Wiz-Board Rules, Links, Traditions and HOF Posts Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Wiz-Board Rules, Links, Traditions and HOF Posts Thread 

Post#101 » by fishercob » Sun May 10, 2015 11:59 am

On the ties that bind, after Paul Pierce called game:

dandridge10 wrote:So, I tried to sell tonight's game because my parents are in town and neither one are NBA basketball fans. Surprisingly, I could not sell the game so I talked my 75 year old Dad into going. I told him on the way into the game that NBA playoff games are completely different than the regular season and he would have fun. He was skeptical to say the least, saying that he likes college ball better.

I have to say that this is one game that I will cherish forever. My Dad was really into the game, constantly telling me how right I was on how much harder they play in the playoffs than in the regular season, and even joining in the chants, "Otto Porter" and "Defense". He thought the atmosphere at the Verizon Center was outstanding and was just gushing over the play of Otto Porter, Nene and Gortat. Even when I was depressed when the Hawks tied up the game, he told me not too worry and that he just had a feeling the Wizards would win. And, the cap of the night was PP hitting the game winner and my Dad and I hugging and high fiving each other. I will never forget that.

On the way home from the game, my Dad kept thanking me for taking him to the game. And, just before he turned in for the night, he turned to me and said, "anytime you want to take me to another Wizards playoff game, I'll be there."

So, the Wizards not only got a crucial win tonight, but they got a new fan....and I got a moment I will always be able to share with my Dad.

Go Wiz.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#102 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 pm

montestewart wrote:

I remember when Gilbert Arenas filled Andray Blatche's shoes.

monte so bad...
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#103 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 6, 2015 11:59 pm

The ever quoteable Wiz'Nasty

WizarDynasty wrote:This team has one of the worst non basketball team names in the history of sports. What h*ll do wizards have anything to do with basketball?

there is not one part of being a wizard that relates to athleticism, aggression, hardwork, and hustle. teh image of wizard is a slacker, sits around all day creating spells,--

I would immediately change the name as my first agenda if I were Ted. He wonders why his basketball team has no identity.

There is no such thing as a YOUNG wizard. They are old, complaining, elitist, there is absolutely, the only people who can relate to wizards are harry potter fans. The team mascot identity heavily influences the psyche of the team.

Ted is faced with the almost insurmountable task of reinventing the definition of a wizard to help support his basketball identity. No one in DC cares about a wizard. It not part of the community, and its not part of tradition. The only reason you chose wizards is because it starts with a W. That was the worse decision Abe ever made and something Ted should have immediately changed along with the uniforms.

Again, TED immediately changed the name to something that creates an image of a winner. Create a team name that makes your players live up to the identity of the team.

Lakers---they have over 5 decades of success. What in the world is laker. you think of magic johnson, or all the championships they won. Celtics....they have an image of a fighting leprachaun......that's the image of the team. You have cavalier...a guy on a horse...not that great but at least its a fighter...you have pacers....race car.... that translates into running... you have pistons...running horse... you have hawks....predator...aggressive.....you have bobcats....crappy but at least its slightly aggressive....you have Heat....everyone relates to the heat...or being hot because of Miami...

you got the bucks...aggressive deer....then you got the knicks....what in the world is a knick...you just think madison square garden and long history.... 76ers....you think of Dr. J and the afro's...toronto raptors....agressive deadly dinosaurs...then you got the Magic...---that's has to be one of the least aggressive names with absolutely no connection to basketball...then you have the wizards....second worst non aggressive name in basketball.

Then you have western conference....grizzlies...bear...fits gasol and dbo greatly, spurs...san antonio...makes sense---wiley aggressive cowboys....portland trailblazers....trailblazers..is connected to oregon past...makes sense...Golden state warriors...again aggressive...New Orleans...smart...changed their name from pelicans...they want to be fast and fly and its state bird....Houston rockets...explosive....Utah Jazz....music....not that aggressive....but the team is built on rhythm....minnesota timberwolves...aggressive...oklahoma thunder....bang aggressive....sacramento kings....kings...translates to being on top...get it...dallas mavericks...someone who doesn't follow customs or rules...Mark Cuban trying to establish his team identity by always trying to break the rules...i get it....
How is TEd going to fix the image of Wizard....If the GM is well know for motion camera statistics....and becomes the face of the organization for being a wizard with NBA STATISTICS.....THAT MAKES SENSE.

Ted pushing forth a public campaign to re image the washington wizards into an organization that are a collecton of WIZARDS with INFORMATION.

that makes sense. BUT TED has YET to DO. Make it a culture that the entire organization are WIZARDS of INFORMATION. IF it's not information like stats, somebody in the organization needs to be branded as a WIZARD of something. Wizard like plays...meaning brilliant plays...

There is absolutely nothing about this orgnanization that suggest WIZARD....or high mastery of a particular area. TED needs to change the name to a name that motivates his team each game with an identity that he forces them to live up to. The leader of this team is far from the image of a wizard.---john wall is a wizard at what?....running fast in a straight line with the basketball. Beal is a wizard at what? shooting the basketball ?....Wittman is a wizard at what offense? Defense coaching? TED you need to quickly find something in this organization that everyone can point to as being a wizard...or you need to change the team name that creates motivation each game for the team.

Michael JOrdan...a bull----aggressive, stout, always charging, tough.....awesome team name---he worked to live up to image of a bull. Every time he saw his team logo, it reminded him of how he should be as a player. That's what you need for this team LEONSIS.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#104 » by Tricky_Kid » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:59 pm

I`ve never been banned but probably will be very soon so I got question. If a mod ban me on different board can I still write here or this mean being ban from realgm as a whole?

Wysłane z mojego LG-P880 przy użyciu Tapatalka
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#105 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Tricky_Kid wrote:I`ve never been banned but probably will be very soon so I got question. If a mod ban me on different board can I still write here or this mean being ban from realgm as a whole?

Please don't get banned anywhere.

The answer is it depends. Mods can either ask for total site-wide ban or an individual board ban (the system allows either). I usually depends on the infraction and where the infractions occurred. (Example: If there's one dude who is just HATEFUL of Orlando for some reason and only trolls that one board, he may get banned from only the Orlando board. But if he's tolling other boards, but especially Orlando, there may be a decision that he's best banned from everywhere.)

Again, please don't get banned elsewhere on the boards. We can't control that (among us Wiz baord mods).
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: RE: Re: Wiz-Board Rules, Links, Traditions and HOF Posts Thread 

Post#106 » by Tricky_Kid » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
Tricky_Kid wrote:I`ve never been banned but probably will be very soon so I got question. If a mod ban me on different board can I still write here or this mean being ban from realgm as a whole?

Please don't get banned anywhere.

The answer is it depends. Mods can either ask for total site-wide ban or an individual board ban (the system allows either). I usually depends on the infraction and where the infractions occurred. (Example: If there's one dude who is just HATEFUL of Orlando for some reason and only trolls that one board, he may get banned from only the Orlando board. But if he's tolling other boards, but especially Orlando, there may be a decision that he's best banned from everywhere.)

Again, please don't get banned elsewhere on the boards. We can't control that (among us Wiz baord mods).

Thx for answer. Damn too late... I hope they will ban me on one board eventually... Losing my nickname will be disaster :(

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#107 » by montestewart » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:42 am

From "Re: Have You Panickers Actually Thought This Through?"

Ed Wood wrote:I can't believe that I'm choosing this comedic tour de force of a thread to fulfill my serious post quota, but I'd just like to point out that characterizing the expressed desire to see turnover in the front office of the Wizards as panic demonstrates a lack of a sense of history, both of the team and of the board.

Never mind that the arguments against the effective operation of the team can be quantified, read out in the gap between the modest statistical benchmarks each new acquisition can ostensibly claim and the more barren reality revealed by any semi-serious attempt to apply more rigor and method to those numbers.

There's no panic here because panic would imply a suddenness and urgency that is so many years behind us now if it ever existed. Grunfeld has run this team poorly for a long, long time, and so, having come to realize this, we more or less constantly hope that he'll be fired and things will get better. I don't necessarily root for the team to actively fail to fascillitate that anymore because it's already happened, happened a second and third time after that, and nothing was so accomplished. So I'd happily see the team win the NBA Finals and then fire Grunfeld the next day; there's simply too much assembled evidence weighed against his competency at this point to counterbalance anything but a sustained run of excellent decisions spanning a number of years. I'd prefer not to give him that chance because I can put only so much faith in the notion of regression to the mean, but frankly he was equally obliged to make up for having been a moron for some time half a decade ago and he's spent the intervening time being **** at running a basketball team.

So I'm not panicking here, leisurely preparing to mosey back down that hill and start again with my boulder perhaps, but I am a learning animal so when I've nearly pushed it to the top and its contract is renewed for another couple of years I hardly panic.

I laugh.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#108 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 1, 2016 4:21 pm

Welcome Back Ed Wood:

Ed Wood wrote:I can't believe that I'm choosing this comedic tour de force of a thread to fulfill my serious post quota, but I'd just like to point out that characterizing the expressed desire to see turnover in the front office of the Wizards as panic demonstrates a lack of a sense of history, both of the team and of the board.

Never mind that the arguments against the effective operation of the team can be quantified, read out in the gap between the modest statistical benchmarks each new acquisition can ostensibly claim and the more barren reality revealed by any semi-serious attempt to apply more rigor and method to those numbers.

There's no panic here because panic would imply a suddenness and urgency that is so many years behind us now if it ever existed. Grunfeld has run this team poorly for a long, long time, and so, having come to realize this, we more or less constantly hope that he'll be fired and things will get better. I don't necessarily root for the team to actively fail to fascillitate that anymore because it's already happened, happened a second and third time after that, and nothing was so accomplished. So I'd happily see the team win the NBA Finals and then fire Grunfeld the next day; there's simply too much assembled evidence weighed against his competency at this point to counterbalance anything but a sustained run of excellent decisions spanning a number of years. I'd prefer not to give him that chance because I can put only so much faith in the notion of regression to the mean, but frankly he was equally obliged to make up for having been a moron for some time half a decade ago and he's spent the intervening time being **** at running a basketball team.

So I'm not panicking here, leisurely preparing to mosey back down that hill and start again with my boulder perhaps, but I am a learning animal so when I've nearly pushed it to the top and its contract is renewed for another couple of years I hardly panic.

I laugh.

Oops double post but worth a second read.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#109 » by BigA » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Sluggerface's milellie111=hands11 reveal, from the BOYCOTT WIZARDS TICKETS! thread:

Sluggerface wrote:
milellie111 wrote:How about just supporting the team, sit back and watch a big part of this rebuild play out?

The time to get really pissed is in like 2 years from now if things don’t work out.

Right now, everything is still on course.

I appreciate for once this team is approaching things with a long term plan. Some see moves like Gortat or Morris as patch jobs. But they weren’t. Gortat has been our center for 3 years now and will be again next year. Morris is signed for multiple years and is a young big strong PF/S4 we needed with Nene’s contract expiring. We have Wall 25, Beal 22, Otto 22, Oubre 20. You have young talented pieces and we have cap.

That is a result of long term planning that we are here. This was not the case during the Pollin regime. So complaining that ownership is totally screwing up ? That really isn’t happening.

Ted plans to deliver on that long term vision. Does it take time? Yes. But now is not the time to revolt.

They fell short this one year. Things happen such as injuries that are out of everyone's control. But its not like that changes all the good stuff still in place.

If you are the type to get overly negative, then I guess this is a good time for you. But this off season is what they planned for. This was a bridge year. We knew that. An exciting summer of free agency is approaching. Lets see what they do with that before having a major owenership melt down.

Or maybe you could just support the team, not go to games if you don't want, sit back and watch a big part of this rebuild play out.
The time to get really pissed is in like 2 years from now if things don’t work out.

Right now, everything is still in front of them.

I appreciate for once this team is approaching things with a long term plan. Some see moves like Gortat or Morris as patch jobs. But they weren’t. Gortat has been out center for 3 years now and will be again next year. Morris is signed for multiple years and is a young big strong PF/S4 we needed with Nene’s contract expiring. We have Wall 25, Beal 22, Otto 22, Oubre 20. You have young pieces. That are talented. And we have cap.

That is a result of long term planning that we are here. I never saw stuff like this under the old ownership.

So complain about no DL team is you want. Complain that EG is still here. But complaining that ownership is totally screwing up ? That really isn’t happening.

Does Ted still have to deliver on that long term vision ? Of course he does. But now is not the time to revolt.

They feel short this one year. Things happen. But its not like that chances all the good stuff still in place.

If you are the type to get overly negative, then I guess this is a good time for you. But this off season is what they planned for. This was a bridge year. We knew that. Now they hopefully go coach hunting. And FA hunting. Lets see what they do with that before having a major Ted melt down. Because those are two important pieces of information we need in hand first.

Hands11

by Hands11 on Apr 7, 2016 | 7:18 AM reply rec flag

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2016/4/6/11377162/ex-season-ticket-holders-message-to-ted-fellow-commiserators

Sup, Hands.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#110 » by doclinkin » Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 pm

TGW wrote:Image

ZaelleDC wrote:Image

ZaelleDC wrote: Would your opinion of the team and vocal displeasure of management change if some the negative posters were aware that Ted Leonsis browsed this message board? Would some of you post differently? Not saying he does, but by small chance what if. How would you react?

Thank You for any replies

ZaelleDC wrote: I don't post much but read a lot. A few Wiz buddies of mine browse these threads frequently and we were all discussing how a lot of facts here presented make GM Ernie look better at his job than most give him credit for. Just look at the team now and all the buzz. The GM bought these players here and turned this franchise around. Only someone who doesn't know too much about the game of basketball would want him gone. 99 percent of Wiz fans I come across are satisfied with the team going into the future. Seems like just a few stragglers here are stuck in the Stone Age and don't want to catch up with time. Oh well.

ZaelleDC wrote: Exciting off season for the Wizards guys. Team should definitely be in playoff contention yet again. Naturally, there will be an increase in season ticket sales. Will you buy before they sell out? It's good to know the owner is vested long term in the future of the team and is just as excited and committed to winning as the fans in DC. http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.com/

ZaelleDC wrote: Your point??

Results are what matters most.

fishercob wrote:
ZaelleDC????

As in Zach and Elle Leonsis, Teds two kids?

Hall of Fame sleuthing. TGW and fish both get the nod.

And millielle is Elle Leonsis?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#111 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 5, 2016 9:41 pm

Endless Loop wrote:Have read this awesome board for many years, but never posted. But today I just had to vent.

With the Wizards, there's usually two sides to the coin. For instance I'd agree that the Morris trade was stupid, but you can at least argue the opposite side. For Ernie, that sort of deal is beautiful, because a really accurate assessment of the deal will take a few years to become apparent, since there's the question of who would that #1 pick have been, and how would he have turned out.

But the current state of this team is unambiguously a disaster, and there's just no two ways about it. It's a profound strategic failure. If Ted isn't careful here, we're can look forward to at least 4-5 years of, at best, a struggle to make the playoffs.

In hopes of signing a guy who won't even talk to them, the Wizards emptied the cupboard, leaving only 5 players under contract, at a time when 15 teams have max cap space. Every team has pressure to fill seats and be competitive now. But the supply of decent free agents is small. It means that it's guaranteed that for the next couple of years free agents will be overpaid versus what you'd pay for them after things settle down. Way overpaid.

The Wizards obviously should have stocked up a year ago with market-priced talent, so they'd have had trade assets because they'd have what are now decent contracts to sell. If KD had been willing to come here, there would have been no problem making room.

But here we are. Five guys under contract in a year when every free agent will cost a ton.

Looking forward, I would worry that Wall won't return when his contract is up. That's almost assured. There's no way the Wizards will rise above mediocrity for the next couple of years, after which Wall should have no reason whatsoever to think that things will improve. After all, this is a team that's kept one of the worst GMs in the NBA on board forever. It's clearly a team that can't conceive and execute on a realistically achievable strategy.

This is 100% on Ted. Ernie is just what he's always been- a guy who is pretty darn good at saving his own skin at the expense of the team.

Ted, just stand back and look at this disaster. Five guys under contract in the priciest free agent offseason ever. Is there any ambiguity about what all these years of Ernie has achieved? I never thought I'd say it, but Snyder is soooooo much better as an owner than you. Ernie persuaded you to go all in on this free agent class. How's that working out? Will there be consequences?

I'd have fired Ernie years ago, but given the current situation, I'd fire him... today.

And last thing, Ted. Ernie, ever interested in saving his own skin, will surely overpay now for some over the hill free agent, so as to achieve a year or two more of mediocrity. Then Wall will leave, you will fire Ernie, and it'll be a complete reboot, while you keep pay for the last 2-3 years of free agent underachievement you bought this summer. Unless you prevent your GM from doing anything stupid this summer, you're looking at no less than 5 years of suckitude. Good work, dude. Give Ernie a raise.

I've kept season tickets through years of this. No more. I'm voting with my wallet. See ya.

First post, 13 +1's and counting, instant hall of fame.

Some people bide their time until they really have something to say.

Welcome on boards Loopy.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#112 » by fishercob » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:19 pm

That time popper got drunker than usual in the politics thread:

popper wrote:Post#1072 » by popper » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

fishercob wrote:Just the Governor of Kentucky suggesting that a Clinton Presidency may require a bloody rebellion.

http://addictinginfo.org/2016/09/12/watch-republican-kentucky-governor-calls-for-bloody-rebellion-if-hillary-clinton-is-elected/

Fish - I assume you are a man of courage and willing to sacrifice for what you believe in. The many hundreds of thousands of Christians and others that died for our freedoms and liberaties inspire many of us. Would you like to meet me to discuss our respective views on America in more detail (peacefully of course). I'll bring some members of my family who sacrificed arms and legs in the effort. Do you have the courage? I'll be back from Italy on Oct 11 and look forward to inviting realgm patrons for the debate. I hope you're willing to stand behind your beliefs.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#113 » by popper » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 pm

fishercob wrote:That time popper got drunker than usual in the politics thread:

fishercob wrote:Just the Governor of Kentucky suggesting that a Clinton Presidency may require a bloody rebellion.

http://addictinginfo.org/2016/09/12/watch-republican-kentucky-governor-calls-for-bloody-rebellion-if-hillary-clinton-is-elected/

Fish - I assume you are a man of courage and willing to sacrifice for what you believe in. The many hundreds of thousands of Christians and others that died for our freedoms and liberaties inspire many of us. Would you like to meet me to discuss our respective views on America in more detail (peacefully of course). I'll bring some members of my family who sacrificed arms and legs in the effort. Do you have the courage? I'll be back from Italy on Oct 11 and look forward to inviting realgm patrons for the debate. I hope you're willing to stand behind your beliefs.

Pretty funny Fish. That’s why I plus one’d your post two days ago. I can join you and others and laugh at myself every now and then when I deserve it (as I did with that post). Had you simply stopped with “drunk” rather than posting “drunker than usual” my plus one and a good chuckle would have been the end of it. But you didn’t so I feel compelled to correct the record.

Out of 1900 posts over six years there were a handful of times I posted while inebriated (usually late at night of course when I’ve had enough time to really tie one on). Even if I’m underestimating by a factor of 4 that comes to approximately 19 posts or 1% of my total. So worst case 99% of my post are done completely free of alcohol. Your smarmy “drunker than usual” was inaccurate and came across as mean-spirited. Not sure why you did so, maybe because we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. I hope that’s not the reason. I’m more inclined to think you were just having some fun and took it a smidgen too far. I’m cool with that. I’ve done the same thing myself. So as far as I’m concerned, the hatchet is buried.

You probably already know this but I’ll point it out just to be clear. A lot of us old retired guys like to enjoy a few cocktails at night. I usually (but not always) refrain from posting when I’m not in full control of my faculties but your post about the KY Governor’s speech ticked me off. I thought his speech was spot on. When and if a government becomes corrupt and tyrannical the people have a right to replace it. History teaches that sometimes that may require armed conflict and sacrifice. I don’t think we’re at that point yet but we are heading in that direction and that’s what the Governor was warning his audience about. That and not to become apathetic and weak-kneed when confronted with tyranny.

For those who are interested, here is a link to the entire speech. Fair warning though, the Governor, like the President and former Secretary of State, is a Christian.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#114 » by AFM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:43 am

popper wrote:
fishercob wrote:That time popper got drunker than usual in the politics thread:

Pretty funny Fish. That’s why I plus one’d your post two days ago. I can join you and others and laugh at myself every now and then when I deserve it (as I did with that post). Had you simply stopped with “drunk” rather than posting “drunker than usual” my plus one and a good chuckle would have been the end of it. But you didn’t so I feel compelled to correct the record.

Out of 1900 posts over six years there were a handful of times I posted while inebriated (usually late at night of course when I’ve had enough time to really tie one on). Even if I’m underestimating by a factor of 4 that comes to approximately 19 posts or 1% of my total. So worst case 99% of my post are done completely free of alcohol. Your smarmy “drunker than usual” was inaccurate and came across as mean-spirited. Not sure why you did so, maybe because we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. I hope that’s not the reason. I’m more inclined to think you were just having some fun and took it a smidgen too far. I’m cool with that. I’ve done the same thing myself. So as far as I’m concerned, the hatchet is buried.

You probably already know this but I’ll point it out just to be clear. A lot of us old retired guys like to enjoy a few cocktails at night. I usually (but not always) refrain from posting when I’m not in full control of my faculties but your post about the KY Governor’s speech ticked me off. I thought his speech was spot on. When and if a government becomes corrupt and tyrannical the people have a right to replace it. History teaches that sometimes that may require armed conflict and sacrifice. I don’t think we’re at that point yet but we are heading in that direction and that’s what the Governor was warning his audience about. That and not to become apathetic and weak-kneed when confronted with tyranny.

For those who are interested, here is a link to the entire speech. Fair warning though, the Governor, like the President and former Secretary of State, is a Christian.

It's all jokes baby
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#115 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Necrobump award but a classic: Ed Wood creates the Combat Sports Thread.

Ed Wood wrote:What is this?

The Wizards have had a less than smooth start to the 09-10 season. Usually I’d be using the opportunity to take advantage of you catastrophizing ninnies and laying down a mean draft thread for some serious Ed Davis discussion, and I’m gonna’, but college hoops is still a little ways away whereas this past Sunday saw arguably the first quality mixed martial arts fight card in the history of broadcast television. So I am instead making an attempt at introducing the oldest newest sport to hit the big time, mixed martial arts.

This thread is here for the purpose of discussing MMA and other combat sports. There is, and I am aware of it thank you, a very small little forum for the purpose of discussing this topic. I post there, I have nothing bad to say about it, but this is the Wizards forum, and I feel that it is only natural that I want to also discuss it here. And from there we’re back to the thread. I’ll try to put up an occasional feature on a particular aspect of combat sports or a particular competitor to satisfy my own perverse needs but it’d be nice to get some general discussion going as well. If I ever manage to convince anyone to follow the sport here be the gameday thread, and if anyone has any questions regarding combat sports I’ll make **** up and you can read it here.

So, combat sports are, as you may have heard, actually incredibly old. While the current MMA kick in the US is about two decades old now, Greeks were punching each other thousands of years ago. I won’t try to comprehensively cover the history of wrasslin’ and chokin’ stuff but some people seem to think that history lends respectability and legitimacy to the sport, so there you are.

The first UFC (stands for Ultimate Fighting Championship) event took place in 1993 in Denver. Vale Tudo events, bareknuckle open rules fights, had taken place in Brazil forever, but the first UFC was one of the first high profile mixed martial arts events in the United States. These early events lacked some of the basic rules (no groin shots) that were created in response to early criticism of the sport and the Gracie family used these early events effectively as advertisements for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, as Royce Gracie repeatedly defeated opponents with no grappling ability whatsoever.

In the sixteen years since Mixed Martial Arts has evolved considerably and grown precipitously. Competitors now train specifically for MMA competition and are expected to be competent in all of the areas of skill that MMA encompasses, including striking, wrestling, and submission grappling. MMA has also begun to break out into the mainstream. UFC events now regularly compete with high profile boxing cards and professional wrestling promotions for the pay-per-view title and the Strikeforce MMA promotion has an ongoing agreement with CBS to televise its premier events. MMA also flourishes in Japan, where Pride, once a strong competitor of the UFC, has given way to DREAM, another successful promotion. Countless smaller promotions both in and out of the US provide opportunities for less well-established competitors.

This is not necessarily a thread solely for MMA discussion, however, it’s open season on all combat sports. Boxing, kickboxing, submission grappling (not) professional wrestling, this here’s a thread for all of it. Personally I know shamefully little about boxing and don’t keep up with the sport very well, so I can’t pretend I’ll be too helpful if it comes up, but I’m game for anything.

A Glossary of Terms

Promotions

UFC- The ultimate fighting championship. The largest American MMA promotion, run by the Zuffa group out of Las Vegas. The UFC has worked very hard to become THE American MMA promotion, to the point where MMA and UFC are synonymous to some in the same way that a Kleenex is a tissue. The UFC is probably the most talent-rich promotion in the world and puts together the highest profile cards as a result. On the other hand UFC promotional material is bad and until recently everybody had to pick between Limp Bizkit and Rage Against the Machine for entrance music (not really) so it’s not all roses as an organization.

WEC- World extreme cagefighting is basically the UFC’s little brother. The WEC focuses on the smaller weight classes (lightweight on down) that the UFC traditionally hasn’t incorporated, though both promotions currently have a lightweight division, with the UFC stocking most of the upper echelon fighters. The WEC does televise its shows for free on versus, however, and the smaller weight classes often provide exciting fights and better conditioned fighters.

Dream- The largest Japanese MMA promotion currently. Dream does stock a considerable amount of talent, particularly at certain weight classes (light weight) but overall is likely a tier below the UFC overall. It compensates with great fight promotion, great fighter introductions, and by occasionally working fights so that popular fighters come out on top.

Pride- The old Japanese promotion, bought out by Zuffa and the UFC in 2005. Pride featured a lot of really talented fighters and the same focus on entertainment that draws some fans to Dream, and a far more frequent and well-substantiated penchant for questionable judging and biased officiating. Pride never die.

Strikeforce- A smaller American promotion that mostly sticks to smaller scale shows and occasionally cooperates with other organizations like M-1 to put together bigger promotions. Strikeforce has had a lot of trouble keeping its champions in the fold and defending their belts with regularity, but is otherwise well run.

K-1- The Japanese kickboxing promotion. Kickboxing is basically boxing with the addition of kicks and the occasional knee. Knees were actually more freely permitted prior to the tooling of Japanese favorite Masato by muay thai veteran Buakaw Por Pramuk through the use of the thai clinch and repeated knee strikes. K-1 fights are frequently entertaining because of the activity level and quality of striking, though K-1 fighters are usually unsuccessful when crossing over into MMA.

ADCC- The Abu Dhabi Combat Club hosts yearly the biggest and most prestigious no-gi submission grappling tournament in the world. Every year most of the biggest names in grappling compete for what has become synonymous with the title of the top grappler in the world, the open competition championship.

Personalities

Dana White- President and face of the UFC, Dana is both a very good businessman and savvy enough to stick to character as the face of American MMA. Dana is known for cursing as much as he possibly can whenever he’s on television and for wanting to know very badly whether anyone and everyone wants to be a fighter. I assume he also has terrible taste in music based on the stuff that the UFC uses promotionally.

Joe Rogan- The voice, I guess, of American MMA. Joe formerly hosted Fear Factor and so is something of a name even outside of his role as the color analyst for UFC shows. Joe is probably the best of a bad bunch of MMA commentators, he generally knows what’s going on, especially on the ground, but is also apt to allow his personal preferences to color his commentary, loves the twister.

Bill Goldberg- The other voice of American MMA, the play-by-play partner of Rogan. Goldberg basically has no idea what’s going on, but he’s not too bad when he’s just having fun talking with Joe and watching fights. Probably a nice guy, but not a good commentator.

Bas Ruten- Was a pretty good striker way back when before you were allowed to use gloves in MMA. Likes to pretend that he taught himself to be a really good grappler. Always gregarious and larger than life, very good in front of the mic when he has the opportunity, also the source of an infinite number of sometimes helpful and always entertaining instructional videos.

Royce Gracie- The old man of the sport and winner of the first UFC tournament. Royce was the first great champion of the sport, remaining undefeated save for an injury-related forfeit for seven years before loosing to another legend of the sport, Kazushi Sakuraba, in 2000. The success of Royce led to the popularization of Jiu Jitsu as one of the fundamental aspects of a mixed martial arts skillset.

Links
Sherdog- A general MMA-related news site that handles coverage for ESPN. Read an article and I'm sure you'll see why. A quick visit of the forums is a similarly instructive experience.
Cagepotato- If you ever find yourself tired of reading Sherdog articles you're probably tired of life, but check cagepotato just to be sure.
Bloodyelbow- OK, Sherdog is bad. I am sorry. Here is a nice history of MMA as apology.
MMA Core- A site that provides all kinds of MMA resources. Explore.
[url=]The single most important thing about MMA.[/url]
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#116 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:16 am

From the Ted Leonsis 'Appreciation' Thread

montestewart wrote:He's politically aware

He has a sharp business mind

He's the founder of Porate Nership

His favorite statue is Mount Rushmore

His head emits his name

His head emits his image

And, admit it, the guy's a baller

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#117 » by montestewart » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:43 am

File this under Brushes with Greatness (all posts from the Official Thread -- Wiz vs Jazz (2/26/17))

First, Dat2U describes an epic encounter with Terd
Dat2U wrote:I was at the game. I just got into a back and forth with Ted Leonsis about Ernie Grunfeld. I told him fire Ernie, he walked towards me and responded "that's your opinion". I said Mahinmi & Nicholson were horrible free agent signings. He said "we just traded Nicholson". I said you spent a 1st round pick to dump him, but "we got a good player in return" he said. I told him I didn't think Bogdanovic was worth a 1st. He just shook his head in disagreement. I told him well thanks for speaking with me and held out my hand to shake his. He dramatically pulled his hand away and rubbed his scalp and smiled as he walked way in the opposite direction. What a douche bag!
Found here

Then, AFM ups the ante with his epic-er encounter with Terd
AFM wrote:I saw Ted Leonsis at a grocery store in Dupont yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Way bars in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Found here

Finally, AFM re-envisions Dat's encounter
AFM wrote:I'm actually w/ NatP4 on this one.

Chugs four IPAs.
Anxiety sets in, bead of sweat rolls down forehead.
Still not drunk enough to approach arch rival Leonsis.
Becomes first person to ever order a shot of Fireball at the Verizon Center.
Finally feeling confident, euphoric, warm.
Zig zag walk towards Ted's Orate Nership booth. Steadies himself with one hand on the wall as a guide.
See Ted in booth.
He's enjoying the game with his family, his few hours a week when he's not slaving away trying to make the world a better place, donating millions to local charities, setting up orphanages, curing rare cancers, etc
Screams out "TEEEEED-YYYY BOOOOOY!"
He looks in Dat's direction, security comes to accost him, but Ted is nice enough, to hold them back.
"Hello there, young man. You must a passionate fan, to come out tonight when you're clearly feeling nauseous! Please, come into my booth and make yourself at home!"
"FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELLLL!!"
Ted shakes his head, "hah hah, well that's your opinion, my man!"
Dat points his finger at ted's shirt--"You've got mustard on your shirt, Terdieeee"
Ted looks down. Dat then brings his finger up quick and hits Ted in the nose, hard, while laughing maniacally.
Ted sighs, but doesn't want to be rude to a belligerent drunken fan twice his size. "Please, just leave then, my man, leave my family in peace. You're scaring my daughter."
"BOGDONAVICCCCC..." Dat burps a disgusting fireball burp, like a mixture between whiskey and Listerine mouthwash. "I'm not intoxicationed, just had a fe--" *BURPS AGAIN* getting some beer backwash onto his hand.
"Can I at least get a handshake?" dat asks, as he wipes the sticky IPA foam off his hand onto his shirt.

Goes home and rushes to his laptop. "Ted is such a douche!"
Found here

To be so close to greatness...
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#118 » by montestewart » Fri Oct 6, 2017 2:37 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:This is so odd to me. I'm a poor kid from the south side of chicago. parents were hard core drug dealers and "connected" to be honest. I ended up serving aboard the USS parche and USS Bates as a ships diver and ET/CT tech (now intelligence officer) so i did missions with the SEALS on the bates, then became a 2 sport NCAA div athlete when i went to college, then a doctor/oral surgeon, then successful real estate developer...and none of you think you have anything to learn from me. and in fact you all think you got the entire world figured out and I'm somehow an idiot? Imagine all that is true for a second. and then imagine that I'm 45 and my girlfriend is a 26 year old former playboy model and northwestern grad(which i mentoin just to paint you a picture of the lifestyle i live. A different ex girl friend was a ranking employee of penny pritzker so i was at the christmas party in 2008 among like 80 people in a living room. obama was there all night with the entire cabinet. All my friends are investment bankers/doctors/lawyers/developers/contractors/police officers. My step brother did 20 years marines (12 tours in the middle east)and now is a dept of homeland security ranking officer. I mean I could go on. seriously on and on.

and you guys dont think you have anything to learn from me? Shocking. you guys clearly are NOT here to learn. you are here to hear yourself talk. and frankly. most of you dont know jack shxt. sorry not sorry. I probably knew more about this world in '93 when i left the military. sad. carry on.

From Political Roundtable Part XV
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#119 » by stilldropin20 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:11 pm

montestewart wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:This is so odd to me. I'm a poor kid from the south side of chicago. parents were hard core drug dealers and "connected" to be honest. I ended up serving aboard the USS parche and USS Bates as a ships diver and ET/CT tech (now intelligence officer) so i did missions with the SEALS on the bates, then became a 2 sport NCAA div athlete when i went to college, then a doctor/oral surgeon, then successful real estate developer...and none of you think you have anything to learn from me. and in fact you all think you got the entire world figured out and I'm somehow an idiot? Imagine all that is true for a second. and then imagine that I'm 45 and my girlfriend is a 26 year old former playboy model and northwestern grad(which i mentoin just to paint you a picture of the lifestyle i live. A different ex girl friend was a ranking employee of penny pritzker so i was at the christmas party in 2008 among like 80 people in a living room. obama was there all night with the entire cabinet. All my friends are investment bankers/doctors/lawyers/developers/contractors/police officers. My step brother did 20 years marines (12 tours in the middle east)and now is a dept of homeland security ranking officer. I mean I could go on. seriously on and on.

and you guys dont think you have anything to learn from me? Shocking. you guys clearly are NOT here to learn. you are here to hear yourself talk. and frankly. most of you dont know jack shxt. sorry not sorry. I probably knew more about this world in '93 when i left the military. sad. carry on.

bruh, this aint even hall of fame worthy. im just getting warmed up. unearthing that old character. finding my old groove but....you gotta find that thing i did on len bias. from like 2004 or 05. please tell me that's still alive somewhere.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#120 » by montestewart » Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:59 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

bruh, this aint even hall of fame worthy. im just getting warmed up. unearthing that old character. finding my old groove but....you gotta find that thing i did on len bias. from like 2004 or 05. please tell me that's still alive somewhere.

If a post disappears on the internet, will anyone hear it scream?

Return to Washington Wizards