ImageImageImageImageImage

Jets playoff picture

Moderator: Rich Rane

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Jets playoff picture 

Post#1 » by Barcs » Thu Dec 3, 2015 8:04 pm

The season is definitely not over. The Jets have another very winnable game on Sunday. We are tied with 4 other teams but fall out due to tie breakers.

Games to keep an eye on this week:

Texans vs Bills

I was rooting for the Bills to beat KC last week, but it didn't happen. All Jets fans should be rooting for the Texans to put the nail in the Bills coffin. Since the Jets lose the tiebreaker with Houston, it is favorable that Houston wins the division.

Steelers vs Colts

I rooted hard for Seattle last week, but from the Jets perspective the Texans need to win the division, so the Colts need to lose. We DO have the tie breaker with the Colts.

Chiefs vs Raiders

Even though we lose the tie breaker with the Raiders, they have been slumping while the Chiefs have been surging. We need the Chiefs to lose, to give us a chance to control our own destiny.

I know it sounds early to be making these calculations, but these games will play a factor down the stretch. If half of these things go right I'll be happy, but it's most important that the Jets win. The Jets need to get back in the driver seat. In all reality, it's likely Chiefs will be 7-5 edging out the Jets at this point next week, but you never know.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Barcs
Veteran

Re: Jets playoff picture 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:39 am

Unfortunately the Texans lost and the Chiefs won, but it isn't the end of the world by a long shot. The Colts are still winning the division, but the Texans loss puts them one full game behind us. Raiders are now out of it barring a crazy miracle run.

I didn't realize this before but since there is a 3 way tie, the Jets actually hold the #6 spot since they have a better AFC record than the Steelers.

So now we have:

W1: Chiefs (7-5) (AFC: 6-2)
W2: Jets (7-5)(AFC: 5-4)

The Jets now officially control their own destiny, but this upcoming game against the Titans is HUGE. It's another AFC team. They have a weak record. If the Jets are seriously playoff worthy, they should take this game convincingly. The Titans do have a decent defense, however, and Mariota is the guy that many Jets fans were pushing for in the off season. There are storylines and motivations for both teams. Typically the Jets defense plays well against rookie QBs, but typically good matchups seem to always backfire on the Jets.

Important games for this week:

Steelers at Bengals

The Steelers are probably the Jets biggest threat of the Wildcard teams. It would be nice to see them lose, especially in a big AFC matchup on the road to a very good Bengals team.

Bills at Eagles

I'd rather see the Bills out the picture. Something doesn't sit right with them being the playoff picture this late in the season. The Eagles have been hot lately and beat the Pats, so anything can happen.

Colts at Jaguars

The Jags have been getting hot. Somebody has to knock the Colts off the division lead spot already, so it might as well be them.

Chargers at Chiefs

The Chiefs need to lose eventually! Odds are in their favor here, but Chargers know how to play spoiler. Also good for AFC game tie breaker purposes.

Patriots at Texans

We should only be rooting for the Texans if the Colts win today. At this point a loss for them is more devastating to their cause. The Texans play the Colts next week for the division, so I'm okay with a loss here.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#3 » by Barcs » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Oddly enough my post to this thread didn't come through for last week. I remember typing the whole thing out as well.

The Jets do not control their own destiny, but the Broncos could keep losing and see themselves out of the playoffs. It's either that, or Steelers or Chiefs need to drop one.

Both Steelers and Chiefs have easy schedules to close out. Both play the Browns, Steelers play the Ravens and Chiefs play Oakland. I honestly think our best chance is for the Broncos to lose next week to the Bengals. The Ravens always play the Steelers tough, but this Steelers team is peaking and red hot on offense.

So here is the deal.

If the Chiefs win, we root hard for the Bengals.

If that scenario plays out, and the Jets win, the Jets will actually have the tie breaker and Denver would fall to the #7 position.

If that same scenario plays out, but the Jets lose, they can still get in, in week 17 with a Denver loss and Jets win. I think that path is easier than winning out and hoping the Steelers or Chiefs lose to a bad team.

If the Jets beat NE and Denver loses, we are in VERY good shape.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#4 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:25 pm

NFL needs to aligned themselves with the NBA on this divisional thing.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Barcs
Veteran

Post#5 » by Barcs » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:29 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:NFL needs to aligned themselves with the NBA on this divisional thing.

Agreed. I really don't like seeing an 8-8 or worse team get a home game in the playoffs while an 11-5 team misses. I like how NBA does it with the better record getting the home court advantage over weak division winners.

Last week worked out perfectly for the Jets. They beat the Patriots and the Steelers lost. The Jets now officially control their own destiny.

A win OR TIE in Buffalo guarantees a playoff birth. The Jets can also get in with a loss and a Steelers loss or tie but I wouldn't count on the Browns. So basically our season comes down to beating Buffalo. This is something we can definitely do. The Jets are a different team now, I don't think it will even be close. The Jets shot themselves in the foot last game repeatedly.

Return to New York Jets