Kobe Bryant: AAU 'Absolutely Horrible' For Basketball

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kobe Bryant: AAU 'Absolutely Horrible' For Basketball 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Kobe Bryant continues to be an outspoken critic of how AAU basketball has impacted the modern game.

"I hate it because it doesn't teach our players how to play the right way, how to think the game, how to play in combinations of threes," said Bryant.

"I think everything is a reward system. I think the coaches who are teaching the game are getting rewarded in one fashion or another. It's just a showcase. I think it's absolutely horrible for the game."

Bryant believes younger players lack certain fundamentals.

"Yeah, but I think that is just by luck in the generation that I grew up in," he said. "My generation is when AAU basketball really started becoming s---. I got lucky because I grew up in Europe and everything there was still fundamental, so I learned all the basics."

Via Baxter Holmes/ESPN

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Kobe Bryant: AAU 'Absolutely Horrible' For Basketball 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 pm

I would have to agree with Kobe, I've never been a fan off AAU, what they are teaching is more "come play for my team because we always winning" instead of teaching them, to be best you have to beat best, not join the best. The NBA will definitely miss Kobe when he is gone.
McKenna
Rookie
And1: 1,117

Post#3 » by McKenna » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Fundamentals like ball holding and jacking up contested fade away jumpers to the tune of 20+ shots a game.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,701

Post#4 » by thelead » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:14 pm

McKenna wrote:Fundamentals like ball holding and jacking up contested fade away jumpers to the tune of 20+ shots a game.

Difference is that he's a top 10 player of all time with the talent to do it. AAU kids with much less talent are trying to emulate that instead of building their talent first.
Machiavillain
Sophomore
And1: 621

Post#5 » by Machiavillain » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:22 pm

McKenna wrote:Fundamentals like ball holding and jacking up contested fade away jumpers to the tune of 20+ shots a game.

You know, I gave Kobe a lot of flack throughout the years for his overrated defense and propensity to ball hog, but nobody could ever in their right minds question the man's command of the fundamentals. He's had 30-35 ppg seasons shooting above .550 TS% while being triple teamed every game. You don't do that without having an enormous basketball IQ. He's truly a legend of the game regardless of what side you're on.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#6 » by ChosunX » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:33 am

How much do the Europoean style academies cost? He can put his money where his mouth is if he wants to do it.
McKenna
Rookie

Post#7 » by McKenna » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:33 am

Machiavillain wrote:You know, I gave Kobe a lot of flack throughout the years for his overrated defense and propensity to ball hog, but nobody could ever in their right minds question the man's command of the fundamentals. He's had 30-35 ppg seasons shooting above .550 TS% while being triple teamed every game. You don't do that without having an enormous basketball IQ. He's truly a legend of the game regardless of what side you're on.

Fair enough in retrospect but I do get your points. It's possible to have a great mid-range game, analytics don't really tell the story of MJ's mid-range game when you're watching him go at it in-game. But it did create a generation of chuckers, Kobe being the most successful. Dion Waiters being an unsuccessful example.

The way AAU will get the hint is through getting a good touch up at the Olympics again. Even bomb out of a medal or something crazy and they'll have to review the entire program.

Without a firm footing of fundamentals most Australian's would never have made the NBA. Delly - fundamentally sound. In a bigger more athletic body he would make a really good starting PG. Another example is Bogut - he has good hands for a big man and can even bring the ball up court. He is a playmaker at his position and an anchor on the other end. He is grounded in fundamental basketball and for our 'premium' program, the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS).. bit by bit we've been getting there.

At one stage our greatest Olympic highlight was a young PG Shane Heal (who ended up playing for the Wolves/Spurs eventually) chest bumped Charles Barkley and talked smack to him all game. It made headlines and there was excitement about basketball over here. Ultimately that excitement and fan interest turned into Bogut going 1st. The next gen is now Simmons.

TL/DR - I agree with your assessment. But still think Kobe's a dick (MJ generation.. sorry, can't help it).
Meatcookie
Rookie
And1: 219

Post#8 » by Meatcookie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 am

MitchB3 wrote:I would have to agree with Kobe, I've never been a fan off AAU, what they are teaching is more "come play for my team because we always winning" instead of teaching them, to be best you have to beat best, not join the best. The NBA will definitely miss Kobe when he is gone.

He is already gone. This season he is terrible. Last season he played 6 games. 2012–13 was the last season that "Kobe" played.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#9 » by Woody Allen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 am

He's right, but I've always thought Kobe plays like a complete AAU product. Talented but very poor in his ability 'to think the game'. Unlike players like Boris Diaw and Marc Gasol.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#10 » by Slava » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 am

ChosunX wrote:How much do the Europoean style academies cost? He can put his money where his mouth is if he wants to do it.

He can do it but it would compromise the kids' academic eligibility when they get to college. So may be you should heed your own advice and start by learning to spell properly.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#11 » by ChosunX » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:36 am

Slava wrote:
ChosunX wrote:How much do the Europoean style academies cost? He can put his money where his mouth is if he wants to do it.

He can do it but it would compromise the kids' academic eligibility when they get to college. So may be you should heed your own advice and put your mind where your mouth is and use it more often.

They don't have to go to college. Nobody will notice if they did not, they speak and act like upper class people probably so there are no drawbacks. Kobe can hire private tutors if he wants to easily.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#12 » by Slava » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:38 am

ChosunX wrote:
Slava wrote:

He can do it but it would compromise the kids' academic eligibility when they get to college. So may be you should heed your own advice and put your mind where your mouth is and use it more often.

They don't have to go to college. Nobody will notice if they did not, they speak and act like upper class people probably so there are no drawbacks. Kobe can hire private tutors if he wants to easily.

I don't think you understand. NCAA eligibility goes out of the window if a kid associates himself with any sort of academy that's not amateur. Hence Amateur Athletic Union. NBA scouts NCAA or any other pro league so unless you put yourself there, you won't get the exposure.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#13 » by Phreak50 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:19 am

McKenna wrote:
Machiavillain wrote:You know, I gave Kobe a lot of flack throughout the years for his overrated defense and propensity to ball hog, but nobody could ever in their right minds question the man's command of the fundamentals. He's had 30-35 ppg seasons shooting above .550 TS% while being triple teamed every game. You don't do that without having an enormous basketball IQ. He's truly a legend of the game regardless of what side you're on.

Fair enough in retrospect but I do get your points. It's possible to have a great mid-range game, analytics don't really tell the story of MJ's mid-range game when you're watching him go at it in-game. But it did create a generation of chuckers, Kobe being the most successful. Dion Waiters being an unsuccessful example.

The way AAU will get the hint is through getting a good touch up at the Olympics again. Even bomb out of a medal or something crazy and they'll have to review the entire program.

Without a firm footing of fundamentals most Australian's would never have made the NBA. Delly - fundamentally sound. In a bigger more athletic body he would make a really good starting PG. Another example is Bogut - he has good hands for a big man and can even bring the ball up court. He is a playmaker at his position and an anchor on the other end. He is grounded in fundamental basketball and for our 'premium' program, the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS).. bit by bit we've been getting there.

At one stage our greatest Olympic highlight was a young PG Shane Heal (who ended up playing for the Wolves/Spurs eventually) chest bumped Charles Barkley and talked smack to him all game. It made headlines and there was excitement about basketball over here. Ultimately that excitement and fan interest turned into Bogut going 1st. The next gen is now Simmons.

TL/DR - I agree with your assessment. But still think Kobe's a dick (MJ generation.. sorry, can't help it).

The biggest problem with most Aussie ballers (99.99% of the current nbl for example) is they never put the hard yards in to learn to dribble.

Athleticism aside the biggest difference between an Australian player and any other around the world is they can barely even bring the ball up. Even Pat Mills took years in the nba to become competent. Exum struggled getting the ball to halfcourt when pressured as a rookie.

And all of that is evident whenever there is an Olympics or World Championship. They are fine against their own competition because the defenders are slow, unaggressive but whenever an opposing team wants to shut Australia down they look at the point guard and how they always crumble under pressure.

To me dribbling is the biggest fundamental next to shooting so your argument (with the exception of the truly gifted ones) doesn't hold up in that sense.

Not knocking the country or its players, I love the fight and general team and national pride but to have an honest, constructive look at the average player, you can only shake your head and ask how someone can never learn to dribble if they have decided to make a career out of basketball.
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#14 » by ChosunX » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
McKenna wrote:

The biggest problem with most Aussie ballers (99.99% of the current nbl for example) is they never put the hard yards in to learn to dribble.

Athleticism aside the biggest difference between an Australian player and any other around the world is they can barely even bring the ball up. Even Pat Mills took years in the nba to become competent. Exum struggled getting the ball to halfcourt when pressured as a rookie.

And all of that is evident whenever there is an Olympics or World Championship. They are fine against their own competition because the defenders are slow, unaggressive but whenever an opposing team wants to shut Australia down they look at the point guard and how they always crumble under pressure.

To me dribbling is the biggest fundamental next to shooting so your argument (with the exception of the truly gifted ones) doesn't hold up in that sense.

Not knocking the country or its players, I love the fight and general team and national pride but to have an honest, constructive look at the average player, you can only shake your head and ask how someone can never learn to dribble if they have decided to make a career out of basketball.

I remember a young Patty Mills before he was in the NBA being featured in a documentary. He had to do some fancy dribbling for the camera and obviously screwed it up a bit. i wonder how many times he had to try.
McKenna
Rookie

Post#15 » by McKenna » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm

ChosunX wrote:I remember a young Patty Mills before he was in the NBA being featured in a documentary. He had to do some fancy dribbling for the camera and obviously screwed it up a bit. i wonder how many times he had to try.

Andrew Gaze being unable to miss free throws for the Kids Helpline ad.

Aussie basketball history - sketchy as :lol:
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#16 » by MegaK » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Can't really say much, the guy won 5 championships. You can't do that without have a very intimate knowledge of the game. Would have loved to seen him pass the ball more over the course of his career though. He could have easily averaged 8 plus assists a game and could have won more games without alienating everyone he plays with. Kind of like how Carmelo in New York is finally figuring out that he can affect the game more by playing a complete game rather than a scoring role primarily.

Return to Wiretap Discussion