ImageImageImage

The long, quiet Offseason Thread

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

The long, quiet Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:38 pm

2015 was a fantastic season for this Houston Astros baseball team!

So now that they are probably two years ahead of schedule and are no longer going to fly under anyone's radar what is next for this team?

Which players should come up to the roster? Which veterans need to be kept on the team? What kind of free agents should they target?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Re: The long, quiet Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:16 pm

We had a four run lead and were six outs away from beating the eventual WS champs.

:cry:

I just had to get that out of the way, now I feel a little better.

As far as veterans to re-sign, Sipp and maybe Rasmus if the money is right. If Rasmus is gone we need to upgrade the LF spot somehow, seeing Tucker/Gattis out there gives me nightmares. I love Marisnick's defense but he shouldn't be starting every day with his lack of offense. Cespedes maybe?

Trade Carter(despite his finish to the season, hopefully that just ups his value) and bring up Reed. I don't really have much faith in Singleton anymore at this point. Maybe they can try Tucker there or at DH, but with Gattis around maybe they will look to trade Tucker instead.

Going after an elite closer to help shore up the back end of the pen would probably be my #1 priority.

No idea what to do at catcher. Castro is good defensively but frustratingly crappy at the plate, while Conger is a liability behind the plate sometimes too. I guess they'll roll with both of them again and hope Castro can turn it around offensively.

The division will likely be tougher next year, but they don't need to make any major changes to remain competitive. Even if they don't bring back Kazmir(who was disappointing) the rotation looks to be solid with plenty more talented arms on the way, though it wouldn't shock me to see them try to go after another big name starter(not Price, please). Strengthen the pen, add another solid bat and hope to stay healthy. The additions of Fiers and Gomez combined with the experience the team gained from this past season should make for an exciting 2016. Should be interesting to see what moves they make before spring!

Oh, and learn how to win on the frikkin' road!

:wink:
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#3 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Nov 4, 2015 1:04 am

HOUSTON -- The Astros informed right-handed relief pitcher Chad Qualls on Tuesday they weren't going to pick up his $3.5 million option for 2016 and will instead pay him a $250,000 buyout, leaving the veteran to become a free agent.

The Astros likely didn't want to commit that much money this early in the offseason. They will likely have to spend in free agency to re-sign outfielder Colby Rasmus or find a replacement, as well as trying to sign lefty reliever Tony Sipp, who's also a free agent. Houston also has nine arbitration-eligible players, who could command as much as $30 million if they all come back.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/156383232/astros-reliever-chad-qualls-becomes-free-agent
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#4 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Nov 7, 2015 12:43 am

The Astros and general manager Jeff Luhnow announced today that the team has extended a qualifying offer to outfield Colby Rasmus.

Ramsus will have until November 13 to accept the offer, and receive $15.8 million next season. If Rasmus declines the offer, and signed with another team -- the Astros will receive a draft pick as compensation.

Rasmus played all over the outfield for the Astros, batting .238 (103x432) with 28 doubles, 25 home runs, and 61 RBIs.

The Astros outfielder exploded in the playoffs, batting .412 (7x17) with a double, four home runs, seven walks, six RBIs, and 1.760 OPS.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2015/11/6/9684452/astros-extend-qualifying-offer-to-colby-rasmus
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Rasmus is back! He obviously really enjoys being here, glad he's coming back for another season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/664947456644263936[/tweet]
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:08 am

Welcome back, Rasmus!
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#7 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:45 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/667455864471756801[/tweet]

The Astros traded infielder Jonathan Villar to the Brewers on Thursday in exchange for Minor League right-hander Cy Sneed, while clearing more space on their 40-man roster by releasing outfielder Robbie Grossman and left-hander Luis Cruz.

Facing a Friday deadline to set their 40-man roster in advance of next month's Rule 5 Draft, the Astros have 34 players on the roster and can protect a handful of prospects from being snatched by another organization.

Sneed, 23, made 26 appearances (24 starts) across two levels of Class A ball in the Brewers' organization in 2015, posting a 2.58 ERA with a complete game and a save. Sneed began his season with Class A Wisconsin and was named a Midwest League Midseason All-Star before a promotion to Class A Advanced Brevard County. He was originally a third-round pick by Milwaukee out of Dallas Baptist University in the 2014 MLB Draft.

Villar, 24, played in 53 games with the Astros in 2015, hitting .284 with seven doubles, two home runs and 11 RBIs. He appeared in 198 games for Houston over the past three seasons, since making his Major League debut with the club in 2013, three years after he was acquired from the Phillies.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#8 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:54 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/astros/status/669557450748633089[/tweet]

In exchange for Lowrie, the Astros received Minor League reliever Brendan McCurry from the Athletics. McCurry, a right-hander, had an outstanding season for the Athletics splitting time between Class A Advanced Stockton and Double-A Midland.

In 50 games, McCurry was 1-3 with a 1.86 ERA, 27 saves in 28 chances while allowing 39 hits, 17 walks and striking out 82 in 63 innings. He was a 22nd-round pick out of Oklahoma State in the 2014 Draft.

Lowrie was with the Athletics from 2013-14 as their starting shortstop before signing a three-year deal with the Astros. But he suffered a torn right thumb at the end of April, was supplanted by Carlos Correa as their starting shortstop and never got his job back.

Lowrie ended up playing in 69 games as a utility infielder, including 47 at third base and 17 at shortstop, hitting .222 with nine home runs, 30 RBIs, a .312 on-base percentage and a .400 slugging percentage.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/158170626/astros-trade-jed-lowrie-for-minors-pitcher
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#9 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Dec 4, 2015 2:24 am

Carter a FA:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/158713338/chris-carter-non-tendered-by-houston-astros

The Astros non-tendered slugger Chris Carter prior to Wednesday's deadline to offer him salary arbitration, making him a free agent.

Carter becomes a free agent for the first time in his career and should draw some interest because of his raw power.

"It's exciting," he said. "Uncharted territory for me. I've never done that before. It's a new thing for me. We'll see what comes up."

Carter made $4.175 million last season and hit .199 with 24 homers and 64 RBIs following a September surge in which he led the Majors in batting average (.353), slugging percentage (.971) and OPS (1.376) from Sept. 18 until the end of the season. He hit six homers with 10 RBIs in that span.

Conger traded:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/672298116100530176[/tweet]
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Wed Jan 6, 2016 11:31 pm

I hate Hall of Fame voters. :nonono:
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#11 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 1:16 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Tepper/status/684874990475329536[/tweet]

LOL.

Okay. Had to get that one out of the way.

So, on to what really matters:

Frank Thomas(who was a great player/hitter, no doubt) got in his first year of eligibility and Bags still has to wait until next year(his 7th year of eligibility) in which I would hope he will certainly get the nod, but...what?

Is it because he was friends and teammates of Cam(and Clemens and Pettite too, I suppose)?

He didn't hit that magic 500th hr?

He hit .297 instead of .300+ for his career(which was obviously affected by his playing with basically one arm during his last hurrah days)?

Let's forget he was also one of the best defensive infielders at his position for so many years and...eh, whatever.

He'll get in next year.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Mr. E » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:54 am

I really like the Doug Fister signing.

1 year, 7 million. I could see him possibly being our #2 pitcher in the rotation. At the very least he'll be a solid rotation starter.
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#13 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:52 am

That rotation is looking pretty damn nice now!

I'm happy they were patient and didn't panic by throwing a ton of money out there and/or give up more prospects/picks for another pitcher. Good move to help solidify an already strong rotation.

So far they've accomplished most of the things I was hoping to see happen with the re-signing of Sipp/Rasmus, the addition of Giles to the back of the bullpen, cutting loose of Carter(watch him have a huge season next year instead of just a huge month), and now bringing in Fister to give more depth to the starting rotation.

Good times, looking forward to spring training rolling around.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Mr. E » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:48 am

- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#15 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:03 pm

I can't believe the season is almost upon us!

RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#16 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 12:43 am

Sigh...bump.

:cry:
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#17 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:02 pm

So, our beloved (dis)Astros have made a few moves already, and for the most part I am pleased, so far:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/209092180/astros-sign-free-agent-josh-reddick/

The Astros on Thursday reached an agreement on a four-year, $52-million deal with free agent outfielder Josh Reddick, a source confirmed for MLB.com, on the same day the club announced the acquisition of veteran catcher Brian McCann in a trade with the Yankees.

Reddick, who will turn 30 in February, hit .281 with 10 home runs and 37 RBIs in 115 games split between the Athletics and Dodgers last season and satisfies the Astros' need for a left-handed-hitting outfielder. Primarily a right fielder in his career, Reddick's signing means George Springer will likely play center field next season.

Reddick, a former Gold Glove winner with the A's, is a career .255 hitter with a .316 on-base percentage in eight years in the big leagues. He was traded to the Dodgers in the Rich Hill deal halfway through last season and batted .258 in 47 games.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/209091722/astros-acquire-brian-mccann-from-yankees/

Brian McCann seemed like a perfect fit for the Astros, a left-handed-hitting catcher who could still provide some offensive punch while giving them some veteran leadership. The Astros pulled off a deal on Thursday to acquire McCann, sending Minor League pitchers Albert Abreu and Jorge Guzman to the Yankees.

The Astros are responsible for $23 million ($11.5 million per year) of the $34 million McCann is set to earn over the next two seasons, a source told MLB.com. He also has a $15 million team option for 2019. The signing of McCann means the Astros will say goodbye to catcher Jason Castro, a free agent who was the longest-tenured Astros player (2010, '12-16) at the end of last season.

"It really checks a lot of boxes for us coming into the offseason," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "Coming into the offseason, signing a catcher was a key priority for us, and there were some options out there, but we focused early on McCann and started talking to the Yankees about him.

"It took a little while for the deal to get done, but I couldn't be more excited. He brings veteran leadership into our clubhouse after being on numerous high-caliber teams and working with some great pitchers. He's got a great track record on the field in the way he receives and handles some great pitchers and is good behind the dish as a catcher."

McCann batted .242 with 13 doubles, 20 homers, 58 RBIs and 54 walks in 130 games last season for the Yankees. He appeared in 92 games behind the plate and three at first base. Over the course of his 12-year career, McCann has been named to seven All-Star teams and has won six Silver Slugger Awards. He spent his first nine seasons with the Braves (2005-13) and past three with the Yankees ('14-16).

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/208978332/astros-sign-charlie-morton/

The Astros added some depth and experience to their starting rotation mix on Wednesday by reaching a two-year deal with free-agent right-hander Charlie Morton, who was injured most of last season.

The deal is worth $14 million for two years, a source told MLB.com, plus incentives that could pay Morton as much as $9.5 million for each of the two seasons ($19 million total) if he reaches 30 starts yearly. He made a career-high 29 starts in 2011 for the Pirates.

And finally, they waived Singleton:

Read on Twitter

I'd still love to see some sort of deal made to get an ace, but I fear they'd have to give up way too much for that to happen. I'd settle for adding another strong arm to the bullpen for now.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#18 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:47 pm

Welcome back, Carlos!

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/210177094/sources-astros-carlos-beltran-agree-to-terms/

Carlos Beltran is coming back to Houston. The free agent agreed to terms with the Astros on Saturday, sources confirmed to MLB.com's Jon Morosi and Brian McTaggart.

A source confirmed to Morosi that Beltran accepted a one-year, $16 million deal, with a full no-trade clause. The team has not confirmed the deal.

The 39-year-old outfielder/designated hitter batted .295 with 29 home runs and 93 RBIs in 151 games with the Yankees and Rangers in an All-Star 2016. He was traded to Texas at the non-waiver Trade Deadline, as the Rangers won the American League West and finished with the best record in the AL.

It sucked when he left for the Mets after 2004, especially with how insane he was during that postseason. I still think we'd have won in '05 if he had stayed.

I'm excited about our lineup now. If they somehow manage to also sign Encarnacion(I doubt it), holy tits!

I have a feeling a deal is still in the works for a pitcher, I just hope they don't give up too much(Springer AND Bregman, for example) to get one.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Mr. E » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:49 pm

I was just coming to post this!

Welcome back, Carlos!

(do we still boo him?)
- Winston Churchill
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#20 » by TMU » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Carlos Beltraitor... hate that guy. Always find ways to go behind the organization's to do something shaddy. He never loved being on the Mets. Won't forget the 3rd strike in 2006 either.

Return to Houston Astros