ImageImageImageImageImage

*METS Playoffs '15* - WORLD SERIES v. K.C.

NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: *METS Playoffs '15* - WORLD SERIES v. K.C. 

Post#521 » by NY2TheBay » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:14 am

Keep your heads up Mets fans. You guys have a young elite staff and should be able to be back again at some point. You guys have a bright future, just need to figure out cespedes without losing your young aces in the process.

Next year is an even year though. :wink:
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,981

Post#522 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:18 am

What's interesting is that this was likely one of the most closely contested 4-1 series I have seen. The Mets could have won it just as easily 4-1, they were ahead with just outs to go in 3 of the losses.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#523 » by riter » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:33 am

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,886

Post#524 » by Stannis » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:45 am

Game 1: Familia doesn't blow the save by allowing a homer, Mets win.
Game 2: Got owned tbh.
Game 3: Win
Game 4: Crucial Murphy error and blown save by the closer
Game 5: Harvey demands to be put in the game. Allows a run and a person on 2nd. Familia comes in and blows another save with Duda's wild throw

Series was 4-1, but still so close. These are going to be tough pills to swallow. Especially because Familia was lights out for the first two series and Murphy was fielding pretty well until that game. The game 1 loss... shieet happens. But Game 4 and 5 were multiple run leads.

I feel bad for Familia. He's probably my favorite player. I thought Collins misused the bullpen. Familia is a ground ball guy. Game 1 was his fault. It was a bad pitch. But game 4, he got the ground ball but Murphy missed the play. And Game 5, Collins let Harvey in for the 9th and put Familia in for a 3 out save with a runner on 2nd. Once again, he got the ground ball, but Wright had a weak throw to first and Duda had a terrible throw to home plate.
Free Palestine
stuporman
RealGM

Post#525 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:14 am

The Mets shouldn't overpay for hitting... it's the more affordable and easier asset to acquire by being selective, quality pitching is harder to get. Besides, this series exposed their hitting for it's lack of contact and if they didn't hit homers they were screwed because hitters of that type are hot and cold.
Image?
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,886

Post#526 » by Stannis » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:11 am

Thor's first pitch though
Free Palestine
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,406

Post#527 » by KnicksGod » Mon Nov 2, 2015 12:21 pm

Winning 3 in a row is a long shot but still, Collins must feel really bad. He's a good manager but that decision blew up in his face in a big way, and so fast he couldn't recover. Kind of a manager's nightmare I think.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#528 » by DickGrayson » Mon Nov 2, 2015 1:19 pm

The Mets and the entire borough of Queens should be embarrassed for not taking at least 2 home games.
Royals have more experience, so this was expected.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,634

Post#529 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Nov 2, 2015 1:58 pm

Royals deserved it. They just never quit. Still gotta find a way to get a hitter who literally puts the ball in play. Two many guys swinging for the fences and not trying to manufacture runs. I knew as soon as Harvey came out in the 9th, they were done.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,047

Post#530 » by Jeffrey » Mon Nov 2, 2015 3:32 pm

I would give Ben Zobrist a boatload of money. Maybe 12 million a year for 2-3 years rather than give Murphy that kind of money with longer years. Zobrist can play every position except SS and CF. Alderson wanted Zobrist but Beane wanted too much from us.

I'm okay with Cespedes being let go. He had a streak in the 2nd half that not many players can do.

I'll give Murphy the QO and hopefully someone bites. Alderson wants that draft pick back after giving Cuddyer that bloated contract.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,589

Post#531 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:18 pm

stuporman wrote:The Mets shouldn't overpay for hitting... it's the more affordable and easier asset to acquire by being selective, quality pitching is harder to get. Besides, this series exposed their hitting for it's lack of contact and if they didn't hit homers they were screwed because hitters of that type are hot and cold.

Metsblog had an analysis of this. We relied on the HR too much. But when we weren't hitting them, we also weren't stringing together base hits, like KC did. We also were abysmal with RISP. Our fielding was not that great either.

I know people like to second guess Collins a lot, but I don't blame him at all. Yes, I might've handled the BP a little differently, but that's easy for me to say from my couch. Collins felt the need to show faith in his players. I won't condemn him for that.
Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,475

Post#532 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
stuporman wrote:The Mets shouldn't overpay for hitting... it's the more affordable and easier asset to acquire by being selective, quality pitching is harder to get. Besides, this series exposed their hitting for it's lack of contact and if they didn't hit homers they were screwed because hitters of that type are hot and cold.

Metsblog had an analysis of this. We relied on the HR too much. But when we weren't hitting them, we also weren't stringing together base hits, like KC did. We also were abysmal with RISP. Our fielding was not that great either.

I know people like to second guess Collins a lot, but I don't blame him at all. Yes, I might've handled the BP a little differently, but that's easy for me to say from my couch. Collins felt the need to show faith in his players. I won't condemn him for that.

I think we should focus on getting better defensively and looking for guys who make more contact. We have the pitching that can contend for a title we just need to get less reliant on the HR (because that is prone to slumps vs above average pitching which you see in the playoffs).
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Post#533 » by moocow007 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:27 pm

I don't think there's anything for Met fans to be disappointed with. The Mets played great and just met a team that played better. That Royal's team is one heck of a "team". Ned Yost has done a great job getting his guys always playing hard, always focused on the moment at hand and taking care of business. Reminds me of the Yankees championship teams of O'neil, Bernie, Mariano, etc. No real great stars putting up gigantic numbers, but still just always doing everything right when it counts most, fighting, never quitting, etc.

Will be interesting to see what the Mets do next year. The starting rotation should be one of if not the best in the majors. It's just a matter of filling in the weak spots. Cespedes likely will be out of their price range...though you never know. I would focus whatever money the Wilpons will be squeezing out of their wallets on a top tier reliever. And yeah I agree with folks that a Ben Zobrist type player would also be a good add.

If they can't bring Cespedes back, maybe someone like Dexter Fowler would be in their price range. Fowler is still on the good side of 30, gets on base and has some pop. As a replacement for Murphy, maybe a possible trade with the Tigers (where the Tigers take on some of the contract) for Ian Kinsler would also be a good add IMO. Kinsler is a tough, intense, hate to lose guy that I think would work real well in NY. His contract isn't too lengthy so that if the Tigers pay a part of it, wouldn't break the bank for the Wilpons (from a per year standpoint).

Any chance the Mets can trade for Chapman or Kimbrel?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#534 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:32 pm

moocow007 wrote:I don't think there's anything for Met fans to be disappointed with. The Mets played great and just met a team that played better. That Royal's team is one heck of a "team". Ned Yost has done a great job getting his guys always playing hard, always focused on the moment at hand and taking care of business. Reminds me of the Yankees championship teams of O'neil, Bernie, Mariano, etc. No real great stars putting up gigantic numbers, but still just always doing everything right when it counts most, fighting, never quitting, etc.

Will be interesting to see what the Mets do next year. The starting rotation should be one of if not the best in the majors. It's just a matter of filling in the weak spots. Cespedes likely will be out of their price range...though you never know. I would focus whatever money the Wilpons will be squeezing out of their wallets on a top tier reliever. And yeah I agree with folks that a Ben Zobrist type player would also be a good add.

I think the reason we are bummed is because we had leads in Game 1, 4, and 5. The royals are clearly the better all around team but I would take Familia on the mound with the lead any day of the week. Game 1 really was hard to swallow. If we would of one game one I think we win that series. That is what is frustrating.

Doesn't take anything away from the totality of the season which was great, but its natural to feel disappointed when you were winning late in games that you could have and should have one. Taking nothing away from the royals, scrappy bunch but we should have one every game outside of game 2 where we were outplayed for a majority of the game.

ROSTER

stuporman
RealGM

Post#535 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 2, 2015 4:33 pm

Cespedes was a disaster during the post season... couldn't hit, couldn't run and what's the deal with him kicking balls all over the outfield. He's going to get paid stacks and if the Mets do it it will be a mistake.

Murphy got hot at the right time but it looks like he will just wind up being overpaid for a couple weeks of hitting. I'm not too familiar with the QO process in baseball but if the Mets can get him at a reasonable number through it or recoup a pick if he gets more elsewhere that would be the way to go.

I know Harvey is loved by Mets fans but I didn't like him talking his way into pitching the 9th, he had too many pitches and was already on too many innings coming off the TJ surgery... as soon as I saw him out there I knew the Mets were toast but I guess Collins couldn't really deny him.

The Mets have a decent looking future with that pitching but I have to wonder if they can keep it together to make more of these runs considering their owners are cheap, they caught lighting in a bottle and overshot expectations to get here this year. They better have some bats and defense coming up in their farm system to fill in the blanks.
Image?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#536 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:00 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I think we should focus on getting better defensively and looking for guys who make more contact. We have the pitching that can contend for a title we just need to get less reliant on the HR (because that is prone to slumps vs above average pitching which you see in the playoffs).

Exactimundo! So, say goodbye to Cespedes and Murphy. Hopefully, we can make a play for Zobrist, who really impressed me. Looks like we're set in LF and RF with Conforto and Granderson. I figure Legares will be back in CF. Hopefully, he gets that elbow taken care of in the off season and he bounces back with a bigger year next season. Gotta figure that Dilson Herrera will be playing 2B. Every other position is taken. The BP will need to be rebuilt again for next year.
Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#537 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Exactimundo! So, say goodbye to Cespedes and Murphy. Hopefully, we can make a play for Zobrist, who really impressed me. Looks like we're set in LF and RF with Conforto and Granderson. I figure Legares will be back in CF. Hopefully, he gets that elbow taken care of in the off season and he bounces back with a bigger year next season. Gotta figure that Dilson Herrera will be playing 2B. Every other position is taken. The BP will need to be rebuilt again for next year.

they need to make a play for a better all around SS. I like Wilmer but he is better suited for a utility role. Someone who can play a little 3rd, SS, and 2B.

I would give Murphy the QO and hope he doesn't accept. So you can get that pick. Zobrist would be a nice player for sure I just don't know if he would price himself out of mets. The yanks really liked him and just didn't want to give up prospects. He is also 34 going on to 35. Which I don't like signing those guys (see cuddyer).

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#538 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:03 pm

stuporman wrote:Cespedes was a disaster during the post season... couldn't hit, couldn't run and what's the deal with him kicking balls all over the outfield. He's going to get paid stacks and if the Mets do it it will be a mistake.

Murphy got hot at the right time but it looks like he will just wind up being overpaid for a couple weeks of hitting. I'm not too familiar with the QO process in baseball but if the Mets can get him at a reasonable number through it or recoup a pick if he gets more elsewhere that would be the way to go.

I know Harvey is loved by Mets fans but I didn't like him talking his way into pitching the 9th, he had too many pitches and was already on too many innings coming off the TJ surgery... as soon as I saw him out there I knew the Mets were toast but I guess Collins couldn't really deny him.

The Mets have a decent looking future with that pitching but I have to wonder if they can keep it together to make more of these runs considering their owners are cheap, they caught lighting in a bottle and overshot expectations to get here this year. They better have some bats and defense coming up in their farm system to fill in the blanks.

I'll admit I wanted Harvey out there for the 9th too. He had been way too dominant for the prior 8 innings to not at least give him the chance. But after he walked the first batter, that's when I would've gone out to get him. But I'm not going to kill Collins for that. We still should've gotten out of that inning and won the game.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#539 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

they need to make a play for a better all around SS. I like Wilmer but he is better suited for a utility role. Someone who can play a little 3rd, SS, and 2B.

I would give Murphy the QO and hope he doesn't accept. So you can get that pick. Zobrist would be a nice player for sure I just don't know if he would price himself out of mets. The yanks really liked him and just didn't want to give up prospects. He is also 34 going on to 35. Which I don't like signing those guys (see cuddyer).

Yeah, good points. Wilmer is really a better 2B than a SS, though I thought he played real well defensively in the Series. Didn't hit a lick tho. There are a lot of different ways we can go. It'll be an interesting off season.
Free Palestine
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#540 » by Jose7 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:40 pm

It was a long wonderful beautiful season.

We will have a really brand new looking team next year.

I hope a few of the veterans are back ie: uribe, johnson

But we need to cut our losses with Cuddyer, Clippard, Colon, Ces, and possibly Murphy (offer arbitration).

---

Conforto should be the EVERYDAY left fielder batting 3rd or 5th.

I think Niese is going to be a hot trade commodity this offseason. A left who can give you 170-200 innings under a reasonable contract. Sandy should do some magic to open up the payroll and get a pen arm and a prospect.

We got cold at the wrong time and our one dimensional offense reared its ugly head. We need speed, some more guys who can put the ball in play, and short stop who can pick it.

Lagares should get surgery and he needs to be in better shape.

I think Wright is going to continue to stay in that 2 spot.. hoping for a line of 280/360/440
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson

Return to New York Mets