Image Image Image Image

Cubs and Price

TheEnforcer20
Freshman
And1: 11

Cubs and Price 

Post#1 » by TheEnforcer20 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 pm

heard on local sports-talk that Cubs are after Price but are trying to get him to sign an extension prior to a trade, has anyone else heard this????
I never thought I’d lead the NBA in rebounding, but I got a lot of help from my team-mates – they did a lot of missing.

-Moses Malone
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Cubs and Price 

Post#2 » by SpinninHouse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 am

Not gonna happen unless we pony up $200M. The going rate on elite SP1's is $30M/yr now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Re: Cubs and Price 

Post#3 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:24 am

I think we're interested, but the fact that we would have to give up something of value for a rental when we're looking at a one game playoff as best case scenario makes it unlikely to happen.

Do I think Price gets a huge offer from us in the offseason? Yes. Do I think we make a serious move now? No.

Hamels is the only major name I can see us making a play for because what we give up is offset by the fixed price for the next few years.

I see us getting another starter, but it's going to be a backend starter that doesn't cost us much.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#4 » by Howling Mad » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:45 am

BIGS

Bryant
Soler
Russell

Tier 1

Schwarber
Baez
Happ
Almora

Tier 2

Vogelbach
Carl's Jr.
Sczur

It's going to take at least one tier 1 prospect to bag an elite starter, maybe even two or one guy that has been in the bigs for most of the season. I'm not willing to part with that much treasure. If we wait until the summer we can sign an elite sp, outright without sacrificing assets. I like that move much better.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#5 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50 pm

The Cubs were never giving up anything for a guy they'd love to just sign in the winter (and are expected to go after him hard, not meaning they'll get him). Especially this season. The Cubs are playing well and somewhat overachieving from what they hoped to be. They're not going to mortgage the future on a rental to maybe get the 2nd wild card spot. If they still get it, awesome. The original plan was "WS contenders" in 2017. Maybe move that up to 2016 now. But it's not this season.

I want Price. I've wanted Price. Maddon seems to have a good relationship. I expect a big bag of money waiting for Price on the north side in the winter if he so chooses to take it.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#6 » by Howling Mad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 am

I think Price has been T'd up for awhile. I hope it pans out in a fairy tale ending.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#7 » by ptpablo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Watch out for Boston. I bet they offer Scherzer money at least. If the budget allows to keep Arrietta and sign Price I do it.

Price
Arrietta
Lester
Hammels
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#8 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:23 pm

It depends on the order the pitchers sign in. I don't see the Cubs spending Scherzer money on Price or anyone else. If they were going to do that why didn't they just sign Scherzer? With Price, Greinke, Zimmerman and Cueto all out there as legitimate ace pitchers they will, hopefully, get the best bargain out of the group. If somehow they all manage to get more than the FO is willing to pay they could end up signing Iwakuma or Buehrle to a 1 year deal. Someone like Iwakuma would slot in very well behind Arrieta and Lester.

The offense should be significantly better next season with the rookies having a year under their belt and a full season of Schwarber. They don't need to upgrade the pitching much to be a 95 win team. They could just re-sign Fowler and a get a pitcher like Latos, if they think they can fix him, or Iwakauma and it could be enough to win the division and the World Series. They technically have enough to win the World Series this year if everything clicks during the playoffs.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#9 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Price will sign first and be the starting domino (Greinke's camp has said he'll opt-out to re-sign with the Dodgers so I don't think we can pencil him as "available". Basically doing what C.C. Sabathia did with the Yankees having opt-out clauses to get paid more quickly). Then someone will overpay for Zimmermann, Cueto, etc. because they lost out. Basically how the Padres did with James Shields and have been regretting it since about a week later.

I'd be totally down with Iwakuma if Price doesn't end up with the Cubs. I'm not a fan of paying Zimmermann a lot of money if he's the potential consolation prize. I really think Buehrle, if he leaves Toronto, will go back to the White Sox (they can't stop kicking themselves for paying Danks instead), though, I'd love to see him on the North Side.

As for Fowler, he's probably priced himself out of the Cubs plans, unfortunately. Someone's going to give him a lot of money to be their leadoff man.

It'll be a good, but not epic offseason. By that I mean the Cubs will go after their targets like a SP, bullpen help and a utility man, but overall, they have most of what they need going forward thanks to good foundation building by Theo & Jed.

My guess would be they'll go after Price hard, but leave their options open. If they get any inkling he's not coming or is hemming and hawing taking his time, they might move on to the next option quickly. They still could come away with an ace type AND a 4th/5th starter type on a short deal as well. Haren won't be back and Hendricks isn't exactly irreplaceable if they can upgrade.

Return to Chicago Cubs