Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Guillermo Hernangomez 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 31, 2015 9:41 pm

Should this guy have more buzz?

- Center length and strength

- Looks skilled in the post

- Productive against very good competition - ACB and Eurocup. More minutes than Hezonja and a better player?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE2u5Zrcrek[/youtube]
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Guillermo Hernangomez 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Sun May 31, 2015 9:48 pm

He is not a better prospect than Hezonja, older, less athletic and explosive, defensive problems and not the same offensive type of upside, a better player as of today, it is difficult to know, the level of competition they face in their teams is way to similar.
He plays a ton but he has been playing for a bad team kind of, they save the category in the last weak of the season almost.
He is the son of a former professional player, his little bro plays also in ACB for Estudiantes.
Willy is a good prospect, but he lacks toughness as of today, can score but he is a bit of a black hole, skilled, good touch, but not overly explosive or athletic, he reminds me a bit of Reyes, although he is bigger, but he lacks Felipe's heart and strength.
He is a quality big, he should make a good offensive rotation player one day, reminds a bit of Henry Sims.
Sports Geek
Junior
And1: 103

Post#3 » by Sports Geek » Sun May 31, 2015 10:48 pm

Fischella wrote:He is not a better prospect than Hezonja, older, less athletic and explosive, defensive problems and not the same offensive type of upside, a better player as of today, it is difficult to know, the level of competition they face in their teams is way to similar.
He plays a ton but he has been playing for a bad team kind of, they save the category in the last weak of the season almost.
He is the son of a former professional player, his little bro plays also in ACB for Estudiantes.
Willy is a good prospect, but he lacks toughness as of today, can score but he is a bit of a black hole, skilled, good touch, but not overly explosive or athletic, he reminds me a bit of Reyes, although he is bigger, but he lacks Felipe's heart and strength.
He is a quality big, he should make a good offensive rotation player one day, reminds a bit of Henry Sims.

He is worse than Hezonja, no doubt about it. Sky is the limit for Hezonja, his only problem is inside his head. About Willy, he is a beast, extremely strong but unable to jump more than a few inches. I completely disagree about his skills level, he is tough but limited offensively (for an European player). He is much stonger than Felipe Reyes. I remember Felipe at his age and he wasn't that strong. Alfonso Reyes, Felipe's older brother is a better comparison in terms of strength. Anyway, Willy reminds me a lot to a younger Nikola Pekovic (same height, really strong,...). He has chances to develop into something similar to him. Anyway I wouldn't select him in the first round. As a second rounder he could be a good steal.

He is a son of two professional players, his mom was one of the greatest of all time in Spain. She played the center.

He already has shared workouts on the summer with the national team as a guest. He had the chance to work with the Gasol brothers, Ibaka and Reyes. He is the best inside prospect from Spain, that's why the federation is giving him this kind of "rewards".

He could be already useful for Real Madrid if the club decides to bring him back, he has improved A LOT this season.
J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#4 » by J_Ray » Sun May 31, 2015 11:26 pm

The stat Draftexpress has brought up a few times about being 1 of 7 players in ACB history to post a 20 PER by the age of 20 is impressive. I'm curious to see if he can have another spurt of growth talent wise, and be a late bloomer/steal in this draft.
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Sun May 31, 2015 11:41 pm

Madrid wont bring him back, they have Nocioni, Reyes and Ayon plus likely Thompkins coming in, or even Scola.
He will be in another team for another season at least.
I was comparing him more to the stronger Felipe, not at the same age, anyway, the Pek comp is fair, but Nikola is much bigger, he has 50lbs on Willy, and less mobile, but their game is fairly similar.
Willy is not tough, especially defensively, he can help in the pick&roll due to mobility, but he is very soft inside, and shy from contact.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jun 1, 2015 1:33 am

What do you guys think of Arturas Gudaitis? Another C who glancing at his youtube vids looks like he has some NBA caliber talents and is productive at a high level
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#7 » by Sports Geek » Mon Jun 1, 2015 8:23 am

Fischella wrote:Madrid wont bring him back, they have Nocioni, Reyes and Ayon plus likely Thompkins coming in, or even Scola.
He will be in another team for another season at least.
I was comparing him more to the stronger Felipe, not at the same age, anyway, the Pek comp is fair, but Nikola is much bigger, he has 50lbs on Willy, and less mobile, but their game is fairly similar.
Willy is not tough, especially defensively, he can help in the pick&roll due to mobility, but he is very soft inside, and shy from contact.

Well, Mejri and Bourousis could be out. That opens a spot for the possible Thompkins and him. I hadn't heard about Scola. Is that a real chance?

Most players usually gain some weight as they get older. That's why I'm comparing him to Pekovic. He could be that kind of body.

I still disagree with the contact part. He is not a great defender but he can move any player by pushing them on the post.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 1, 2015 2:21 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:What do you guys think of Arturas Gudaitis? Another C who glancing at his youtube vids looks like he has some NBA caliber talents and is productive at a high level

If Gudaitis had elite length, he would be an outstanding prospect. Hes still a decent shot blocker, but his poor length limits him a lot. Guy is fairly athletic, has decent first step, often makes explosive plays to the basket. Also like his pick and roll D, knows how to move on defense, is not a stiff. But he has no skill, really poor back to the basket game. Decent strength, can get in the position, but needs to learn some post moves and finishes. His superior strength and athleticism allows him to be effective against Euros, but in the NBA, that advantage would be gone. Not at all ready to get minutes in the NBA.

Still worth a late second rounder. I would draft him in the late 40s and stash him, hoping he develops some skills with that already existing shot blocking. He actually has some potential as face up player, as I said he has decent first step, good hanle for a center, needs to work on his mid range jumper. Unfortunately hes already 22, so that limits his upside.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#9 » by Sports Geek » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 am

Alberto Herreros (Real Madrid basketball sports director) yesterday said Guillermo Hernagómez and Luka Doncic are going to be a part of 2015-2016 pro team roster.
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#10 » by JustCame » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:34 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:What do you guys think of Arturas Gudaitis? Another C who glancing at his youtube vids looks like he has some NBA caliber talents and is productive at a high level

If Gudaitis had elite length, he would be an outstanding prospect. Hes still a decent shot blocker, but his poor length limits him a lot. Guy is fairly athletic, has decent first step, often makes explosive plays to the basket. Also like his pick and roll D, knows how to move on defense, is not a stiff. But he has no skill, really poor back to the basket game. Decent strength, can get in the position, but needs to learn some post moves and finishes. His superior strength and athleticism allows him to be effective against Euros, but in the NBA, that advantage would be gone. Not at all ready to get minutes in the NBA.

Still worth a late second rounder. I would draft him in the late 40s and stash him, hoping he develops some skills with that already existing shot blocking. He actually has some potential as face up player, as I said he has decent first step, good hanle for a center, needs to work on his mid range jumper. Unfortunately hes already 22, so that limits his upside.

Age is pretty irrelevant when it comes to European bigs. The Gasol brothers were drafted at 21 and 22 respectively.

Return to NBA Draft