Who is Tyler Dorsey?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Who is Tyler Dorsey? 

Post#1 » by Greek » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:12 pm

I've read that he is playing at Oregon,his mother is Greek, and he is trying to get the Greek citizenship to play with our youth NT. can someone give me his playing profile?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Who is Tyler Dorsey? 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:29 pm

He's projected to be a Jrue Holiday-type player from what I've heard.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#3 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 am

Greek wrote:I've read that he is playing at Oregon,his mother is Greek, and he is trying to get the Greek citizenship to play with our youth NT. can someone give me his playing profile?

He is already registered in Greece's junior national team. Therefore, he already has Greek citizenship. If he didn't, he could not be registered in their national team.
Greek
Starter

Post#4 » by Greek » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:29 am

doordoor123 wrote:He's projected to be a Jrue Holiday-type player from what I've heard.

If he is that kind of player then its great for us. After Calathes we dont really have any good guards especially at PG position coming the next years. We have only Stamatis who is like Spanoulis lite as far as about his game style and his mentality.
WeNeverLeftAZ
Junior
And1: 398

Post#5 » by WeNeverLeftAZ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:20 pm

T. Rex arms.

Originally committed to Arizona. Wants to be a pg bad but it is just not there. Volume scorer who should put up good numbers at Oregon.
I made sure to say 'Bear Down Arizona!' at the end of our broadcast. That was for Wildcat Nation. -NBC Anchor Brian Williams
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Greek wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:He's projected to be a Jrue Holiday-type player from what I've heard.

If he is that kind of player then its great for us. After Calathes we dont really have any good guards especially at PG position coming the next years. We have only Stamatis who is like Spanoulis lite as far as about his game style and his mentality.

I follow all the top youth tournaments and Greece has many excellent young guard prospects besides just Stamatis.

Dimitris Moraitis
Fotis Kapris
Vassilis Mouratos
Antonis Koniaris
Michalis Lountzis
Vassilis Toliopoulos
Nikos Diplaros
Iakovos Milentgievits

and others. Greece is right with France, Serbia, Croatia and anyone else these days in Europe in youth levels. They are producing talent non stop. The only difference is that NBA still barely scouts in Greece. But I believe that will change very soon due to players like Antetokounmpo and Papagiannis coming from there, some Greek players like Mitoglou and Papapetrou doing quite well in the NCAA, and also that the under-19 championship of FIBA will be in Greece this summer, and I believe that the hang up the NBA has about Greece's players will end after that.

Because I am sure Greece will send most of their best players to showcase them for a tournament they host. Whereas they normally just use junior tournaments for player development. Something I think NBA scouts do not understand that some European countries like Greece and others do, and NBA scouts are not able to grasp that when they decide the so called level of certain country's talent pools. If you follow the youth tournaments from just a talent perspective for European scouting, Greece is producing talent at a very high rate. I think they are producing talent much better for example than countries like Lithuania and Spain right now.
Greek
Starter

Post#7 » by Greek » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:26 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:

I follow all the top youth tournaments and Greece has many excellent young guard prospects besides just Stamatis.

Dimitris Moraitis
Fotis Kapris
Vassilis Mouratos
Antonis Koniaris
Michalis Lountzis
Vassilis Toliopoulos
Nikos Diplaros
Iakovos Milentgievits

and others. Greece is right with France, Serbia, Croatia and anyone else these days in Europe in youth levels. They are producing talent non stop. The only difference is that NBA still barely scouts in Greece. But I believe that will change very soon due to players like Antetokounmpo and Papagiannis coming from there, some Greek players like Mitoglou and Papapetrou doing quite well in the NCAA, and also that the under-19 championship of FIBA will be in Greece this summer, and I believe that the hang up the NBA has about Greece's players will end after that.

Because I am sure Greece will send most of their best players to showcase them for a tournament they host. Whereas they normally just use junior tournaments for player development. Something I think NBA scouts do not understand that some European countries like Greece and others do, and NBA scouts are not able to grasp that when they decide the so called level of certain country's talent pools. If you follow the youth tournaments from just a talent perspective for European scouting, Greece is producing talent at a very high rate. I think they are producing talent much better for example than countries like Lithuania and Spain right now.

From those that you have mention by far the best prospect is Lountzis, but they are very young. Spanoulis will play if will play his last tournament with the NT, and we have nothing ready behind him close to be ready for the mens NT. Papas has an ACL injury will not play either and he is not a PG anyway.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:If he is that kind of player then its great for us. After Calathes we dont really have any good guards especially at PG position coming the next years. We have only Stamatis who is like Spanoulis lite as far as about his game style and his mentality.

Dimitris Moraitis
Fotis Kapris
Vassilis Mouratos
Antonis Koniaris
Michalis Lountzis
Vassilis Toliopoulos
Nikos Diplaros
Iakovos Milentgievits

From those that you have mention by far the best prospect is Lountzis, but they are very young. Spanoulis will play if will play his last tournament with the NT, and we have nothing ready behind him close to be ready for the mens NT. Papas has an ACL injury will not play either and he is not a PG anyway.

From what I have seen at youth level, I would not say Lountzis is a better prospect really at all than Diplaros, Mouratos, or Kapris. He is simply developing at a quicker rate than they are because he has the kind of body type that develops faster. I don't believe he's a better prospect at all though.

These are just players based in talent at their age. All of them might pan out, and none of them, not a single one of them might pan out. You can't know at those ages. But based on just the talent, Lountzis is not any better than players like that. I have not seen Moraitis play that much so I can't make a real assessment, but from the little I saw, he seems very promising also. I will hold off on saying though, because I have not seem him play much. And also, don't ever dismiss players like Milentgievits. He is a true shooter that can just flat out get his shot at any time. Those kinds of players are rare, even in Europe, and they always translate to higher levels. Once he gets into a good club with good coaching, he has the potential to become a dangerous offensive weapon.

You are seriously underrating the level of player development the Greek basketball system is doing these days at the youth level. It is right there with Serbia and Croatia as the absolute best of the best in Europe right now. All the evidence needed of that is just how in recent years they developed Antetokounmpo, Papagiannis, Charalampopulos, Vezenkov (even though people in US might not rightfully credit them with that one). But you are clearly not aware of a lot these under the radar players they are also producing. You can't go by just players "you hear about" and think those are the only talents a country has. As an example, Kapris is a terrific talent, but since he is not attached to Panathinaikos or a mock draft, you probably did not hear any hype with him. Don't fall into that trap.

As for Spanoulis, I very seriously doubt he intends to retire now from Greece's national team, or to play his last tournament already or whatever. That sounds like some wishful thinking from certain kinds of media. Every single time I have heard him speak in any media in Europe like Euroleague, or Spain, or anything in big medias (French, Italy) whatever it might be, he always gave the same answer, unlike many other kinds of players.

He would play in his national team his entire career until he retired as a player or until they refused to call him anymore. He always said he would never quit playing for his national team while he was still an active player. So never keep playing say like Diamantidis did, but with a national team. I have read him give such answers many times like Galis and Giannakis played until the ended their career and could not play anymore and were in their late 30s and I will do the same unless my career ends because of injury. I mean every time I can remember he said that exact answer in every interview I ever saw when he was asked.

I would be really shocked if he quit at age 33, or even as you suggest, that he had already quit at age 31. Because I even remember him giving such an answer in some Spanish interview he did just this season. The only thing I can remember him saying was he won't play in summers if he is not healthy, or he might need sometimes to rest. But he said he was going to play as long as he possibly could and for many tears with his national team.
Greek
Starter

Post#9 » by Greek » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

Dimitris Moraitis
Fotis Kapris
Vassilis Mouratos
Antonis Koniaris
Michalis Lountzis
Vassilis Toliopoulos
Nikos Diplaros
Iakovos Milentgievits

From what I have seen at youth level, I would not say Lountzis is a better prospect really at all than Diplaros, Mouratos, or Kapris. He is simply developing at a quicker rate than they are because he has the kind of body type that develops faster. I don't believe he's a better prospect at all though.

These are just players based in talent at their age. All of them might pan out, and none of them, not a single one of them might pan out. You can't know at those ages. But based on just the talent, Lountzis is not any better than players like that. I have not seen Moraitis play that much so I can't make a real assessment, but from the little I saw, he seems very promising also. I will hold off on saying though, because I have not seem him play much. And also, don't ever dismiss players like Milentgievits. He is a true shooter that can just flat out get his shot at any time. Those kinds of players are rare, even in Europe, and they always translate to higher levels. Once he gets into a good club with good coaching, he has the potential to become a dangerous offensive weapon.

You are seriously underrating the level of player development the Greek basketball system is doing these days at the youth level. It is right there with Serbia and Croatia as the absolute best of the best in Europe right now. All the evidence needed of that is just how in recent years they developed Antetokounmpo, Papagiannis, Charalampopulos, Vezenkov (even though people in US might not rightfully credit them with that one). But you are clearly not aware of a lot these under the radar players they are also producing. You can't go by just players "you hear about" and think those are the only talents a country has. As an example, Kapris is a terrific talent, but since he is not attached to Panathinaikos or a mock draft, you probably did not hear any hype with him. Don't fall into that trap.

As for Spanoulis, I very seriously doubt he intends to retire now from Greece's national team, or to play his last tournament already or whatever. That sounds like some wishful thinking from certain kinds of media. Every single time I have heard him speak in any media in Europe like Euroleague, or Spain, or anything in big medias (French, Italy) whatever it might be, he always gave the same answer, unlike many other kinds of players.

He would play in his national team his entire career until he retired as a player or until they refused to call him anymore. He always said he would never quit playing for his national team while he was still an active player. So never keep playing say like Diamantidis did, but with a national team. I have read him give such answers many times like Galis and Giannakis played until the ended their career and could not play anymore and were in their late 30s and I will do the same unless my career ends because of injury. I mean every time I can remember he said that exact answer in every interview I ever saw when he was asked.

I would be really shocked if he quit at age 33, or even as you suggest, that he had already quit at age 31. Because I even remember him giving such an answer in some Spanish interview he did just this season. The only thing I can remember him saying was he won't play in summers if he is not healthy, or he might need sometimes to rest. But he said he was going to play as long as he possibly could and for many tears with his national team.

I have no doubt that they are many players under the radar, what i am saying is that on the 18-22 age group we dont have something close to be ready for the men's NT. Even VSpan play for an other 2 years he is close to end of his career and his athleticism that makes him so special is fading away. Thats my big worry.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:

I have no doubt that they are many players under the radar, what i am saying is that on the 18-22 age group we dont have something close to be ready for the men's NT. Even VSpan play for an other 2 years he is close to end of his career and his athleticism that makes him so special is fading away. Thats my big worry.

Yeah, but don't all national teams have the same problem with guards from 18-22? How many national teams can roll out a bunch of top level national team guards for top level tournaments that are at 18-22? Is there even a single European team that can?

Every team has same dilemma there mate. As for that age group you give, what about that guy Larentzakis? You know he seems to be an odd case to me because it seems like he has no interest so far from any bigger teams. I guess he is still just too young and is probably following similar course as a guy like Nikos Pappas did. I remember he started off in Kolossos to, where Larentzakis is now.

But I would not say you have no one in guards "right now" in 18-22. Because Larentzakis might be like Pappas was a few years ago. He might just be too young and inexperienced and just needs a 2-3 years of time to get ready. He was a very nice player in both the under 18 and under 20 championships in Europe. He is one of those very smooth guards and he's also very quick. And he has a really sweet shooting stroke. And good thing with him is he can actually create offense by creating his own shot or a shot for another player. And size and physical traits for either position in both ends of court, which is how Greece's systems require most guards that create must be. He's kind of like a bigger right handed Sloukas a little bit. Too early to tell on him, but he's a very skilled player and he's in that age group. He might be ready in a couple years.
Greek
Starter

Post#11 » by Greek » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

Yeah, but don't all national teams have the same problem with guards from 18-22? How many national teams can roll out a bunch of top level national team guards for top level tournaments that are at 18-22? Is there even a single European team that can?

Every team has same dilemma there mate. As for that age group you give, what about that guy Larentzakis? You know he seems to be an odd case to me because it seems like he has no interest so far from any bigger teams. I guess he is still just too young and is probably following similar course as a guy like Nikos Pappas did. I remember he started off in Kolossos to, where Larentzakis is now.

But I would not say you have no one in guards "right now" in 18-22. Because Larentzakis might be like Pappas was a few years ago. He might just be too young and inexperienced and just needs a 2-3 years of time to get ready. He was a very nice player in both the under 18 and under 20 championships in Europe. He is one of those very smooth guards and he's also very quick. And he has a really sweet shooting stroke. And good thing with him is he can actually create offense by creating his own shot or a shot for another player. And size and physical traits for either position in both ends of court, which is how Greece's systems require most guards that create must be. He's kind of like a bigger right handed Sloukas a little bit. Too early to tell on him, but he's a very skilled player and he's in that age group. He might be ready in a couple years.

His stats from last season are really horrible playing for a mediocre team, and his is 21 y/o. How can i can count on him, or compare to Pappas, that was a proven scorer, and his problems are mostly mental?
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#12 » by Zombiesonics » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 pm

tyler dorsey is half greek? he is a decent prospect with good size for the pg position, not sure he has the overall athleticism or feel for the position however. at the moment plays like a less athletic jamal crawford. Watched him at Bosco when he was playing with isaac and daniel hamilton
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:33 pm

Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:

His stats from last season are really horrible playing for a mediocre team, and his is 21 y/o. How can i can count on him, or compare to Pappas, that was a proven scorer, and his problems are mostly mental?

I did not say to count on anyone, but why be dismissive when he was one of the best 2-3 guards probably of both under-18 and under-20 championship. I don't like how so many guys in here that say they follow in European basketball are so into stats. It is like NBA mentality is taking over in European basketball culture too much with this obsession with stats.

Who cares what his stats were, he did not forget how to play basketball all of a sudden and he can't be at such a level even at under-20 championship without having the necessary talent and skills. That is unless he has some sort of physical limitation, which he does not, or some kind of injury issue, which I am not aware of concerning him.

You are a real picky guy on players. Larentzakis is a very good and talented young player and it's like you completely dismiss him like he is a nothing. So he is 21? So? This is like an NCAA junior. I don't know many of them that can even make a rotation in a league like Greece, probably like 1-2% of the seniors even can, and that is only counting the major schools of NCAA. So he's 21?

You comment before like Diamantidis is greatest thing since the guy who walked on water, and I do not recall that he was near as good at age 21. Calathes at same age was honestly struggling when he was in Greece.
Greek
Starter

Post#14 » by Greek » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 am

Zombiesonics wrote:tyler dorsey is half greek? he is a decent prospect with good size for the pg position, not sure he has the overall athleticism or feel for the position however. at the moment plays like a less athletic jamal crawford. Watched him at Bosco when he was playing with isaac and daniel hamilton

His mother is Greek and now he is playing with our U20 NT.
Greek
Starter

Post#15 » by Greek » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

I did not say to count on anyone, but why be dismissive when he was one of the best 2-3 guards probably of both under-18 and under-20 championship. I don't like how so many guys in here that say they follow in European basketball are so into stats. It is like NBA mentality is taking over in European basketball culture too much with this obsession with stats.

Who cares what his stats were, he did not forget how to play basketball all of a sudden and he can't be at such a level even at under-20 championship without having the necessary talent and skills. That is unless he has some sort of physical limitation, which he does not, or some kind of injury issue, which I am not aware of concerning him.

You are a real picky guy on players. Larentzakis is a very good and talented young player and it's like you completely dismiss him like he is a nothing. So he is 21? So? This is like an NCAA junior. I don't know many of them that can even make a rotation in a league like Greece, probably like 1-2% of the seniors even can, and that is only counting the major schools of NCAA. So he's 21?

You comment before like Diamantidis is greatest thing since the guy who walked on water, and I do not recall that he was near as good at age 21. Calathes at same age was honestly struggling when he was in Greece.

Bochorides when he was playing at Aris had way better production than him, and dont compare Larentzakis to Diamantidis on his Iraklis days. At his 21 he couldnt shoot but was a defensive menace and he stats where more like a C than PG.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:

Bochorides when he was playing at Aris had way better production than him, and dont compare Larentzakis to Diamantidis on his Iraklis days. At his 21 he couldnt shoot but was a defensive menace and he stats where more like a C than PG.

Diamantidis was a complete nobody at age 21. And now you mention Bochoridis, yet you said before Greece has no one in guards from 18-22. Who is Bochoridis then? He is by far one of best young guards in all of Europe.

You have confusing ideas about basketball in some ways mate.
Greek
Starter

Post#17 » by Greek » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:39 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Greek wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

Diamantidis was a complete nobody at age 21. And now you mention Bochoridis, yet you said before Greece has no one in guards from 18-22. Who is Bochoridis then? He is by far one of best young guards in all of Europe.

You have confusing ideas about basketball in some ways mate.

what ever. Its really hard to make any productive conversation with you. I will avoid it in the future.
Greek
Starter

Post#18 » by Greek » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01 am

What about him? he had very good season, really good shooter.

I know that he is not coming out, but since he is Greek and he has Greek passport i am interest to read the opinion of people that actually saw him
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#19 » by mojo13 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 pm

Greek wrote:What about him? he had very good season, really good shooter.

I know that he is not coming out, but since he is Greek and he has Greek passport i am interest to read the opinion of people that actually saw him

It is a stretch to call him Greek. But if your country needs American guards to be relevant then go for it.
He is born and raised in the US - he doesn't speak Greek and had never been there before last year playing for the u19 team.
He had one Greek maternal grandparent (deceased). His mother was not born nor raised in Greece (mother born in Israel and raised in USA).
Greece can be a little loose with its citizenship requirements (hey you like Greek food? Here is a passport! :)

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/07/09/tyler-dorsey-oregon-ducks-greece-u19s

Good player though - I really liked him at Oregon this year. and he was probably the best player on the Greek u19 team last summer.
I think he needs to stay at Oregon one more year. Oregon can be a great team if everyone comes back.
Greek
Starter

Post#20 » by Greek » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:00 am

mojo13 wrote:
Greek wrote:What about him? he had very good season, really good shooter.

It is a stretch to call him Greek. But if your country needs American guards to be relevant then go for it.
He is born and raised in the US - he doesn't speak Greek and had never been there before last year playing for the u19 team.
He had one Greek maternal grandparent (deceased). His mother was not born nor raised in Greece (mother born in Israel and raised in USA).
Greece can be a little loose with its citizenship requirements (hey you like Greek food? Here is a passport! :)

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/07/09/tyler-dorsey-oregon-ducks-greece-u19s

Good player though - I really liked him at Oregon this year. and he was probably the best player on the Greek u19 team last summer.
I think he needs to stay at Oregon one more year. Oregon can be a great team if everyone comes back.

I dont want to get in to this, i just wanted the impression about his game since he is eligible to play with our NT.

The next in line will be Zac Auguste (his mother is Greek).

Return to NBA Draft