Is Rondae Hollis-Jefferson basically Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Is Rondae Hollis-Jefferson basically Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? 

Post#1 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Besides the fact they both have hyphens in their last names, it's seems like these two have extremely games. If that's the case l, why is RHJ not projected to go higher when MKG went #2 in a very good draft. Is it because shooting wasn't seen as such a "must have" like it is now?

Am I off base here or what?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Re: Is Rondae Hollis-Jefferson basically Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? 

Post#2 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 pm

He's an even worse shooter than MKG was, so I imagine that definitely has something to do with it. MKG was also further along offensively than RHJ was coming off their respective freshman seasons.
accelerator
Senior
And1: 45

Post#3 » by accelerator » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Much higher motor
Go Celts!
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#4 » by Flip Murray » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:45 pm

accelerator wrote:Much higher motor

which one?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#5 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Gilcrest benefited from being a much higher regarded high school player than Rondae. They both are very similar player with the main difference being that Rondae doesn't have a totally broken shooting form that will need to be resconstructed like Gilcrest has undergone. So there can be major increases in Rondae's shooting percentages once he becomes a pro ball player and can devote all of his time to putting up practice shots where Gilcrest had to learn how to shoot, and still can't do so very well.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:08 pm

I like RHJ as much as I did MKG. MKG goes higher because he was a freshman instead of a sophomore, came off a very heralded high school career, played on an elite Kentucky team and I don't know if I remember a prospect who had more positive press written about his work ethic, motor on the court and desire to win than MKG. Had monster workout buzz as well
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#7 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:15 pm

RHJ didn't get the hype from playing on that fantastic UK team.

Honestly, I don't see much of a gap. They are very similar.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#8 » by yoyoboy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:17 pm

They're basically the same.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#9 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:32 pm

RHJ is MKG without the radical overhyping.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#10 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Yes, MKG was a huge overhyped monster, basically was mocked to go #1 in the 2013 draft by a gigantic amount - when he declared for 2012 I remember it rocked the world. Was by himself at #2 spot, pretty much no one else challenging his tier in most people's perspectives. Really a case of no one thinking critically about MKG and kinda just going along with the hype.

I like RHJ a lot though, MKG is turning into a fine player - I think RHJ can certainly have similar impact. Don't think he's quite the athlete MKG is, but he can be a big time defender.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#11 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:04 pm

MKG's shooting numbers were better across the board as a freshman

53% compared to 49% from 2
25% compared to 20% from 3
75% compared to 68% from FT

MKG was also a slightly better rebounder and he fouled less as well. RHJ is a great prospect, but MKG was better.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,570

Post#12 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:30 pm

Charlotte fans are always super defensive when it comes to MKG. I read one fan talking about how pairing their draft pick with MKG will mean they have 2 promising young shooters.

They are as close to identical of prospects as it gets IMO
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#13 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:19 pm

LofJ wrote:MKG's shooting numbers were better across the board as a freshman

MKG was also a slightly better rebounder and he fouled less as well. RHJ is a great prospect, but MKG was better.

I mean, those are better, but you're kind of splitting hairs there.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,003

Post#14 » by raptor jesus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:03 pm

LofJ wrote:MKG's shooting numbers were better across the board as a freshman

I think RHJ might have a more fixable jump shot. MKG's jumper has come a long way, but it started with that awful hitch. RHJ's definitely isn't pretty, but does look a little bit smoother to me, which could bode well for improvement. But I agree, MKG was still a better prospect.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,685

Post#15 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:16 am

MKG is slightly better, but if I have to pick MKG 2nd overall, as opposed to RHJ 15-20th overall guess who I'm going with?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#16 » by Justwar » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:33 am

Coaches messed up mkg. They kept teaching him a million different ways to shoot. Obviously if you shoot 75 from the line you have potential they just didn't fix what was there and retooled it. At uk had a solid midrange jumper and I've seen worse 3pt shooters but I never saw any better transition finishers. He is timid even in transition now.
Man Strength
Junior
And1: 44

Post#17 » by Man Strength » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Justwar wrote:Coaches messed up mkg. They kept teaching him a million different ways to shoot. Obviously if you shoot 75 from the line you have potential they just didn't fix what was there and retooled it. At uk had a solid midrange jumper and I've seen worse 3pt shooters but I never saw any better transition finishers. He is timid even in transition now.

That's just not accurate. He is very aggressive on the break and near the rim. He is a great finisher near the basket. He is more timid from mid range in half court, duly so, but not in the situation you described
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#18 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Hollis Jefferson
MKG
Chris Singleton
Josh Smith

All four guys are very similar, they all really excel at AAU but their skill have a hard time translating to the NBA.

A Team can try to take Rondae and try to prove the critics wrong but i just can't think of a highly athletic defensive player that is a poor shooter in college and ended up being a great player in the NBA in the last 10 drafts.

The forwards that have had success in the NBA as of late are guys like Chandler Parsons and Dreymond Green, who are the total opposites of MKG and Rondae. Parsons and Green are multi skilled, do it all forwards who are low vertical jumps.
perkinfor3
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 66

Post#19 » by perkinfor3 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:15 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Hollis Jefferson
MKG
Chris Singleton
Josh Smith

All four guys are very similar, they all really excel at AAU but their skill have a hard time translating to the NBA.

A Team can try to take Rondae and try to prove the critics wrong but i just can't think of a highly athletic defensive player that is a poor shooter in college and ended up being a great player in the NBA in the last 10 drafts.

The forwards that have had success in the NBA as of late are guys like Chandler Parsons and Dreymond Green, who are the total opposites of MKG and Rondae. Parsons and Green are multi skilled, do it all forwards who are low vertical jumps.

Kawhi Leonard was an MVP just over a year ago...
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#20 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:47 am

perkinfor3 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Hollis Jefferson
MKG
Chris Singleton
Josh Smith

Kawhi Leonard was an MVP just over a year ago...

Leonard didn't have 3 point range, but he wasn't really a poor shooter in general. He had a jumper during his college days, just needed to extent his range.

Return to NBA Draft