Falcons and the 2015 draft

Moderator: HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Falcons and the 2015 draft 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:42 am

Needs: Sacks, Sacks, and Sacks

Everybody already knows the Falcons' most glaring need. Their might be a couple of elite edge rushers when the birds pick, but i think the Falcons should go ahead and take Randy Gregory in the first round and Shane Ray in the second round

Gregory was suppose to be a top 5 pick but personal issue have pushed him as a low first round pick or second round pick. But i have already learned not to care about personal issues that are non-violent, just look at Justin Houston and Randy Moss. RG not only has the tools you want in an edge rusher, but he was also very productive in college. Its very rare to have a sure thing in an NFL draft. bust happen all the time and Gregory could be a bust or 100 career sack guy, but if things work out, Gregory could be another Jevon Kearse or Simion Rice

Shane Ray is also another guy who was suppose to be a first round pick, but now some mock drafts have him in the second or third round. The biggest concern about Ray is his length or short arms, but i really don't care about that, because when i watch his game film, he looks like Derrick Thomas or Justin Houston to me. He has elite speed, burst, quickness, he has a good low center of gravity, and he has great technique in getting angles and chase downs. Just like Justin Houston, he could be a 3rd round pro bowler that the Hawks should take in the 2nd round.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Re: Falcons and the 2015 draft 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 pm

I do not believe a pass rusher alone fixes this team. We are awful. With our season on the line and our coach's job in the balance...we collapsed. Scoring 3 points and allowing 30.

We need help everywhere.

I say go Best Player Available or trade back for picks.

My hope is we get Todd Gurley who has the chance to be one of the best players in the league in a couple of years.

At this point, we can no longer draft with next season in mind, but instead drafting with long term goal of acquiring top talent across the board.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Fri May 1, 2015 2:17 am

We selected Vic Beasley with the #8th overall pick. How are yall feeling about that one? Personally I think Leonard Williams was our best option and he was so close to falling in our laps. He went #6th to the jets.

I don't see why we couldn't have traded up from 8 to 6. The jets were heavily rumored to be interested in Kevin White as thier first priority anyways who would have been available at #8 for the jets.

I just hope Vic Beasley turns out for us when it's all said and done.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Fri May 1, 2015 4:34 am

Beasley is the best 3rd down pass rusher in the draft and has one of the best first steps, this is a great pick and I was hoping that he'd fall to us. I didn't really have any hope for Williams falling to 8, I knew that if the Jets wouldn't get him the Bears probably weren't gonna pass him up.

2nd round is looking very good: Denzel Perryman, Landon Collins, Randy Gregory, Maxx Williams, hopefully one of those guys fall in our lap at 42.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri May 1, 2015 7:13 am

I'm good with Beas. Honestly, i have Beasley, Gregory, Ray, Fowler, and Bud all about the same, with Leonard above them.

Beas, Fowler, and Leonard were all projected to be selected in the top 7, out of the reach of the Falcons. So i was expected it to be Ray or Gregory, so Beas ended up slipping to the Falcons, which ended up being great because it puts alot of great prospects available in day two.

Gregory is the elephant in the room for the Falcons. Randy is just sitting their and i'm not sure if anybody wants to talk about him, even though everybody wants to talk about him. Will he last long enough for the Falcons to take him in the second round? Is his weight an issue? is his off the field problems an issue? is he dedicated? is he a legit NFL talent?

For me, i'm taking Gregory, and if you have any questions about his off the field issues in college, then just refer to Justin Houston's history.

If the Falcons end up getting both Beasley and Gregory, i can easily imagine every sports writer giving a grade of +A to the Falcons the next day.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri May 1, 2015 7:27 am

PMOTT3 wrote:We selected Vic Beasley with the #8th overall pick. How are yall feeling about that one? Personally I think Leonard Williams was our best option and he was so close to falling in our laps. He went #6th to the jets.

I don't see why we couldn't have traded up from 8 to 6. The jets were heavily rumored to be interested in Kevin White as thier first priority anyways who would have been available at #8 for the jets.

Their is no way the Falcons could get Leonard. Leonard was projected to go #2, #3, or #4. He not only doesn't go in the top 4, but Washington shocks everybody and selects Scherff #5 (every mock draft had the Skins drafting defense, either Beasley or Fowler). And Scherff is not even considered a top ten prospect even though he is the best OL in the draft.

When Scherff was selected, The Jets were basically high fiveing themselves in their war room when Leonard just fell to them. And Falcons couldn't do a Washington trade because crazy picks like that, teams won't trade.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 1, 2015 2:45 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:We selected Vic Beasley with the #8th overall pick. How are yall feeling about that one?

I don't think it's a bad move. I'd have preferred to see us trade back and maybe pick up an extra 3rd rounder or better. Seeing Bud Dupree fall to the 20s and seeing Gregory fall out of the first round altogether. I just don't think Beasley is drastically better than either of those guys. And we could have gotten either (or both?) of the other guys had we waited and picked in the 20s.

I really suspect we'll look back in a few years and wonder how the heck we let Gurley get past us. he's just that talented.

PMOTT3 wrote:Personally I think Leonard Williams was our best option and he was so close to falling in our laps. He went #6th to the jets. I don't see why we couldn't have traded up from 8 to 6. The jets were heavily rumored to be interested in Kevin White as thier first priority anyways who would have been available at #8 for the jets.

The cost would have been too much considering how many holes we have on this team.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat May 2, 2015 12:51 am

Crap another cornerback?!?! I am a fan of Jalen Collins, but he is not the position i would have drafted.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ATL Boy » Sat May 2, 2015 4:33 am

Dimitroff's hit the nail on the head in the first three rounds so far.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Mon May 4, 2015 12:01 am

I liked our first three picks as well.
I just hope some of the other guys end up being successful.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Mon May 4, 2015 12:03 am

Five Things to Know About Vic Beasley

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... 29453c9232
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ATL Boy » Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 am

Grady Jarrett was a steal. 5th rounder with a 2nd round projection. Also, he's Jessie Tuggle's son. Tuggle got to announce the pick at the college football HOF, what a moment that must have been for him.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Jarrett is likely the best Falcon player from this draft five years from now. Here's hoping Beasley adapts better than I suspect he will.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 am

I'm excited about Beas and Grady. Beas has already proven he can add weight and still have elite speed.

Grady could be a good pick up. He has great power and a low center of gravity. Maybe he can do the same things that Geno Atkins is doing in Cincinnati.

Probably the most interested in Akeem King. He has a first round body and speed that the Falcons got on the 7th, that nobody knows about. I think we could see him alot in special teams. I wouldn't be surprised we hear his name on alot of big hits on punts and kick offs.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 4, 2015 10:02 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
PMOTT3 wrote:We selected Vic Beasley with the #8th overall pick. How are yall feeling about that one?

I really suspect we'll look back in a few years and wonder how the heck we let Gurley get past us. he's just that talented.

Gurley is looking like the possible best offensive player in the league as a rookie.

Terribly disappointed we didn't pick him up.

Gurley + Devonte = dominance

And at worst, one of them would make great trade bait.

Beasley's early returns have been minimal...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

I can only imagine how good this team would have been had we gone ahead and selected Gurley in the first round a couple drafts back.

Gurley, Devonta Freeman and Julio Jones would be an embarrassment of riches on offense.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm

NFL draft do-overs: Let's re-pick ... and fix mistakes for all 32 teams

ESPN
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:39 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
NFL draft do-overs: Let's re-pick ... and fix mistakes for all 32 teams

ESPN
So true!
VB possibly won't be a Falcon after this season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Falcons