2015 Eurobasket

Moderator: THE J0KER

Muizha
Junior
And1: 220

Re: 2015 Eurobasket 

Post#21 » by Muizha » Thu Jun 4, 2015 12:59 pm

Latvia also announced its preliminary roster today, which was divided into two parts - players that are invited to the training camp and players that are invited to a sort of a mini camp, from which, after 4 practices and 2 games, 4-5 players will be invited to the main training camp.

(Players in bold are already invited to main training camp; others - to mini camp)

PGs

Jānis Strēlnieks (Brose Basket, Image)
Žanis Peiners (Ventspils, Image)
Ingus Jakovičs (VEF Rīga, Image)
Dāvis Lejasmeiers (Ventspils, Image)
Kaspars Vecvagars (Žalgiris, Image)

SGs

Dairis Bertāns (Bilbao, Image)
Jānis Blūms (Panathinaikos, Image)
Aigars Šķēle (Valmiera, Image)
Haralds Kārlis (Seton Hall, NCAA)
Kristaps Janičenoks (Ventspils, Image)

SFs

Jānis Timma (VEF Rīga, Image)
Rihards Kuksiks (Nizhny Novgorod, Image)
Mārtiņš Laksa (Jūrmala, Image)
Jānis Bērziņš (VEF Rīga, Image)

PFs

Ojārs Siliņš (Reggio Emilia, Image)
Mareks Mejeris (VEF Rīga, Image)
Kristaps Porziņģis (Sevilla, Image)
Rolands Freimanis (Unics, Image)
Kaspars Bērziņš (Krasnije Krilya, Image)
Andrew Smith (Liberty University, NCAA)

Cs

Andrejs Šeļakovs (Jēkabpils, Image)
Mārtiņš Meiers (Ventspils, Image)
Lauris Blaus (Liepāja, Image)
Ričmonds Vilde (Houston, NCAA)
Dāvis Rozītis (Valmiera, Image)
Ronalds Zaķis (VEF Rīga, Image)
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,743

Post#22 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 4, 2015 2:26 pm

France always had talent, but you can't deny that they got more talented in this decade. France players often were run and gun, athleticism over strategy type of players. If you live by this style of play, you really need individually strong players to beat top European nations. And France has those players now, their talent caught on to their style of play. Batum is a big upgrade on the wing, Ajinca and Gobert upgraded center postition, they got deeper with guys like Huertel, Lauvergne, Fournier coming of the bench. France reached elite level.

And yes, if you tier teams, and do it with precision, France and Spain are still above Greece and Serbia. Don't get me wrong, Greece and Serbia can easily beat Spain or France, but if I have to tier them, I still put them slightly below those teams.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#23 » by Von Bismarck » Thu Jun 4, 2015 5:57 pm

Mirotic, just type what player you are interested in (or that I mentioned) and you will see. Maybe I'm mistaken about Parker, we'll see.

Anyways, since I live in Croatia for few years now, I can almost precisely say their 12 men roster. (bolded are for sure cause there are 3 dillema about the team, 9 players are in for sure)

1. Lafayette (Olympiakos) and Popovic (Khimki) / Ukic (Cedevita) / Stipcevic (Virtus Roma)
2-3. Bogdanovic (Nets), Hezonja (Barcelona/NBA), Rudez (Pacers), Simon (Lokomotiv Kuban) and Babic /Pilepic / Tomas (All Cedevita)
4-5. Tomic (Barcelona), Saric (Anadolu Efes), Radosevic (Alba Berlin), Zoric (Fenerbahce Ulker) and Bilan (Cedevita) / Barac (Cedevita) / Suton (Joventut)

Coach Perasovic, who was voted 2014 Liga ACB best coach, after recording 17 consecutive wins with Valencia and winning Eurocup, took over Croatia early this year, when he resigned at Valencia due to them selling most of their best players even though they promised to Perasovic they would not. Perasovic said his Croatia will play fast and disciplined basketball as he believes Croatia has the right players to do so. He said natural leaders of this team are Bogdanovic and Tomic who are veterans in the team even though still young. He also said he's counting on Saric (especially) and Hezonja to take their future leading roles in their hands.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#24 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 10:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:France always had talent, but you can't deny that they got more talented in this decade. France players often were run and gun, athleticism over strategy type of players. If you live by this style of play, you really need individually strong players to beat top European nations. And France has those players now, their talent caught on to their style of play. Batum is a big upgrade on the wing, Ajinca and Gobert upgraded center postition, they got deeper with guys like Huertel, Lauvergne, Fournier coming of the bench. France reached elite level.

And yes, if you tier teams, and do it with precision, France and Spain are still above Greece and Serbia. Don't get me wrong, Greece and Serbia can easily beat Spain or France, but if I have to tier them, I still put them slightly below those teams.

I seem to remember that the last time Greece played against Spain and France they beat them both. Or am I wrong? I seem to remember actually that Greece almost always beats France for many years now, and only loses to them when they have all their stars missing. Or am I wrong?

I seem to remember that Serbia beat France last time they played. And also that Serbia has been one of the biggest thorns in the side of Spain in recent years also. Am I wrong here?

In case of France, they have a horrible match up against Greece. Because their style of basketball really does not work against a team like Greece at all. They also have a poor match up against a team like Serbia, although not quite as bad as against Greece, because Serbia does not have as many shooters and scorers as Greece does when they have more of their better players. But the point is that, the style of play and type of team of France is not good for matching with teams like Serbia and Greece.

With Spain, I guess you could count them better with Serbia, because Serbia is still not as deep as them and still Serbia is lacking in some real quality players here and there and they don't have the same experience level. But I have to ask though, how long do we just say Spain is at the top here when all their leaders except Marc Gasol are ancient players? I mean, they seem like new Argentina now, where no matter what age they are, every tournament everyone just swears they will win gold because of past glories and it matters nothing that most of their leaders are years and years past their primes, or even almost former players, and in some cases should have retired years ago already.

Argentina was like that. For years and tournament after tournament, people just guaranteed they would be winning medals at World Cups and Olympics even though they were ancient and all their key players were years past their good playing years. You could not reason with the logic of people that thought this though if you said they were too old. But never did Argentina win a thing once they got to that point, yet people kept saying endlessly they would for years.

I feel exactly this is how Spain seems now. Last summer how shocked all people were how can they not win gold medal? Well maybe because their leaders of their team are really old? Maybe because they are too old? Now all everyone guarantees they must win gold or silver now it seems. It just reminds exactly of all those years people talking about that old has been Argentina team to me.

Pau Gasol = 35
Felipe Reyes = 35
Juan Carlos Navarro = 35

So Spain is probably I would guess going to be something like,

if it is Ibaka,

PG Sergio Rodriguez / Sergio Llull / Pau Ribas
SG Juan Carlos Navarro /
SF Rudy Fernandez / Fernando San Emeterio
PF Pau Gasol / Felipe Reyes / Victor Claver
C Marc Gasol / Serge Ibaka

if it is Mirotic,

PG Sergio Rodriguez / Sergio Llull / Pau Ribas
SG Juan Carlos Navarro /
SF Rudy Fernandez / Fernando San Emeterio
PF Pau Gasol / Nikola Mirotic / Victor Claver
C Marc Gasol / Felipe Reyes

with I'm guessing someone like Xavi Rabaseda or Alex Abrines probably at SG.

Break that down piece by piece. I see a roster of old and over the hill guys (Pau, Reyes, Navarro), some guys that have injury issues (Ibaka if he plays, Rudy that is injury prone), some very talented players that have so far in their careers proven that they are very talented, and that they fold like a deck of cards against pressure (Rodriguez, Llull, Ribas, Rabaseda, Abrines, Mirotic, Claver), role player veteran (San Emeterio)...

And then in case of Marc Gasol, in modern basketball in FIBA, if a team wants to, they can take him out of a game with their defensive scheme if they choose to do so. Especially if they have a big front line. Big behemoth centers like him can be neutralized with FIBA rules by a great defensive scheme and a big front line in today's game.

And so they lack that one perimeter scorer with the ball. Who is it? Are they going to rely on 35 year old Pau to handle things then? or 35 year old Navarro to handle things then? You know that is what they have always done since forever. These guys are 35 years old now. This is same discussion I swear as in past years as Argentina, where some people just would not accept that they got too old and their time was past.

OK, maybe you can put them over Serbia I guess because they are deeper than Serbia and as I said Serbia still lacks in some quality players in certain places in their roster definitely. And the experience factor. Maybe over Croatia because some of Croatia key players are really young and that team is super inconsistent with such young players as that.

I really don't see how Spain is better than Greece though. I mean how? How? They will be relying on Rudy to create a ton of offense on the perimeter, on guys like Llull and Rodriguez to take a lot of shots. They will be trying to force feed Marc Gasol a lot through harsh FIBA zone stacked defense against two 6-10 to 7-0 guys in the paint. And if that does not work, then back to 35 year old Pau, Navarro and hope Reyes can crash the boards still at 35? Hope Ibaka's knee is fine?

I see a full Greek team looking much better than that Spain team. I don't see it. France and Greece looks clearly better than Spain by any clear and objective analysis. I can only see how people saying Spain is in top 2 teams are again playing this same card as like Argentina in the past, and not wanting to admit that their time was past it. Spain has more players coming along and helping than Argentina did, but still their team was Pau and Navarro and greatly helped by Reyes crashing the offensive boards, and those guys are really not going to hold up any more in these kinds of tournaments.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by Von Bismarck » Thu Jun 4, 2015 10:58 pm

I put Spain in tier one cause objectively they're but realistically not. My personal opinion is that Serbia-Spain is 50:50 game and that the Greece-Spain game is 50:50 as well. It's certainly not that old Spain that would tear you apart any day. I also think that Croatia is ready for another step-up, maybe a bronze medal or something like that. They have the same core for years and those core players are fairly young whereas they have two lottery guys, future stars in making. With the third one being Bender who's still too young (17) for senior team.

I presume that in 2-3 years Croatia, Serbia and Greece will once again be strong powerhouses of European basketball. That's the place they rightfully deserve. Especially Serbia in Croatia. Countries that gave best basketball players in European history and still producing one of the finest type of players and they don't seem to stop.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#26 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jun 5, 2015 12:27 pm

Spain is definitely on a downswing, but they still very good. A lot of their veterans still play great. Reys for example, he had his career year arguably.
And Marc is a huge force, he was great in the last Eurobasket. A lot of teams tried to take him out of the game and failed. If you pack the paint or double him, Spain has elite shooters and Marc is a very good passer. Even guys like Krstic or Valanciunas were huge in FIBA play, and its hard for teams to take them out of the game. Marc Gasol is on another level as a C.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by Von Bismarck » Fri Jun 5, 2015 2:26 pm

Latvia's preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2015: Janis Strelnieks (Brose Baskets Bamberg, GER); Dairis Bertans (Dominion Bilbao, ESP); Janis Blums (Panathinaikos, GRE); Zanis Peiners (BK Ventspils, LAT); Kristaps Janicenoks (BK Ventspils, LAT); Janis Timma (VEF Riga, LAT); Ojars Silins (Reggio Emilia, ITA); Mareks Mejeris (VEF Riga, LAT); Kristaps Porzingis (Sevilla, ESP); Rolands Freimanis (Unics, RUS); Kaspars Berzins (Krasnye Krylia, RUS); Andrejs Selakovs (BK Jekabpils, LAT).

The Netherlands preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2015: Kees Akerboom (SPM Shoeters Den Bosch, NED); Sean Cunningham (Donar Groningen, NED); Yannick Franke (Challenge Sports Rotterdam, NED); Nicolas de Jong (Cholet Basket, FRA); Worthy de Jong (Zorg en Zekerheid Leiden, NED); Mohamed Kherrazi (Zorg en Zekerheid Leiden, NED); Charlon Kloof (Istanbul DSI, TUR); Thomas Koenis (Donar Groningen, NED); Henk Norel (CAI Zaragoza, ESP); Ralf de Pagter (SPM Shoeters Den Bosch, NED); Roeland Schaftenaar (Rethymno, GRE); Arvin Slagter (SPM Shoeters Den Bosch, NED); Robin Smeulders (EWE Baskets Oldenburg, GER); Leon Williams (Zwolle, NED)

Those are the squads. Latvia is interesting team but will be handicapped significantly due to Davis Bertans not playing (injury).
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#28 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jun 5, 2015 3:29 pm

Latvian squad was already posted by Muizha. I know Latvian fans believe they can beat Lithuania at home, but I don't see it.

Not familiar with Netherlands squad at all. Any notable players?
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by Von Bismarck » Fri Jun 5, 2015 4:26 pm

Not really. Only Hank Norel who is an average Eurocup/low league Euroleague type a player. But don't get your hopes up, will be eaten alive by anyone cause practically any serious team has at least above average Euroleague center. Not to mention that many teams have NBA and top Euroleague centers. I think Holland it TOP 3 worst team on the championship. They will end up with huge minus when we consider their opponents; Greece, Croatia, Slovenia and Georgia. The only chance they have is against Macedonia if they play their best game in a long time.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 5, 2015 9:51 pm

I am thinking about Russia's probable roster, if they don't have injuries and players taking the tournament off, and they can have a really nice team. They were a disaster for last 2 years, but now they could come back nice. They just need the coach and also mainly Shved to play well, and not be out of control and play stupid like he does so much with bad shot selection.

PG Shved / Ponkrashov / Khvostov
SG Fridzon / Vyaltsev or Voronov
SF Monia / Kurbanov
PF Vorontsevich / Antonov
C Mozgov / Kaun / Korobkov or Klimenko

I am guessing it would probably look something like that.

They don't have any stars or anything, but yet they have good players at every position and are deep 1-12. They have shooters, they have size, length, experience, can play in a system, and can cause problems in defense. I am sure none of the top teams will want to see them in elimination rounds.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#31 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 6, 2015 8:17 am

Yeah, Russia seems nice. Really Strong center rotation, athletic power forward, good 3 point shooting wings, SF who can do a little bit of everything, and a scoring PG whose good at pick and roll too. Everything fits very well.

Unfortunately for them, they will face one of group B teams right away in the round of 16, so it wouldn't be surprising if they don't reach quarter finals.
MixedUp
Senior
And1: 254

Post#32 » by MixedUp » Sun Jun 7, 2015 8:24 am

Von Bismarck wrote:Not really. Only Hank Norel who is an average Eurocup/low league Euroleague type a player. But don't get your hopes up, will be eaten alive by anyone cause practically any serious team has at least above average Euroleague center. Not to mention that many teams have NBA and top Euroleague centers. I think Holland it TOP 3 worst team on the championship. They will end up with huge minus when we consider their opponents; Greece, Croatia, Slovenia and Georgia. The only chance they have is against Macedonia if they play their best game in a long time.

The fact that we made the Euro Cup was allready like winning the whole thing. Think we haven't been there in somewhat 25 years or something like that. Just imagine making the Eurocup with a team full of players that don't get paid for their international duties.

Any win at Euro Cup would be great but I expect only losses. Watch for Leon Williams though..
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#33 » by Hogified05 » Tue Jun 9, 2015 6:24 am

So with Dirk playing and Schroader really improving this year if he plays...does Germany have anyone else that can give them any help? Is Kaman playing for them again? At least he gives Dirk a capable partner down low.

I'd love to see Germany become as competitive as France and Spain have become. Seems like an untapped country. I know soccer is king in all of Europe but Spain and France have produced great talent lately. I've given up on England ever producing talent ha.

Maybe Dirk's reign in the NBA (MVP, Finals MVP, a Championship) has the youngsters over there giving hoops a chance. Maybe Schroader is the first of the generation that grew up watching Dirk that will give them some talent. Much like Vince did to the current crop of Canadian talent (even though Vince isn't Canadian). Maybe it will take an NBA Franchise in Germany too who knows.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
Zeecho
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#34 » by Zeecho » Tue Jun 9, 2015 2:53 pm

It will be interesting what can Germany, Slovenia and Spain do in this eurobasket. I could see Germany suprise quite a few good teams. Especially with Schroader's development and if Dirk refinds his shoting form. Slovenia could be a good one only if Dragic decides to play ( not likely) and there was some talk aboult Bryant Dunston playing for them. As for Spain .......I still don't know who from the old team decided to retire from national squad and who will actually play. but they are allways up there for the win.

But all that doesn't matter if FIBA takes legal action against Country's that have teams that play in ABA league. FIBA wants new ABA league, but the teams don't ( alteast 11 out of 12 teams don't). It was said that FIBA will go as far as to ban those countries that have teams in ABA league( Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, izrael, Bosnia) from participating in Eurobasket.
I reserve the right to ignore stupid offers, posts, and messages
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:23 pm

Hogified05 wrote:So with Dirk playing and Schroader really improving this year if he plays...does Germany have anyone else that can give them any help? Is Kaman playing for them again? At least he gives Dirk a capable partner down low.

I'd love to see Germany become as competitive as France and Spain have become. Seems like an untapped country. I know soccer is king in all of Europe but Spain and France have produced great talent lately. I've given up on England ever producing talent ha.

Maybe Dirk's reign in the NBA (MVP, Finals MVP, a Championship) has the youngsters over there giving hoops a chance. Maybe Schroader is the first of the generation that grew up watching Dirk that will give them some talent. Much like Vince did to the current crop of Canadian talent (even though Vince isn't Canadian). Maybe it will take an NBA Franchise in Germany too who knows.

Schroeder and Kaman supposedly already said they are playing. Germany has a good coach and they also have a lot of good players. They have a lot of depth to their team. Probably 12 deep with quite good players. However, looking at the group they are in, I would not expect them to be able to do a whole lot. Even though they are playing at home, and in the past in 1993, they won EuroBasket (the only time they ever won it) because they had home court advantage.

Still, this tournament is much harder than back in those days, as the level of European basketball is greatly increased since then. So I don't think just playing at home is going to make so much difference, even though in FIBA the refs definitely always help the home teams, and that is not even debatable. But that group they are in is really tough. Almost all the teams are clearly more talented than they are.

But their coach is known for grinding games out, so maybe that will be what they will try to do. Just grind every game down. But if they do that, it will not be good for Dirk or Kaman, because they don't play well in that kind of basketball, especially Kaman. And Schroeder is young and small for European basketball, so playing grind out basketball won't be good for him either. Especially with a true zone, which he does not have to face in the NBA.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#36 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Image Israel announced 19 men preliminary squad. Definition of middle of the pack team, far from the top teams, but far from the worst. Could shock B group team in the play offs if lucky.

PGs

Gal Mekel -- (Nizhny Novgorod Image)
Yogev Ohayon -- (Maccabi Tel Aviv Image)
Yuval Naimy -- (Hertzeliya Image)
Afik Nissim -- (Hapoel Eilat Image)

SGs

Yotam Halperin -- (Hapoel Jerusalem Image)
Raviv Limonad -- (Hapoel Tel Aviv Image)
Nitzan Hanochi -- (Maccabi Rishon Image)
Dagan Yivzori -- (Maccabi Haifa Image)
Bar Timor -- (Hapoel Jerusalem Image)
Shawn Dawson -- (Maccabi Rishon Image)

SFs

Omri Casspi -- (Kings NBA)
Guy Pnini -- (Maccabi Tel Aviv Image)

PFs

Lior Eliyahu -- (Hapoel Jerusalem Image)
Elishay Kadir -- (Hapoel Eliat Image)
Oz Blayzer -- (Hertzeliya Image)

Cs

D'or Fischer -- (Unics Kazan Image)
Yaniv Green -- (Hapoel Jerusalem Image)
Robert Rothbart -- (Nahariya Image)
Alex Chubrevich -- (Maccabi Haifa Image)
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:26 pm

So if all of Israel's players decide to play and they don't have any injuries, then that would definitely be the strongest team they have had in a very long time.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#38 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:32 am

Image Poland's 16 men preliminary :

PGs

Łukasz Koszarek -- (Stelmet Zielona Góra Image)
Robert Skibniewski -- (WKS Śląsk Wrocław Image)

SGs

A. J. Slaughter -- (Panathinaikos Image)
Przemyslaw Zamojski -- (Stelmet Zielona Góra Image)
Dardan Berisha -- (Sigal Prishtina Image)
Michal Chyliński -- (PGE Turow Image)
Karol Gruszecki -- (Energa Czarni Image)
Michał Sokołowski -- (Rosa Radom Image)

SFs

Mateusz Ponitka -- (Telenet Oostende Image)
Adam Waczyńsk -- (Obradoiro CAB Image)

PFs

Damian Kulig -- (PGE Turow Image)
Aaron Cel -- (Stelmet Zielona Góra Image)
Aleksander Czyz -- (PGE Turow Image)

Cs

Marcin Gortat -- (Wizards NBA)
Adam Hrycaniuk -- (Stelmet Zielona Góra Image)
Przemyslaw Karnowski -- (Gonzaga NCAA)
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Poland's roster is decent. That's a solid team, but in a tournament like this with so many very good and very deep teams, it will be hard for them to do much.

Does anyone know what Sasha Kaun's status is for the tournament now? He announced he is retiring from his club career, but he did not say anything about if he is playing this summer or not?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#40 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:48 am

Mirotic12 wrote:Poland's roster is decent. That's a solid team, but in a tournament like this with so many very good and very deep teams, it will be hard for them to do much.

Does anyone know what Sasha Kaun's status is for the tournament now? He announced he is retiring from his club career, but he did not say anything about if he is playing this summer or not?

KUsports reported that Kaun is retiring from European club basketball, but will seak NBA contract. Didn't say anything about FIBA ball.

Return to International Basketball