Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,715

Is Cameron Payne the next Steph Curry? 

Post#1 » by MessiahUjiri » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Before you start flaming, hear me out.

As someone who watched both players, I can't help but see the parallels between these two guys.

Both thin framed guys who can handle the ball really well, score with either hand, shoot with confidence, and make terrific passes.

Steph is obviously a better shooter (that's not much of a knock, since Steph is likely the best shooter of all time), but Cameron is actually a better passer.

Steph is taller by 2 inches, but Cameron's wingspan is a massive 6'7. I honestly think that if Cameron was three inches taller (even with the same wingspan) he would be talked about next to D'Angelo and Mudiay.

If you get 75% of Steph Curry, that's still allstar level production. I'd even argue that he can be a better player than Mudiay.

Thoughts?
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Re: Is Cameron Payne the next Steph Curry? 

Post#2 » by Dcebucks11 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Payne is gonna be a really solid player in the league next year, maybe even the best PG in the draft.. He's no curry tho, doesn't have near his skill set
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#3 » by Novocaine » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Not quite the next Steph Curry, but I think he's going to be a really good player. Just wrote this about him in another thread:

10. Payne - I love his pick and roll and fastbreaking game. Also a great shooter coming of screens. I think he's the type of point-guard made for the modern NBA.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:05 am

More like the next Trey Burke... almost identical measurements, almost identical numbers, almost identical strengths and weaknesses coming out of college... He will have trouble with finishing in the lane against length just like Trey does. His success will depend on his ability to hit jumpshots.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 am

His body/athleticism and passing skills may be similar, but going from Curry to a pass first PG changes the entire player, probably something like Conley is closer
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#6 » by 903124 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:50 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:Is Cameron Payne the next Steph Curry?

Is Tyler Harvey the next Steph Curry?
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#7 » by BoutPractice » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 am

"Next Stephen Curry" is going to be the biggest draft curse since "next KG".
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#8 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:17 am

He's not, they are of different skill sets. What makes Payne pass the eye test is his feel for the game, his instincts. He runs a team and not just an offense.
The_Reversal
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by The_Reversal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:26 pm

I think we need to pump the brakes a little bit here...

I actually like Payne, but he might not be an effective NBA player, he could easily bust out. I don't think you can really compare him to Curry on any level right now, it's like comparing Rashad Vaughn to Kobe Bryant. Their games are kind of similar but come on...
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#10 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:37 pm

More like next Mo Williams.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,521

Post#11 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Trey Burke has terrible measurables. He's short, is not fast/quick, so he struggles to get into the lane off the dribble and has short arms.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#12 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Burke is 6'1 with a 6'5 wingspan and is clearly quick, he is not explosive though
J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#13 » by J_Ray » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 pm

stitches wrote:More like the next Trey Burke... almost identical measurements, almost identical numbers, almost identical strengths and weaknesses coming out of college... He will have trouble with finishing in the lane against length just like Trey does. His success will depend on his ability to hit jumpshots.

Payne is much better at changing pace to create space, much better passer, brilliant at finishing with his floater and realizes his strengths rather than being overly confident like Burke.
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
stitches
RealGM

Post#14 » by stitches » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:35 pm

J_Ray wrote:
stitches wrote:More like the next Trey Burke... almost identical measurements, almost identical numbers, almost identical strengths and weaknesses coming out of college... He will have trouble with finishing in the lane against length just like Trey does. His success will depend on his ability to hit jumpshots.

Payne is much better at changing pace to create space, much better passer, brilliant at finishing with his floater and realizes his strengths rather than being overly confident like Burke.

People forget how good and shifty Burke looked in college. Those were precisely listed as his strenghts - shifty, change of pace...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhtnEvjsf8[/youtube]

"EXTREMELY quick with the ball, advanced ball handler", "scores in variety of ways", can attack the paint or hurt you from DEEP range", "changes speeds EXTREMELY well, goes right and left"... and he was doing all of this against much better competition and on much bigger stage.

His current failures are clouding the judgement of people.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#15 » by immortalone23 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:37 pm

stitches wrote:
J_Ray wrote:

People forget how good and shifty Burke looked in college. Those were precisely listed as his strenghts - shifty, change of pace...

"EXTREMELY quick with the ball, advanced ball handler", "scores in variety of ways", can attack the paint or hurt you from DEEP range", "changes speeds EXTREMELY well, goes right and left"

I don't watch many Utah games, why has he been so bad?
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
stitches
RealGM

Post#16 » by stitches » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:41 pm

immortalone23 wrote:
stitches wrote:
J_Ray wrote:

"EXTREMELY quick with the ball, advanced ball handler", "scores in variety of ways", can attack the paint or hurt you from DEEP range", "changes speeds EXTREMELY well, goes right and left"

I don't watch many Utah games, why has he been so bad?

1. His shot isn't falling! He's one of the worst shooters on open shots in the league - this actually is a hope for his improvement - because his shoot looks good mechanically... just for some reason it's not falling.
2. He's short and can't do **** in the paint against NBA level length and athleticism
3. Hero complex... doesn't realize he's no longer the best player on the floor. Takes some ill-advised shots.
4. Defensively he's been pretty bad.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#17 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Trey Burke is short though, he's like 5'11, Cameron Payne is 6'2.
J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#18 » by J_Ray » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:02 pm

stitches wrote:
J_Ray wrote:

"EXTREMELY quick with the ball, advanced ball handler", "scores in variety of ways", can attack the paint or hurt you from DEEP range", "changes speeds EXTREMELY well, goes right and left"... and he was doing all of this against much better competition and on much bigger stage.

Burke was guy that jumped up boards over the tournament and tested poorly in athletic testing. Everything pointed towards being a bust but tournament heroes always keep the hype. I stick to my statement from what my assessment was rather than depending on what other people were saying.
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Burke had a really good regular season though, I don't think it is fair to call him a tournament hero.
stitches
RealGM

Post#20 » by stitches » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Trey Burke is short though, he's like 5'11, Cameron Payne is 6'2.

According to their combine measurements:
in shoes: 6'1.25'' vs 6'1.5''
without shoes: 5'11.75'' vs 6'0.75''

The difference is 1 inch at best.

Return to NBA Draft