn't think it was all that unrealistic. :swami:

I know the Jets have spent a great deal of time investigating all the top edge rushers and my inclination is they will go that way in the draft. Putting a flame thrower of a pass rusher behind that awesome front threesome and with that overhauled secondary would make that defense really, really impressive. I'll be surprised if one of the Day Two picks isn't a RB but I really don't see it in the 1st.
CU_NY09
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#789 » by CU_NY09 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:51 am

Icness wrote:
Shemy wrote:hello jeff

If the Jets want Hundley they'll have to use their 2nd on him, he's not lasting long unfortunately.

The owner was 100% correct when he said Mariota won't be any better than Geno in the near future. I won't try to read into his motivation in saying that, but he's right and most NFL people will nod their heads in agreement.

Previously, you were high on Mariota. Has your view of him turned negative, like the rest of the media?

One would assume that Geno was ahead of Mariota, in that he's played in the NFL for 2 years and Mariota, none. I don't think Geno is very good so to hear you/NFL people say that he won't be any better than Geno is alarming. I don't think they're similar players at all and IMO, Mariota was a much better prospect coming out of college than Geno. It's just odd to hear the media go from, "love him!" to "he's a 2nd round pick" or "Petty and Hundley are just as serviceable as Mariota".

Have you heard any rumblings of San Diego shopping Rivers?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#790 » by Icness » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:59 pm

On Mariota, it's more about NFL readiness. I still think he's going to be very, very good. But he's got a lot to prove in terms of reading defenses, throwing into tight windows, pocket awareness, etc. If he plays as a rookie it's not going to be as good as Carr or Teddy last year. Mariota is still a top 5 talent to me but I view that over time, not immediate impact. If the Jets--or any team--think Mariota is leading them to the playoffs as a rookie they're going to be bitterly disappointed. But in 16 and beyond, heck yeah he can be that guy.

On Rivers being traded, it's hot air until it happens. Negotiation tactics IMO.
Grover
Rookie

Post#791 » by Grover » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Jeff, how far does Gregory slip as a result of the drug test failure?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#792 » by Icness » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Grover wrote:Jeff, how far does Gregory slip as a result of the drug test failure?

Not nearly as far as his erratic display on the field merits. I still think he's a top 15 pick. He's not one of my top 75 players.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#793 » by SpeedyG » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Icness wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Jeff, with the lack of top FS in this class, do you hear any buzz (or perhaps you think yourself) of any CB prospects who could make that switch to play the role of a single-high FS?

Lots of folks think Ifo Ekpre-Olomu will play safety, though he's small. I still love him as a nickel corner as long as his knee is fine.

I recently got onto Damarious Randall from Arizona State, who played both in college. Better safety than corner. Could be a very good safety, I gave him a 2nd round grade.

Eric Rowe is another guy who played safety but moved to corner as a senior. He's a top 30 talent for me and a personal favorite. Probably better at safety early on but he has the tools to be an elite corner.

Anthony Jefferson of UCLA is a good candidate.

There was a guy from Navy at the Shrine Game, Parrish Gaines, who has great size and has played both

Jacorey Shepherd from Kansas, more because he's lousy at CB
Justin Cox from Miss. St.
I haven't seen him yet but I know someone who is quite bullish on a thick corner from West Chester named Shabazz.

Thanks man. I've been hearing about Randall more and more as a FS, but I didn't realize he's creeping up to 2nd round grade now.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#794 » by hermes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 pm

hey jeff, any vikings news/rumors?

how likely is it my man schreff falls to 11 and would the vikings consider taking him?
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#795 » by Twolf16 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:39 am

Jeff, who do you like more, Gurley or Gordon? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
aàaSzccevtdvpp
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#796 » by Icness » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:17 pm

hermes wrote:hey jeff, any vikings news/rumors?

how likely is it my man schreff falls to 11 and would the vikings consider taking him?

I hope you like Trae Waynes 8-)

They're looking at a lot of the mid-round RBs, guys like David Cobb, David Johnson, Jeremy Langford, T.J. Yeldon. I'd expect one of those guys too.

I think Scherff will be there at 11. I also think the Vikings would take Andrus Peat instead of him. Sorry bro
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#797 » by Icness » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Twolf16 wrote:Jeff, who do you like more, Gurley or Gordon? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
aàaSzccevtdvpp

I like a healthy Gurley more because he's more able to generate yardage on his own instead of capitalizing on great blocking. Gordon is more of a home-run hitter and better in the open field, but Gurley gets to the second level on his own accord better and that's what wins in the NFL. I do worry about Gurley's durability because even before the knee he missed time here and there with an ankle, a thigh.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/ ... may/nd6Wh/

People don't talk enough about those things. If I'm drafting I'm taking Gordon because Gordon for 16 games is better than Gurley for 11.5. Yet Gurley is more talented. Hope that makes sense.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#798 » by catalyst » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:16 pm

It does.

When will Gurley be ready this year? I have Gordon higher for Cowboys due to line and health.

I dont think either will be there by 27.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#799 » by Icness » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm

catalyst wrote:It does.

When will Gurley be ready this year? I have Gordon higher for Cowboys due to line and health.

I dont think either will be there by 27.

I get varying opinions on Gurley's availability. Some think he's surely going on PUP, others think he can be ready to roll in late Sept. (10 months from injury). It's very rare a player is more than about 90% until after 18 months though. Taking Gurley is taking him for '16-'19 realistically.

I agree neither will be there at 27. Gurley could go to Chicago at 7 or Miami at 14, really hard to see him falling past SD at 17 assuming they don't make the Rivers trade to move up to 2.

Gordon to Miami, Houston or Cleveland (with the Buffalo pick) are all things I've heard. Honestly I think Gordon is a major variable, could go to any of those or could sit there for New England at 32.

FWIW I strongly believe the Cowboys are going CB or O-Diggy at 27. Gil Brandt has basically said as much. He also hinted at a 3rd round RB and in the next segment on Sirius NFL Radio he talked up David Johnson as a 3rd round back he knows certain teams like in the 3rd. I'll read between those lines :D
Grover
Rookie

Post#800 » by Grover » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Since your on the topic of running backs I have been wondering about your pre combine positional rankings where you named six and mentioned David Johnson at #11. Do you update the positional rankings before your last mock? Thanks Jeff.

Return to NFL Draft