Are you ready for some MNF? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:56 am

Can we start a winning streak tonight?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Re: Are you ready for some MNF? 

Post#2 » by Revived » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:25 am

Nope. We should be solely gunning for a top 3 pick now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:47 pm

SF88 wrote:Nope. We should be solely gunning for a top 3 pick now.

To get who? Here are the guys projected 1-12 (left out the QBs and WRs)

3.Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: Bosa was dominant as a true sophomore last season. He's a very strong run defender who is also effective at rushing the passer with his ability to convert speed to power. He's one of the few prospects here that I've studied enough tape on to feel confident in his early evaluation. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to develop, it's hard to imagine Bosa falling out of the top 10 picks in the 2016 draft -- and if you made me choose right now, I'd say he's the top-rated prospect in next year's draft class.

4. Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss: Tunsil has very good length, power and agility as a pass protector and is able to get good push as a run-blocker.

5. Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State: I'm probably slotting him too early here, but Ogbah has an intriguing skill set and was highly productive during the 2014 season.

6. Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida: He's smaller than ideal, but he's an elite talent. His man-to-man cover skills are outstanding, and he's a playmaker due to his instincts and anticipation.

10. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame: Stanley has very good size for the offensive tackle position at 6-6, 315, and he brings with him the versatility of having played a full season at right tackle and another at left tackle.

11. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State: Decker is another long (6-8, 315) offensive tackle prospect who could play his way into first-round territory.

12. Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State: I love watching this guy. He plays really hard and makes plays all over the field. He was awesome on the tape I watched of the Miami (FL) game, as he recorded four pass breakups and an interception.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12836848/christian-hackenberg-tops-way-too-early-2016-mock-draft-nfl-draft
Revived
RealGM

Post#4 » by Revived » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:Nope. We should be solely gunning for a top 3 pick now.

To get who? Here are the guys projected 1-12 (left out the QBs and WRs)

3.Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: Bosa was dominant as a true sophomore last season. He's a very strong run defender who is also effective at rushing the passer with his ability to convert speed to power. He's one of the few prospects here that I've studied enough tape on to feel confident in his early evaluation. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to develop, it's hard to imagine Bosa falling out of the top 10 picks in the 2016 draft -- and if you made me choose right now, I'd say he's the top-rated prospect in next year's draft class.

4. Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss: Tunsil has very good length, power and agility as a pass protector and is able to get good push as a run-blocker.

5. Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State: I'm probably slotting him too early here, but Ogbah has an intriguing skill set and was highly productive during the 2014 season.

6. Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida: He's smaller than ideal, but he's an elite talent. His man-to-man cover skills are outstanding, and he's a playmaker due to his instincts and anticipation.

10. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame: Stanley has very good size for the offensive tackle position at 6-6, 315, and he brings with him the versatility of having played a full season at right tackle and another at left tackle.

11. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State: Decker is another long (6-8, 315) offensive tackle prospect who could play his way into first-round territory.

12. Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State: I love watching this guy. He plays really hard and makes plays all over the field. He was awesome on the tape I watched of the Miami (FL) game, as he recorded four pass breakups and an interception.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12836848/christian-hackenberg-tops-way-too-early-2016-mock-draft-nfl-draft

I want a great tackle or a pass rusher.

None of it will matter if Mike McCoy remains coach anyway.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:52 pm

SF88 wrote:None of it will matter if Mike McCoy remains coach anyway.

I don't know if I'm there yet, especially after watching Norv for years. But he often does make head scratching decisions. I mean two 9-7 teams, and one playoff win. We are usually predicted by talent to win 7 or 8.

And him being an offensive guy, our offense is great, currently ranking 4th, but it's our defense that sucks, ranked 20th. If anything we just need a better defensive coordinator, but I'm not sure our talent on that side of the ball is any better than average, which would put us at 16 or 17, and our talent may be well below average.

But the close losses this year are killers....most all of them have been to good teams though...Cincy, Minnesota, Pitt, Oak, GB. We shouldn't have lost to Baltimore or Chicago, though we are so banged up missing some of our best players (Keenan Allen, Weddle) that it has really hurt.

I imagine they might make a coaching change if they finish like 5-11 or worse and try to get a big name before the move to LA. Not sure who I'd want though...the fire of someone like Gruden might be good.

It would likely piss off Rivers though.

You do seem to really like to make the coach the scapegoat even if the talent they end up having to go with is below average.
Revived
RealGM

Post#6 » by Revived » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I don't know if I'm there yet, especially after watching Norv for years. But he often does make head scratching decisions. I mean two 9-7 teams, and one playoff win. We are usually predicted by talent to win 7 or 8.

And him being an offensive guy, our offense is great, currently ranking 4th, but it's our defense that sucks, ranked 20th. If anything we just need a better defensive coordinator, but I'm not sure our talent on that side of the ball is any better than average, which would put us at 16 or 17, and our talent may be well below average.

But the close losses this year are killers....most all of them have been to good teams though...Cincy, Minnesota, Pitt, Oak, GB. We shouldn't have lost to Baltimore or Chicago, though we are so banged up missing some of our best players (Keenan Allen, Weddle) that it has really hurt.

I imagine they might make a coaching change if they finish like 5-11 or worse and try to get a big name before the move to LA. Not sure who I'd want though...the fire of someone like Gruden might be good.

You do seem to really like to make the coach the scapegoat even if the talent they end up having to go with is below average.

And you seem to really like to give coaches excuses when their coaching ability is subpar. No team with a top 5 QB should be competing for the worst record in the league.

Mike McCoy is clueless. He's arguably the most conservative coach in the NFL. He rarely ever takes risks in games and he's mocked for it often by commentarors during the games. Here's a great article why McCoy is truly awful

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/9/28/9410963/how-bad-is-mike-mccoys-weekly-gameplan

When the Chargers signed him away from Denver, Broncos fans were in joy to see him gone. He was the one most conservative for them in their playoff loss to Baltimore and they made it to the super bowl the very next year after he left.

And I think Rivers was very attached to Norv, not as much to McCoy. Even after the most recent loss, he seemed defeated himself and said he doesn't know when asked if the gameplan or coaching is an issue instead of defending the coach. He even said he's never been in this type of mess ever before so he's basically lost.

Corey Liuget even went to call out the coaching after one of the losses this season

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnnySilva619/status/658433666272485376[/tweet]

McCoy seems to have really lost the locker room and yet I'm not sure why you continue to support him.

Every team in the league has injuries but agreed that the Chargers have a lot of injuries but we didn't look particularly impressive even before those injuries. Also, the Chargers off season drills, training camp and conditioning is terrible which has lead to so many injuries. Haven't you noticed that the Chargers have had more injuries since McCoy took over than ever before? That's not a coincidence. The Chargers are wasting Rivers talents, I wish we would just trade him to a team that's an elite QB away from contending and get picks for him.

Chargers need a defensive coach. Someone aggressive, the last time we had someone good was Marty who was fired due to the Spanos ineptness. I would take someone like Matt Patricia from the Patriots to coach this team. They seem to always have a pretty good defense that does better than the talent they have on that side of the ball.

Unlike Jeff Hornacek, who I think Suns fans are divided on or maybe even more fans want to keep him, all Chargers fans universally have wanted Mike McCoy gone since end of last season. You are actually the first Chargers fan I've met either in person or on forums that actually wants to keep him/doesn't think he should be fired.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:33 am

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

And you seem to really like to give coaches excuses when their coaching ability is subpar. No team with a top 5 QB should be competing for the worst record in the league.

Mike McCoy is clueless. He's arguably the most conservative coach in the NFL. He rarely ever takes risks in games and he's mocked for it often by commentarors during the games. Here's a great article why McCoy is truly awful

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/9/28/9410963/how-bad-is-mike-mccoys-weekly-gameplan

When the Chargers signed him away from Denver, Broncos fans were in joy to see him gone. He was the one most conservative for them in their playoff loss to Baltimore and they made it to the super bowl the very next year after he left.

And I think Rivers was very attached to Norv, not as much to McCoy. Even after the most recent loss, he seemed defeated himself and said he doesn't know when asked if the gameplan or coaching is an issue instead of defending the coach. He even said he's never been in this type of mess ever before so he's basically lost.

Corey Liuget even went to call out the coaching after one of the losses this season

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnnySilva619/status/658433666272485376[/tweet]

McCoy seems to have really lost the locker room and yet I'm not sure why you continue to support him.

Every team in the league has injuries but agreed that the Chargers have a lot of injuries but we didn't look particularly impressive even before those injuries. Also, the Chargers off season drills, training camp and conditioning is terrible which has lead to so many injuries. Haven't you noticed that the Chargers have had more injuries since McCoy took over than ever before? That's not a coincidence. The Chargers are wasting Rivers talents, I wish we would just trade him to a team that's an elite QB away from contending and get picks for him.

Chargers need a defensive coach. Someone aggressive, the last time we had someone good was Marty who was fired due to the Spanos ineptness. I would take someone like Matt Patricia from the Patriots to coach this team. They seem to always have a pretty good defense that does better than the talent they have on that side of the ball.

Unlike Jeff Hornacek, who I think Suns fans are divided on or maybe even more fans want to keep him, all Chargers fans universally have wanted Mike McCoy gone since end of last season. You are actually the first Chargers fan I've met either in person or on forums that actually wants to keep him/doesn't think he should be fired.

I really don't have much of an opinion either way on McCoy. There are a lot of things I don't like about how the games play out sometimes. But I watch every minute of every game too, and we have had some extraordinary bad luck or uncharacteristic fumbles that have cost of games this year.

The slow starts were unbelievable, but even that article just said at the end it was probably just an odd stat, and said that we were basically 500 for the first quarter every year until the first three games this year.

The Bigger Picture

Mike McCoy has been the Chargers coach for 37 games if you count both the regular season and playoff games. Let's look back at them.

Chargers Record After First Quarter

2015: 0-3
2014: 5-5-6
2013: 6-6-4 (1-1 in playoffs)
So, ummm....probably nothing to worry about? Probably just a weird stat. Still, you'd like to see the Chargers comes out of the gate better than they have in their last 8 games. Slow starts are not your friend, Mike McCoy.

I like him far better than Norv and our offense is on fire, but the D sucks terribly. I suppose that can be blamed on McCoy, but not sure.

I see a thread about him on the Chargers forum. Almost sounds like you. I could go either way, but I've seen a number of FAR worse Chargers coaches over the year.

I haven't heard anything else about McCoy losing the locker room. I don't know exactly what that tweet means.

McCoy has made a bunch of head scratching decisions though.

I'd just want to make sure they brought in someone better. Most teams that fire coaches every few years continually suck.

Sometimes first time coaches get fired too quickly and can't learn and improve (ala Belichick, Pete Carroll)

I have seen stuff on Bolts from the Blue and saw a thread on that forum will people will perhaps bandwagon on an idea....I've also seen tons of people call to get rid of Rivers after last year.

But I watch games at huge Austin watch parties with like 50 die hard Chargers fan and although sometimes we question McCoy's decisions in moments, I haven't heard one person say he should be fired.
Revived
RealGM

Post#8 » by Revived » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 am

3 years is enough time to judge a hiring in any sport or in any job really. In 3 years that McCoy has taken over, he's won one playoff game and done absolutely nothing else.

That's not close to enough.

A shame that it looks like the buffoon who hired him will continue to manage the team

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/15/telesco-not-in-trouble-yet/

Return to Los Angeles Chargers