ImageImageImage

Sources: Astros get their closer

zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Sources: Astros get their closer 

Post#1 » by zapatasblood » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:06 am

The Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to trade closer Ken Giles to the Houston Astros for pitchers Vincent Velasquez and Brett Oberholtzer, along with a third significant prospect, according to ESPN's Jim Bowden and multiple reports.

The deal was first reported by Fox 26 in Houston.

The Astros, who had the lowest average fastball velocity of any bullpen in the majors last season at 91.1 mph, have been talking to a number of teams in an attempt to add a power arm to the back of their bullpen.

Giles' average fastball velocity of 96.5 mph was the 11th-highest among big league relievers who pitched at least 50 innings last season. Giles threw 193 fastballs at 98 mph or higher; Astros relievers as a group threw eight.

most important
The teams initially talked about a package led by right-hander Lance McCullers, sources said, but Houston has been firm about not wanting to trade him. Talk turned toward Velazquez, a 23-year-old right-hander who made 19 big league appearances for the Astros this year and projects as a No. 3 starter, scouts say.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14332470/philadelphia-phillies-trade-ken-giles-houston-astros
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Sources: Astros get their closer 

Post#2 » by Mr. E » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:23 pm

This is huge for the Astros!

And I don't think that Luhnow is done yet. I think we'll be hearing more from them today.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#3 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:22 pm

I liked VV and it sucks to see him go but I'm very happy to see them land a power arm to help the back of that bullpen, especially without having to give up McCullers.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#4 » by zapatasblood » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 am

Sipp is back to. With gregerson Giles sipp and if Harris is 70-80% as dominate as he was last year the bullpen will be very strong. Still would like one more arm for the bullpen. Another lefty.

Need a hitter to but hearing that Hayward is demanding 10 years 200+ mil so pass on that. Guy is not even a middle of the order hitter.

Last if we can get that pitcher from the Marlins without giving up Springer and/or lance I'd happy as a pig in ****.

Aways it nice to know we are looking to build off last year success sad to see VV go I've been a fan of his since came up, electric stuff, but Giles is more polished and ready to be a closer. also still have mark in the minors who I hear has really turned it around.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:18 pm

So, apparently Appel was included in this trade?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/675738717277978624[/tweet]

Interesting.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.

Return to Houston Astros