Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Jarell Martin 

Post#1 » by Big Jaffa » Thu May 7, 2015 12:24 pm

So let's talk about this guy.

A lot of mocks are projecting him as a late first but it seems like a bit of a gamble to me personally.

Measurables: I think we'll have to wait until the combine, some claim he is undersized and ok wingspan, others that he is tall enough but has t-rex arms.

The positives:
- Quick off his feet and on the ground
- Has the potential to be a good face up threat, quick, flashes of a jumpshot. Shows a bit of potential in the post now and then.
- Decent passer
- Solid dribble

The negatives:
- Does not project to be a plus defender, regardless of how he measures out, he just doesn't have the instinct of a shot blocker nor does he have the obvious length to make up for it, even for the college level. He's real quick side to side, so there is some potential on the pick and roll but he doesn't really make an obvious impact on this end as much as you'd hope. The effort isn't there every time.
- While he shows potential in many aspects of the offensive game, he just doesn't do one thing at an elite level
- Jump shot is unproven
- Isn't consistent from the post
- So so rebounding

In terms of NBA comparisons I guess the obvious one is Paul Milsap in terms of play style, a multi skilled undersize 4. I guess that's what teams who draft him will be hoping for, a guy that puts it all together.

However, from memory Millsap was an extremely hardworker, and very aggressive on the court. He bulldozed guys, he went hard at the rim every time, rebounded very hard.

I just don't see it. Mid second round? Sure, take a gamble, let him play overseas for a while and hope he puts it all together. But there are better guys like Richaun Holmes (potential pf 3 n d) or even Jarrell's team mate Jordan Mickey (longer, as athletic shot blocker with surprisingly decent mid range spot up) to take a gamble on.
Rip City
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Jarell Martin 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Thu May 7, 2015 1:22 pm

Great post - since I pretty much agree. I'd also rather have Mickey - even though most mocks have Martin going long before him. That lack of length is a limiting factor that Millsap didn't have, and Millsap had tremendous college stats. I think Martin can be a solid NBA player - as a scorer off the bench, but his upside is very low.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#3 » by Gilles » Thu May 7, 2015 2:07 pm

He doesn't play long, and his effort defensively is fluctuating, so Martin will be a project for some time. Teams will have to gauge his work ethic and desire to improve. If he measures at 8'9", which I really doubt, he might get some buzz as "Draymond Green type", even though Green spent 4 seasons under Izzo and worked on his body a lot, so that would be 2-3 year project at least.
Otherwise is he any better than Anthony Bennett?
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#4 » by EMG518 » Thu May 7, 2015 3:44 pm

I like him, I dont see him as a starter because of his defensive abilities but I could definitely see him in a rotation and providing offense off the bench. I think he has a good motor, fairly skilled, could round them out a bit but the thing I think people gloss over is how athletic he is for his size. He is really athletic.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#5 » by TyCobb » Sat May 9, 2015 3:06 am

Mickey is a D-League talent. Long but no offensive game. Meanwhile, Martin can score, rebound, is fearless, and shows good basketball IQ. He'll be much more reliable on a nightly basis.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#6 » by Big Jaffa » Sat May 9, 2015 4:16 am

TyCobb wrote:Mickey is a D-League talent. Long but no offensive game. Meanwhile, Martin can score, rebound, is fearless, and shows good basketball IQ. He'll be much more reliable on a nightly basis.

Mickey has shown potential as a mid range spot up shooter shooting 46% on long jump shots which is very respectable but then he's also mocked up as a mid 2nd round guy, no one is suggesting taking him in the late first. But let's concentrate on Martin.

All stats will be sourced from the DX database, per 40 pace adjusted as well as by position and limited to the top 100 prospects listed.

Rebounding - 3.1 OREB/6.5 DREB, 9.6 TOT Reb good for the lower half of power forwards that have a shot at being drafted. So at best he is an average rebounder. This is partly due to his physical make up, while he is bulky, he is also short. Further, his effort is not always there.

In terms of comparable players and their college stats, I compared him to players that had a somewhat similar skillset and were undersized, Millsap, JJ Hickson, Markieff Morris, Anthony Bennett and Terrence Jones.

The only which came close was Terrance Jones with 9.8 per 40 pa. A player which shared the floor with above average rebounders (MKG, Davis).

The other players which I found similar in playstyle were well above Martin's rebounding numbers, with the next one up being 11.5.

Scoring - His efficiency is solid, posting a true shooting percentage of 57%. largely due to his ability to draw fouls (6.6 fta p40 pa) which compared to the above players listed is solid, but not spectacular. This is a good reflection of his quickness, and explosiveness as well as his solid ball handling skills as evidenced by a good finish rate of 59% at the rim.

He showed good versatility with his offensive game, but a lot of that was not on very good efficiency:
- Post ups: 0.65 PP
- Catch and Shoot Jumpers: 0.8 PP

With his strength, there is no way he should be putting up such bad post up numbers at the college level. From what I've seen, he doesn't really have the best technique or foot work, and relies on purely bullying smaller players. The thing is, that will not translate in most cases in the NBA.

His jumper is also pretty low efficiency, he's got a low release, and almost seems to twist it to his left in front of his face before the stroke. FT% is below 70%. Still, it is fixable.

BBIQ This one is always up for debate, where someone sees a 4 dribble down the court and make an obvious pass they might see this is as BBIQ. But I see too much iso, too many off balance jumpers, not the best turnover rate. Not to mention the other side of BBIQ, the defensive end where it is a history of no box outs, no rotations, no understanding of team defense.

I can understand why some see a nice prospect in the guy, but to me he is someone you take a flyer in mid 2nd round.

I have concerns whether his scoring game will translate, I don't believe he will be much of a post up threat unless he can fix his technique, and even then with his lack of length he will always be at a disadvantage (other undersize post guys like Milsap, Z-Bo are really long and far more aggressive). This will limit him to be a face up threat, however NBA defenses will just sag off and dare him to shoot low efficiency jumpers which based on his history in LSU, he'll take. Or they'll go small on him and dare him to make them pay in the low post.

Then we get to the other side of the floor, where he is a disaster which further limits his ability to get minutes.

Martin is a low floor, low upside pick.
Rip City
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,508

Post#7 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 9, 2015 9:02 am

Millsap lead the nation in rebounding in college and immediately came into the league rebounding the hell out of the ball, regardless of his lack of size. Those LSU bigs, it's really hard to say. I think they're upside is Jeff Ayres, fringe NBA guys.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by No-Man » Sat May 9, 2015 9:16 am

Mickey is going to be a player, Taj Gibson-lite, if he doesnt go in the 1st he will be a major steal, he should be picked in the 20-25 range, he is a better prospect than Harrell.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#9 » by LloydFree » Sat May 9, 2015 2:15 pm

I like Jarell Martin. I normally don't like players with that tweener size, that lack length. But I liked that he wasnt intimidated by size. He scored over Caulie-Stein and Towns with no problem. Without looking at the numbers, he seemed to play better against NBA size than Bobby Portis when I saw them. I think Jarell Martin can carve out a Jared Dudley type career in the NBA, which is good for a late 1st round pick.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Pass it
Rookie
And1: 883

Post#10 » by Pass it » Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 am

Fischella wrote:Mickey is going to be a player, Taj Gibson-lite, if he doesnt go in the 1st he will be a major steal, he should be picked in the 20-25 range, he is a better prospect than Harrell.

Does Mickey have more upside than Cliff
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Pass it wrote:
Fischella wrote:Mickey is going to be a player, Taj Gibson-lite, if he doesnt go in the 1st he will be a major steal, he should be picked in the 20-25 range, he is a better prospect than Harrell.

Does Mickey have more upside than Cliff

I'm a Mickey fan, but I'd say no. Cliff's got the length plus the muscle. That'll give him the versatility to play center. It might take him longer to make an impact, but Alexander has more potential.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#12 » by BRIGGS » Sun May 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Martin should be much better than people think.

A. He is VERY athletic and agile for 6-9 245

B. He is a burgeoning shooter who can play in and out. Near perfect for a mobile 4.

C He can handle the ball well for his size

D While he isnt long he plays good solid 1-1 D

E He gets his body up there and is a rim level rebounder--will be solid in that area.

This is a guy who people just miss all together. People are so hung up on some new aged stats that they miss that this guy is just flat out a good player.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time

Return to NBA Draft