ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,972

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1141 » by dckingsfan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:34 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:Any serious bikers out there? Given re-occurring knee injuries, I am thinking about buying a nice road bike to replace running. I have done a ton research and I am looking at a Trek Domane 4.5 or 5.2. Not looking to race, but would like to 25-50 miles a week on the road, and possibly more. Want a comfortable bike that also can get some speed. The Domane's are expensive, but I want to get something that will make me want to ride. Any thoughts or recommendations? Any thoughts on clipless pedals v. flat?

I am a cycling coach - mostly juniors and old guys but a couple of national champions too.

The Domane is a good choice for endurance riding it is not too aggressive and with a decent bike fit you should be set. The ultegra drive train is a solid choice (although most bike shops are still trying to figure out how to deal with 11 speed). I like the Bontrager wheelset - depending on your weight.

There are three touchpoints on a bike. The handlebars, saddle and pedals. In addition to a bike fit, investing in a decent wrap on the bars and gel gloves is worthwhile. Getting a saddle that fits (and good shorts) are also key (some bike shops have a sit bone testing pad - I believe City Bikes has one). The correct width of the saddle and position are key there. Lastly shoes, you will be much more comfortable with clip-in pedals. Try to avoid spd MTB pedals - and try on shoes like your life depended on it. If your hands fall asleep, if your butt hurts or if you dog are yelling you will tend to ride less.

BTW, one of my old guys (mid-50s) has dropped 50lbs from last year. So, it is definitely doable. Also, depending on where you live, there are lots of group rides. A good weekend ride is a nice way to move forward.

One last thing - look into using a foam roller on your legs and calves after rides - lots of good videos online. You can start with a soft foam roller to start.

Best of luck!!!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1142 » by dckingsfan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:37 pm

dobrojim wrote:All that said, sometimes when I ride for more than about 2 hours, my knees are more
achy than if I had run.

Bike fit :)
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,333

Post#1143 » by dobrojim » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:17 pm

I don't believe fit is the issue. I've been on the same bike for ~10 years, Cannondale CAD4.
Everything was adjusted when I bought it. And I can ride distances reasonably well, I've just
gotten weak in my old age combined with the curtailment of one of my main sources of
mileage, bike commute from Reston to Bethesda.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1144 » by dckingsfan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 pm

dobrojim wrote:I don't believe fit is the issue. I've been on the same bike for ~10 years, Cannondale CAD4.
Everything was adjusted when I bought it. And I can ride distances reasonably well, I've just
gotten weak in my old age combined with the curtailment of one of my main sources of
mileage, bike commute from Reston to Bethesda.

1) Bike fit demands definitely change as we age.
2) Lack of mileage can be problematic if you then ride long distances... but

Just fit a 60 year old - looked at his old geometry, did the tests and found that he was too aggressive. We brought up the 100mm stem to 7 degrees and boom, no more knee issues. The problem in that case is that he lost flexibility over the last 8 years.

Just saying :)
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1145 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 1, 2015 1:05 am

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Holden-Qi-Workout-Am/dp/B003KO1JR6

I've tried this and a few other QiGong workouts. This one stands out among those I've tried. I highly recommend Lee Holden's AM workout.

I love Qi Gong because it's a healing workout. I immediately felt relief in my kidney, liver, and stomach regions when I started doing this routine. Much easier than yoga. Very beneficial.

http://www.chinahand.com/chikung/chikung1.htm

Here's one I would love to try:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018OZFOS?psc=1

Here's just one part of a review:

EXCELLENT QIGONG ROUTINES
By Patrick H. Dickson on June 24, 2008
Format: DVD

This DVD covers the 5 Animal Sports Qigong set that displays the movements and spirit of the Tiger, Bear, Monkey, Deer and Bird. Master Yang's daughter Kathy Yang helps to perform the set with her father. These five routines are far from short and simple. They are complex and long. Each of them in their own right would be a wonderful Qigong routine.

One of the important aspects of doing Qigong, Taijiquan and many other internal martial arts is intent. Without intent the moves become empty in meaning and lack focus, balance, rooting and power. These Qigong routines display the characteristics and spirit of the five animals, which brings life to these routines.

The DVD starts with a lecture by Master Yang on the history of the Five Animal Sports Qigong set. This is followed by discussions of the healing sounds, and their relationship to the Five Elements.

The five animals have their own sound in these routines and are linked to the five yin organs, the liver, kidney, spleen, heart and lungs. Emotions and their link and effect on the organs is explained.
Bye bye Beal.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#1146 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Oct 1, 2015 2:39 am

dckingsfan wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:Any serious bikers out there? Given re-occurring knee injuries, I am thinking about buying a nice road bike to replace running. I have done a ton research and I am looking at a Trek Domane 4.5 or 5.2. Not looking to race, but would like to 25-50 miles a week on the road, and possibly more. Want a comfortable bike that also can get some speed. The Domane's are expensive, but I want to get something that will make me want to ride. Any thoughts or recommendations? Any thoughts on clipless pedals v. flat?

I am a cycling coach - mostly juniors and old guys but a couple of national champions too.

The Domane is a good choice for endurance riding it is not too aggressive and with a decent bike fit you should be set. The ultegra drive train is a solid choice (although most bike shops are still trying to figure out how to deal with 11 speed). I like the Bontrager wheelset - depending on your weight.

There are three touchpoints on a bike. The handlebars, saddle and pedals. In addition to a bike fit, investing in a decent wrap on the bars and gel gloves is worthwhile. Getting a saddle that fits (and good shorts) are also key (some bike shops have a sit bone testing pad - I believe City Bikes has one). The correct width of the saddle and position are key there. Lastly shoes, you will be much more comfortable with clip-in pedals. Try to avoid spd MTB pedals - and try on shoes like your life depended on it. If your hands fall asleep, if your butt hurts or if you dog are yelling you will tend to ride less.

BTW, one of my old guys (mid-50s) has dropped 50lbs from last year. So, it is definitely doable. Also, depending on where you live, there are lots of group rides. A good weekend ride is a nice way to move forward.

One last thing - look into using a foam roller on your legs and calves after rides - lots of good videos online. You can start with a soft foam roller to start.

Best of luck!!!

Thank you dckingsfan. Great info.

I am curious why you say to avoid spd MTB pedals?

Also, the difference between the Domane 4.5 and the 5.2 is $1,000. The extra $1000 gives you full ultegra and slightly better carbon, whereas the 4.5 has Shimano 105 cassette, chain and brakeset (the rest is ultegra). Do you think its worth it to pay an extra $1000 for the full ultegra? Bike shops are saying yes because to change out later will be more expensive, but don't know if its just a sales pitch to get me to spend more.

Also, any thoughts on a beginner spending this much money for a road bike ($2500-$3500)? My wife thinks I'm crazy and says I should start off with a $1,000 or less bike and if I get hooked, then upgrade to a better bike. However, based on what I read, a $2500-$3500 road bike is still only a higher end entry or mid-level bike and I want to buy something that will make me want to ride (without breaking the bank). I also don't want to spend $1000 only to want to spend another $2500-3500 bike in a year or too.

Thanks again!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1147 » by dckingsfan » Thu Oct 1, 2015 1:07 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Best of luck!!!

Thank you dckingsfan. Great info.

I am curious why you say to avoid spd MTB pedals?

Also, the difference between the Domane 4.5 and the 5.2 is $1,000. The extra $1000 gives you full ultegra and slightly better carbon, whereas the 4.5 has Shimano 105 cassette, chain and brakeset (the rest is ultegra). Do you think its worth it to pay an extra $1000 for the full ultegra? Bike shops are saying yes because to change out later will be more expensive, but don't know if its just a sales pitch to get me to spend more.

Also, any thoughts on a beginner spending this much money for a road bike ($2500-$3500)? My wife thinks I'm crazy and says I should start off with a $1,000 or less bike and if I get hooked, then upgrade to a better bike. However, based on what I read, a $2500-$3500 road bike is still only a higher end entry or mid-level bike and I want to buy something that will make me want to ride (without breaking the bank). I also don't want to spend $1000 only to want to spend another $2500-3500 bike in a year or too.

Thanks again!

spd pedals (and cleats) are fine but they are small and tend to be less comfortable that other pedals. Also, they are easier to pull out of than many pedals (not little kids but teenagers sprinting up hills will come out of them). So, comfort & safety are the two reasons I cite. Some still use them because they can be used for spin classes. Others prefer them because they can ride somewhere and then walk around on the MTB shoes. But mainly this is a comfort issue - if you find shoes that are comfortable with the cleat you are set.

105 has traditionally been bomb proof vs. the more touch (and lighter) ultegra. I am sure Shimano wouldn't be happy to have that discussed. Given that you are using the bike to log miles and not to race - 105 is just fine. Especially 11 speed 105 which is very smooth (keep it smooth by lubing and cleaning your chain often.

One of the keys is the wheelset. If you can keep the lighter wheelset, that would be quite helpful.

As for the carbon - that is really hard to understand and monitor these days.

One last thing - go to a bike shop that knows how to do a bike fit :) See if they will include the fit - if not, it is well worth the cost. And as a wrap-up on comfort. Good gloves, good shorts, a properly sized saddle, comfortable shoes and you will want to be out on the bike.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1148 » by dobrojim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Ran my first marathon since 2013 Boston on Sunday. Did okay just missing a 2017 Boston Qualifier by a mere
7.5 seconds. This was my first post-High tibial osteotomy marathon and I firmly believe marathons are harder
than many ultras (up to an including 50 milers) so I was pleased to come so close to meeting my 2017 BQ time
(I'll be 60 by then so the time is more generous). And I really should have made the time with perhaps as much
as 5 minutes to spare for reasons that I won't go into unless called on to explain. It was a glorious day to run
a marathon and I am very fortunate to be able to do that again after some orthopeds had written me off as
far as distance running goes. Modern medical technology is awesome, if you can afford it or have good insurance.

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1149 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:53 pm

dobrojim wrote:Ran my first marathon since 2013 Boston on Sunday. Did okay just missing a 2017 Boston Qualifier by a mere
7.5 seconds. This was my first post-High tibial osteotomy marathon and I firmly believe marathons are harder
than many ultras (up to an including 50 milers) so I was pleased to come so close to meeting my 2017 BQ time
(I'll be 60 by then so the time is more generous). And I really should have made the time with perhaps as much
as 5 minutes to spare for reasons that I won't go into unless called on to explain. It was a glorious day to run
a marathon and I am very fortunate to be able to do that again after some orthopeds had written me off as
far as distance running goes. Modern medical technology is awesome, if you can afford it or have good insurance.

Explain yourself.

Unless it involves poop.

As an aside, my brother has gotten into fitness in a BIG way. He's been doing foundation training and lots of running on the beach. Back in June, he ran Santa Barbara's State Street Mile race in 4:45 and took 4th in his age group. Not bad.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1150 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:34 am

(less gross than the current conversation on random thoughts thread)

It does involve natural body functions. Runners will talk among themselves about this.

Biggest mistake was stopping my watch when I took a 'nature break'. I then didn't have
a precise enough idea of my time. That combined with a woman who told me just before
the mile 24 marker that I was at mile 24 when I had another 200-300 meters to go before
the marker that gave me a false sense of security. And earlier I had a shoe come untied
when I thought I had double knotted it and my fingers didn't work well at retying it so
that took longer than it should have. It was a combination of factors.

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#1151 » by Kanyewest » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:48 pm

I did a 20 K on my own last week. I guess it was too much too soon as I hurt my foot running; the pain appeared about 24 hours after running. I will try to keep in shape doing weights but I look to lower the distance significantly when I run next. I would rather improve my speed at this point than increase my distance.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1152 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:30 pm

ice

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#1153 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I did a 20 K on my own last week. I guess it was too much too soon as I hurt my foot running; the pain appeared about 24 hours after running. I will try to keep in shape doing weights but I look to lower the distance significantly when I run next. I would rather improve my speed at this point than increase my distance.

After a long run, lie down on the floor with your legs propped straight up against a wall for about 5 minutes. The blood drains out of your feet and legs until they tingle. Then lower your legs to the floor and fresh blood rushes in. It helps clear out the lactic acid and seems to reduce soreness in your calves and feet.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1154 » by dobrojim » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:44 pm

or soak in a bath tub in the coldest water you can stand for about 10 minutes.
I find this to work in a damn near miraculous manner.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1155 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:11 pm

dobrojim wrote:or soak in a bath tub in the coldest water you can stand for about 10 minutes.
I find this to work in a damn near miraculous manner.

Yes. That works very well too. It's just a bit of a pain. Gotta grab all the ice in the freezer and throw it in the bathtub.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1156 » by Kanyewest » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:25 am

Thanks for the advice- I will look into cold water bath. For now, I have been icing it and I've seen some improvement. I'm a little nervous about running with it and injuring it further though.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1157 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Thanks for the advice- I will look into cold water bath. For now, I have been icing it and I've seen some improvement. I'm a little nervous about running with it and injuring it further though.

How you treat the injury depends more on what type of injury it is...

Example: a micro fracture in the bone would be treated with ice and then immobilizing the affected area. A facial injury and after 48 hours of the initial injury you switch to heat (prolonged use of ice on facial injuries causes tears).

The feet are more fascia and bone than muscle and the diagnosis tells you how to treat the injury.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1158 » by dobrojim » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't usually add ice to the bath. In fact, I may start filling the tub with lukewarm water
just a little before turning off the hot and filling the rest with straight cold. Depends on
the time of year.

Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1159 » by Kanyewest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 pm

It looks my foot has healed. My goals for the next month are to be able to run 2 miles in 16 minutes and 5 miles in 45 minutes. And as a bonus I want to gain a little weight by doing weights.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1160 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:40 pm

I ran into this old dude at the gym. My man was doing pull ups, unassisted. He did 3 sets of 6. I was extremely impressed. (I had noticed him doing free weight squats last week, which is unusual for an old guy.) I struck up a conversation with him and he told me he was 70 years old. He said he has been lifting for years but just recently got into running and ran his first 4-mile race last weekend. He ran it in 30:16 and beat the second fastest guy in his age group by 4 minutes!

This guy is my new role model. I hope I can be that fit when I'm his age.

In other news, I just got back from a 5-mile run. I warmed up the first .75 miles and warmed down for the last .25. I went hard in the middle 4 miles and held a 6:57 pace. It's the first time this season that I held a sub-7:00 pace for 4 miles or more. (This was a workout run, not a race or anything.) It feels good to be healthy. I'm experiencing no nagging injuries at the moment.

Return to Washington Wizards