Image Image Image Image

offseason moves/news/activity

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

offseason moves/news/activity 

Post#1 » by hermes » Fri Dec 4, 2015 11:19 pm

CHICAGO -- The Cubs have agreed with free-agent pitcher John Lackey on a two-year contract, according to a source familiar with the situation.

A source told ESPN's Buster Olney that the total value of the contract is $32 million. The team has yet to confirm the deal as it is contingent on Lackey passing a physical.

The Cubs will lose their first-round pick due to making a qualifying offer.

Fox Sports first reported the signing.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14291461/john-lackey-agrees-two-year-contract-chicago-cubs

good signing, low price and a solid guy with some big time postseason experience
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: offseason moves/news/activity 

Post#2 » by Betta Bulleavit » Fri Dec 4, 2015 11:27 pm

hermes wrote:
CHICAGO -- The Cubs have agreed with free-agent pitcher John Lackey on a two-year contract, according to a source familiar with the situation.

A source told ESPN's Buster Olney that the total value of the contract is $32 million. The team has yet to confirm the deal as it is contingent on Lackey passing a physical.

The Cubs will lose their first-round pick due to making a qualifying offer.

Fox Sports first reported the signing.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14291461/john-lackey-agrees-two-year-contract-chicago-cubs

good signing, low price and a solid guy with some big time postseason experience

Yeah, I like the move. If he can stay healthy, he will be a very solid number 3. It's not the kind of big splash move that a lot of fans like to see, but I think it's a smart one given some of the goofy money that's going to be thrown at marginal pitching talent this off-season.

It also leads me to wonder of JaHey is up next.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#3 » by karch34 » Fri Dec 4, 2015 11:29 pm

Thanks for posting this Hermes. I was meaning to start an offseason thread since we're on the brink of the winter meetings.

Fairly low risk, even though he's 37. Nice move for the short term without harming the long term.

I have a feeling we could see a deal for a young starter soon. Soler for Shelby Miller seems to have some traction.
hermes
RealGM

Post#4 » by hermes » Fri Dec 4, 2015 11:47 pm

any other rumors out there? think we'll keep fowler? do we trade baez or castro for pitching?
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#5 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sat Dec 5, 2015 1:26 am

hermes wrote:any other rumors out there? think we'll keep fowler? do we trade baez or castro for pitching?

Well the rumors that I have been hearing are that the Cubs are far more interested in Heyward that what anyone thought. This, due in large part to the fact that they anticipate Fowler walking in addition to the possibility of having to deal Soler for another starter (Miller).

Now, there is also a rumor out there that the Cubs may be interested in dealing Castro to he Sox or Quintana. But it's one of those moves where it makes so much sense for both sides, it's bound not to happen. :lol:
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by karch34 » Sat Dec 5, 2015 5:27 am

I think we might be looking at a couple of the international pitchers, who's names escape me at this moment.

I hadn't heard Castro for Quintana, but I like it. Of course it might make too much sense to happen. :D

I heard Castro for Brett Gardner, which doesn't excite or interest me.

Heyward is a possibility, but I wonder if it's a move to drive up the price for the Cardinals more than our own interest.

No idea if we will or won't resign Fowler. I'm in favor of it, but I would also be happy with someone like Denard Span (sentimental favorite from when I lived in MN) as a bridge to one of the guys in the minors.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#7 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Dec 5, 2015 5:32 am

Anyone think there's a chance the Cubs bring back Samardzija? I heard one rumor a few weeks ago stating they were interested in bringing him back.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#8 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Dec 5, 2015 5:59 am

I was slightly sad the Cubs weren't really in on David Price... until the terms came out. Have fun with that, Boston.

I like the Lackey signing because it's short. He's old and for a 3rd starter, it's good.

As for Samardzija, stay away, please Cubs. If he has that $90 mil offer from someone on the table, please take it and go away. He was a guy who was good here on a garbage team with zero pressure. He's just not the same player any more and too many Cubs fans think he'll be some magic fix being back at Wrigley. He's been exposed. It's like the people that thought Kerry Wood was going to be some gem when the Cubs brought him back and it was a disaster.

At this point, I'd just like to see some trades at the winter meetings. Castro or Baez, maybe Montero, maybe Soler (depending on what would come back on the latter). I don't expect anything earth shattering, though. Just some tweaks. This team for the most part as is still won 97 games last year in the hardest divisions.

I like the ideas of Heyward and/or Zobrist. I just think the Cubs will be priced out and it'll be 2nd tier players signed. Much like with Lackey. Good acquisitions, but no top players. Maybe they can convince Fowler to stay. I doubt it, but at least try.
hermes
RealGM

Post#9 » by hermes » Sat Dec 5, 2015 2:19 pm

i think shark might want too much money than the cubs would want to spend, and won't heyward be spendy too? it will be too bad if fowler leaves he was really good in the second half

how long until that amora (stud cf in the minors) is ready for the big time? i suppose we are getting spoiled with all of our picks working out so quickly that we might lose patience on others. we still have alcantrara right? he could play center too
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#10 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Dec 5, 2015 2:53 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:I was slightly sad the Cubs weren't really in on David Price... until the terms came out. Have fun with that, Boston.

I like the Lackey signing because it's short. He's old and for a 3rd starter, it's good.

I'm still having a hard time grasping why any team would give a pitcher 30+mil for more than 5 seasons, especially in the AL. No one is that dominant for that long anymore. If you sign someone to that kind of contract, it's a guarantee that you will end up losing out on that deal.

You're paying Cy Young money for 5+ seasons. Johan Santana was the last pitcher to win the award 2x in the AL and that was back in 2006. There's been a different winner every year and many of the guys who were in contention one year drop off a cliff in the following years.

It makes zero sense to give out those type of contracts in the AL. I'd rather overpay a seemingly star $35mil for 3 seasons than hand out these terrible 6yr/$180-200mil contracts we're seeing. It's not hard to fathom that Boston will end up regretting giving Price that contract.

Things are a bit more stable in the NL so it makes those type of contracts a little easier to stomach but it's still a bit crazy to invest so much in an arm.

I agree with you about Lackey. The best part is the number of years (or lack thereof). Even if Lackey turns out to be horrible, you're only on the hook for 2 years. He'll be done before you know it.

As for Samardzija, stay away, please Cubs. If he has that $90 mil offer from someone on the table, please take it and go away. He was a guy who was good here on a garbage team with zero pressure. He's just not the same player any more and too many Cubs fans think he'll be some magic fix being back at Wrigley. He's been exposed. It's like the people that thought Kerry Wood was going to be some gem when the Cubs brought him back and it was a disaster.

Kerry Wood was definitely a sentimental thing. Even I was more hopeful than I should've been lol.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#11 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Dec 5, 2015 6:15 pm

hermes wrote:i think shark might want too much money than the cubs would want to spend, and won't heyward be spendy too? it will be too bad if fowler leaves he was really good in the second half

how long until that amora (stud cf in the minors) is ready for the big time? i suppose we are getting spoiled with all of our picks working out so quickly that we might lose patience on others. we still have alcantrara right? he could play center too

Heyward will cost a lot, but it's less of a gamble to pay a lot for a bat (and one that's only 26 and won't be 27 until August heading into his "prime years") vs. paying for an aging SP when so many long-term deals on pitching end up burning teams in the long run (obviously, if the Cubs win a World Series it's much more easy to swallow). As it is, Samardzija, even will less innings on his arm is going to be 31 when the season starts and he's looked terrible in the AL and there's nothing that would tell you going back to the NL is a gimme he'll be good. I think it'll be a moot point as the Cardinals most likely sign him soon to replace Lackey and he fits their price range and ideas. The only thing I think disrupts that now is either Mark Buehrle deciding to play next season and going home to Missouri or another club panics and offers Samardzija that $100 mil figure.

Almora, still no one knows because no one knows what he is. He's just 22 when the season starts, but something hasn't "clicked" apparently and they're taking their time with him. He's taken a lot longer than the Bryants, Schwarbers, etc. There's still grumblings too that he could be included in the right deal (Shelby Miller or Carlos Carrasco keep coming up). You never want to give up on someone so young, but the Cubs have too many position players in the pot and you have to move something to get something.

And yes, Alcantara is still in the mix, but one would have to assume he's probably part of any package during the Winter meetings, especially after not playing much last season at the MLB level (just 11 games with the Cubs) even when he was eligible to come back up to the MLB club. He was apparently on the block all season too and no one bit. He's a nice sub, but he's not going to net you much in a deal unless it's part of a package.

Javy Baez has been playing CF too in the offseason (he played it in high school and says he likes it), but that seems to be more of a fail safe and maybe to possibly increase his trade value if need be.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by karch34 » Sat Dec 5, 2015 7:09 pm

Shark to Giants for 5/$90. Not totally surprising and i think Grienke to Dbacks probably sped this up so they could keep pace with the rest of the division.
hermes
RealGM

Post#13 » by hermes » Tue Dec 8, 2015 1:22 am

baez to the rays for pitching is making its way around the rumor mill
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#14 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Dec 8, 2015 7:36 am

hermes wrote:baez to the rays for pitching is making its way around the rumor mill

So is Baez as the centerpiece to the Braves for Shelby Miller.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by karch34 » Wed Dec 9, 2015 1:21 am

Castro to Yankees for Adam Warren and PTNBL. I don't know much about Warren, so it appears a large part of the trade was clearing salary for Zobrist.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 576

Post#16 » by Howling Mad » Wed Dec 9, 2015 2:17 am

This means Baez is still dangling around for a big trade?
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by karch34 » Wed Dec 9, 2015 4:39 am

Baez could be available still. Some of it might be dependent on where they think Zobrist fits (2B, OF, super sub), IMO.

Regardless it's going to be an entertaining week.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#18 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Dec 9, 2015 12:42 pm

Howling Mad wrote:This means Baez is still dangling around for a big trade?

"Big" trade might be a stretch. But yes, he's still possible to be moved as Zobrist is expected to play 2B.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by karch34 » Wed Dec 9, 2015 5:34 pm

With Zobrist at 2B, appears we're looking at Parra and Span for CF if we don't get Hayward.

Assume we're looking at OF of Schwarber, CF, and Soler. IF of Bryant, Russell, Zobrist, and Rizzo. Coghlan main OF sub and Baez main IF sub and Schwarber to back up Montero. Obviously Maddon will likely tinker more with positions, but that look about right to everyone? Assuming no Soler or Baez trades.
hermes
RealGM

Post#20 » by hermes » Wed Dec 9, 2015 11:22 pm

think we're done on pitching? we've added some depth (and the guys we brought in can be bullpen and starters so that helps even more)

do we need another guy?

Return to Chicago Cubs