Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Kris Dunn 

Post#81 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Fischella wrote:I am just not sure about Dunn, like I catched the same as you did last season, we were on board with him as a lotto guy at the same time, but I am still doubtful about him at the next level, he could totally be worthy of a top5 pick or bomb out of the league and be China-bound.
He is really talented but he is unorthodox in his style and his game is flawed in some difficult ways.
The same could be said about Westbrook though, and he is tearing the league apart, so, again, difficult guy to rank and evaluate.

I agree with most of this. I dont think he is going to be out of the league anytime soon though. But Im not even sold he is the best PG prospect in the draft. I think right now he is #1 but just slightly over Jackson from ND. There isnt really a close 3rd. The only question I have for Jackson is his size. I think he has a higher potential than Dunn

My only issue with Dunn is that he isn't a pure point guard, but I'm sure he's going to at least be an all-star at the next level. His first step and understanding of changing directions/speed is elite and while he isn't the best passer yet, he should only get better because of his ability to cut into the lane. I think he's going to be even better at the next level and possibly the best player from this draft. He plays at NBA-speed already. Jackson is two steps below Dunn. The thing is also that he's going to be a steal. I'd take him #2 or #3 before or after Dragan Bender.
MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Post#82 » by MCDubbin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:00 am

He looks more like a combo guard a la Oladipo to me.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#83 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 am

MCDubbin wrote:He looks more like a combo guard a la Oladipo to me.

I disagree. He's quicker, longer and has a better handle. He also moved differently on offense. Dunn is better with the ball in his hands too.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#84 » by Wilfried » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:33 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Fischella wrote:I am just not sure about Dunn, like I catched the same as you did last season, we were on board with him as a lotto guy at the same time, but I am still doubtful about him at the next level, he could totally be worthy of a top5 pick or bomb out of the league and be China-bound.
He is really talented but he is unorthodox in his style and his game is flawed in some difficult ways.
The same could be said about Westbrook though, and he is tearing the league apart, so, again, difficult guy to rank and evaluate.

I agree with most of this. I dont think he is going to be out of the league anytime soon though. But Im not even sold he is the best PG prospect in the draft. I think right now he is #1 but just slightly over Jackson from ND. There isnt really a close 3rd. The only question I have for Jackson is his size. I think he has a higher potential than Dunn

My only issue with Dunn is that he isn't a pure point guard

Neither are Steph Curry, Dwyane Wade, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, ...

He is a pure talent though, much more important than a pure position.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#85 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:45 am

He's probably going to be a top 5 PG. He's further along than Lillard, Wade and Curry at this stage but then again, he's a Sr. The others were in the NBA after their Jr years outside of Dame.

I think he's similar to Gary Payton.

He's my #3 till I see more of Bender. It's going to be hard to top him. He improves a lot each year and he was in my top 10 last year.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,404

Post#86 » by MalonesElbows » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Historically what 3 or 4 year college PGs without a 3 point shot worked out in the NBA?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#87 » by HotelVitale » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:40 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:Historically what 3 or 4 year college PGs without a 3 point shot worked out in the NBA?

Off the top of my head, Andre Miller, Reggie Jackson, Teague. Rondo and Lowry both did 2 years, same basic age as Dunn.

More broadly, history aint helpful here. The odds of a first round-caliber PG w/o a great 3pt shot aren't any worse than those of other archetypes (e.g. young stretch 4s or upper class ones, young combo guards, etc). Some have been successful and some haven't, there's no clear pattern of busts though.

EDIT: checked out drafts from 2009-2012, there are almost no guys in the top 25 range who fit that profile. There's George Hill (an obviously good pick) but he looks like he'd developed a solid 3pt shot by his senior year. So again the history don't tell you nothin.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#88 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jan 1, 2016 4:26 am

20/9/7/2 for Dunn on 6/12 from the field (2/3 from 3), and completely controlled the game when he was in there. I really don't think his shot is as broke as some believe - he is not an Elfrid Payton, MCW, Rondo type. If he got more spot-up opportunities his 3 point #s would be better.

Poor man's Gary Payton is a good analogy - his defense is absolutely electric. For those saying he's not a pure point, the guy is leading the entire country in assist % per Ken Pomeroy, so not sure what more he needs to prove. His vision, particular in the open court, is pretty incredible.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,037

Post#89 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jan 2, 2016 6:22 am

King Ken wrote:He's probably going to be a top 5 PG. He's further along than Lillard, Wade and Curry at this stage but then again, he's a Sr. The others were in the NBA after their Jr years outside of Dame.

He's my #3 till I see more of Bender. It's going to be hard to top him. He improves a lot each year and he was in my top 10 last year.

How is he further along than those guys?....and he is nowhere near what Payton was.
Lillard maybe, but nowhere close to Curry or Wade.
Sign here
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#90 » by Dcebucks11 » Sat Jan 2, 2016 6:26 am

Really like his combo of length and quickness.. Interesting player.. Love how much he uses the hesitation, he needs to abuse that quickness in the NBA.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#91 » by hcsilla » Sat Jan 2, 2016 8:48 am

brackdan70 wrote:
King Ken wrote:He's probably going to be a top 5 PG. He's further along than Lillard, Wade and Curry at this stage but then again, he's a Sr. The others were in the NBA after their Jr years outside of Dame.

How is he further along than those guys?....and he is nowhere near what Payton was.

Not so sure that he is far away from Payton.

Dunn is at least as athletic as Payton was and he is bigger. As a defender, he is definitely about Payton's level. Payton probably was a more creative passer and finisher.

I'm not saying that Dunn is the next Gary Payton, but the comparison is no off base.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#92 » by Wilfried » Sat Jan 2, 2016 1:56 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:Historically what 3 or 4 year college PGs without a 3 point shot worked out in the NBA?

D-Wade (only 2 years, but that's a detail)
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#93 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jan 2, 2016 2:24 pm

I've never watched Dunn and think that he is not playing like a PG. Don't know what some of you guys are seeing, just because he can get his own shot doesn't mean he's not playing like a point guard.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#94 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Jan 3, 2016 3:44 pm

Wilfried wrote:

D-Wade (only 2 years, but that's a detail)

Wade came into the league at the same age as Dunn, as he had to sit out a year due to academic issues.

Trust me, Dunn staying has been a massive positive for him. His handle was a mess as a freshman and has spent the last few years working with God Shammgod to turn it into a strength. His body has been transformed - probably added 20+ pounds. His jumper has now gotten to the point where he can nail step-back threes (did it twice yesterday).

Defense was always his calling card, even going back to high school. He's always had tremendous vision as well, particularly in the open court. He has a good sense of where his teammates should be - maybe not Rondo/Nash level, but certainly better than "point guards" like Westbrook.

John Wall is probably a fair comparison - Wall is a bit more explosive, but Dunn is a better defender. Both have great size, are lightning in the open court, and while they dominate the ball they still find ways to make teammates better. GP and Wade are also fair, though I am not sure he's proven yet to be a potential HOFer like those two. Certainly has the elite size/athleticism to make it though if his shooting can keep improving.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,404

Post#95 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Jan 3, 2016 7:27 pm

Mudiay was hyped pretty hard as a big, strong, slashing guard and I worried his poor shooting would haunt him in the NBA. He is the worst performing rookie in recent history. Where does Dunn succeed where Mudiay failed?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#96 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jan 3, 2016 9:39 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:Mudiay was hyped pretty hard as a big, strong, slashing guard and I worried his poor shooting would haunt him in the NBA. He is the worst performing rookie in recent history. Where does Dunn succeed where Mudiay failed?

Mudiay is young and is playing a lot of minutes on a team that isn't that horrendous in Denver, so naturally Mudiay will have very bad stats relative to most rookies who are either in more controlled situations or are getting serious minutes playing with other bad teammates.

Mudiay's problem his rookie season are shooting and turnovers, which is generally the problem for most rookie PGs, and Mudiay had an especially large problem in shooting even prior to the NBA. I don't think anyone should assume that Mudiay is not going to work out, as he's shown that he can at least beat his man off a dribble and make nice passes.

As for Dunn, he will come into the league older than Mudiay so I doubt his rookie season will be as bad as Mudiay's. I think Dunn has better shake in his handle than Mudiay and will likely be a decent defender early in his career.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#97 » by Smitty731 » Sun Jan 3, 2016 11:53 pm

I'm kind of irrational about Dunn because I like Providence and Ed Cooley was one of my HS teachers back in the day. So, I'm trying to gauge his real comps.

I feel like he's going to be a PG on offense and a SG on defense. He'd pair well with a guy like Lillard or someone like that. A scoring PG who could use a distributor to help him out. The funny thing is, I feel like a somewhat decent comp for Dunn in the NBA is Lillard's current backcourt partner, C.J. McCollum. Is that fair? Seems like McCollum was a high usage player who did almost all of his damage with the ball in his hands. I feel like Dunn is a slightly worse shooter, but bigger and a better defender. Am I off? Shooting to low? Shooting too high?
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#98 » by EMG518 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 12:33 am

Smitty731 wrote:I'm kind of irrational about Dunn because I like Providence and Ed Cooley was one of my HS teachers back in the day. So, I'm trying to gauge his real comps.

I feel like he's going to be a PG on offense and a SG on defense. He'd pair well with a guy like Lillard or someone like that. A scoring PG who could use a distributor to help him out. The funny thing is, I feel like a somewhat decent comp for Dunn in the NBA is Lillard's current backcourt partner, C.J. McCollum. Is that fair? Seems like McCollum was a high usage player who did almost all of his damage with the ball in his hands. I feel like Dunn is a slightly worse shooter, but bigger and a better defender. Am I off? Shooting to low? Shooting too high?

He will be a pg on offense and defense unless he is needed to defend a different position. He will be able to guard more than one position for sure. As far as the McCollum comp, I dont see it. Kris Dunn is the better athlete, bigger, longer, way better defender, and more of a pure point while McCollum is a combo guard with a talent for scoring and a much better shot.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#99 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jan 4, 2016 6:13 pm

I think Dunn's floor is something like Antonio Daniels, a 20-25 MPG point guard who can defend both positions, get to the line and whose shooting was just good enough to get by. One underrated part of Dunn's game that should not be ignored though is his rebounding. Only Gary Payton II is a better rebounder than Dunn among PGs in this draft.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#100 » by BoutPractice » Mon Jan 4, 2016 7:36 pm

I understand many players have gotten that comparison - players like Rodney Stuckey and Dion Waiters...

But there are times where he has me wondering whether I accidentally switched to an old D-Wade video. The way he runs on the court, his dribbling moves, his acceleration, almost everything looks eerily similar. He even wears number 3...

Not saying he's that good, obviously. Few have ever been, few will ever be... I'm just saying that if I were Wade I'd sue him for copyright theft. It's almost as bad as Kobe aping Jordan.

Return to NBA Draft