ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1101 » by Induveca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:37 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Blairs main work out is how many reps he can do to and from the buffet line.

Let's hope not this year. He used to be a very solid player, last year he was just too big. Hope to see his San Antonio form return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#1102 » by W. Unseld » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Tried "spinning" w/intervals thought it was hard as h*ll but looking around the class I'm concerned I won't drop much weight doing it. I definitely didn't drop weight doing yoga but thought it was helpful mentally and for injury prevention.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#1103 » by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:51 pm

I've become a fitbitter and obsessed with counting steps.
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,847

Post#1104 » by dckingsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:55 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Tried "spinning" w/intervals thought it was hard as h*ll but looking around the class I'm concerned I won't drop much weight doing it. I definitely didn't drop weight doing yoga but thought it was helpful mentally and for injury prevention.

So, getting more into the science, here is an overview of the study:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/a-12-hour-window-for-a-healthy-weight/?_r=0

I have used this with several athletes and been quite successful. One dropped over 50lbs over a year.

I combine this with another study - they had obese men do two 4 hour walks per week and then down to one 4 hour walk per week. They were able to go from obese to normal in terms of BMI.

So... combine the two and I think you would be moving in the right direction :)
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1105 » by dckingsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:58 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I've become a fitbitter and obsessed with counting steps.

http://www.annfammed.org/content/6/1/69.full.pdf

:) :) :)
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#1106 » by dobrojim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:42 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Tried "spinning" w/intervals thought it was hard as h*ll but looking around the class I'm concerned I won't drop much weight doing it. I definitely didn't drop weight doing yoga but thought it was helpful mentally and for injury prevention.

The most current research I've read on weight loss really discounts the importance
of exercise in the equation. It's really much more about reducing calories. I've slowed
down on the amount of exercise I do compared to 3-5 years ago. My weight hasn't
significantly changed because I am now eating better. One thing is I'm doing much
better at staying away from white food ie bread, pasta, rice, potato. Snacking less
and snacking healthier. I love hummus.

I still believe in exercise but not so much for weight control. It drives your
appetite through the ceiling making it hard (duh) to shed pounds.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,154

Post#1107 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:22 pm

You should aim to be healthy and not to lose weight. Your weight will be whatever it will be when you've settled in on an exercise regime and diet that you're comfortable with.

Don't eat any sugar, drink as little alcohol as you can, minimize animal proteins and animal fats. Eat more vegetables and nuts and less pasta and bread. Eat every three hours or so. Don't let yourself ever feel hungry - maintaining a constant blood sugar level is good in general and won't trigger your body's "hold on to all the fat for dear life!!!!" response. Exercise at various intensities - low, medium, high. You don't have to kill yourself every workout and that actually works against you if you get injured all the time (like I did).

These are all easily achievable things that don't require huge sacrifices of time or flavor. The one I'm mainly struggling with at the moment is alcohol. I love me my grapefruit shandy.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1108 » by dobrojim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:You should aim to be healthy and not to lose weight. Your weight will be whatever it will be when you've settled in on an exercise regime and diet that you're comfortable with.

what if you're morbidly obese? Seems to me you should aim to maintain a BMI in a reasonably normal range.

Zonkerbl wrote:Don't eat any sugar, drink as little alcohol as you can, minimize animal proteins and animal fats. Eat more vegetables and nuts and less pasta and bread.

You need to be more specific. Sugar is actually a very general term and is present in lots of healthy as well
as unhealthy food. Modest amounts of alcohol can be beneficial. There is nothing inherently wrong with
animal protein. Nuts are healthy but high calorie and easy to eat too much of. Some vegetables are much
better for you than others. For instance, compare raw broccoli to say sweet corn or white potato.

Zonkerbl wrote:Eat every three hours or so. Don't let yourself ever feel hungry - maintaining a constant blood sugar level is good in general and won't trigger your body's "hold on to all the fat for dear life!!!!" response. Exercise at various intensities - low, medium, high. You don't have to kill yourself every workout and that actually works against you if you get injured all the time (like I did).

If you eat the right foods, there is little reason to have to eat every 3 hours.

Zonkerbl wrote:These are all easily achievable things that don't require huge sacrifices of time or flavor. The one I'm mainly struggling with at the moment is alcohol. I love me my grapefruit shandy.

moderation

Induveca
Head Coach

Post#1109 » by Induveca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Gotta agree with dobrojim. I've been a bodybuilder for nearly a decade and lifting weights regularly since my teens.

You have to get your weight to a good BMI. Full body workouts 3 times a week and 10 laps in an Olympic pool while avoiding excess carbs will make all but the morbidly obese ripped in under a year . Everyone's metabolism is a bit different, so just find the calorie deficit/mean which works well.

Eating a lot of small protein packed meals works well if you're trying to build muscle, and if you weigh the meals precisely. But that's not a realistic approach for most people. But most fitness magazines and trainers push that,and they are geared towards body builders and hardcore fitness enthusiasts.

If you're overweight or your fat % is way too high, ignore those magazines. Just eat salads (with oil/vinegar/avocado) and a lean protein twice a day along with the 3 day a week full body routine. Even a baked potato every once and a while is fine.

Also get a Fitbit, hit 10k steps a day. I put on a little fat over the winter and made it evaporate in 3 weeks upping my workouts to 4 a week and doing a 5 day juice fast. (I've done a 3-4 day juice fast every month for years.)
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1110 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Induveca wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Blairs main work out is how many reps he can do to and from the buffet line.

Let's hope not this year. He used to be a very solid player, last year he was just too big. Hope to see his San Antonio form return.

Agreed.

Blair weighed 315 pounds while he was in college at Pitt, and that team made the Final Four.Every overweight person doesn't have dietary habits that are lax nor should they be reflexively criticized. Every person isn't thin. Also, every overweight person isn't a bad athlete. gambit, the guy's going to always battle his weight, most likely.

They should just look at how he plays if he comes in fitter than last season. I don't think it's realistic to expect Blair to weigh 250-260.
Bye bye Beal.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#1111 » by Induveca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:17 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Induveca wrote:

Agreed.

Blair weighed 315 pounds while he was in college at Pitt, and that team made the Final Four.Every overweight person doesn't have dietary habits that are lax nor should they be reflexively criticized. Every person isn't thin. Also, every overweight person isn't a bad athlete. gambit, the guy's going to always battle his weight, most likely.

They should just look at how he plays if he comes in fitter than last season. I don't think it's realistic to expect Blair to weigh 250-260.

Blair is an odd example. If bored, look up a Dr. Pappas. Blair hired the guy to help him break his "addiction" to poor food habits via hypnosis and "positive thinking". The article I found was from 2010 when he played with the Spurs. Seemed very odd.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,154

Post#1112 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Well, wait 'til you're forty and your arrogance will lessen.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1113 » by dckingsfan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:46 pm

dobrojim wrote:

The most current research I've read on weight loss really discounts the importance
of exercise in the equation. It's really much more about reducing calories. I've slowed
significantly changed because I am now eating better. One thing is I'm doing much
better at staying away from white food ie bread, pasta, rice, potato. Snacking less

It is about reducing calories AND about when you eat them. The studies show if you reduce calories but eat over an 18 hour window you will still increase your fat stores :(
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1114 » by dckingsfan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Induveca wrote:Gotta agree with dobrojim. I've been a bodybuilder for nearly a decade and lifting weights regularly since my teens.

You have to get your weight to a good BMI. Full body workouts 3 times a week and 10 laps in an Olympic pool while avoiding excess carbs will make all but the morbidly obese ripped in under a year . Everyone's metabolism is a bit different, so just find the calorie deficit/mean which works well.

Eating a lot of small protein packed meals works well if you're trying to build muscle, and if you weigh the meals precisely. But that's not a realistic approach for most people. But most fitness magazines and trainers push that,and they are geared towards body builders and hardcore fitness enthusiasts.

If you're overweight or your fat % is way too high, ignore those magazines. Just eat salads (with oil/vinegar/avocado) and a lean protein twice a day along with the 3 day a week full body routine. Even a baked potato every once and a while is fine.

Also get a Fitbit, hit 10k steps a day. I put on a little fat over the winter and made it evaporate in 3 weeks upping my workouts to 4 a week and doing a 5 day juice fast. (I've done a 3-4 day juice fast every month for years.)

If you are already in shape... your routine would work. Not so much for someone that has a very high BMI to start. Lots of studies about fat folks trying a weight lifting routine with limited long endurance work - and well, VERY limited success.

Maintenance is different than starting out obese and out of shape.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,070

Post#1115 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
dobrojim wrote:

It is about reducing calories AND about when you eat them. The studies show if you reduce calories but eat over an 18 hour window you will still increase your fat stores :(

Agreed. Once I hit 40, I found that I couldn't stay lean based on workouts alone. I had to adjust my diet.

My solution was to postpone breakfast and skip lunch. I now eat a large breakfast at about 10:30 each morning. I might have a few cheese-and-crackers or nuts for a snack at 2:00. I then eat dinner at 6:00. I go 16-17 hours until my next meal. It works great.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#1116 » by Induveca » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:43 pm

For whatever it's worth I'm right at 40. For anyone looking to keep weight off or reduce, I'd suggest a once a month 3-4 day juice fast. 5 days if you can handle it. And don't break the exercise routine.

It's pretty much what Nate is doing, but a different approach. Really helps with mental discipline.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1117 » by dobrojim » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:00 pm

Back to back days of good solid runs, 8 miles Tues and 6 last night. Feeling a lot less
like the slug I've been feeling like of late. Legs are a little dead and/or sore today so
I will swim on the way home.

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1118 » by dckingsfan » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:59 pm

Induveca wrote:For whatever it's worth I'm right at 40. For anyone looking to keep weight off or reduce, I'd suggest a once a month 3-4 day juice fast. 5 days if you can handle it. And don't break the exercise routine.

It's pretty much what Nate is doing, but a different approach. Really helps with mental discipline.

Except his is a daily routine.

Juice/soup fasts studies show the opposite correlation over the long-haul. But, there was a certain percentage of the population that they worked well for... so if it works for you - go for it.

For most - a 12 hour daily fast works best.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#1119 » by Induveca » Thu Sep 3, 2015 4:20 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Induveca wrote:For whatever it's worth I'm right at 40. For anyone looking to keep weight off or reduce, I'd suggest a once a month 3-4 day juice fast. 5 days if you can handle it. And don't break the exercise routine.

Juice/soup fasts studies show the opposite correlation over the long-haul. But, there was a certain percentage of the population that they worked well for... so if it works for you - go for it.

My daily routine is to be very careful about what I eat, and my routine for almost a decade and the last 3-4 years I've thrown in a monthly 3-4 day juice fast.

It works extremely well, for everyone, if done as part of a regular lifestyle routine (monthly, bi-monthly). For the obese or out of shape I don't think it's useful as most people are just losing water weight on the first fast. It's also usually done *one time* as a desperation move in their case, to avoid exercise.

I'm extremely fit and it helps keep off the extra pounds along with my typical diet and continued (albeit reduced) intense weightlifting schedule as I get older. I've done it 36-48 times on a monthly schedule. I attribute it, along with my normal solid diet, to keeping off any excess fat. It's also a great way to gain more discipline over your typical diet. Go 3-5 days without food each month (only healthy liquids) and it's a lot simpler to avoid a bag of Doritos, or pass on bread the other 26 days of the month.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1120 » by dckingsfan » Thu Sep 3, 2015 6:58 pm

Induveca wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

My daily routine is to be very careful about what I eat, and my routine for almost a decade and the last 3-4 years I've thrown in a monthly 3-4 day juice fast.

It works extremely well, for everyone, if done as part of a regular lifestyle routine (monthly, bi-monthly). For the obese or out of shape I don't think it's useful as most people are just losing water weight on the first fast. It's also usually done *one time* as a desperation move in their case, to avoid exercise.

I'm extremely fit and it helps keep off the extra pounds along with my typical diet and continued (albeit reduced) intense weightlifting schedule as I get older. I've done it 36-48 times on a monthly schedule. I attribute it, along with my normal solid diet, to keeping off any excess fat. It's also a great way to gain more discipline over your typical diet. Go 3-5 days without food each month (only healthy liquids) and it's a lot simpler to avoid a bag of Doritos, or pass on bread the other 26 days of the month.

yeah but... when longitudinal studies have been done for fasting - it has very mixed results. Just saying...

Great that it works for you. Great that you are super fit. Great that you watch what you eat. Just that fasting may have the opposite results for some than what you might think - for other people.

Juice only fasting for a period of more than one day can actually be detrimental for weight management - see the Mayo Clinic study.

Short-Term side effects can include headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness, fatigue, low blood pressure and abnormal heart rhythms - research done by the ACS.

Long-Term side effects can affect the immune system as well as the liver and kidneys - again the ACS

Return to Washington Wizards