[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2015 Starting QB Watch

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:44 pm

I really hope this isn't the end of it:

“We’ll go into the season with Robert as the No. 1 guy,” Gruden said Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine. “It’s up to Robert to continue to grow and mature as a quarterback. In the future, we want to see some improvement, and it’s up to us as a staff to get the most out of him.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

:nonono:

Just giving him the job is the wrong way to go IMO.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: Official 2015 Starting QB Watch 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Let’s examine the chain of events and see whether we can figure out what happened. At the end of a 4-12 season, Gruden announced about his quarterback, “Until that position is earned, you have to have a competition.” Griffin hadn’t earned it: He was still struggling to master the offense and make reads and needed a ton of work on his mechanics, which left the door open for Kirk Cousins or Colt McCoy.

But just a few days later, Griffin gave an interview to ESPN 980 that showed he and his coach were not at all on the same page about that. During Super Bowl week, Griffin was asked what made Tom Brady and Russell Wilson great. Hit rewind and listen. He didn’t focus on their mechanics. Or the intelligence of their reads. Or their exhaustive film study. Here was his answer. “I think it just comes with the organizational support that they have as well to be the players they are, to understand that this is our guy no matter what,” he said.

He then cited Wilson throwing four interceptions in the NFC championship game yet coming back to beat the Packers. “I think that guy knows in the back of his head that the entire team has his back and the entire organization has his back. And I think that’s important. . . . I can take different pieces of their game, but I also understand the situations that they’re in and try to take that as well and know that this is how you build a winner. This is how you build a family-like atmosphere. And that’s what we’re trying to do with the Redskins, and that’s what I want to be a part of.”

An oft-injured quarterback who just turned 25 — who has gone 5-15 as a starter over his past two seasons and has glaring weaknesses in both physical performance and temperament — believed the main thing separating him from Brady and Wilson was organizational support. And he wanted a similar unconditional commitment from his team.

Guess what? He got it.

He got it just two days after a report surfaced that Cousins was spending time studying with Jon Gruden, brother-analyst of the head coach, in order to grasp the system better and compete for the starting job.

This is how the franchise operates under owner Dan Snyder and why nothing ever gets any better. Behind every nonsensical, destructive decision, you find Snyder empowering exactly the wrong person because he is his pet.

Read the rest here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

:banghead:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:46 pm

A day after Washington Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan wouldn't rule out drafting a quarterback with the No. 5 overall pick, coach Jay Gruden reiterated there would be no hesitation to snag a signal-caller if there was consensus in the draft room.

"It's something we have to talk about in-house," Gruden said Wednesday at the NFL Annual Meeting when asked if taking a quarterback would be starting over at the game's most important position, per CSN Washington. "If we think it's worth the risk to hit the reset button, if he's that good of a football player, if we decide in the building that he's that good of a football player that we think we should do that, then we should do that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... tton-at-qb
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#4 » by W. Unseld » Sat May 16, 2015 4:23 am

good thread, albeit depressing
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#5 » by FreeBalling » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I can't imagine why people aren't more pissed off at Robert Griffin III

What made RG3 successful in Little League football?
What made RG3 successful in high school?
What made RG3 successful in college?
What made RG3 successful in his first year in the NFL ?

The Redskins wasted all those pics on a guy that wants to do something different now. His focus is not on what got him to the NFL it's what he wants to become in the NFL

Another year of RG3 aka check down success.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#6 » by FreeBalling » Wed Jul 1, 2015 4:29 pm

There were comments on the Wizards board about the Redskins. Basketball fans talking football. Who ever that mod was that forced change.

I told you so...

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:38 pm

FreeBalling wrote:There were comments on the Wizards board about the Redskins. Basketball fans talking football. Who ever that mod was that forced change.

I told you so...

Take it up with Howard Mass and RealGM management. They went through the trouble and expense of building out these separate forums for the other sports, so it's understandable that they would implement policies aimed at driving traffic where they want it to go.

Even taking my moderator role out of it, I've always thought it was silly that people would stop posting just because it takes literally one more click to go to a different screen. And the same exact people will continue to post in all types of places (General Board, Trade Board, etc.) that require them to go somewhere other than the Wizards forum to discuss certain topics. Completely and indefensibly silly IMO.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#8 » by FreeBalling » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:40 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:There were comments on the Wizards board about the Redskins. Basketball fans talking football. Who ever that mod was that forced change.

I told you so...

Take it up with Howard Mass and RealGM management. They went through the trouble and expense of building out these separate forums for the other sports, so it's understandable that they would implement policies aimed at driving traffic where they want it to go.

Even taking my moderator role out of it, I've always thought it was silly that people would stop posting just because it takes literally one more click to go to a different screen. And the same exact people will continue to post in all types of places (General Board, Trade Board, etc.) that require them to go somewhere other than the Wizards forum to discuss certain topics. Completely and indefensibly silly IMO.

Hi Rico, your comment tells me you are not a web developer. The topic is called Human Computer Interaction (HCI). Is the interface designed around humans working on computers or computers working with humans? The Real GM sites all have the same look and feel and that is very cost affective for the owner of the site. However, the users visiting the Real GM have different wants and needs.

Are basketball and hockey fans the same? I would say they vastly different. In my opinion the physchology behind designing a web site for hockey fans would have a differen look and feel. This a a great example of why sites fail.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Rico's 100% correct, and I don't understand the mindset of those who actually sounded angry about Howard's decision. It's just a click away, for jeebus sakes. Taking umbrage with this is theater of the absurd.

As for QB, the team is going about it the way I would. There were no top QBs in the draft, so the draft wasn't really an option this offseason, and going for a veteran wouldn't have made much sense unless your goal was to try to be a .500 team. Do I think RG3 is the answer for the future? Probably not, but possibly yes. It doesn't hurt to give him one more year - considering the options. In the meantime, they're building the infrastructure - if you will - so that if they draft a top QB prospect next year, that QB will have a better chance at success.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:As for QB, the team is going about it the way I would. There were no top QBs in the draft, so the draft wasn't really an option this offseason, and going for a veteran wouldn't have made much sense unless your goal was to try to be a .500 team. Do I think RG3 is the answer for the future? Probably not, but possibly yes. It doesn't hurt to give him one more year - considering the options. In the meantime, they're building the infrastructure - if you will - so that if they draft a top QB prospect next year, that QB will have a better chance at success.

Alright, back on topic! :D

I agree, the opportunities to get another QB weren't there this offseason, so taking one last shot with Griffin makes sense. But I'd actually like to see some more of Kirk, too. So if Griffin is just okay after 6 or 8 weeks, not the worst we've seen from him but no dramatic improvement, unless the team is on some sort of win streak I want them to see if Kirk can break through.

I've seen enough of Colt.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#11 » by FreeBalling » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:13 am

RG3 is a tier 4 QB, 28 out of 32. I'm surprised he's still starting. I guess Dan needs another season of Robert to show the fan how wrong we are.

How can we have the same 3 qb's? Jay wants McCoy, Dan wants RG and a large section of the fans wants Cousins... Talk about messed up.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:58 pm

FreeBalling wrote:RG3 is a tier 4 QB, 28 out of 32. I'm surprised he's still starting. I guess Dan needs another season of Robert to show the fan how wrong we are.

How can we have the same 3 qb's? Jay wants McCoy, Dan wants RG and a large section of the fans wants Cousins... Talk about messed up.

I gotta blame it mainly on the past regime(s) leaving the cup board naked. I love the new GM. He inherited a roster with a sad amount of talent. This offseason, GMSM has revamped the roster for nearly the entire defense and done a few talent upgrades on offense, but you can't fix the entire roster mess in 1 offseason. I like that he didn't force using resources on the QB position - in a year where the draft was supposedly barren of QBs - and there weren't good young QBs available in free agency or trade. So when we get a new QB probably next offseason, he'll have a legitimate team around him. He'll be set up for success rather than failure. Of course, ya never know - RG3 might surprise us and play well. We might as well give him this one last chance.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:48 pm

Less than a week away from the first preseason game, Colt McCoy says "Don't forget about me!" :D

Colt McCoy had an impressive touchdown pass from inside the red zone as well. He got a bad shotgun snap, and the ball hit the ground. McCoy scooped up the ball, then quickly threw back across his body to rookie receiver Evan Spencer, who made a diving catch in the front of the end zone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/08/07/observations-from-day-9-at-redskins-training-camp/?tid=pm_sports_pop_b
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#14 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:54 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/631235177033764864[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/631234048560529408[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/631234287841325056[/tweet]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Wizardspride wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/631235177033764864[/tweet]

Interesting stuff. Jay understands the situation - and that he made his bed last year by being negative. Being negative was a disaster, so let's try being overwhelmingly positive. There's nothing to lose. If it doesn't work (and it probably won't), he can at least legitimately say he gave it every chance to work. He tried everything.

Kirk's another story. I really don't get him. Ever since he's been here, he's bent over backwards to say this is RG3's team, but if he took advantage of the playing time he got last year, they'd have to at least consider giving him a chance to be the starter this year. I think it got into his head that no matter how well he played, he'd never be number 1 year. And it's a self-fulfulling prophecy - he threw enough ugly interceptions to make it so. And quite frankly, why would another team give him a chance to be their starter after seeing the ints he threw? Then again, playing devil's advocate, many QB's who went on to be successful pretty much sucked their first 3 years. Kirk has the arm and smarts to excel in the NFL. He'll get a look from someone.

Colt - he just doesn't have the big arm, and he's got a small frame that's not built to take big hits. Otoh, if the offensive line comes around, maybe you can surprise with Colt. But he's in his 30's, and it's pretty much now or never.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#16 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/631235177033764864[/tweet]

Interesting stuff. Jay understands the situation - and that he made his bed last year by being negative. Being negative was a disaster, so let's try being overwhelmingly positive. There's nothing to lose. If it doesn't work (and it probably won't), he can at least legitimately say he gave it every chance to work. He tried everything.

According to Chris Cooley, Jay's positivity is genuine.

Robert is having a much better camp than he did last season.

According to sources he's been the best QB there by miles.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:46 pm

I just hope that's the way it stays, but it's not likely a QB who seemed so fundamentally flawed last year can become a good QB the next - playing in basically the same system. I would LOVE to be wrong.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:I just hope that's the way it stays, but it's not likely a QB who seemed so fundamentally flawed last year can become a good QB the next - playing in basically the same system. I would LOVE to be wrong.

Agree on the fundamentals. But this is the first time RG3 has gone into the second year of a system fully healthy, so maybe stuff is clicking for him now. We also can't underestimate the influence of guys like Bill Callahan and Matt Cavanaugh IMO. Hopefully they've also been able to fill in some gaps for him.

Also, do we know if he worked with Terry Shea again this offseason? Or was he working with the Washington coaches more?
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#19 » by W. Unseld » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I thought RG3 looked okay, the speed isn't back but seemed better than last year. He took some serious hits last night but did a good job of keeping his eyes down the field. The Garcon drop is partially on RG for throwing over the wrong shoulder.

Cousins looked sick last night but it was against the 2nd string in preseason. OTOH, Cousins had the 2nd string line as well and did a great job getting the ball out of his hands making quick accurate reads. As this semi-amusing article points out though he didn't have to overcome any adversity either:
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/08/14/snider-no-redskins-quarterback-debate-but-griffin-must-improve/

Poor Colt is a solid back up, and a great locker room guy, not sure why he's always the first discussed qb cut.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Colt will make the team. Considering how often RG3's gotten injured - and Cousins inconsistencies, you have to keep 3 QB's on this team.

Return to Washington Football Team