Myles Turner

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: Myles Turner 

Post#101 » by Mattya » Fri May 15, 2015 5:43 pm

King Ken wrote:Has there ever been a big with his measureables who shot the ball so well?

I think potential to shoot is a better representation. His shooting hasn't been all that impressive so far. He does have nice touch though and his free throw shooting is very good. I would bet Porznigis has better measurements and has proven to shoot the ball better from deeper.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#102 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Lakers love their centers. Think they'd take him early?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Re: Re: Myles Turner 

Post#103 » by cedric76 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:10 pm

doordoor123 wrote:He won't ever be able to guard fours. He isn't a four. Pau Gasol moves faster than Turner.

Fours won't be able to guard him, or if they do, they 'll leave paint open.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#104 » by cedric76 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 pm

doordoor123 wrote:He won't ever be able to guard fours. He isn't a four. Pau Gasol moves faster than Turner.

People were saying same about draymond green. Too slow to guard 3 and not strong enough to guard 4.
So who can tell what a 19yr old guy will become?
Turner isn't a finished product
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#105 » by King Ken » Fri May 15, 2015 6:21 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Lakers love their centers. Think they'd take him early?

Maybe. He's the perfect counter with Randle at PF.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#106 » by cedric76 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:41 am

Orlando wish list
Towns
KP/Turner
Wcs
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#107 » by ALL HAIL » Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 pm

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Lakers love their centers. Think they'd take him early?

Maybe. He's the perfect counter with Randle at PF.

Yessir. You are exactly right, both of you.

Lakers love their centers, and I think Turner has to be on their radar because of his size and ability along with the potential, almost perfect, chemistry he'd have with Randle.

If Towns is off the board when the Lakers pick, I'd take Turner in a second if I'm the Lakers.

Of course, first the Lakers must see if they will even have a pick.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#108 » by jman3134 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:42 pm

^ I agree that he would complement Julius Randle pretty well. That said, you trade down for him and secure an extra pick. No reason he goes that high.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#109 » by MalonesElbows » Sun May 17, 2015 8:02 pm

cedric76 wrote:

People were saying same about draymond green. Too slow to guard 3 and not strong enough to guard 4.
So who can tell what a 19yr old guy will become?
Turner isn't a finished product

Green benefits from having a top 3 rim protector behind him. He would get killed more often than not with an average center. Some team will overpay him and find out the hard way.
There's zero precedence a 7' unathletic big is going to guard the perimeter in the NBA. The Jazz thought they could do it with Kanter and got shredded. Even if Turner could guard the perimeter, why would you want to move him away from the basket he is a great shot blocker?
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#110 » by ALL HAIL » Sun May 17, 2015 8:40 pm

jman3134 wrote:^ I agree that he would complement Julius Randle pretty well. That said, you trade down for him and secure an extra pick. No reason he goes that high.

If only it were that easy.

Imagine trading back two spots for assets and then the guy you want is gone.

If you could do what you propose with reasonable assurance that the guy you want is there when you do eventually pick, then by all means, you do it.

If you are not sure in any way that "your guy" will still be there, you fall back from a trade and simply pick your guy.

Trading back is an extremely dicey and complicated set of variables -- tread lightly.

Correct me if I'm wrong (strictly off the head here) but some of the more notable "trade back" situations:

- Portland trades back for Aldridge so Chicago can grab "their guy" -- Tyrus Thomas.

and

- Probably the most noteworthy, Orlando trades back one spot,for Anfernee Hardaway,so Golden State can get Chris Webber. Absolutely no risk for Orlando as they are assured to have their guy in Hardaway.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by jman3134 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:52 pm

Okay, but barring a complete paradigm shift post workouts, Turner is not considered a top 4 pick on anyone's list. He has the potential to be worthy of the top 4 selection if his game develops, but there about 6 guys who are interchangeable at the top this year. In the next tier, you have Hezonja and Cauley-Stein, who are more proven options. If Cauley-Stein slips when you trade down, you pick him. Plenty of talent at the top.

Also, we don't know what the order is yet. So this conversation is kind of pointless until the lottery is set in stone.

Myles Turner with a top 4 pick in this draft is a selection that gets you fired.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,249

Post#112 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 17, 2015 9:02 pm

Not sure about that. Turner has just as much upside as Mudiay does. Cauley-Stein is as closed to a finished product as it gets.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#113 » by jman3134 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Cauley-Stein is not a finished product at all. His offensive game is completely underdeveloped and he will become an elite interior defender at the NBA level.

I disagree that Turner has the same upside as Mudiay, as I believe Mudiay could be the best player in this draft class. But, it is all about perception.

The difference is that Mudiay will be a key contributor right away. Turner is a pure potential pick at this point and if you pick him that early, you could lose your job. Mudiay might not even be a top 4 pick at this point either, which is a crazy thought to me.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#114 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 10:39 pm

jman3134 wrote:Cauley-Stein is not a finished product at all. His offensive game is completely underdeveloped and he will become an elite interior defender at the NBA level.

I disagree that Turner has the same upside as Mudiay, as I believe Mudiay could be the best player in this draft class. But, it is all about perception.

The difference is that Mudiay will be a key contributor right away. Turner is a pure potential pick at this point and if you pick him that early, you could lose your job. Mudiay might not even be a top 4 pick at this point either, which is a crazy thought to me.

A finish product usually means that player has a legit skill-set. No one in this draft is a finish product in the sense that they are done developing.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#115 » by reignfire » Sun May 17, 2015 11:33 pm

jman3134 wrote:Cauley-Stein is not a finished product at all. His offensive game is completely underdeveloped and he will become an elite interior defender at the NBA level.

WCS will not be an elite interior defender. His strength on defense will be PnR and switching.

He's actually not that good at rebounding, shotblocking, or interior D.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#116 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon May 18, 2015 12:01 am

WCS will get better as his body matures. He plays basketball purely on physical gifts. He isn't a very smart player and doesn't have much offensive potential, but once his body fills out he will be a beast. Not sure I'd be willing to wait that long tho.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#117 » by jman3134 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:32 am

reignfire wrote:

WCS will not be an elite interior defender. His strength on defense will be PnR and switching.

He's actually not that good at rebounding, shotblocking, or interior D.

No, WCS is not currently an elite interior defender - note my word choice. Closing out stretch fours is just scratching the surface of his potential. He is not a finished product defensively by any stretch and his awareness has a long way to go. The tools are all there though.

What is preventing him from developing into an elite interior defender? What does that term mean to you? Just one on one back to the basket defense?

Edit: I did not address the other part of your statement. He is a much better weakside shot blocker than you are giving him credit for. He was top 100 this year and #12 a year ago in blocks %. This is nationwide.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#118 » by jman3134 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:38 am

King Ken wrote:

A finish product usually means that player has a legit skill-set. No one in this draft is a finish product in the sense that they are done developing.

I disagree with that definition. Also, when you are talking about a finished product, you have to qualify on the offensive or defensive side of the ball as well.

Every player in the first round has a legit skillset and a calling card, or they would not be given guaranteed money. Cauley-Stein is not an elite defender yet, and his offensive game is beyond raw. He is a complete project on that side of the floor.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#119 » by cedric76 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:39 am

Turner s thread became wcs' ??
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,752

Post#120 » by greg4012 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:34 pm

I think Turner will be a guy who ends up being chosen inside the top 10. His upside is outstanding, and if the reports that his mobility and lower body concerns are fixable are legit, then that should qualm the only real concerns with him. If he is already improving this, and shows good mobility in workouts, some teams will fall in love with him.

How early do you think he could go?

Return to NBA Draft