[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2015 Starting QB Watch

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Official 2015 Starting QB Watch 

Post#61 » by LyricalRico » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Interesting, especially since Kevin Sheehan has also pointed to the Cleveland game in 2012 as a potential turning point in the relationship between Griffin and the Shanahans:

Four Downs
1) Where the wheels came off the bus for RGIII. Many folks look at Robert Griffin III's ACL tear in January of 2013 as the turning point for his career with the Washington Redskins. Those who were there actually believe the wheels started spinning off three weeks earlier. Subbing for an injured Griffin, Kirk Cousins threw for 329 yards and two touchdowns against Cleveland in December 2012, with Mike and Kyle Shanahan rearranging the offense from the Baylor-styled attack they'd built for RGIII into their more traditional scheme. Coaches there then remember Griffin's camp making noise after Cousins' breakout performance that RGIII wanted to be deployed more like Cousins was -- and less as a read-option quarterback. The staff explained to Griffin and Co. that he wasn't near the point he needed to be to play the position that way. Word got back to owner Daniel Snyder. Shanahan explained to Snyder that making Griffin a pro-style passer would be a four-to-five-year process. And after all that, Griffin blew out his knee, had a rough 2013 season to follow, and Shanahan was fired. Snyder stuck by his young quarterback after that, but over time, got the same assessment Shanahan initially gave him from others, like Jay Gruden and Scot McCloughan, and it became harder and harder to fight the idea that Griffin was just an incredibly raw prospect. Exacerbating the problem: The fact that, despite RGIII's stated desire to become a better pocket passer (Gruden's harped several times to me how much Griffin needs "reps"), the progress just hasn't come. In fact, to some degree, Griffin actually has regressed as a pocket quarterback. The Redskins are trying to figure out what happened now. Colt McCoy will be the No. 2 quarterback this week. The plan, from there, is to let Griffin try and earn his way back up the depth chart.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000525938/article/nfl-execs-weigh-in-aaron-rodgers-andrew-luck-rule-qb-roost
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#62 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:04 pm

No mo controversy about who should be the starting QB. Cousins understands that his role is more - not to lose games rather than winning games. He's completed 76% of his passes, but he's averaging only 6.9 yards per attempt - as many of the passes are just dump-offs. And that begs the question - should Morris play even less - since he's not a natural receiver as a RB? Jones and also Thompson seem to be more effective receivers. I'd actually like to see more of Thompson in that 3rd down back role - as he has the instant acceleration that the other 2 don't. It seem more and more clear that - as long as Jones stays healthy, he's a stud, and the likelihood of keeping Morris next season is very small.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#63 » by W. Unseld » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm sure Cousins has some stinker games left in him but right now it does feel more like a running back controversy then a qb controversy. Morris secures the ball better and I think is better when there is no room to work with, Jones obviously does more with any day light but I think Morris' catching has improved so it's a good 1-2 punch. I wish Thompson was Sproles explosive but I don't think he's there yet.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#64 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm

For me it's sad that we basically have a game manager as a QB. I want an Aaron Rodgers type, a guy who is your QB and the best player on your team. It is what it is at this point, I think the schedule is somewhat soft and I predicted 4-3 heading into the bye week. I'll have a better picture of what this team looks like in a couple of days.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Rafael122 wrote:For me it's sad that we basically have a game manager as a QB. I want an Aaron Rodgers type, a guy who is your QB and the best player on your team. It is what it is at this point, I think the schedule is somewhat soft and I predicted 4-3 heading into the bye week. I'll have a better picture of what this team looks like in a couple of days.

I'd love to have Rogers - already a sure thing as a first ballot HOFer, but there are only so many of his type. Even Luck - who's supposed to be the next big thing and ready to take over as the top QB of his generation - seems to have a major problem with turnovers. I like the way the Skins are going at it - remembering the 3 QBs the Skins won SB's with won because of the talent around them. Still, it's a long season, and we don't know if Cousins will play well enough to stop them from picking a QB next draft - though there doesn't seem to be any college QB that blows away the competition. Heck, who would have thought Rodgers would turn out so absurdly well? He was a good prospect worthy of mid to late 1st round status but honestly I thought Brady (6th rounder in an earlier draft) was a better QB prospect coming out of college.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#66 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:For me it's sad that we basically have a game manager as a QB. I want an Aaron Rodgers type, a guy who is your QB and the best player on your team. It is what it is at this point, I think the schedule is somewhat soft and I predicted 4-3 heading into the bye week. I'll have a better picture of what this team looks like in a couple of days.

I'd love to have Rogers - already a sure thing as a first ballot HOFer, but there are only so many of his type. Even Luck - who's supposed to be the next big thing and ready to take over as the top QB of his generation - seems to have a major problem with turnovers. I like the way the Skins are going at it - remembering the 3 QBs the Skins won SB's with won because of the talent around them. Still, it's a long season, and we don't know if Cousins will play well enough to stop them from picking a QB next draft - though there doesn't seem to be any college QB that blows away the competition. Heck, who would have thought Rodgers would turn out so absurdly well? He was a good prospect worthy of mid to late 1st round status but honestly I thought Brady (6th rounder in an earlier draft) was a better QB prospect coming out of college.

Keep your eye on Jared Goff.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Keep your eye on Jared Goff.

And he's from Aaron Rodger's school. I'd definitely take him over Cardale Jones.

Return to Washington Football Team