ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1101 » by closg00 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:02 am

keynote wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/603717690591547395[/tweet]

Thibs? Worst kept secret
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1102 » by fishercob » Thu May 28, 2015 11:25 am

keynote wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/603717690591547395[/tweet]

My guess is Casey.

If it's Wittman, we're getting Love.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1103 » by Dat2U » Thu May 28, 2015 1:01 pm

closg00 wrote:

Thibs? Worst kept secret

But everyone sees Thibs coming.

Many raps fans were hoping it's Casey immediately after the Raps got swept. It was almost a surprise he remained.

I wouldn't mind if it's Witt but I certaintly don't expect it to be.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1104 » by keynote » Thu May 28, 2015 1:55 pm

Carlisle would be a surprise -- yet not out of the realm of possibility.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,305

Post#1105 » by nate33 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 pm

keynote wrote:Carlisle would be a surprise -- yet not out of the realm of possibility.

If Carlisle got fired, I would hope EG (or Ted) got on the phone with him immediately to talk about hiring him here. Wittman isn't the worst coach in the league, but he's not in the same class as Carlisle. Carlisle is a top 3 coach IMO.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1106 » by Ruzious » Thu May 28, 2015 2:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
keynote wrote:Carlisle would be a surprise -- yet not out of the realm of possibility.

If Carlisle got fired, I would hope EG (or Ted) got on the phone with him immediately to talk about hiring him here. Wittman isn't the worst coach in the league, but he's not in the same class as Carlisle. Carlisle is a top 3 coach IMO.

Definitely top 3 for a long time, but that would really surprise if me Cuban fired Carlisle. Then again, Detroit fired him after he did a great job there. He just rubbed people the wrong way.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1107 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Definitely top 3 for a long time, but that would really surprise if me Cuban fired Carlisle. Then again, Detroit fired him after he did a great job there. He just rubbed people the wrong way.

Cuban has already given Carlisle a vote of confidence and just extended him not too long ago. So, I doubt its him.

Dallas had a roster with holes and even a great coach can't cover those all up. That falls on Nelson and Cuban for making that Rondo trade.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1108 » by Illmatic12 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Dat2U wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Thibs? Worst kept secret

Many raps fans were hoping it's Casey immediately after the Raps got swept. It was almost a surprise he remained.

I think Sheridan was living under a rock and didn't realize that everyone expected Thibs to be fired, lol.. I assume that's who he was referring to
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1109 » by hands11 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 pm

So Thibs got the axe. Brad Daugherty was ranting on about how good Thibs is and how he never really had a chance because his players were always injured. They said the firing was in part because Thibs was pissed and making waves because of min restrictions on Rose and Noah. Which to me, is absolutely what the front office needed to do to Thibs. Thats one thing the WIZ have done well with Randy.

You can't just let grinder coaches or contract year coaches grind players into the ground when they aren't ready for various reasons. That's what EFJ did when he was here. Injuries are going to happen but there are ways of getting more games out of players by letting them heal up first and capping their minutes until they are ready to risk it again. If you grind them down in the regular season, they are more likely going to burn out or get injured more often when it could have maybe been avoided. Error on the side of caution. Thibs seems to be the opposite of Pops and more a Mark Jackson.

Over the last 2 years, the Wizards have a nice program in place for how to handle these things. Thibs didn't seem to like having that taken out of his hands. Randy seems to have gotten on board with the idea. He just says.. its out of my hands. When the doctors clear him and he gets some practices in, we will re-evaluate him. If memory serves me right, it wasn't like that in Randy's first year but because of Nene, Wall and Beal, he learned it was a good idea.

And that seems to be one thing in favor of Randy. He is stubburn like Thibs. A good defensive coach like Thibs. But even though it seems to take forever, Randy does seem to slowly adapt.. even if at a snails pace.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1110 » by payitforward » Fri May 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

My kind of guy....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1111 » by gtn130 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:45 pm

LOL
gtn130
Analyst

Post#1112 » by gtn130 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:47 pm

hands11 wrote:So Thibs got the axe. Brad Daugherty was ranting on about how good Thibs is and how he never really had a chance because his players were always injured. They said the firing was in part because Thibs was pissed and making waves because of min restrictions on Rose and Noah. Which to me, is absolutely what the front office needed to do to Thibs. Thats one thing the WIZ have done well with Randy.

You can't just let grinder coaches or contract year coaches grind players into the ground when they aren't ready for various reasons. That's what EFJ did when he was here. Injuries are going to happen but there are ways of getting more games out of players by letting them heal up first and capping their minutes until they are ready to risk it again. If you grind them down in the regular season, they are more likely going to burn out or get injured more often when it could have maybe been avoided. Error on the side of caution. Thibs seems to be the opposite of Pops and more a Mark Jackson.

Over the last 2 years, the Wizards have a nice program in place for how to handle these things. Thibs didn't seem to like having that taken out of his hands. Randy seems to have gotten on board with the idea. He just says.. its out of my hands. When the doctors clear him and he gets some practices in, we will re-evaluate him. If memory serves me right, it wasn't like that in Randy's first year but because of Nene, Wall and Beal, he learned it was a good idea.

And that seems to be one thing in favor of Randy. He is stubburn like Thibs. A good defensive coach like Thibs. But even though it seems to take forever, Randy does seem to slowly adapt.. even if at a snails pace.

Thibs is a superstar assistant but not a great head coach. He's still at least a top 20 NBA coach though
gtn130
Analyst

Post#1113 » by gtn130 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
closg00 wrote:
Thibs? Worst kept secret

I think Sheridan was living under a rock and didn't realize that everyone expected Thibs to be fired, lol.. I assume that's who he was referring to

It's Chris Sheridan. Nothing he says should ever be taken seriously
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1114 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:30 am

Seeing Kerr's adjustments working for GS tonight is bringing back visions of Randy's shortcomings. Kerr was willing to start small, while Randy continued to start Nene no matter what. And Kerr was also willing to go to a guy he hadn't gone to in a while in Lee, while Randy let Humphries rot on the bench. Two simple but gutsy coaching decisions that could literally save their championship if they pull this out. Props to Kerr, the anti-Wittman.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1115 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:19 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Seeing Kerr's adjustments working for GS tonight is bringing back visions of Randy's shortcomings. Kerr was willing to start small, while Randy continued to start Nene no matter what. And Kerr was also willing to go to a guy he hadn't gone to in a while in Lee, while Randy let Humphries rot on the bench. Two simple but gutsy coaching decisions that could literally save their championship if they pull this out. Props to Kerr, the anti-Wittman.

A lot of coaches would make more adjustments if they had multiple former All-Stars sitting on their bench.. just saying
hands11
Banned User

Post#1116 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:12 pm

gtn130 wrote:
hands11 wrote:So Thibs got the axe. Brad Daugherty was ranting on about how good Thibs is and how he never really had a chance because his players were always injured. They said the firing was in part because Thibs was pissed and making waves because of min restrictions on Rose and Noah. Which to me, is absolutely what the front office needed to do to Thibs. Thats one thing the WIZ have done well with Randy.

Thibs is a superstar assistant but not a great head coach. He's still at least a top 20 NBA coach though

Yeah but if you listen to the writers and talking heads, you would think he is one of the best in the league and a great head coach. I liked the idea of us bringing him in here when no D in Eie F Joron was the coach. I was pissed that didn't work out but again, butter lucky then good. Had Thibs landed here, Wall would likely be in a wheel chair by now all busted up like Rose has been and Beal would be scheduled for a ankle amputation.

In Randy, we effectively got our Thibs type but with Randy being a smaller name, the front office was able to box him in regarding players returning from injury and minutes. Something CHI hasn't been able to do with Thibs which is a large part of his problems.

There are tiers, just like most things.

Thibs seems to be good at developing talent and that's important. He is also good at setting up the defense. Very important.
But he is terrible regarding minutes, getting along with the front office and sometimes rotations and time out. CHI fans hated how much he used Boozer. Noah stays half broken. Taj is getting busted up. Every year you hear, if CHI was only healthy. I remember those days with Eie F Joron.

Thibs is like a Mark Jackson. Grinders. Try harder. F the front office. I'm in charge. Its my team. Get out of my way.

Then you have another tier that have the smarts to make the more subtle adjustments and who have great assistants like a Thibs under them. Wizards have some nice assistants now. Bring in Newman from SAS was smart. But by all accounts, he is a defensive assistant. Seems like they need a better offensive asst to go along with Newman.

Thibs has that Pops personality but they are polar opposites when it comes to managing mins. If Thibs ever was to break this bad habit and learn to manage mins and heath over regular season wins, he would be a much better coach. Playoff performance matter more the reg season performance.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1117 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:28 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Seeing Kerr's adjustments working for GS tonight is bringing back visions of Randy's shortcomings. Kerr was willing to start small, while Randy continued to start Nene no matter what. And Kerr was also willing to go to a guy he hadn't gone to in a while in Lee, while Randy let Humphries rot on the bench. Two simple but gutsy coaching decisions that could literally save their championship if they pull this out. Props to Kerr, the anti-Wittman.

Well, to be fair, most coaches don't make the adjustments you are talking about. Its the exception when they do. Usually the ride what got them there and just sub out for foul trouble an injuries.

But come playoff time, those adjustments changing things up adjustment can be huge. They are what win you titles. Its a game of adjustments in a 7 game series.

Its Chess, not Checkers.

I missed the last game.. wow. look at that starting line up. Bogut only played 3 mins ? Wow.. Those are some big balls Kerr is totting around. I recorded the game and honestly haven't got caught up so I missed this head adjustment. That's how you do it. Look at Iggy stepping back in as a starter. Now nice it that to have an Iggy on your bench ? Man did they go small. Sick move by Kerr.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400796848
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1118 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:36 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Seeing Kerr's adjustments working for GS tonight is bringing back visions of Randy's shortcomings.Kerr was willing to start small, while Randy continued to start Nene no matter what.And Kerr was also willing to go to a guy he hadn't gone to in a while in Lee, while Randy let Humphries rot on the bench. Two simple but gutsy coaching decisions that could literally save their championship if they pull this out. Props to Kerr, the anti-Wittman.

Here's to hoping that the Wizards find a better coach after this season.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1119 » by Higga » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Seeing Kerr's adjustments working for GS tonight is bringing back visions of Randy's shortcomings.Kerr was willing to start small, while Randy continued to start Nene no matter what.And Kerr was also willing to go to a guy he hadn't gone to in a while in Lee, while Randy let Humphries rot on the bench. Two simple but gutsy coaching decisions that could literally save their championship if they pull this out. Props to Kerr, the anti-Wittman.

Here's to hoping that the Wizards find a better coach after this season.

Say it with me....

Tyronn Lue

Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1120 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Nah, LeBron isn't letting Lue leave. He'll get the team to fire Blatt and promote Lue before he'd let him leave.

Whomever the Cleveland "coach" actually is, they also adjusted last night by essentially benching Mozgov. Gutsy IMO since dude was coming off a career night, and it almost worked out. (I think the piece they were missing was playing Marion over James Jones.)

And another move Kerr has made in the last two games has been to use Livingston as the first man off the bench, replacing Barnes and thus playing alongside Curry and Thompson. I watched a lot of GSW games this year, and I can't recall them going to that lineup (unlike the Green/Barnes/Iggy frontcourt which they go to a lot). Genius tweak by Kerr IMO.

Hope Randy has been taking notes...

Return to Washington Wizards