Around the NFL

Moderator: HMFFL

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Around the NFL 

Post#41 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Kap threw a couple stinkers from the pocket out there yesterday that I think NFL QBs should be able to make.

I thought Hyde was their shining star more than anything.
But Kap did look solid making some plays on the move/ out of the pocket…no debate there.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#42 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Do you know who is really sucking right now? Peyton Manning.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#43 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Yeah, it was one game but I can see an injury knocking him out of a game and them making the change to Oswieler or whatever his name is. Dude looks Big strong and mobile. Not sure we as Raider fans want that.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#44 » by FNQ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Do you know who is really sucking right now? Peyton Manning.

They are back to running gun-style offense, so Manning sucking is over.

He isn't as good as the past 2 years, but he's still a top 5 QB. Denver is still the top of the heap in the AFC West, and I don't think they will be within our reach this year due to their defense. The good news is that this is likely the last year for them. A lot of pay raises are due next year, and if Manning stays they can't afford all of them. If Manning goes, they look like a below average team offensively.

BTW, Kap looks spent. I mean, just brutal looks. Pryor-ish looks. He should convert to WR soon, where I think he would be very interesting.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#45 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:35 pm

From PFF's BEST PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION FOR WEEK 3:

Quarterback: Carson Palmer, Cardinals (+7.2)

Palmer tore the 49ers defense apart, even if his receivers didn’t help him out, dropping four balls. (Although Larry Fitzgerald is having a great start to the season.) Palmer has elevated his play since returning from injury, and that should worry the entire NFC.

Two and a half years after the Raiders gave him away...

Mind you I would rather have Carr than Palmer right now, but I never understood why we were so eager to ditch this guy when 1) our replacements were worse, and 2) we didn't save any money for dumping him.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#46 » by FNQ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:40 pm

It took the Cardinals 3 years to build around him... and its week 3

We actually did save money, we just didnt save immediate money. He would have been destroyed behind a patchwork line, all the while not being in the market for a starting QB during drafts. Not to mention, his fragility, which is a big reason the Cardinals are always a huge preseason bet, but never live up to it. We got what the market dictated he was worth. Which is pretty damning for Hue Jackson.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#47 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:24 pm

We climbed 8 spots from 28 to 20 in the NFL power rankings but I think they still left us hanging a bit. The Rams, Chargers, Giants, Eagles, Colts, Chiefs and Seahawks are all rated higher than us with 1-2 records. They are giving them the benefit of the doubt and expecting the Raiders prove it since it has only been 3 games. Let's get this next win to get to 3-1 before we start our division games!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#48 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 8, 2015 4:35 pm

^
After the loss to Chicago it appears that the rankings had been accurate.
What a disappointing loss.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#49 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Former Raider Carson Palmer is PFF's top QB through five weeks...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/12/carson-palmer-is-pffs-no-1-graded-qb-through-week-5/

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#50 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:45 am

What is your point posting about Palmer?

We have moved on...

He is an 11 year vet with 2 terrible knee injuries that destroyed his teams chances at success. He has been in one complete playoff game in his career and he stunk up the joint with a QB rating of 57, if I remember correctly. When he was with us, he went 8-15 and didn't wanna be a part of a rebuild which it was clear we would need. We like Carr as our young franchise QB.

So what is your point?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#51 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:47 pm

After five games, KC Chief Alex Smith ranked #32 (out of 33) in NFL Total QBR. Man that guy stinks.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#52 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:46 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:What is your point posting about Palmer?

We have moved on...

He is an 11 year vet with 2 terrible knee injuries that destroyed his teams chances at success. He has been in one complete playoff game in his career and he stunk up the joint with a QB rating of 57, if I remember correctly. When he was with us, he went 8-15 and didn't wanna be a part of a rebuild which it was clear we would need. We like Carr as our young franchise QB.

So what is your point?

He's not a Reggie fan.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#53 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:54 pm

I do think it was a bad move by Reggie - buy high, sell low. Bring in a cavalcade of QBs who cost a lot of money and couldn't get on the field. Thank god we've got Derek Carr now. In the dark days after Hue was fired it wasn't Carson Palmer who was holding us back, he was a lone bright spot.

I also just much prefer a QB who can air it out. Dink and dunk is fine but it is a great advantage if you make the defense cover the whole field. Those days of airing it out are waning but Carson Palmer and Arizona are putting on a clinic of how to do it, and it looks like great football to me.

Hopefully Raiders will continue to open it up for Carr. He can do it, and it's our strength - we've got WRs, a good pass blocking line, and a QB who can sling it. Plus our run game sucks. Quit the conservative calls and playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. I want to see less of the power formations and running it up the center's back for -1 yard. You have to be able to run the ball but let's pass to set up the run, run out of spread formations, run out of pass formations to slow down the rush.

Re. Reggie all I've asked for is a team that is not an embarrassment. That first game was an embarrassment. Reggie may not be the best GM in the League but if the Raiders continue to play tough and get better, I've got no problem with Reggie, he can stick around.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#54 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:20 am

Twinkie defense wrote:I do think it was a bad move by Reggie - buy high, sell low. Bring in a cavalcade of QBs who cost a lot of money and couldn't get on the field. Thank god we've got Derek Carr now. In the dark days after Hue was fired it wasn't Carson Palmer who was holding us back, he was a lone bright spot.

Re. Reggie all I've asked for is a team that is not an embarrassment. That first game was an embarrassment. Reggie may not be the best GM in the League but if the Raiders continue to play tough and get better, I've got no problem with Reggie, he can stick around.

Carson didn't want to be part of the rebuild and we needed to save money on the cap. He was gonna make like 11-13 mil the year we traded him. Yes, he was the lone bright, stats wise, but we also went 4-11 which means that he wasn't good enough to put a team on his shoulders and become a winner. We were gonna get even worse on the roster, talent wise, so paying a 33 yr old QB a bunch of money we when we needed to cut salary didn't make sense. Reggie drew out the deal as long as he could to get all he could for Palmer. It's not his fault Hue sold the farm to bring him in.

Reggie filled the QB spot with a high draft choice the next year (Carr), an UDFA from last year that show a spark (McGloin) and a young QB with potential (Flynn). The odds were that one of those guys would pan out and the best was Carr.

I will not tolerate defamation of Big Reg, in any form, if it is backed by misguided perception, FALSEfacts or short sited opinions.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#55 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:22 am

You can love Reggie or not like Carson but it is just factually incorrect to say it was a net money-saving move. We ended up paying the same money, for worse QBs. That is a fact.

"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#56 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:03 am

Twinkie defense wrote:You can love Reggie or not like Carson but it is just factually incorrect to say it was a net money-saving move. We ended up paying the same money, for worse QBs. That is a fact.

HAHAHA! Okay, are you ready?

Carson Palmer
Oct. 18 2011 Signed a 4 year $43 million contract with Oakland (Before Reggie)

We paid him 2.5mil in 2011 and 12.5 mil in 2012. His salary was scheduled to go up 1 mil each of the last 2 yrs of his deal.

We trade him to AZ in the 2013 offseason. (Reggie deal)

Matt Leinart
May 1 2012 Signed a 1 year $700k contract with Oakland (Reggie deal)

Not resigned (Reggie Deal)

Terrelle Pryor
Aug 26 2011 Signed a 4 year $2.74 million contract with Oakland (Before Reggie)

Apr 21 2014 Traded to Seattle (SEA) from Oakland (OAK) for 2014 7th round pick (Reggie deal)

Matt Flynn
Apr 1 2013 Traded to Oakland (OAK) from Seattle 2014 5th round pick (Reggie deal)

Apr 1 2013 Restructured a 2 year $11.5 million contract with Oakland (Reggie deal)

We paid him 6.5 mil for the 2013 year. (Reggie Deal)

Oct 7 2013 Released by Oakland (Reggie deal)

Matt McGloin
May 15 2013 Signed a 3 year $1.485 million contract as an UDFA with Oak (Reggie deal)

Still back up QB. (Reggie Deal)

Tyler Wilson
Drafted in the 2013 draft 4th rd #112 (Reggie deal)

Couldn't beat out Pryor, Flynn or McGloin. Cut before 2013 season started. (Reggie deal)

To put the pick in perspective, that years QBs drafted were - 1-16 EJ Manuel, 2-39 Geno Smith, 3-73 Mike Glennon, 4-98 Matt Barkley, 4-110 Ryan Nassib, 4-115 Landry Jones, 7-221 Brad Sorensen, 7-234 Zac Dysert, 7-237 Brad Sorensen, 7-249 Sean Renfree. Might be the worst Qb draft of all time. Reggie found McGloin after the draft.

Matt Schaub
Mar 21 2014 Traded to Oakland (OAK) from Houston (HOU) for 2014 6th round pick (Reggie deal)

Mar 27 2014 Restructured 2014 base salary from $10M to $4.5M, increased roster bonus to $3.5M, reduced 2015 base salary from $12.5M to $5.5M, and voided 2016 from his contract with Oakland (Reggie deal)

We paid him 8 mil in 2014 (Reggie deal)

Derek Carr
Drafted in 2014 in the 2nd rd #36 (Reggie Deal)

So facts, to you, are just things you 'think' are right...

*All deals, dates and trades were taken from Spotrac, Pro Football Reference or Wiki.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#57 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Did Carson have any dead money against the Raiders cap?
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#58 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Matt Flynn restructured deal actually raises 2013 salary cap hit
Flynn was due $5.25 million per his contract when the Raiders signed him. With his restructure, the Raiders save in the long run but his 2013 salary jumps up to $6.5 million. The other kicker is that money is all guaranteed. So, if you were wondering if Flynn was going to make the team, the answer is yes.

If the Raiders get the trade done to send Palmer to Arizona, he will leave behind over $9.34 million in dead money. That plus Flynn's $6.5 million cap hit end up being more than the $15.335 million cap hit with Palmer still on the roster. It is a small increase of $505,000 but it certainly isn't the cap savings the Raiders needed.

Now can we put this falsehood to rest?
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#59 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:06 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Matt Flynn restructured deal actually raises 2013 salary cap hit
Flynn was due $5.25 million per his contract when the Raiders signed him. With his restructure, the Raiders save in the long run but his 2013 salary jumps up to $6.5 million. The other kicker is that money is all guaranteed. So, if you were wondering if Flynn was going to make the team, the answer is yes.

If the Raiders get the trade done to send Palmer to Arizona, he will leave behind over $9.34 million in dead money. That plus Flynn's $6.5 million cap hit end up being more than the $15.335 million cap hit with Palmer still on the roster. It is a small increase of $505,000 but it certainly isn't the cap savings the Raiders needed.

Now can we put this falsehood to rest?

Yes, if you read the whole article instead of just trying to win an argument and see the big picture of what Reggie was trying to do. He gave both QBs the option to restructure their deals to put us in good shape for the coming seasons. Carson said no because he didn't wanna stay for the rebuild and didn't wanna give up any money to lose more. Flynn said yes because he wanted to play. PERIOD.

Yes, the cap went up by 500k in 2013 due to Flynn's 6.5 and Carson's dead money but it's a huge savings in the long run over keeping Carson and having his huge deal on the books til 2015. Carson even restructured his deal with Arizona right after the trade for 2 year $16 million. Meaning he was cool doing it for a contender but not for us. Both parties choose to move on and the Raiders saved a ton of money signing Flynn instead of keeping Carson Palmer.

Falsehood put to rest.

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#60 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:07 pm

DAMNIT!

Denver just traded for Veron Davis for sixth-round picks in 2016 and 2017.T he 49ers will package a 2016 seventh-round pick to Denver.

They didn't get the memo that we are the AFC West team that takes the niners players.

Donkeys got a little better today :nonono:
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

Return to Las Vegas Raiders