Shares of Atlanta Braves now on sale

Moderator: HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,339

Shares of Atlanta Braves now on sale 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Form an orderly queue, for the Atlanta Braves will soon offer stock for sale. Liberty Media, the Braves' parent company, made the announcement Thursday. Here's this from MarketWatch ...

Liberty Media Corp. on Thursday said it would reclassify its common shares into three tracking-stock groups, a move the company said will highlight each group's operations and make it more practical to raise money for them.

Liberty said one of the groups would be called Liberty Braves Group, focused on assets related to the Atlanta Braves baseball team, while another would include the company's roughly 60% stake in satellite-radio operator Sirius XM Holdings Inc. The third group would include Liberty's stakes in Live Nation Entertainment Inc., Time Warner Inc. and Viacom Inc.

In layman's terms, this means you will soon be able to purchase common stock in the Braves and Braves alone, as opposed to stock in the Liberty Media conglomerate.

As The Street notes, the Braves join the Green Bay Packers, New York Knicks and New York Rangers as major sports franchises that are publicly traded.

The Braves are coming off a 2015 season in which they went 67-95 and posted their worst winning percentage since 1990.
Here

Here is a photo of a Braves game in 2015:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: You will be able to buy stock in the Braves 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:54 pm

With the lower payroll, higher revenue from the new park, In expect, from a business perspective...that Braves stock would be a value buy moving forward.

Sadly, I think this means Liberty Media won't be outright selling ownership of the team anytime soon.

Curse the day Teddy Turner sold my favorite sports franchise...

On the plus side, the team needs to be good and operate profitably moving forward to keep stock prices high.

I always say: Buy low and sell high. This might be the perfect opportunity to enact this mantra.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Re: You will be able to buy stock in the Braves 

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:14 am

WOW, very interesting, and thank you for sharing.
I intend on paying close attention to this and seeing how it turns out.
This could be a huge positive for us or just make me dislike Liberty Media even more.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Shares of Atlanta Braves now on sale 

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:38 pm

So it was that when the Braves hit the stock market for the first time Monday with an opening price of $36 per share, investors walked in the other direction — probably to spring football. As Tim Tucker writes, Liberty Braves Group’s Series A shares never rose above the asking price and “plummeted quickly and closed at $19.95 — down 44.6 percent” from the opening price.

Here

From a fiscal perspective, let me say...get in on this stock ASAP.

It's likely to double between now and the start of next season
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:21 pm

I've watched the companies stock in general closely for many years.
I didn't expect it to drop this much since the Braves went public.
However, I do agree with you Jamaaliver, and that the stock should increase by the beginning of next season.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:10 am

There's always a risk with stock, that's just the nature of the stock market; but it's sure to skyrocket when the new stadium opens up and when the Braves start winning. I don't have to be a financial expert to know that winning builds everything up: a high tide raises all ships.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Mon May 2, 2016 2:44 pm

What percentage of the stock is available for sale? Less than 50%?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:get in on this stock ASAP.

Seriously, guys. Get in on this stock:

Stock in the Braves has gone up 10.3 percent over the past three trading days, despite a slight pullback on Monday.

The stock, which closed last Wednesday at $19.45 per share, closed Monday at $21.46.

The shares rose 11.6 percent on Thursday and Friday before giving back 25 cents – 1.15 percent – on Monday. The reason for the spike? Reports last Thursday that the Miami Marlins have a “handshake agreement” to be sold for $1.6 billion.

Liberty Media has suggested previously that the market was undervaluing the Braves.
Here

Investment advice from a guy who only knows a modest amount about investing. :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Atlanta Braves Sputter in Stock Market Amid a March Toward World Series

The Atlanta Braves are on a big winning streak. But the company that owns the team isn’t faring as well in the stock market as the baseball club is on the field.

With the global pandemic necessitating a shortened baseball season that saw fans outlawed from attending games in person, shares of Liberty Media Corp.’s baseball assets, commonly known as Liberty Braves, remain about 27% lower than their pre-pandemic high. Second-quarter revenue fell by 95% due to the loss of games and the restriction on fans.

Part of billionaire John Malone’s Liberty Media empire and the only major U.S. sports team to be publicly traded, the Braves are the last remaining undefeated team in this year’s Major League Baseball playoffs. After a 8-to-7 victory Tuesday over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second game of the National League Championship Series, the team stands two wins away from their first World Series appearance since 1999.

Return to Atlanta Braves