Robert Upshaw

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,777

Robert Upshaw 

Post#1 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 pm

He's a talented 7 footer with a 7-4 wingspan, yet he was booted from the Fresno State program after his freshman year and from the Washington program in January by Lorenzo Romar. Does anyone know why, specifically? Obviously this is the first question that any team interested in drafting him will ask.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Re: Robert Upshaw 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:28 am

There was another thread on him but got buried. I don't think it really answered your questions though. speculation was cocaine, but who knows.
Sign here
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#3 » by nicnac215 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:33 am

could be a good 2nd round pick up
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,777

Post#4 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:20 pm

brackdan70 wrote:There was another thread on him but got buried. I don't think it really answered your questions though. speculation was cocaine, but who knows.

Yeah, I see that he spent time in John Lucas' program and "failed multiple drug tests." If it was marijuana, no big deal, but cocaine is not so good. No one wants to draft William Bedford II, not even in the second round.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
teleblaze
Banned User
And1: 360

Post#5 » by teleblaze » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:10 pm

he will end up in the D-league and will become hassan whiteside 3.0 with a cocaine addiction that can block shots for the Cavs
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#6 » by MCtripDub » Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Tue May 12, 2015 3:55 pm

MCtripDub wrote:Hassan Whiteside maybe? http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/post/1 ... ert-upshaw

Draft and stash overseas would probably be a good idea for whoever drafts him and for Upshaw, imo. He can grow up and learn fundamentals for a couple years, then go to the NBA with maturity and better skills.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#8 » by Mattya » Tue May 12, 2015 4:32 pm

It really all depends on what drug he was using. Like someone else said, I would take him if it was weed, but cocaine...keep him far away from my Wolves.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Mattya wrote:It really all depends on what drug he was using. Like someone else said, I would take him if it was weed, but cocaine...keep him far away from my Wolves.

Yeah, we don't need another Lamar Odom. But if he turns out to be Birdman, we could be okay. The bad thing about NBA players doing harder drugs is that it can get around the locker room (meaning other players can get ahold of it). Although I'm sure being famous and rich already puts that stuff around you.
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#10 » by Big Jaffa » Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Mattya wrote:It really all depends on what drug he was using. Like someone else said, I would take him if it was weed, but cocaine...keep him far away from my Wolves.

Yeah, we don't need another Lamar Odom. But if he turns out to be Birdman, we could be okay. The bad thing about NBA players doing harder drugs is that it can get around the locker room (meaning other players can get ahold of it). Although I'm sure being famous and rich already puts that stuff around you.

Yeah, but if this guy is already on the harder stuff (IF), can you imagine how that will go if he gets even a minimum NBA salary.

We had a similar thing here in Australia with an AFL team. Some journeyman from another team was signed and brought a hugely negative drug culture to the team. Turned a dynasty team into a 7 year rebuilding project that's only now getting better having cleaned house multiple times to purge the taint.

Mind you, it is a big IF, and I'm sure teams will take a good long hard look at his background first.

If he ends up going undrafted come draft night, we'll know it was likely the harder stuff...
Rip City
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#11 » by EMG518 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:52 am

Big Jaffa wrote:If he ends up going undrafted come draft night, we'll know it was likely the harder stuff...

I cant fathom him going undrafted. He is worth a 2nd round pick regardless of what problems he is bringing to the table. You would be hard pressed to find a better prospect that late. Might as well take the risk on a drug problem rather than take the risk of taking a much less talented player. He is easily a first round talent.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#12 » by Kevin Willis » Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 am

Ignoring the drug use what are his pros and cons as a player.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#13 » by Big Jaffa » Wed May 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Pros-
Legit C size and length
Real good mobility for a guy that size
Shot blocking instinct
Solid Rebounder
Excellent finisher

Cons -
Free throwing as good as Drummonds
Raw in terms of BBIQ, which can lead to usual big man troubles (fouls, struggling to pick up schemes)
Not much offensive game beyond his arms, but his mobility helps out
Rip City
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Wed May 13, 2015 1:32 pm

One thing he does well on offense is pick n roll scoring. He's obviously not a pick n pop guy at this point.

He's been criticized for low BBIQ, but actually his foul rate and turnover rate were just fine.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#15 » by DickGrayson » Wed May 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Robert Upshaw with a 7'.7.5" wingspan and a 9'5" standing reach.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#16 » by kennydorglas » Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 pm

DickGrayson wrote:Image

Geez, lock in the 1st now.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Mattya
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mattya » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

kennydorglas wrote:

I doubt it. We all knew he was big and has talent, everything about where he is drafted will depend on his background check and interviews.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#18 » by Gilles » Wed May 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Whoever gives him guaranteed 1st round money might not even get a few productive minutes.
And ESPNU made a small mistake with his wingspan as NBADraft first reported correct 7'5.5" (look closely at the picture)
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#19 » by kennydorglas » Wed May 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Mattya wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:

I doubt it. We all knew he was big and has talent, everything about where he is drafted will depend on his background check and interviews.

yeah, his background is really bad but I had him with a 7'4 wingspan. 7'7 is another level of 'BIG'.
at very least, he'll be drafted in the late 1st IMO
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Mattya
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mattya » Wed May 13, 2015 6:05 pm

kennydorglas wrote:
Mattya wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:

yeah, his background is really bad but I had him with a 7'4 wingspan. 7'7 is another level of 'BIG'.
at very least, he'll be drafted in the late 1st IMO

Gobert was drafted in the very late first with better measurements, and significantly less off the court question marks.

Return to NBA Draft