Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#41 » by cedric76 » Thu May 7, 2015 7:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Chad Ford is saying that he now runs like a normal player and his legs+hips r not a concern

That put him in the top 6 if it s true

When did Chad Ford say that? In a chat? Here is what is listed in his draft profile:

Positives

Long, athletic big man
Good shooter with three point range
Good speed for a player his size
Soft hands around the basket
Good short to mid-range game
Good passer out of double-teams
High basketball IQ and feel for the game
Excellent shot blocker

Negatives

Needs to add strength and toughness
Not an elite rebounder yet
Not an aggressive scorer
Runs funny, concerns about the long-term health of his knees

His latest chat
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Re: Myles Turner 

Post#42 » by skones » Thu May 7, 2015 8:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:I don't know about the Hibbert comp. Turner's got a lot of different ways to score - inside and out. Unless he's changed, Hibbs is strictly a low post scorer with a lot more power and much more of a presence on defense. Turner's a nice shot-blocker, but there's more to defense.

I'm not sure when the last time you watched Hibbert play with a level of consistency was, but that flat out isn't the case anymore. 41% of his attempted shots this past season were from 10 feet our or more. That's a number that has been steadily increasing over the past 3 or four seasons. A miniscule 19% of his looks this season came at the rim.

Turner has always been known as a high Bball IQ guy and despite his slow feet laterally, committed far fewer fouls per minute than a guy like Towns. He certainly needs seasoning as he's very young, but I think he's going to be far more than "just a shotblocker" when he does.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Thu May 7, 2015 9:23 pm

skones wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I don't know about the Hibbert comp. Turner's got a lot of different ways to score - inside and out. Unless he's changed, Hibbs is strictly a low post scorer with a lot more power and much more of a presence on defense. Turner's a nice shot-blocker, but there's more to defense.

I'm not sure when the last time you watched Hibbert play with a level of consistency was, but that flat out isn't the case anymore. 41% of his attempted shots this past season were from 10 feet our or more. That's a number that has been steadily increasing over the past 3 or four seasons. A miniscule 19% of his looks this season came at the rim.

Turner has always been known as a high Bball IQ guy and despite his slow feet laterally, committed far fewer fouls per minute than a guy like Towns. He certainly needs seasoning as he's very young, but I think he's going to be far more than "just a shotblocker" when he does.

Half-true - I haven't seen Hibbert since last year's playoffs. Still, looking at his shooting stats, he made all of 106 shots outside of 9 feet all season - playing 76 games. Generally speaking, he's not a legit threat outside of the paint, and defenses will let him take mid-range shots all game long. Don't get me wrong on Turner - I am a fan of his - which is why I compared him to LMA. But Hibbert's a power player, and Turner is more a finesse skill player with more scoring potential who needs to get tougher as well as stronger. And because he's so young, anything's possible.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#44 » by Slartibartfast » Thu May 7, 2015 10:58 pm

Fischella wrote:Turner cant play PF, his mobility is awful, he is clearly a C, like someone said before, he is LaFrentz

LaFrentz is a solid comp - right down to the knee concerns.

You'd think he'd be valued higher though. When he was still healthy, LaFrentz was a prized asset.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,006

Re: Re: 

Post#45 » by JDR720 » Fri May 8, 2015 2:08 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Chad Ford is saying that he now runs like a normal player and his legs+hips r not a concern

That put him in the top 6 if it s true

When did Chad Ford say that? In a chat? Here is what is listed in his draft profile:

Positives

Long, athletic big man
Good shooter with three point range
Good speed for a player his size
Soft hands around the basket
Good short to mid-range game
Good passer out of double-teams
High basketball IQ and feel for the game
Excellent shot blocker

Negatives

Needs to add strength and toughness
Not an elite rebounder yet
Not an aggressive scorer
Runs funny, concerns about the long-term health of his knees

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... -chad-ford

Saw you have Myles Turner going to Sacramento at 6 in your A+ article. Do you see Turner rising up draft boards to that level? I always viewed Turner as a tier below where the 6th pick is with the Kings taking whatever is left of WCS, Porzingis, Winslow, or Hezonja.
Chad Ford (1:05 PM)

He was the No. 2 ranked high school player in the country. Being misused at Texas combined with the weird way he runs gave everyone pause. But if you look at him via analytics, he was one of the top 5 players in the draft. And I keep hearing two things out of Vegas where he's working out. One, his knees are fine and will pass the medical work being done in Chicago. Two, he got with a running coach and is running like a normal basketball player again. You take those two things off the table and suddenly he's a Top 5/6 prospect with NBA size, length, great rim protector and very good shooter. He's far ahead of where Willie Cauley-Stein was as a freshman.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Re: Re: 

Post#46 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 8, 2015 2:12 am

JDR720 wrote:
Saw you have Myles Turner going to Sacramento at 6 in your A+ article. Do you see Turner rising up draft boards to that level? I always viewed Turner as a tier below where the 6th pick is with the Kings taking whatever is left of WCS, Porzingis, Winslow, or Hezonja.
Chad Ford (1:05 PM)

He was the No. 2 ranked high school player in the country. Being misused at Texas combined with the weird way he runs gave everyone pause. But if you look at him via analytics, he was one of the top 5 players in the draft. And I keep hearing two things out of Vegas where he's working out. One, his knees are fine and will pass the medical work being done in Chicago. Two, he got with a running coach and is running like a normal basketball player again. You take those two things off the table and suddenly he's a Top 5/6 prospect with NBA size, length, great rim protector and very good shooter. He's far ahead of where Willie Cauley-Stein was as a freshman.

A running coach? WTF?

Well damn if he is moving up...was hoping he would drop to the Suns.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#47 » by cedric76 » Fri May 8, 2015 6:32 am

Texas' Myles Turner Could Be the Biggest Risk-Reward Pick of 2015 NBA Draft | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1F2QG3X
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,491

Post#48 » by LofJ » Fri May 8, 2015 11:20 am

I knew it was only a matter of time before Turner's stock started to rise. His stats this past year are too good to be ignored.
cedric76
RealGM

Re: Re: Myles Turner 

Post#49 » by cedric76 » Fri May 8, 2015 11:51 am

LofJ wrote:I knew it was only a matter of time before Turner's stock started to rise. His stats this past year are too good to be ignored.

Good score in the agility lane and other combine and his stock will skyrocket.
Orlando should go after him depending on results and health test
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#50 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri May 8, 2015 11:45 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote: His ceiling could be a valuable #2 on a good team who makes a few all star appearances. 20/10 and 2blocks (Rasheed)
His middle could be a solid starter or 5th option on any team. 15/8 and 1.8blocks (Gortat

Not sure about those comparisons, seems like you're setting the bar too high. Scoring was always easy for Sheed, he had nice post moves and a great turnaround and he was great on putbacks. He was a great overall talent. Even with that, his best season ever was 19/8 with <2 blocks.

15/8 as an above average starter isn't anyone's middle unless they're a great prospect. Those are Marc Gasol and Al Horford numbers; Gortat is a better player than Turner figures to be and he's a 12/9 player now (only come close to 15 ppg once). It took D Favors--a better prospect than Turner--5-6 seasons to get to those numbers.

To me, Turner's middle is a back-up who can do some things well but isn't good enough to start on a decent team. Someone at the level of M Speights or JJ Hickson (though I'm not comparing them as layers). Obviously anyone that drafts him won't be thrilled with that outcome, but few guys who gets drafted outside the top 3 can realistically expect to be an above average starter. Just the way the draft works.

At age 18

Rasheed 9.5ppg, 6.6rpg, 61 blocks, 21.0 minutes per game

Turner 10.1ppg, 6.5rpg, 90 blocks, 22.1 minutes per game

Rasheed did not have post moves or turnaround at age 18.

prime Gortat in PHX before his injuries averged 15ppg, so i don't know what you are talking about 12???
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#51 » by kennydorglas » Sat May 9, 2015 12:31 am

Damn, It was just a matter of time for him to movin' up. He's too good to be a 12~14 pick.

:(
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Myles Turner 

Post#52 » by californiadude » Sat May 9, 2015 1:08 am

Yeah looks like my favorite bargain of the draft is no longer a bargain.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#53 » by guille_4 » Sat May 9, 2015 12:51 pm

I haven't seen him play but with the reviews he had coming out of HS, his measurements, his shot blocking + 3PT shooting and his stats in the past year, it was very surprising he was only considered 13-15.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,122

Post#54 » by dolphinatik » Sat May 9, 2015 3:13 pm

this is a sad day. was hoping he would fly under the radar and fall to the Heat at 10 :)
Anyway it all depends on fit with this guy. I believe he was coasting at Texas and similar to Rivers, higly touted has talent but will look like a bust if drafted into the wrong situation. If he is willing to work hard he has the tools to be one of the top 5 pics in this draft once its all said and done.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Bodie Broadus
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#55 » by Bodie Broadus » Sat May 9, 2015 4:18 pm

Yeah I totally figured he'd start to rise, great skillset. Heat could end up with Stanley Johnson at 10, wouldn't that be just as good?
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#56 » by EMG518 » Sat May 9, 2015 5:17 pm

If looking for upside I would definitely go with Christian Wood over him. Wood is only 6 months older.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#57 » by HotelVitale » Sat May 9, 2015 10:40 pm

No need to be defensive, just trying to make constructive additions to adjust expectations for Turner.

atlantabbq99 wrote: Rasheed did not have post moves or turnaround at age 18.

He was MUCH more fluid than Turner, and it's not close. Rasheed was a great great prospect, somewhere between Okafor and Mudiay right now. Elite size and skills--he actually underachieved quite a bit relative to potential. I like Turner as a prospect but it doesn't capture him at all to quote his and Sheed's stats side by side. They're simply not the same type or caliber of prospect.

atlantabbq99 wrote:prime Gortat in PHX before his injuries averged 15ppg, so i don't know what you are talking about 12???

Sure, Gortat once averaged 15 pts per game playing with Nash in one of the most stat-inflating teams of all time. The rest of his career as a starter, he's averaged between 11-13 pts per game with 1.4 blocks. This year he's at 12.2 ppg in 30 minutes per game. That matters because centers who average 15+ ppg are fairly rare: there was only like 6 this year, and they were all-star caliber guys. 12/8, on the other hand, is pretty mediocre production for a starting 5, about what Jordan Hill gives you. Saying that you fully expect Turner to be a 15/8 guy means you're pretty sure he'll be int he conversation for an all-star game or two; that's a much different expectation than 'he'll likely be as good as Jordan Hill.'
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#58 » by LloydFree » Sat May 9, 2015 11:32 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Rasheed 9.5ppg, 6.6rpg, 61 blocks, 21.0 minutes per game.

Rasheed had post moves in HS. Rasheed Wallace was the #1 player in the GD country. Turner is, in no way shape or form, on his level as a prospect.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
cedric76
RealGM

Post#59 » by cedric76 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:16 am

LloydFree wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
Rasheed 9.5ppg, 6.6rpg, 61 blocks, 21.0 minutes per game.

Rasheed had post moves in HS. Rasheed Wallace was the #1 player in the GD country. Turner is, in no way shape or form, on his level as a prospect.

Turner was ranked 2nd last year
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#60 » by HotelVitale » Sun May 10, 2015 7:41 am

cedric76 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Rasheed 9.5ppg, 6.6rpg, 61 blocks, 21.0 minutes per game.

Turner was ranked 2nd last year

ESPN, which is famous for wacky HS rankings, is the only site that had him top 5 (they also had K-AT 9th, for instance). Everywhere else Turner was like 6-10.

Return to NBA Draft