Chicago Fire Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: Chicago Fire Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Apr 7, 2015 7:48 pm

patagonia wrote:Been going to fire games for years. Last year they were awful - was the worst season I can remember. I thought some of these acquisitions would help us a bit but that has yet to be seen. What we need is new ownership and to get us out of Toyota Park and find somewhere to play closer to the city,

Has the team talked about moving closer to the city center? It would help the fan base immensely.
patagonia
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#22 » by patagonia » Tue Apr 7, 2015 8:35 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
patagonia wrote:Been going to fire games for years. Last year they were awful - was the worst season I can remember. I thought some of these acquisitions would help us a bit but that has yet to be seen. What we need is new ownership and to get us out of Toyota Park and find somewhere to play closer to the city,

Has the team talked about moving closer to the city center? It would help the fan base immensely.

There are rumors the teams is trying to get out of the lease but that seems unlikely unless bridgeview declares bankruptcy.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#23 » by TyrusRose2425 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:41 am

t-time wrote:Noticed the Fire don't really bring any big name players for Europe like the other clubs do. Is there a philosophy on this or do they just not have the cash?

I support the a-league and the competition is also angling towards getting good players from Europe at a good age rather than bringing in big name older players like Del Piero, Heskey, Yorke etc.

The Fire are just his investment. He'll sell when the league has fully expanded. It's such a shame because in the Peter Wilt days, we were consistently one of the best teams in MLS. Hristo Stoichkov(Ballon D'Or winner in the MLS because the DP rule!), Ante Razov, Damarcus Beasley, Zach Thornton, Piotr Nowak(best assist man in the Bundesliga the year before joining I think), Carlos Bocanegra,... Boy were we loaded.

I lost touch with the team when they moved to Bridgeview. I had been a season ticket holder, but my mom just couldn't do the hour long drives to games, on top of my weekly travel soccer games which were an hour away too. Now that I'm older, I finally decided to go to a game again last season. Ended up with season tickets this season just to see the other teams stars(which is a pretty sad indication based on the state of the current teams) because they were cheap($20 a month).

My thoughts on this team is that they are solid. I think they can make the playoffs. Joevin Jones is one hell of a left back and I'm pretty excited about Accam. They need another CB and a new coach. Unfortunately, ownership lacks enough ambition to be more than an average team.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#24 » by TyrusRose2425 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:48 am

patagonia wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

There are rumors the teams is trying to get out of the lease but that seems unlikely unless bridgeview declares bankruptcy.

Yeah doesn't sound like that will ever happen for the foreseeable future. Another new stadium would be great, but which MLS team has moved on to build their 2nd stadium? The location is just horrible. I need to drive every time to get to the game.

Once my friend and I tried to take public transportation to the game. You need to take the train to a special shuttle bus which takes you to the stadium. First off, my friend and I arrived at the train station 30 minutes before kick off. I guess that was the cut off time for shuttles because we waited 15 minutes just to find out they weren't running anymore today. The train stop was at Midway airport, so you figure it's easy to catch a cab, right? Nope. You can't call one because it is so close to the airport that you need to catch one there. Shouldn't be a problem, there are plenty of cabs. But then there's the issue that NO cab driver wants to take you because the drive is too short and they aren't going to make as much money off of you as they would with someone else going into the city. It took getting rejected by about 5 cabs till the people at the airport forced a driver to take us to our destination. Then when the game ended, they only had about 2 shuttles go back to the train station, so they made you wait 30 minutes inside before leaving. Since Bridgeview is in the suburbs, it is no longer CTA so your CTA card won't work and you better make sure you brought cash with you.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 am

Who starts for the Chicago Fire? The answer is not so easy these days

Competition for places is one of the key ingredients for getting the best out of players in any sport, and Frank Yallop is certainly employing that tactic with his revamped 2015 Chicago Fire roster.

Yallop’s 2014 squad in his first year at the helm of the Fire was undermined by a lack of starting quality beyond the best 14 or 15 players, but that lack of depth was something he addressed with purpose during the offseason: The Fire were one of the most active teams since the end of last season, bringing in 15 new players while parting ways with 18.

It’s led to intense competition throughout the squad this year for a place in Yallop’s starting plans. And that intensity has transferred into results, with the Fire now 2-3-0 and still above the red line in the Eastern Conference despite not playing the last two weekends heading into Friday's home match against New York City FC.

One example of that competition is veteran outside back Lovel Palmer, who started 29 of his 30 appearances last season, losing his place in the starting lineup following the immediate and impressive impact made by fullbacks Eric Gehrig and Joevin Jones – both of whom were offseason acquisitions.

“Everyone wants to be on the field,” Gehrig, 27, told MLSsoccer.com. “Obviously, there’s only 11 spots on the field, and that’s up to Frank, but competition is always good. It keeps you sharp as a player, keeps pushing you on and makes you want to get better and better and prove yourself to the gaffer that you’re the one that he should be picking.”

Palmer started the season-opening defeat to the LA Galaxy at right back, with Gehrig in the center. He then played the next three games at left back, with Gehrig on the right, before moving to the bench for the Fire’s 3-2 victory April 4 over Toronto FC last time out.

“It can only affect me in a positive way because as a professional it’s about being on the pitch and doing the right things to make the team win,” Palmer, 29, said about losing his place in the team. “The coach feels that it’s a better choice to leave me out, but he has his plans for me, he has his plans for the team.

“Whatever he thinks is best I just have to come out on the pitch every single day and work hard in practice hoping to get back in the starting line-up or whenever he calls on me. I know I’m ready to impact in a positive way.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... ght-lineup
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:01 am

CHICAGO FIRE vs NEW YORK CITY FC
TOYOTA PARK, Bridgeview, Ill.
April 24, 2015 (WEEK 8, MLS Game #66)
8 p.m. ET (UDN)

Game on!
patagonia
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#27 » by patagonia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:36 am

Sort of monitoring the game but wife wants to watch Amazing Race. Will catch the second half.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by LittleOzzy » Sat May 30, 2015 4:43 pm

CHICAGO FIRE vs MONTREAL IMPACT
May 30, 2015 (WEEK 13, MLS Game #130)
8:30 pm ET (MLS Live)

Can Chicago stay ahead of Montreal in the standings and get back into the playoff race? A win tonight would really help.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:27 pm

CHICAGO FIRE vs D.C. UNITED
June 24, 2015 (WEEK 17, MLS Game #165)
8:30 p.m. ET (MLS Live)

Chicago is well out of the Playoffs but a win tonight would be HUGE!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:45 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/atulkhosla/status/623499873980149760[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/atulkhosla/status/623500297621606401[/tweet]

Chicago looking to bring in Didier Drogba but Montreal is also interested.

Montreal Impact confirm negotiations with Didier Drogba

The Montreal Impact are engaged in talks with former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, the MLS franchise has confirmed.

Sources confirmed last week that several teams were in the mix to land Drogba, 37, with the Chicago Fire making the strongest push, and one source saying the Fire were prepared to offer Drogba an 18-month contract worth around $2.5 million per year.

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/2529380/didier-drogba-negotiations-confirmed-by-montreal-impact
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:17 am

Despite missing out on Didier Drogba, Chicago Fire say Gilberto signing a "great opportunity"

The Chicago Fire quickly moved to put the disappointment of missing out on Didier Drogba behind them by announcing the signing of Brazilian striker Gilberto and revealing more additions could be on the horizon.

With the announcement Monday that the Ivory Coast striker was on his way to the Montreal Impact on a sign-and-trade deal with the Fire, head coach Frank Yallop said the move allows the club to strengthen multiple areas. The Fire received general and targeted allocation money for Drogba, allowing them to claim the former Toronto FC man off waivers as the team’s third Designated Player by buying down Kennedy Igboananike’s DP contract with funds acquired in the deal.

“I just move on,” Yallop told reporters on his weekly conference call. “Yeah, it was disappointing, I’d love to have ‘Double D’ playing for us, but it wasn’t to be and we move on. We picked up a great player in Gilberto, so in the process we’ve come out of it well. I don’t like to talk about what might be; it’s about what’s going to happen.

“We just move on and get ready for what’s coming in.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/27/despite-missing-out-didier-drogba-chicago-fire-say-gilberto-signing-great-op
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#32 » by Spens1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:13 am

ok i'm confused, so how do you win the rights to a player. does it go centrally through the MLS or something when you sign, so do you sign with the MLS and not the club, and then you get assigned a team? i would have thought if you had the cap, you can sign the player. So if Montreal had the cap or had a DP spot available, they could have signed him straight up
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:37 am

Spens1 wrote:ok i'm confused, so how do you win the rights to a player. does it go centrally through the MLS or something when you sign, so do you sign with the MLS and not the club, and then you get assigned a team? i would have thought if you had the cap, you can sign the player. So if Montreal had the cap or had a DP spot available, they could have signed him straight up

All players are signed by MLS, not the club.

It's a confusing system. In this case Chicago owned his "Discovery" Rights so they had to be given the first shot at signing him, and earned some compensation if they player wished to sign elsewhere (Montreal). I hope in the future as the league grows they get rid of this rule. Players should be given the right to sign for whichever team they choose.

Teams can add up to 10 "Discovery" players each season.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#34 » by Spens1 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:16 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Spens1 wrote:ok i'm confused, so how do you win the rights to a player. does it go centrally through the MLS or something when you sign, so do you sign with the MLS and not the club, and then you get assigned a team? i would have thought if you had the cap, you can sign the player. So if Montreal had the cap or had a DP spot available, they could have signed him straight up

All players are signed by MLS, not the club.

It's a confusing system. In this case Chicago owned his "Discovery" Rights so they had to be given the first shot at signing him, and earned some compensation if they player wished to sign elsewhere (Montreal). I hope in the future as the league grows they get rid of this rule. Players should be given the right to sign for whichever team they choose.

Teams can add up to 10 "Discovery" players each season.

thanks, that at least explains it

seems like a rather stupid thing that discovery rights

a player should be able to go wherever they want provided that team has a DP spot or the cap for that player.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,093

Post#35 » by magik9113 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 am

Philadelphia finally got a third past Sean Johnson in the 89th min. Was rooting for Chicago after watching his heroics. Great keeper
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by magik9113 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:03 am

3-3 !!!!!!!! Fantastic game!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:06 am

magik9113 wrote:3-3 !!!!!!!! Fantastic game!

For two terrible teams this has been an exciting match.
DaRev
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#38 » by DaRev » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:27 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
magik9113 wrote:3-3 !!!!!!!! Fantastic game!

For two terrible teams this has been an exciting match.

Crazy end to the game that's for sure
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by magik9113 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 pm

I didn't expect to be entertained by the two worst teams in the league but the ending made it worth the watch
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:49 pm

CHICAGO FIRE vs. COLORADO RAPIDS
August 22, 2015 (WEEK 25, MLS Game #252)
8:30 p.m. ET (MLS LIVE)

The battle of last placed teams!

Return to Major League Soccer