2016 New York Jets Offseason Thread

Moderator: Rich Rane

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,585

2016 New York Jets Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Rich Rane » Sun Jan 3, 2016 9:25 pm

Soooo many changes are needed, particularly at LB and o-line.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Re: 2016 New York Jets Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Sun Jan 3, 2016 11:00 pm

Yeah, a first rounder to jump start the LB's (edge rusher mainly) would be nice and some more youth and depth for the O-Line has been on the wishlist for years now. The biggest question for me is what happens with the Wilkerson situation. Cro better be ready to take a big pay cut after his weak season too and I'd like to see a steady, reliable back-up safety established from jump next go around.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
ny41101
Junior
And1: 36

Post#3 » by ny41101 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 11:53 pm

With Ivory, Powell, and Ridley all being free agents we need a running back bad
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,585

Post#4 » by Rich Rane » Thu Jan 7, 2016 7:58 pm

ny41101 wrote:With Ivory, Powell, and Ridley all being free agents we need a running back bad

With Ivory's case, he's been a bit injury-prone and hopefully that makes him easier to retain. I feel confident the Jets front office will bring back Powell unless another team can promise him he'll be an every down back. I don't really give a damn about Ridley.
ny41101
Junior
And1: 36

Post#5 » by ny41101 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 8:37 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
ny41101 wrote:With Ivory, Powell, and Ridley all being free agents we need a running back bad

With Ivory's case, he's been a bit injury-prone and hopefully that makes him easier to retain. I feel confident the Jets front office will bring back Powell unless another team can promise him he'll be an every down back. I don't really give a damn about Ridley.

I think Ivory priced himself out of the picture I believe Powell will be back I feel exactly the same about Ridley. Im seeing in a lot of NFL mock drafts we are drafting a Ohio St. RB Ezekiel Elliot with the 20th pick of the draft
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#6 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:12 pm

For gods sake, they need speed at linebacker and the edges.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#7 » by Barcs » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:50 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:For gods sake, they need speed at linebacker and the edges.

This exactly. We got burned on the outsides all year long. Our linebackers are pedestrian at best minus David Harris.

These should be the off season priorities, in my opinion.

1. Retain Fitz. No need to break the bank, he'd love to be back with Marshall and Decker. I'm sure he'll take a team friendly deal, but he should make more than he made this year by a decent amount. I dislike Geno Smith, but it makes sense to hold onto him until Petty can emerge (we hope at least) or Geno can show he doesn't still have **** for brains.

2. Draft a 1st or 2nd round OLB. I believe this draft is loaded with them. Calvin Pace is too old. We need youth and speed at LB. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting an ILB as well because Demario Davis has not been that good. Harris is Harris, but he's getting up there in age. No, do not sign Von Miller that would hurt the team more than it would help and would put us in cap hell and Wilkerson is as good as gone if that happens.

3. Sign Wilkerson and Snacks (if the Wilkerson injury isn't major, haven't heard about it since he left the Bills game). Wilkerson is the staple of our front line, we should show him the money. Harrison should take a team friendly deal, he's a bit over rated because of the absolute studs that play next to him.

4. Trade Richardson. I know this may be controversial, because he's a great talent, but there's still a chance this guy may be suspended and miss significant playing time next year, plus who knows he could have other off field issues. We'll never be able to keep him along with Harrison, Wilkerson AND Williams in the future, so better trade him before his value plummets, and we get nothing in return. I could see a trade for Jimmy Graham or really good OLB. We don't need a stacked Dline when our linebackers can't do their jobs. It's overkill. Williams should be able to take over for Richardson without losing much at all. Richardson has proved he is still very immature, with the drug suspension and then the highway racing incident with a kid in the car. Him jumping off sides on that 4th down was very amateurish. I'm not a big fan of this guy, despite the talent. Trade him before he has no value. You know Seattle would be licking their chops with this guy up front.

5. Get a veteran TE either via trade or FA to pair with Amaro. Dwayne Allen is worth looking at and will be a free agent. I'd love to see the trade above for Graham happen, but I'm not so sure Seattle gives up on him that quickly. TE was a HUGE weakness this year. It's amazing our offense did as good as it did without a pass catching TE. Cumberland's as good as gone. Kellen Davis should stick to being a backup / exclusive blocker. Ben Watson will be available, but I'm not completely convinced by him.

6. Start a youth movement on the oline via the draft. Willie Colon will be gone. Dabrickashaw is getting old, so is Mangold. We need to draft their eventual replacements. Both should have their deals restructured. Draft multiple linesmen, at least one early.

7. Cut Cromartie, and bring in a solid number 2 CB. No, I'm not saying bring in Norman, just a decent guy that won't break the bank. Cromartie costs too much. Make Cro restructure or send him packing.

8. Completely revamp special teams except for Nick Folk. They have been atrocious for the last few years. Draft a punt/kick returner that can make plays. Draft or sign a new punter. Beg Westhoff to come back :P

9. Sign Powell, let Ivory walk. Powell can be THAT guy, just need to pair him with a bruiser back (Charcandrick West maybe). Ivory will cost too much, and he constantly gets banged up and can't play the same down the stretch.

10. Draft an FS. I feel that is long over due.

If all of that happened I would be a happy man. It's going to be very difficult to build on this 10-6 season because of FAs and also because of a much harder schedule next year. We have some major weaknesses that need to be addressed.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Seeing mocks with Jaylon Smith falling to the Jets because of the injury. He'd probably be a slow rookie season starter, but that'd be another year of a guy projected to be one of the top players in the draft finding his way into our hands and he's exactly what we need.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Barcs
Veteran

Post#9 » by Barcs » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:17 pm

I'd like that pick. Could be another best player in the draft scenario. The Jets have ignored OLB for way too long. If they draft another DE/DT with the first round pick, I'm done, I don't care if he's the best projected DE in 50 years. We need young explosive pass rushers and people that can set the edge for the run.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#10 » by zilby » Wed Mar 9, 2016 3:16 am

Jets lose Ivory to Jaguars.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#11 » by Triple C » Wed Mar 9, 2016 8:12 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/707659451680034817[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/707659172364623873[/tweet]
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#12 » by Grover » Wed Mar 9, 2016 11:18 pm

I'm a little surprised they signed Forte before getting Fitpatrick done. With Osweiler headed to the Texans it's possible the Broncos could outbid the Jets and they would be stuck with Geno and Bryce before signing a vet off the scrap heap.
zilby
RealGM

Post#13 » by zilby » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:46 pm

I never even considered Fitz returning to be a lock. I'm not sure what team he thinks is going to overpay for him, though. We'll see how that plays out, he may be one of the last guys signed.

Forte is a great deal though. He can still play and the fit is perfect, he gets to be an everyday back here as opposed to Chicago, or another team he was rumored for, GB. What would work the best outcome is re-signing Bilal and using them both as dual threats in the offense.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Forte and Powell would mean receiving threats out the backfield all game long. I hope we lock Powell up. Not sure what's gonna happen with Fitzpatrick, it'd be a shame to lose him with so few options out there and his performance last season.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#15 » by Yankeeknickfan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes!!!! Kaep about to go to Denver!!!! This is great for us.
Imageceltics
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#16 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:05 am

Do you guys know what Forte signed for?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
zilby
RealGM

Post#17 » by zilby » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:37 am

RedBulls83 wrote:Do you guys know what Forte signed for?

3 years, $12M. $4M annually.

Wouldn't surprise me if Petty wound up starter next year, especially with Fitzpatrick rumored to go to the Broncos and virtually no other options out there. I know RG3 visited and we were rumored for a Kaep trade, but who really knows. Just think it'll be different than last year. Wonder if this changes our draft ideas now that we have Forte and Khiry, since a lot of rumors had Ezekiel Elliott to the Jets. Have to replace Snax at NT and find some help at CB for Marcus Williams and our battered Darrelle Revis.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#18 » by Barcs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Right now I'm worried about a couple things. We are currently 3m over the cap, still need a TE and multiple linebackers. The only way to free up additional cap space is to trade Wilkerson and/or restructure Dabrickashaw. We need just under 5m to sign the draftees, so as it stands now the Jets need 8m cap space to break even. I can't see them signing Fitz and keeping Wilkerson. Trading Wilks and also restructuring Brick is probably the only way to make it work. I've heard Fitz wants 15-16m and the Jets offered 7-8. Fitz perceived value will go down to around 12-13, so the Jets will probably meet in the middle around 10-11, which means they will need around 20m in cap space, just to sign Fitz and break even, leaving us with multiple holes, including a substantially weaker defensive line. I hope Maccagan has a plan to free up space.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#19 » by Grover » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:19 pm

The cap situation and contingencies were known after the last of the free agents were signed last year. The exception contributing to the upside of spending was probably headlined with Fitzpatrick exceeding expectations. Wilkerson's franchise tag, snacks signing elsewhere and cutting Cromartie were all most probable conclusions. What concerns me more is witnessing the sharp decline in the offensive line play with the exception of newcomer Carpenter who thrived in the power scheme. I'm assuming Ferguson and Mangold will restructure along with several other vets shortly after the quarterback situation is resolved. There may be some cuts with some dead money but for every pundit pushing defense on the Jets in the mock drafts, a road grading plug and play right tackle and guard might just trump some of the other need and depth issues. I tend to think it might be wise to trade down or even out of the first round for several second and third day selections unless some of the young players are ready to step in and perform. As they will likely stick at #20 and adhere close to their board there are too many options at multiple positions to guess who they will ultimately select as we don't know who they love. I think we may see a couple of teams trading up and leapfrogging others for any of the four quarterbacks who might go in the first round.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 7:00 pm

j4remi wrote:Seeing mocks with Jaylon Smith falling to the Jets because of the injury. He'd probably be a slow rookie season starter, but that'd be another year of a guy projected to be one of the top players in the draft finding his way into our hands and he's exactly what we need.

Well Jaylon Smith was being talked about as a top 5 talent and the best defensive player in the draft before he tore up his knee. So yeah it may be worth it even though Smith probably isn't going to be ready to play by the start of the season. Could be the best player in the draft in the end. IF his knees are fine and he can return to form.

Return to New York Jets