What Countries will Medal in Mens Basketball in Brazil?

Moderator: THE J0KER

slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Re: What Countries will Medal in Mens Basketball in Brazil? 

Post#21 » by slothrop8 » Sat May 9, 2015 6:25 pm

I think Canada vs Australia has a chance to become a great international rivalry over the next 4 or 5 years. Two emerging basketball nations with talented young teams - Ben Simmons vs Andrew Wiggins on the wing, current Spurs teamates who battle for rotation minutes there, battling each other at PG with Cory Joseph vs Patty Mills, Jamal Murray matching up with Dante Exum - lots of NBA players on each side.

My way too early 2016 prediction with a huge dose of Canadian homerism:

Gold - USA
Silver - France
Bronze - Canada
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#22 » by Hogified05 » Tue Jun 9, 2015 6:54 am

USA for the gold in 2016. Probably Spain for Silver (be the end of their great generation thou). Then I'll go with Aussies for Bronze what the hell!

I think the 2020 Olympics will get real interesting thou. USA will be in transition from the Bron, Durant teams I think. Might be in that awkward transition stage like Bron and Melo and them when they got Bronze in 04? Not to mention some countries are going be seriously loaded.

Canada will be a big threat by then I believe. They will have size, an depth as well as athletes to keep up with anyone including the USA. If this Jamal Murray kid can be an elite PG they might be on to something. Because they will have depth and size down low along with shooters.

Australia also has a chance if Simmons and Exum develop. They have another kid who was suppose to go to UCLA but got denied or something. Also if the Maker brothers decide to play for the Aussies. I think the Aussies and Canada's have a legit shot of messing with the US. They will be able to match up with them athletically unlike most countries who have the talent but can't match the athletes.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
paulius33
Junior
And1: 91

Post#23 » by paulius33 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:27 pm

USA
SPAIN
LITHUANIA/ FRANCE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulius33
Junior

Post#24 » by paulius33 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 pm

some you have Canada getting a medal???? lmao come on not yet

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#25 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Nothing funny about Olynyk, Thompson, Wiggins, Heslip, Stauskas, C. Joseph, playing together. Young, certainly, still a contender. You can't deny the talent and young ambition of that team.
paulius33
Junior

Post#26 » by paulius33 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Nothing funny about Olynyk, Thompson, Wiggins, Heslip, Stauskas, C. Joseph, playing together. Young, certainly, still a contender. You can't deny the talent and young ambition of that team.

this team will win silver/bronze in the Olympics? Will be lucky to come in 5-8 spots

If this was Fiba Americas then yea a medal is realistic, but Olympics? with all the great European teams? nah

UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#27 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm

paulius33 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Nothing funny about Olynyk, Thompson, Wiggins, Heslip, Stauskas, C. Joseph, playing together. Young, certainly, still a contender. You can't deny the talent and young ambition of that team.

this team will win silver/bronze in the Olympics? Will be lucky to come in 5-8 spots

If this was Fiba Americas then yea a medal is realistic, but Olympics? with all the great European teams? nah

How many European teams will there be? Only Eurobasket finalists qualify for Olympics directly, and then there is 3 Q tournament spots.Last Olympics we had 4 Euro teams plus host Great Britain.

What Euro teams will qualify for Olympics. Probably Spain, France, Serbia. and 1 or 2 out of Croatia, Lithuania, Greece, and others.... Canada could beat any of those teams on a good day, and can easily squeeze into Top 3.

I am not saying they will, but its a legitimate possibility.
paulius33
Junior

Post#28 » by paulius33 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
paulius33 wrote:

How many European teams will there be? Only Eurobasket finalists qualify for Olympics directly, and then there is 3 Q tournament spots.Last Olympics we had 4 Euro teams plus host Great Britain.

What Euro teams will qualify for Olympics. Probably Spain, France, Serbia. and 1 or 2 out of Croatia, Lithuania, Greece, and others.... Canada could beat any of those teams on a good day, and can easily squeeze into Top 3.

I am not saying they will, but its a legitimate possibility.

I've watched Fiba basketball every summer since 2001 bc Im Lithuanian, and I can tell you that the line up you named will not beat power houses of Spain, France, Lithuania, Serbia.

Seems like you're really under estimating European basketball, teams that have been playing together for years, teams that are ranked top 5 in Fiba Rankings, and you expect a newly fresh Canadian team, with a bunch of 19-22 year olds just knock out these veteran teams? I'm sorry but I will have to disagree

UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:58 pm

paulius33 wrote:
I've watched Fiba basketball every summer since 2001 bc Im Lithuanian, and I can tell you that the line up you named will not beat power houses of Spain, France, Lithuania, Serbia.

Seems like you're really under estimating European basketball, teams that have been playing together for years, teams that are ranked top 5 in Fiba Rankings, and you expect a newly fresh Canadian team, with a bunch of 19-22 year olds just knock out these veteran teams? I'm sorry but I will have to disagree

I don't think Im underrating Euro teams, I am a huge Euro fanboy. I think you are underrating NBA talent tho.

I find too young argument to be very slippery. Remember 2009 Eurobasket, when Serbia won silver medal with bunch of 21 year olds. You can win with young people, you just need to have talent.

A lot of those Canadian guys played together for years now too. You mentioned you are Lithuanian (its obvious to me because of your username). Canada's chemistry is no worse than 2010's Lithuania's, who won bronze. That Lithuanian team had a bunch of guys with limited National team backstory and experience (Klimavicius, Pocius and Seibutis (at the time), Andriuskevicius...) They won because they clicked, played up tempo and had true go to scorer in Kleiza. Is there a reason why Canada couldn't do that. Wiggins already gaining go to scorers experience in Minny, he will get extra through FIBA America's. Thompson is hustle guy and those are always valuable, he showcased his clutch and readiness in these years play offs. Olynyk and heslip are your prototypical Euroesque players, their game will surely translate. Canada has all the tools.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#30 » by mojo13 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm

There is more there too - Robert Sacre for some beef. Andrew Nicholson for some offense off the bench. Tyler Ennis as a back up PG. Dwight Powell as a big young, versitile forward. And more on the way - Trey Lyles as as nice strech 4. Oliver Hanlan (PG/SG), Jamal Murray etc. They could be 12-18 NBA players deep by 2016.

The NBA level talent is there and they have all played some international ball through the youth system. However, I agree (as a Canadian) that they will be too young (almost everyone is below 25) and too inexperienced to be a realistic medal favorite. They might be able to luck out and I think they will be able to compete with most every team not named USA. Canada played many good Euro teams last summer preparing for the WCs (Turkey, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Ukraine, Georgia, Italy, Spain), Canada used an exhibition team that had less than half their main guys and the only team Canada seemed outmatched by was Spain. To me they were far better than Ukraine and Georgia and right there with Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia.

However, I for one, see a huge difference in FIBA ball and the NBA ball with certain rules purposely set up to favor the team-play oriented and less athletic Euro teams. The clutching and grabbing, physiccalness, the wide key, no defensive 3 second rule, shorter three point line all seem like rules meant to try to contain the uber-athletisim of the USA. Rules purposely set up to help give the Euro teams a fighting chance when they are terrbily overmatched athletically. The USA can overcome these shackles because they just are too good, too deep and taking FIBA ball seriously in the last 8 years.

However, this impacts Canada hugely as their main advantage over Euro teams is better athletes (not USA level, but still much better). Wiggins is going to get beaten up by the Euro teams (and South American teams). He will be such an obvious target that I am afraid for him. At least with the US team in the Wcs last summer, the cheap shots (specifically the game against Lithuania) were spead out across the team. Rudy Gay and Demarcus Cousins seemed to get the worst of it.

I understand you have to do what you can within the rules to try to win - but FIBA ball can be a really ugly game. More rugby than basketball sometimes. That's my main view why Canada will really struggle to medal. 2016 seems out of the question but 2020 when the boys are actually men, they will have a much better shot to fight through the physicalness of FIBA ball.
paulius33
Junior

Post#31 » by paulius33 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:00 am

UcanUwill wrote:
paulius33 wrote:

I don't think Im underrating Euro teams, I am a huge Euro fanboy. I think you are underrating NBA talent tho.

I find too young argument to be very slippery. Remember 2009 Eurobasket, when Serbia won silver medal with bunch of 21 year olds. You can win with young people, you just need to have talent.

A lot of those Canadian guys played together for years now too. You mentioned you are Lithuanian (its obvious to me because of your username). Canada's chemistry is no worse than 2010's Lithuania's, who won bronze. That Lithuanian team had a bunch of guys with limited National team backstory and experience (Klimavicius, Pocius and Seibutis (at the time), Andriuskevicius...) They won because they clicked, played up tempo and had true go to scorer in Kleiza. Is there a reason why Canada couldn't do that. Wiggins already gaining go to scorers experience in Minny, he will get extra through FIBA America's. Thompson is hustle guy and those are always valuable, he showcased his clutch and readiness in these years play offs. Olynyk and heslip are your prototypical Euroesque players, their game will surely translate. Canada has all the tools.

I respect your opinion, and you made a good point about 2010 Lithuanian team that brought home bronze. That was one of the years we as a country didn't expect much from them bc of a young roster, and they did it...man oh man was it fun to watch that hungry young team. That being said, I respect that you know guys like Klimavicius, and especially Andriuskevicius lol.

Time will tell tho, by 2016 wiggins, TT, etc could be on another level and could carry that team so we shall see my friend

Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#32 » by Hogified05 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:59 am

Croatia might be a serious threat in 2020. Bender, Saric and Hezonja. Not sure if they have any PGs but that's not a bad 3 to start with.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:12 am

Hogified05 wrote:Croatia might be a serious threat in 2020. Bender, Saric and Hezonja. Not sure if they have any PGs but that's not a bad 3 to start with.

I remember thinking the same thing about Italy 10 years ago. Bellineli, Bargnani, Gallinari, DaTome and Mancinelli were all young and promising. I thought they could be a powerhouse in no time. We all know how that turned out.

Just saying, I also think Croatia will be very good in no time, but you never know.
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 148

Post#34 » by pohani komarac » Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:17 am

I can't remeber forum name but I rember dicusion with some Italin there. General boards or something. He was ultra hyped about Italians in NBA as Italy never before had good NBA players. Jet they were hack of team on International level, winnig medals. I told him fact you will have NBA players does not mean you will medal at any competitions, but he said he does not care all he wannts good Italian NBA players that will rise Italian basketball. Turned out Italian basketball hit downhill. Croatia and Serbia had similar expiriance .

On other hand France and Spain had oposite

we will just have to wait and see
Universe
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#35 » by Universe » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm a huge Canadian basketball fan, but our team probably won't even qualify for the Olympics. If we are taking about women, then yes we will medal.
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#36 » by Chalk1 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 7:33 am

It's interesting because teams like Turkey, Canada, Australia and Croatia have a lot of young talent coming up, but for the most part it looks like '16 will be too early for these teams. 2019 and 2020 could get really interesting though.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#37 » by Von Bismarck » Sun Jul 5, 2015 9:41 pm

Yeah, 2020 seem realistic for Croatia. Hezonja will be 24, Saric will be 25 and Bender will be 21-22. Also they will have Bogdanovic as an experienced Euroleague/NBA player, he will be 30 then, Tomic will be 31-32, good years for a center. Also with the likes of other above average young players such as Zubac (C), Zizic (C), Arapovic (PF) Mazalin (PG) and with some guys who will be average European players such as Nik Slavica (Tweener), Bozic (PG-G), I think Croatia has the bright future.

To be honest there's no team in Europe with such a talent from 94-97. Greece and Turkey also have good players in that generations but not as good. Internationally, definitely Australia and Canada, excluding the US of course.
Chalk1
Rookie

Post#38 » by Chalk1 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 1:02 am

Turkey 94-98

Kenan Sipahi
Cedi Osman
James Birsen
Emircan Kosut
Egemen Guven
Berk Ugurlu
Ayberk Olmaz
Okben Ulubay
Tolga Gecim
Furkan Korkmaz
Omer Yurtseven

2012 U16 Euro Champs
2013 U18 Euro Champs
2014 U20 Euro Champs
2014 U18 Euro Champs
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#39 » by Von Bismarck » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:19 am

Still nowhere near good as Croatia. Korkmaz, Sipahi and Osman are good but nowhere near the likes of Saric, Hezonja or Bender.
Chalk1
Rookie

Post#40 » by Chalk1 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:39 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:Still nowhere near good as Croatia. Korkmaz, Sipahi and Osman are good but nowhere near the likes of Saric, Hezonja or Bender.

Pretty crazy how Turkey's young talent is "nowhere" near Croatia's yet they've won 4 of the most recent youth competitions in Europe since 2012, while Croatia has only won one (2012 U18). Also it was other players like Okben Ulubay and Egemen Guven who were the tourney MVPs in two of those tourneys. Turkey's young talent runs deep.

Also, moving forward Turkey will have a better set of veterans like Asik, Kanter, Ilyasova, Aldemir and Preldzic to help usher in the new generation.

Return to International Basketball