Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Sports Geek
Junior
And1: 103

Luka Doncic 

Post#1 » by Sports Geek » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Hey!! I know maybe it's too early to talk about Luka Doncic, but everytime I watch him play, I see a professional already. And he is only 15.

Profile:

Luka Doncic
Team: Real Madrid B team (younger team)
Height: 6' 5"
Position: combo guard.

This kid is amazing. He is playing in the EBA league. A semiprofessional league in Spain where young talents and really veteran players mixed up. I love to watch kids like this playing at early stages of their development and the only two I could compare to Doncic in terms of talent are Ricky Rubio and Nikola Mirotic.

He is incredibly athletic for a kid that age, a great shooter, great ball handler, great passer, can defend,... He is a diamond. I think he could play minutes in the ACB league already like Rubio did. Luckily for him, he is playing for Real Madrid, the top team in the league and he will have a regular development by not playing professional too early.

Here you have a link to a video of the Hospitalet tournament (the most important U18 tournament in the world) where he was the MVP of the final. He was playing 18 y.o. kids but still he dominated them.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9_lnYzAMI[/youtube]
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Luka Doncic 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 pm

i dont see "incredibly athletic" even for someone that age, but mentally and skill-wise he pretty much has everything that you'd want a kid that age to have.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#3 » by Sports Geek » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:13 am

Here you have another video. He was 14 y.o. back then. In this game (the final of the Emporio Armani EA7 Under17 Tournament) he signed 36 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 6 steals and 8 of 10 three pointers for a total of 65 efficiency points. Monster game.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKqttZy3GQ[/youtube]
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#4 » by mattg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:40 am

ManualRam wrote:i dont see "incredibly athletic" even for someone that age, but mentally and skill-wise he pretty much has everything that you'd want a kid that age to have.

Yeah it's hard to judge off one video, but he looks slow and not particularly explosive, but is able to use his size to help himself get where he wants against this level of comp. the defenders have no issue staying in front of him in ISO situations because his first step and overall quickness isn't good, but with a pick or if he can get an angle so he can get his shoulder past he can penetrate. Still so young though, gotta see how develops both skill wise and physically over the next few years.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#5 » by Sports Geek » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:52 am

mattg wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i dont see "incredibly athletic" even for someone that age, but mentally and skill-wise he pretty much has everything that you'd want a kid that age to have.

Yeah it's hard to judge off one video, but he looks slow and not particularly explosive, but is able to use his size to help himself get where he wants against this level of comp. the defenders have no issue staying in front of him in ISO situations because his first step and overall quickness isn't good, but with a pick or if he can get an angle so he can get his shoulder past he can penetrate. Still so young though, gotta see how develops both skill wise and physically over the next few years.

Well, take into account that the defenders are 3 years older (that's a lot when you are 14/15 y.o.) and they (the guys in the 2 videos) are European elite players playing for F.C. Barcelona and Montepaschi Siena (both top Euroleague teams) younger teams (they sign the best young players in Europe to play with them) so this is not regular high school level. Most of them play for their National teams.

Of course his first step isn't too quick but, man, he is 15 (he is not able to grow a beard but he can dunk as a professional :lol: ) and 6' 5" when the season started. Maybe he is 6' 6" by now. He is not working on that yet, very light weight lifting load on this stage of development, at least here in Europe. I have seen Rubio at the age of 15, and trust me, he wasn't able to dunk like that even in the warm-ups.

Plus his father was a pro player and a member of the Slovenian National team. His genetics are really good.

I think he will have his first minutes in the ACB league next season, garbage minutes, but minutes after all...
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#6 » by sisibilio » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm

He's not a superb athlete but neither lacking in any particular aspect, solid at least.
On the other hand i've never seen a kid that age with such dominance of the whole game, it's like watching a teen Larry Bird.

BTW i wouldn't be surprised if he had some minutes in the ACB or euroleague this season. He's been the best player in the 2nd team since day 1.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#7 » by Sports Geek » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am

sisibilio wrote:He's not a superb athlete but neither lacking in any particular aspect, solid at least.
On the other hand i've never seen a kid that age with such dominance of the whole game, it's like watching a teen Larry Bird.

BTW i wouldn't be surprised if he had some minutes in the ACB or euroleague this season. He's been the best player in the 2nd team since day 1.

I don't think he is going to have some ACB minutes this season. The club is trying to keep him away from the spotlights, press,... They know that's impossible because of the high expectations placed on him, but they try to keep him safe. Maybe next year...
JPF
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#8 » by JPF » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:06 pm

Dončič's father was a tutor for Dragič back in the days when they played together. Considering he was a chain smoker his career wasn't even that bad :D

I was mostly worried by Luka's athletic abilities, since at the age of 14, playing against 16 years olds that was a visible issue, eventhough he kept those MVP titles coming. In the last year his athleticisim visibly improved, while next year or two will be crucial. He won't stand out with his athleticism in NBA, but I don't think that will end up being his weakness either. When he is playing vs. players his age, it actualy becomes boring to watch.

The last Hopitalet tournament he was just incredible. Dominating the game with the best prospects in europe the way he did while being 2 years younger is something out of all proportions and only few NBA players from europe had such remarkable performances at that age.

He'll end up being a SF, game wise that's his game, no matter all draft sites rank him as a SG, even if he loves transition and perimeter game, his inside game is too good to be neglected, probably will grow to 6'7 -6'8, shooting mechanism improved and should further improve with age, while his fundamentals and bball IQ aren't questionable at all.

If he keeps healthy, he'll be an NBA player the question is only if we're talking about a quality rotation player or a star, anything below that would be a surprise.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#9 » by Sports Geek » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:42 pm

JPF wrote:He'll end up being a SF, game wise that's his game, no matter all draft sites rank him as a SG, even if he loves transition and perimeter game, his inside game is too good to be neglected, probably will grow to 6'7 -6'8, shooting mechanism improved and should further improve with age, while his fundamentals and bball IQ aren't questionable at all.

Maybe he is going to end up being a SF, but you mention his inside game is too good, but I think the hardest quality to find in a player is the IQ. You don't want a player like this waiting for the ball away from the action. You want him because of his playmaking abilities. Size and good movements in the post are qualities many players have. Playmaking abilities at that size is not that usual. That's what makes him special. I think he could be a SF, but a Tony Kukoc Jugoplastika wise. An unique one.
JPF
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#10 » by JPF » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Sports Geek wrote:
JPF wrote:He'll end up being a SF, game wise that's his game, no matter all draft sites rank him as a SG, even if he loves transition and perimeter game, his inside game is too good to be neglected, probably will grow to 6'7 -6'8, shooting mechanism improved and should further improve with age, while his fundamentals and bball IQ aren't questionable at all.

Maybe he is going to end up being a SF, but you mention his inside game is too good, but I think the hardest quality to find in a player is the IQ. You don't want a player like this waiting for the ball away from the action. You want him because of his playmaking abilities. Size and good movements in the post are qualities many players have. Playmaking abilities at that size is not that usual. That's what makes him special. I think he could be a SF, but a Tony Kukoc Jugoplastika wise. An unique one.

Well, inclusion of a SF game-wise is a matter of the coach more or less, however as far as my philosophy goes, when you've got a 6'7-6'8 (Luka should grow there somewhere) "guard" with strong body (he is above average for his class) and good rebounding instincts it's a complete waste playing him on a SG, which most of the time should stay back to prevent the fast break. Unless of course you already got a better SF with better inside game... but that's already kind of a nitpicking.

He really is something special, so far I think only Rubio and Mirotić were as hyped in Spanish junior competitons as he is.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#11 » by sisibilio » Fri May 1, 2015 2:21 pm

Sports Geek wrote:
sisibilio wrote:He's not a superb athlete but neither lacking in any particular aspect, solid at least.

I don't think he is going to have some ACB minutes this season. The club is trying to keep him away from the spotlights, press,... They know that's impossible because of the high expectations placed on him, but they try to keep him safe. Maybe next year...

Ther you go. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtYdFF2w2I
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Sports Geek
Junior

Post#12 » by Sports Geek » Sat May 2, 2015 3:58 pm

sisibilio wrote:
Sports Geek wrote:

Ther you go. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtYdFF2w2I

See? I was right. He didn't have minutes, he had "minute". A minute and a half :lol: :P
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#13 » by sisibilio » Thu May 7, 2015 3:45 pm

Real Madrid is playing the spanish u18 championship where they're heavy favourites

Today at 19:30 CET (13:30 ET) streamed live the QF vs Gran Canaria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_z6ycgWiBs
livescore http://baloncestoenvivo.feb.es/#160

Games are available on demand as well

1/8F Real Madrid vs Barcelona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t67J_WzdpUg

next week they'll play the Euroleague u18 tournament
http://www.adidasngt.com/u18
@MikePradaSBN

JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#14 » by JustMagic » Fri May 8, 2015 9:47 pm

Something in his movement reminds me of Bodiroga, but then again it might be just my imagination :)

From a draft/NBA prespective he's even below average athlete. If you think of him ever becoming an NBA player you can't compare him to some youth euro players, even if they are 2 years older. Just from watching a few youtube clips you can find tons of American players his age or younger doing crazy dunks while being shorter, running the fast-break like deers, and lightening-quick first steps.
Obviously you can improve athletic ability when getting older but not by that much. He just doesn't got it.

Maybe if he'll grows 2 incehes he'll be similar to a guy like Gallinary, only less athletic.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,607

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 9, 2015 7:19 am

Man, 1999 born player playing for Real. Makes me feel old.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#16 » by sisibilio » Sat May 9, 2015 10:02 pm

15 pts 14 reb 15 as for Doncic in the final

To everyone's surprise he was named MVP of the tournament

You can watch it here
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDpho6N2Uk[/youtube]
@MikePradaSBN

Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#17 » by Stackey » Sun May 10, 2015 8:40 am

Those are his highlights from that yesterday's game
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIGJ71GzIdQ[/youtube]

Couple of notes:

- this is competition for player born in 1997, Dončić is born in 1999

- spanish clubs are not just made of spanish players, they are full of talents from all around the Europe, and he still manages to dominate them

Now Real Madrid is champion of the Spain for the player under 18 years old, but from the May 14 they will play final Euroleague tournament for same age group against best youth clubs from entire Europe, we will see him there. More information about tournament here:
http://www.adidasngt.com/
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#18 » by Sports Geek » Sun May 10, 2015 7:23 pm

JustMagic wrote:Something in his movement reminds me of Bodiroga, but then again it might be just my imagination :)

From a draft/NBA prespective he's even below average athlete. If you think of him ever becoming an NBA player you can't compare him to some youth euro players, even if they are 2 years older. Just from watching a few youtube clips you can find tons of American players his age or younger doing crazy dunks while being shorter, running the fast-break like deers, and lightening-quick first steps.
Obviously you can improve athletic ability when getting older but not by that much. He just doesn't got it.

Maybe if he'll grows 2 incehes he'll be similar to a guy like Gallinary, only less athletic.

He IS NBA material for sure. Nobody has showed this kind of dominance in Europe at his age but Rubio. Not Pau Gasol, not Gallinari, not Nowitzki,... American high school players can dunk and run as much as they want, but no other player in the world can make 47 efficiency points by taking just 8 shots. In a final surrounded by older elite players. That's unique.
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#19 » by JustMagic » Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 pm

I never said he wasn't NBA material.
All skills and physical abilities are relative. Maybe he's a great shooter, and a great passer and a smart defender, but you can't say his athletic ability is good. Its good for Euro youth competition, not for NBA standards. And it won't become much better, because it's just not in his genetics.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#20 » by Sports Geek » Sun May 10, 2015 8:51 pm

Well, we should wait until he becomes a man (he is 16, remember how did you look when you were 16) to see if he is physically good or not. At the moment he is over 10 rebounds most of the times. It is not that bad for a SG. Anyway, his father was a member of Slovenian National Team (shooting forward), so his genetics should be over the average.

Return to NBA Draft